Locked thread | Replies: 1478 (Who?), Viewed: 290079 times.
Page 8 of 60
Part-time Hermit
#176 Old 25th Jan 2006 at 10:53 AM
Not that I know, unfortunately.
Test Subject
#177 Old 25th Jan 2006 at 4:36 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 8:57 PM. Reason: Removed old attachments
Default Glow from Neon Counter and Tableskirt
Hi. I was wondering how I can change the color of the glow that shows up on the floor and any nearby objects on the neon counter and bar? I am attaching a pic. (I am new at this, so I hope I do it right.)

I would also like to know if there is a way to make the cloth on the dining table transparent. This is my first time recoloring for Sims 2, so I still have alot to learn!
Screenshots
Part-time Hermit
#178 Old 25th Jan 2006 at 6:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malifecent
Hi. I was wondering how I can change the color of the glow that shows up on the floor and any nearby objects on the neon counter and bar? I am attaching a pic. (I am new at this, so I hope I do it right.)

I would also like to know if there is a way to make the cloth on the dining table transparent. This is my first time recoloring for Sims 2, so I still have alot to learn!

Changing the color of the glow is probably possible, but not in a recolor package. It looks like there already are five different colors for the light the counters cast. I'm not familiar with editing them, though.

You can make the table cloth transparent by editing the Material Definition and texture of the recolor package, but it looks like the is no actual table underneath it, it's just the cloth and the metal stand, so the result may not be what you'd expect.
Lab Assistant
#179 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 1:08 PM
Ok, I am trying to make a TV, and I have tried cloning a tv and editing it, but it is always confusing. Is there a "Ground Up" tutorial for this? The SimPE one doesn't have the info I need. I made a mesh in Milkshape for it, if that matters yet.
Part-time Hermit
#180 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 1:14 PM
There is no specific tutorial for TVs that I know of. Which part of it do you find confusing? Is this the first custom object you've made?
Lab Assistant
#181 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 1:17 PM
No, it's not the first, but I have only made a table with the tutorial. I would like to delete some of the meshes from the tv and put mine in, but I don't know if it is risky.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#182 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 1:35 PM
Moolio - Creating a new television, though it is a more complex object than a table - can be done following the same principles outlined in the tutorial; the steps are always the same:

1) clone the object
2) extract the mesh (including all the parts)
3) edit the mesh keeping the same group names and their number (which forbids you to *delete* some groups: you can at most "reduce" the mesh group to just one little hidden face, but you shouldn't delete it completely)
4) create a UV map for your new mesh
5) reimport the new mesh *replacing* the existing mesh groups.

The only important difference between a television and another object is the "screen" mesh group: you can *modify* it, changing its shape to better fit your new TV, but you can't *add or remove vertices*

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#183 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 1:40 PM
Thanks, but is there a way to just use the meshes I have already made and UV mapped? If I changed the names of the meshes to fit the original, would it work?
Part-time Hermit
#184 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 2:03 PM
Yes, that should work, if all the other steps have been done properly.
Lab Assistant
#185 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 2:20 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 8:57 PM. Reason: Removed old attachment
Default Parts of this object are transparent
This is my first attempt..it's a VERY simple shape (a square column) and yet part of it is transparent! (the base and top section) I have redone the UVMap half a dozen different ways and it still comes out the same way. I am now officially at wits end and seeking help...please
Part-time Hermit
#186 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 2:53 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 9:43 PM. Reason: Removed old attachment
You've got some inverted faces there. In the game, you can only see one side of a face, the backside will appear invisible, even if your mesh program shows both the front and the back. Which mesh program are you using? You should select those particular faces and invert them (in Milkshape it's called Reverse Vertex Order).

Edited to add: Ok, here's the fixed column for you. I imported it into Milkshape, inverted the faces, and it looks fine now .
Lab Assistant
#187 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 3:02 PM
I'm using Blender. I am not sure how I inverted them, as they are simple resized cubes. Maybe I hit a key at some point that did it. I'll pull it in again and see if I can find the inverter function and try again. Thank you for the quick reply too
Part-time Hermit
#188 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 3:09 PM
See my previous post for a fixed version of the column, unless you want to try fixing it yourself first .
Fluffy
retired moderator
#189 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 3:29 PM
daryl,
in Blender it's possible to resize too far
if you scale too much, the objects you're scaling will get turned 'inside out', and you'll have invisible faces
just so you know in the future
Lab Assistant
#190 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 4:20 PM
I went off and fixed it while you were doing the same, but I thank you for that It works just fine too (it's a column, how could it fail? lol) Now on to recolours coz snow is a very boring colour.. Thank you again, IB And thank you Lethe - I will watch for that in future. This has been a great learning experience and my nerves will never be the same...
Manipulator of messy meshes
retired moderator
#191 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 6:03 PM Last edited by boblishman : 26th Jan 2006 at 6:23 PM.
just as a side note to the 'invisible faces' issue.....

