Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#176 Old 31st Jul 2006 at 4:23 PM
thank you so much for this tutorial- At the end of the process i was pathetically happy to see my little brown box-type endtable in the game- and it worked! ;-)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#177 Old 16th Aug 2006 at 11:54 AM
Yay!, it's my first mesh! I've saved this tutorial to my favourites folder because there is no way i'll be able to remember all of it!

If you were I, and I were you, my clothes probably wouldn't fit. And also, there is practically no chance of that ever happening, thank goodness.
Test Subject
#178 Old 19th Aug 2006 at 10:14 PM Last edited by tiggerypum : 20th Aug 2006 at 5:58 AM. Reason: merged threads
Thanks a lot MOd Bv
but I want more tutorials

Where is Part 2.....
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#179 Old 20th Aug 2006 at 6:04 AM
taha,

I'm assuming this tutorial is complete, if a bit elderly.

Writing a step by step tutorial with screenshots and explanations takes a LONG time. The goal of most tutorials is to give you enough info to get started and to show the Sims specific aspects of how to make things.

After a beginners tutorial, you can learn how to use your 3D editor better by using tutorials from the web - just to learn how to do it. Do whatever projects they suggest, just to learn more tools. Then come back and apply what you've learned to making more interesting objects for the game. The techniques for most game objects will be the same - you'll need to bring in a game mesh so that you can get the height and positioning correct, you'll need to uvmap your new mesh, and bring it into the game files.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#180 Old 4th Sep 2006 at 4:16 PM Last edited by masterjosh : 4th Sep 2006 at 4:21 PM.
i got a more recent version of SimPE does anyone know any tutorials for it
Part-time Hermit
#181 Old 4th Sep 2006 at 5:08 PM
This tutorial should work with the most recent version of SimPE.
Test Subject
#182 Old 5th Sep 2006 at 5:19 AM
thanx iIgnorantBliss
Lab Assistant
#183 Old 22nd Sep 2006 at 7:13 PM
Hello,

I followed all the steps the same as in the tut and when I start The Sims 2 My "download" stood in the list with downloads (where you have to allow downloads) but when I checked my endtables in the build mode I came to the very dissapointing fact that there was no endtable from me.

But the endtable I used to clone had a downloading sign.

(I'm sorry for my English )
Part-time Hermit
#184 Old 22nd Sep 2006 at 7:20 PM
Do you mean the original Maxis table you used for cloning has the custom content symbol on it? Then that means that your table, or some other custom content, is probably conflicting with it. Did you make sure you got new GUIDs for all the GUIDs in the clone?
Lab Assistant
#185 Old 22nd Sep 2006 at 7:23 PM
Yes that signs that you get when you have a downloaded object

And Yes I got the guides
Part-time Hermit
#186 Old 22nd Sep 2006 at 9:29 PM
It's hard to say what the problem is, then, or if it's even a problem with your table. Have you tried removing your table from the Downloads folder and see if the Maxis table returns to normal?
Lab Assistant
#187 Old 24th Sep 2006 at 1:55 PM
I solved it, I made a mistake at step 10.
I didn't changed the modelname, but now I did and my object worked.

By the way, thanks for this excellent tutorial.

Tim
Lab Assistant
#188 Old 24th Sep 2006 at 2:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mod_bv
From what I can see from the Wings 3D screen, you need to combine those circles into one big object. You do this by selecting all the objects in the mesh. Then you choose the one you want all of them to be named. Now you right-click, and there shall be an option that says 'Combine'. Click it. You are done!

P.S. After you do the combine, I recommend doing the whole object making process over again, skipping the meshing portions, as to keep from mistakes.

