Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#51 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 5:46 AM
In defense of the EA forum, I've found answers and workarounds for problems I've had with my game and answers to questions there when I couldn't find them anywhere else.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#52 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 6:08 AM
That's shady. I'm banking on the adults giving kids items, adults gone crazy or acquired the points in a wrong way.

Though I do know of people who spend loads of money on games. Like they sit at home on their computer all day doing f all buying simpoints via mobile and then share it with others. Just like people who buy gold in MMOs really. They buy gold to give items to people so they will like them. I'm not trying to 'be mean' to the gifters by saying that as they might genuinely be just nice people with a lot of money but there are people stuck in front of the computer with a desperate need to please someone.
Top Secret Researcher
#53 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 8:22 AM
Another possibility (probably wrong)... Alexis and Kerby could be EA employees/cronies who were doing it to encourage people to buy stuff from the store, or encourage people to use the forum.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#54 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 8:28 AM
Simbalena, why would EA ban their own staff?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#55 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 9:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
If you have that kind of cash to give away, give it to people who need it for stuff they need. Down at your local homeless shelter for instance. Or to flood victims in Pakistan. Or whatever comports with your ethics.
FullAck. I'm all for caring about what you care about and against this "Your tying shoelaces for tardos program is pointless when the tardos in Whatchamacallistan don't even have feet!" stuff, but to sell gifting simpoints as social engagement doesn't make sense.

Quote:
I'm not letting EA off the hook, mind:{...}
Of course not. I hate this tertium non datur thinking. There are enough reasons to blame EAxis. I can't understand how anyone would use the store for example. That thing, like all digital distribution systems, grants the customer exactly no rights and grants the seller the right to do basically everything he wishes to do. When it comes to getting effed, I prefer the other, more sweaty kind.

Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Simbalena, why would EA ban their own staff?
For the lulz?

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 9:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
I don't feel moved to act also. I am suspicious of such acts of kindness, especially when the gifting is not singular items, but whole sets and worlds, which is very expensive. Unless they are rich or well-to-do, I couldn't imagine buying simpoints like that in this economic environment.

I wonder what could be simpoints gifting abuse? Are the points being purchased criminally? Could that person be on EA's radar?
Personally i can vouch that they have gifted singular items. I have been one of those people. They never questioned why i wanted them. They just gifted because they wanted to AND they can, well COULD in this case.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 9:35 AM
I have gifted many people...usually when I download a lot of their stuff from the Exchange...I have to be honest and say I don't know how much I have spent in the store...I have everything...and that could add up to a lot of money...but it's my money and I can waste it any way I want LOL...

I don't understand why someone would get banned for gifting...and to lose all of their paid for items...that's jacked up...but I keep my stuff on a back-up disc for that reason...you never know...

...I can't wait to hear how this pans out...

"Too long a sacrifice can make a stone of the heart." - William Butler Yeats
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 9:54 AM
I am katierose33 I was banned and i am not a gifter i have given to a few friends but thats it... more the half my store stuff came from Alexurt. All i did was post on the fourm that it was unfair that such giving people were banned...I am a college student on a budget. I gifted because it made me happy when my friends were happy. Now i can not log on to my account and i have no way to redownload the things i have bought. tell me how its fair that I get banned for sticking up for friends
#59 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 10:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Alexurt
{...}and to make it clear to you all... if you look at the BOYCOTT page (which i did not create)...i have plenty pictures proving what I buy.. EA CASH CARDS in mass... so please stop with the crap that I was fraudulently using CC's..I have a Centurion (American Express Black Card for you 10 years olds)... no need for a piddly Visa..so if you want to assume you know... get the facts...otherwise...stfu
You're showing off like a 12, and you're writing like a 12. As far as I am concerned, that doesn't improve your standing in the least.

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#60 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 10:09 AM
Be nice, dammit!

Be kind, courteous, and respectful of your fellow users. If you cannot do this, then do not post. I understand that this may be a heated discussion because it involves EA, financial stuff, and banning, but ya still have to be nice to each other. Don't be a jackass. I will be keeping a close eye on this thread.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#61 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 10:57 AM
I feel mean now, I have never gifted anyone from the store

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#62 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 11:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Alexurt
I will make this short and sweet.