You CAN make the game show BOTH sides of a face....and, this way, you can keep your polygon count down on simple shapes like tubes and boxes with open ends.

In the Material Defintition file (MATD) (for the shape you want to see both sides of) change the stdMatCullMode from 'cullClockwise' to 'none'.

This forces the game to display the textures on BOTH sides of a face ....very uselfully for things like leaves, ribbons, paper, anything really thin. (a good example of this is my Alessi Vase.... this is actually a single cylinder that is using alpha channels to make the cut-out men!.)

(be warned though....in the SimPE GMDC plugin view preview window (even after you change the MATD) you cannot see the 'back' of the faces. However it does work in game.....)
Part-time Hermit
#192 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 6:29 PM
Thank you for that useful information, boblishman .
Lab Assistant
#193 Old 27th Jan 2006 at 1:38 AM Last edited by Numenor : 27th Jan 2006 at 2:05 AM. Reason: Attachments removed
Hey, I did everything for the TV, but there are two issues:

1. The TV doesn't appear in the catalog.
2. In the GMDC plugin view preview window the texture isn't applied to all areas of the mesh.

I have attached the package if anyone can fix it.

:comp:
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#194 Old 27th Jan 2006 at 2:05 AM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 9:44 PM. Reason: Removed old attachment
Moolio, you have done a really good work

As for the bad GMDC preview, it's because the mesh name "...-nonreflective" was cut to "...-nonreflect"; once fixed, the TV is displayed correctly in the preview and in game.

As for the catalogue, I havent's found any error, and it appears in my NL game.

I'm attaching the fixed package.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#195 Old 27th Jan 2006 at 2:28 AM Last edited by moolio : 27th Jan 2006 at 2:56 AM.
Thanks for fixing it, I have made many TV designs in Milkshape. I will check out for any errors in names next time.

Update: Ok, I deleted a few meshes I didn't want and I am going to post the TV in the downloads section, with creds to Numenor and IgnorantBliss.
#196 Old 27th Jan 2006 at 6:28 PM
how the hell do use SimPE
Fluffy
retired moderator
#197 Old 27th Jan 2006 at 6:32 PM
damofozz,
I really suggest you actually read one of the tutorials
here's one on recolouring with SimPE http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=102356
and here on making meshes with it http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=104795
what is it you're trying to do?
#198 Old 27th Jan 2006 at 6:37 PM
make an object i made thi thread by accident
Lab Assistant
#199 Old 28th Jan 2006 at 1:37 PM Last edited by Calidan : 28th Jan 2006 at 1:43 PM. Reason: Additional Question
Default CRES Question
Well, I shall ask this here also - as I have had no success (this time or in the past) at getting answers from the SimPE forum :D

Is there a way (using either the latest SimPE or some other tool) to 'merge' one CRES tree with another.

Now before everyone screams that this would be incredibly dangerous (which I am aware of), couldn't the merged tree be left 'unlinked' from the existing tree to allow the modder to then manually go through and relink them in the correct way?

I guess what I'm asking is, transfering all edit blocks from 1 CRES to another - even if all Child node values were taken out to avoid corrupting the exiting tree. It would certainly save on having to manually copy/edit each one across especially where you are looking at 100's of blocks.

[EDIT]
Considering the above questions 'impossible' nature, is it possible for a package file to contain multiple CRES entries and still function as a complete whole. If so, how/what is required to let the game recognise that they all pertain to the same object.
[/EDIT]

Thanks for any input in advance - and apologies is you consider this off-topic for a creation workshop forum

--
Calidan
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#200 Old 28th Jan 2006 at 2:09 PM
Calidan, your first idea can't be done, as long as I know, neither in an "automated" way (SimPE doesn't have such a function), nor manually (because "unlinked" vlocks in the CRES are vely likely to crash the game).

But the second solution is widely used, both in Maxis and custom objects. Look at My Chimera lamp, for instance: each light colour is associated to a separate CRES. All the CRES must be listed iin Text List 0x85 (starting from position #1), and it is possible to "swap" the CRES reference via BHAV: the instructions involved are basically:
0x0002 Expression - Stack object's graphic := [entry# in the Text List 0x85]
followed by
0x0007 Refresh Stack object's graphics

Most of these objects use also a private attribute to store the current model number.

Locked thread
Page 8 of 60