I don't get the option combine
The ModFather
retired moderator
#189 Old 24th Sep 2006 at 5:44 PM Last edited by Numenor : 24th Sep 2006 at 5:54 PM.
In order to have the option "Combine", be sure that the last (rightmost) of the 4 red pyramids is selected (group selection mode); and then click on the groups that you want to combine until they all appear coloured in red (selected). As an alternative, you can select whole models directly from the Geometry Graph, clicking on the red pyramid next to each group name.
Then right-click on the mesh and you should see the "Combine" option.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#190 Old 24th Sep 2006 at 7:43 PM
ok thanks I didn't knew it had to be in the last piramide.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#191 Old 24th Sep 2006 at 8:37 PM
I hope this is the right place, but I have two faces both facing out the same way, with their adjacent edges pretty much the same length and more or less touching. They were not joined before because they belonged to two separate objects which had started off separate due to the way I wanted to UV map them.

Now I would love to weld the two pairs of matching vertices, and/or make them share an edge, but I cannot perform the weld procedure because the vertices are too close together. I can select them both together in a marquee, but I can't select them individually one after the other like the Weld option seems to demand.

I *could* do them in Milkshape which allows you to marquee your vertices and then weld them, but I can't do that either because there are other vertices dirrectly in line in all the available view directions.

I want to join the faces into one plane because of that slight shading anomaly you get when they are not contiguous.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#192 Old 24th Sep 2006 at 9:02 PM
Only the latest Wings 0.98.35 has a vertex welding function, but it can't weld vertices in different objects: the vertices to weld must share an edge.
In cases like this, I usually ensure that the vertices are exactly coincident by selecting each pair and then doing a "scale uniform" to the 0%.

Then, I load the mesh in UVmapper (even the Classic works) and perform a "Weld Vertices". Note that UVmapper only welds vertices perfectly coincident.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

#193 Old 24th Sep 2006 at 9:11 PM
Thanks, I didn't think of doing it in UVmapper! I will give that a go.
#194 Old 25th Sep 2006 at 8:34 AM
Just an update - no, UVmapper wouldn't touch those vertices. It did delete a few when I asked it. I had taken the object through Milkshape (I did finally manage to find the unselect method, which is shift right-click lasso) and flattened the vertices in all 3 directions. Wings was showing 3 vertices there, but there should only have been two from memory of what I had done there. I think something's got corrupted along the way so I am going to start again on that part!
The ModFather
retired moderator
#195 Old 25th Sep 2006 at 9:49 AM
Perhaps I didn't understand... The vertices once belonged to different objects, but now they belong to the same group, right? Then, if they are perfectly coincident (distance = 0.0), UVmapper should do the welding correctly... I do that all the times
But anyway, you have found your way, and this is the important thing

#196 Old 25th Sep 2006 at 10:01 AM
That's right - they *were* different groups (milkshape) or objects (wings) to start with so I could map them more easily. Then I combined them all into one group or object with a view to making the final tidyings to the mesh. But no matter how hard I tried to weld those vertices nothing happened (even though Milkshape if it was failing did so without complaint) and there was still a tiny line like a crack visible. I have changed my design slightly and it's all looking fine so far.
Test Subject
#197 Old 29th Sep 2006 at 12:03 AM
thanks, Milkshape never worked for me.
Lab Assistant
#198 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 3:31 PM
Hi

I want to give the endtable a different color but I don't know how to do that. I've searched for 3 days on the internet to find anything but I didn't understood or I was supposed to use a program were I had to pay for ( and I won't.)

Can you explain me how I make my endtable have an aluminium look or glass or something else, because I don't like the wooden endtable :P
The ModFather
retired moderator
#199 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 4:14 PM
Don't confuse the creation of a new object (which this tutorial refers to) with creating an alternate colour for an existing object (so-called "recolouring").

There are several tutorials for recolouring:
- Wizards of SimPE (the easiest, but applie to Maxis object only)
- Recolouring Objects with Object Workshop (all objects, including custom ones)

The easiest thing to try is to create a different colour for the same material (e.g. recolour a wooden table with a different colour of wood); you can also apply a "metallic" texture on a wooden table, but in order to improve the reflection you have to modify other files than the simple texture, and this isn't explained in the tutorials.
Creating a glass surface where the original is opaque is even harder. I suggest you to try easier recolours, first.

Lab Assistant
#200 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 6:56 PM
Yes but I want to give my object that I've made in wings 3d my own colors
Page 8 of 18