Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#151 Old 21st Oct 2005 at 7:09 AM
Default help :(
I Cant Do It!!!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#152 Old 21st Oct 2005 at 7:37 PM
i don't have tsdata!

Just an anachronism, move along now.
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#153 Old 21st Oct 2005 at 11:48 PM
OK, ewTaK, what's the problem? If you specify what the problem is people can help you out.

labine730- you must have tsdata, otherwise the game wouldn’t run. You can find it in your EA GAMES folder- the folder where all the core information about the game is stored- its most likely location is in your C drive, in program files.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate
Instructor
#154 Old 24th Oct 2005 at 10:16 PM
I'm having a problem w/ a custom career of mine, and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. I changed the daily salary for my career, and all is fine and dandy - *except* when sims get a raise. It's not as noticeable for the lower levels, but once my sims reach the top of the career, they get a negative bonus. I've had a sim lose $5,000 when reaching the top of the career. And yet another sim still made money, but still much less than he should have. It proceeds normally after that, but this is really bothering me. Does anyone know what might be wrong, & how to fix it?
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#155 Old 24th Oct 2005 at 10:17 PM
idtaminger, post your career here and I'll take a look at it.

Instructor
#156 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 1:43 AM
Okie...here.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Career.rar (260.1 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#157 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 11:35 AM
I spotted the error immediately- your final pay for the career is $20,100- SimPE cannot handle this figure. The maximum amount of money you can be paid is $10,000. That’s why the game is messing you about- it's an allergic reaction, so to speak. Changing the value ought to fix the problem

Instructor
#158 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperFly
I spotted the error immediately- your final pay for the career is $20,100- SimPE cannot handle this figure. The maximum amount of money you can be paid is $10,000. That’s why the game is messing you about- it's an allergic reaction, so to speak. Changing the value ought to fix the problem

Really? That sucks. $10,000 is just so measly a figure for a business tycoon.

I have a question though...when you say 10,000, does that mean the cap is 10,000, or is it 10,999? Cuz I know the Eco Guru career in NL makes more than just 10,000 as a daily salary...
#159 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 6:09 PM
what programme do you open the file with. please help
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#160 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 7:15 PM
idtaminger, the maximum, absolute maximum SimPE can handle is 10,000- if you try to alter it the game either screws up, or SimPE automatically fixes the error. If I want a career to have a high ending salary, just lower the wages of the careers below it to give the impression of extreme wealth

RuairidhJ- what file are you talking about?

Instructor
#161 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 9:22 PM
*Raises hand timidly* I've got a couple of custom careers just about finished, I think, but I do have a few questions I'm hoping to get answered before I try posting them. (Please forgive if these have already been addressed elsewhere--I *have* tried to do my homework and look for answers first, but it's a big site and sometimes the info I find is confusing or outdated!)

1. The MTS2 posting guidelines for finished careers specify that all careers should include either translations for all languages, or the default language text copied to all other languages. I loaded one up in SimPE (version 0.48.208735611, Classic GUI) and had a look, and that's something like 900 separate copy-and-paste operations for the level descriptions and titles alone, never mind chance cards! Is there a simple way to just tell the program "Copy all my default language text to all languages across the board"? (I found a check box that said "Default language only" or something similar; is that what it does, or does it make the career just not work with other languages at all?)

2. Does anyone know whether there are any plans for an update to Bidou's Career Editor? I mostly did these two careers the "long" way following Psion's tutorial, but the career editor was so convenient once I found it...

3. Just to verify, if you follow the instructions in the Upgrading Pre-EP Careers thread (http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=49038) does the career remain compatible with the base game? I have no way to test.

4. This one's for SuperFly in particular: Is there a specific reason why you recommend putting 3-4 Chance Cards in each career (apart from just avoiding the appearance of laziness?) I ask because the two I've made (Angel and Demon) don't seem to lend themselves well to a lot of random good outcome/bad outcome scenarios, so I've only come up with 2 per career.

5. And finally, will setting the Chance Card probability for a given card to zero reliably prevent that card from appearing, or is there a preferred way to disable the ones you don't plan to use?

Thanks very much in advance!
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#162 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 9:38 PM
OK...

1) If you create your career with bidou's career editor, languages are automatically put into all languages.

2) I don't know what's happening about bidou's career editor. I hope there is an update coming soon, because there are a couple of things that I think need addressing.

3) If you've followed the instructions correctly, the career will be compatible with all EP's.

4) Chance cards- I recommend at least 3-4 cards out of 10, purely because it makes a career more interesting. However, I do sympathise with you- it is difficult to think up chance cards, and it does get very boring after a while. (I'm almost forcing myself to do complete my chance cards for my current career in the works)

5) Setting a chance cards appearance rate to 0% is the only way to disable a card from coming up. I think there's a way you can alter a behaviour file to do the same thing, but I find that way less safe.

