Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Dec 2022 at 12:44 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2
Default Help with SimPe/Super Collection
Hello,

Does anyone have a good tutorial for extracting TS2 objects?

I'm on Mac OS with the "Super Collection" and I would like to use my Windows installation to extract and create package objects from addons not available on Mac in order to have Ikea/H&M/FreeTime/Apartments Life objects...

they have been extracted for the sims 4 so why not for the sims 2 themselves

Thanks
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 6th Dec 2022 at 6:48 PM
There are lots of tutorials here on this site if you go to Sims 2 > Modding > Tutorials at the top of this screen. Are none of them helpful? What's missing from them that you need?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 6th Dec 2022 at 7:11 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 7th Dec 2022 at 5:15 PM.
People have likely made items for their own games, but it's somewhat frowned-upon to upload items that haven't been modified to look/act different in any way from the original EA items. That's why you don't see a lot of unmodified type items (type UC items enabled for Mac SC), or EP items made BG-compatible. I think MTS's policy is that it's not allowed to upload such items (but modifications or items converted between the games are).

Conversions to other games is often handled a bit different since the converted items don't already exist for that game.

Strictly for personal use - extraction of the meshes, textures and anything like that, and how to make objects - you should be able to figure it out using the tutorial section. Making an object mesh is a similar process whether you make it from scratch or extract the pieces, but the level of difficulty could depend on whether the item is animated, morphed or neither.

Any items with extra functions from the EPs wouldn't be functional, since you'd need the higher EPs for them to work.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 6th Dec 2022 at 7:40 PM
My opinion is that EA, before ending their deal with Aspyr, should have made the items from all stuff packs available to Mac simmers, with functions that depend only on Pets(scratching or sleeping on furniture)/Seasons(leftovers in fridges)/maybe BV(if BV has any relevant functionality, can't think of any right now).

In any case, they've abandoned TS2 and I don't see how they would benefit from preventing Mac users from having extracted SP or EP items at this point. 4t2 conversions are probably more harmful to their bottom line at this time since *some* TS2 simmers may be like nah, no point in buying TS4 if I can get 4t2 items instead.

That said, I do respect Mod The Sims's desire to not get on EA's bad side by allowing extracted H&M, Ikea, Teen Stuff, etc. items to be uploaded here. So I agree with simmer22 that you shouldn't try to share your extractions here if it's against MTS policy.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 7th Dec 2022 at 5:23 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 7th Dec 2022 at 5:55 PM.
I don't know why the later packs aren't Mac-friendly to begin with, but I'm guessing it has to do with compatibility of some sort. Going through all those objects would've been a huge job, so might as well just made the entire set available, or not do it at all - I guess they went for the easiest option.

It's possible to play the full collection if you virtually run Windows on the Mac computer and play the game through there, so it's not like it's completely impossible to play all the games on a Mac. It's probably just a more tedious setup process (and quite frankly, getting the game to run on a plain Windows machine is getting increasingly more frustrating as time goes by, too - depending on Windows version and graphics).
Mad Poster
#6 Old 8th Dec 2022 at 2:40 AM
I mean, yeah, Windows programs in general do not work on Macs without a VM, because it's a different operating system. If you want to port them to work on Macs, that takes work and the people doing the work need to have permission to do it. With the packs that weren't converted, presumably they weren't ported because EA withdrew the permission to port them before Aspyr could do that work. There's no technical reason that I know of that any Windows program couldn't be ported to Mac, the limitations are time and money and legal rights to use the content, just like with anything else in software development.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 8th Dec 2022 at 7:39 PM
What kestrellyn said. EA didn't continue their agreement with Aspyr long enough to get all the EPs and SPs ported over. The EPs and last SP M&G are more understandable, as there were new interactions and functionality added but I still think EA sucks for not making an effort to get all the other SPs knocked out by Aspyr before withdrawing.

simmer22, I'm aware I could dualboot my Mac and run Windows on one partition. I just don't care to use Windows; I actively prefer MacOS over Windows. It's the hassle factor, especially if it's Windows 10, which I actively hate (since that's what's on my mother's computer and she can't deal with it either).
Mad Poster
#8 Old 9th Dec 2022 at 3:00 AM
You don't have to dual boot. You can use a VM like Parallels to run Windows inside Mac OS and play on that, it can be any version of Windows you like, in fact it might actually work better on older versions of Windows than Windows 10. Technically it would be "using Windows" but you would really only be "using" it long enough to set up and launch the game, besides that part of it it would just be "playing TS2".
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Dec 2022 at 10:42 AM
Hello,
First of all thank you for your feedback, it is true that I was not aware of the legal aspect of these ports...
although theoretically, having legally purchased both Windows/Mac editions.
I finally decided to use parallel (to my great damn) it must be said that the Mac OS version of The Sims 2 is native in x64 and much more fluid than Windows (still read when using a VM)
I work as a developer, so I decided to take some of my free time (when I'm not playing sims haha) to modify the source code of the Mac OS version with the help of the PPC and Windows version to add the missing things.
It's a long road.