Hope this helps you out- if not, just ask me again to clarify

SuperFly

Test Subject
#163 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 10:39 PM
um the files wont open

My broken scriptures, and shattered dreams, leave me forever forsaken...
Instructor
#164 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 2:11 AM
OK...

1) If you create your career with bidou's career editor, languages are automatically put into all languages.

Hope this helps you out- if not, just ask me again to clarify

It does help very much, and I thank you! However, re. my first question, I did create the careers mostly without the editor, and when I checked out the text fields for the other languages there was nothing there. Does that mean anything?

Anyway, thank you again!
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#165 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 10:47 AM
AmberDiceless, if there are no files there, then they've been commited. However, I would heavily reccomend using bidou's career editor in future- most of my careers were done manually (without the editor)- I always ran into errors with them, mainly through incorrect typing. bidou's editor reduces that error enourmously.

BrokenWican, which files won't open?

Instructor
#166 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 5:24 PM Last edited by AmberDiceless : 27th Oct 2005 at 5:26 PM. Reason: Tag error
AmberDiceless, if there are no files there, then they've been commited. However, I would heavily reccomend using bido u's career editor in future- most of my careers were done manually (without the editor)- I always ran into errors with them, mainly through incorrect typing. bidou's editor reduces that error enourmously. :)

I certainly shall, provided a version comes out that works with the current SimPE. (I didn't find out about the Career Editor until I was mostly done with these careers, I was going just by the tutorial.) :)

I think I can now post my careers. Thanks again for your kind assistance!
Instructor
#167 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 10:17 PM
Another question, this time about the career outfits. From what I've heard, it's not possible at the present time to make custom outfits for custom careers.

But is it possible to just replace a default Maxis career outfit? As usual, Maxis has no fashion sense whatsoever, and alot of the outfits are really annoying the heck out of me.
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#168 Old 28th Oct 2005 at 11:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by idtaminger
Another question, this time about the career outfits. From what I've heard, it's not possible at the present time to make custom outfits for custom careers.

But is it possible to just replace a default Maxis career outfit? As usual, Maxis has no fashion sense whatsoever, and alot of the outfits are really annoying the heck out of me.

If you're taking about switching around what maxis uniform your sim wears to work- that's possible. In bidou's career editor, you can change the uniform using this box:

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Mr Pope\My Documents\I tried to be nice\careeruniforms.jpg[/IMG]

If you're talking about other maxis clothing that aren't uniforms- that can't be done. The link between clothing and careers is probably hidden deep within the Sim 3D files (although I can't be sure- I'm not a game coder)

Hope this helps,

SuperFly

Instructor
#169 Old 28th Oct 2005 at 5:39 PM
Well, what I mean is, is it possible to override the data in the Maxis work-outfit files and thereby make your sim wear a custom outfit?
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#170 Old 28th Oct 2005 at 5:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by idtaminger
Well, what I mean is, is it possible to override the data in the Maxis work-outfit files and thereby make your sim wear a custom outfit?

If only... No-one has yet found how to put custom uniforms into careers. I recently tried altering the textures the uniforms used, but that didn't work- no suprise there... All I can hope for is that someone infinetly more talented than myself discovers the link...

Test Subject
#171 Old 3rd Nov 2005 at 5:34 PM
I haven't really found my way on this forum yet so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but I have a problem making custom careers
I downloaded this tutorial maid for SimPE 0.33
But I have SimPE 5.somethingsomething alpha
and a lot of the stuff in the tutorial just isn't there
and some things just don't work
for example; I tried to open a package.xml from a set of extracted files and the system just crashed
this hasn't anything to do with my computer being crappy cause I'm a .net programmer and that requires a lot of strenght at some times.
is there a way to get SimPE 0.33 so I could just follow the tutorial or are there existing tutorials for my version, or better versions
I don't know
All I want is to make a custom carreer, any help on that is appreciated
greets
WackoMagnifico

PS : please respond using PM so I'll notice it directly
thanks
Test Subject
#172 Old 4th Nov 2005 at 12:58 PM
I succeeded in making a career, I'm working on the chance cards now, but I still have a question
Is it posible to be picked up by a schoolbus in an adult career?
If it is, how??
Instructor
#173 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 12:03 AM
Ahh. Another question. W/Bijou's Career Editor, all that's shown is the name of each career outfit. So how do I find out which is which? Is there a list floating somewhere on the internet? And where exactly are the original career files located btw? In which package?
#174 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 12:32 AM
help!
I'm having some problems opening up the tortorial after I download it, I dont know what to use, help me!
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#175 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 10:47 AM
itaminger, the only way to find out which uniform is which is to test them in the game. Some of the suits are pretty self explanitory anyway, i.e. astronaut. The original career files... I'm not sure, but I'll look into it- I remember you clone them, but where from I cannot remember.

harpiesbro69, you need to unzip the file then read the information inside- http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=62053

Page 7 of 14