1) I have my store content backed up...im not an idiot

2) @Srikandi... I have enough to give to whatever I want virtual or not..and btw... I donate lots to charity...and im a successful business owner

3) 5 people have been banned so far... Kerby, katierosee33, jensonbuttongirl, Louiese(with numbers) and myself...

and to make it clear to you all... if you look at the BOYCOTT page (which i did not create)...i have plenty pictures proving what I buy.. EA CASH CARDS in mass... so please stop with the crap that I was fraudulently using CC's..I have a Centurion (American Express Black Card for you 10 years olds)... no need for a piddly Visa..so if you want to assume you know... get the facts...otherwise...stfu

Edit to add:

NONE OF US have received emails as to why we were banned and the reason we got from EA CS was "UNKNOWN"

So please SHUT UP!

Alexurt! katierose33! I miss you guys!!! (I miss kerby too) I agree that people gift because they feel like it, and not because they have some "hidden agenda". I have only been able to gift about 1000 points worth, but the feeling I got from gifting, made me wish I had 10000000 points to gift.

Please, don't let the ignorance of others bring you down. Your kindness has lifted so many others. I am heartbroken about the ban. Best wishes to you all!!!
Test Subject
#63 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 11:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaospilot
That's shady. I'm banking on the adults giving kids items, adults gone crazy or acquired the points in a wrong way.

Though I do know of people who spend loads of money on games. Like they sit at home on their computer all day doing f all buying simpoints via mobile and then share it with others. Just like people who buy gold in MMOs really. They buy gold to give items to people so they will like them. I'm not trying to 'be mean' to the gifters by saying that as they might genuinely be just nice people with a lot of money but there are people stuck in front of the computer with a desperate need to please someone.

Mostly I dont even have a lot of spare time. Im working and playing only on my day offs. And I have been gifting people....I think most of the gifters are like me. That is why they have the money...
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 1:36 PM
Hi
My name is Couriervaughan. I want to thank Alex, Kerby and Louise for wonderful gifts that you all gifted to simmers in sims 3 forum.
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 1:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Put me in the group that worries about anybody spending "thousands of dollars" that way in the first place.

If you have that kind of cash to give away, give it to people who need it for stuff they need. Down at your local homeless shelter for instance. Or to flood victims in Pakistan. Or whatever comports with your ethics.

Would assisting those suffering from PTSD qualify as a charity in your ethics? I am disabled, living on Social Security Disability. I suffer from PTSD, Panic Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, and a few other illnesses. I also play The Sims and other computer games (as well as surf the Web) for hours each day. My wife and I have barely over $100 per month for groceries for the both of us.

So, why do I play computer games? Why "waste" money on the internet? Because it is therapy. My doctor has told me very recently that my almost compulsive gaming is not OCD (I was a bit concerned that it might be). She stated that my gaming is my way of having control over one aspect of my life when I don't really have control over so many other aspects of it.

Playing computer games as much as I do helps prevent the daily nightmares better than any medication I have ever taken. You don't know how miserable life can be until you are afraid to go to sleep because of what awaits you in your dreams.

Some people give money to others for various reasons - to get a better place in the afterlife, to get good karma, to help those in need, because they feel sorry for someone, for tax purposes, etc. If a person has the wealth, they can spend it however they like.

We all "waste" money on things that we buy. We eat out when we could just pack a lunch. We go to the movies or watch cable, instead of watching free broadcast TV. We turn up the heat, instead of wearing a sweater or a coat. The more money you have, the more you "waste". But you know what? That's how it works! I would LOVE to have some of the money that many of you probably "waste" on Starbucks or the new, slightly bluer shirt. But hey, that's YOUR money! Not mine. YOU get to choose how to spend it. If that means a new computer every 6 months, while I use am 8 year old one, that's my problem - no one else's. And while I may envy you, I try not to judge other people's spending habits. They aren't me and I'm not them.
Field Researcher
#66 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 2:11 PM
I think you're missing the point here. Of course people can spend their money however they like. I don't think anyone's suggesting we make laws banning the rich from making frivolous purchases. But in this case, we're being asked to support the cause and it's hard to really care when most of us don't even support the Store and disagree with the concept of spending thousands of dollars to buy virtual items. Is it "judging" simply because our priorities are different from theirs? We're not stopping them (nor do we want to) from doing whatever they want with their well-earned cash but personally I'm just not moved by their plight so I don't have the motivation to act even if I were capable of doing something.

It's like, I dunno, if someone donates 100 million dollars to a charity called 'Genetic Engineering of Pink Furred Gorillas'. I don't particularly care what they do with their money but I'm not gonna laud them as a hero either because the genetic engineering of gorillas is pretty low on my priorities.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#67 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 2:18 PM
Something tells me a Facebook boycott will go about as far as a fart in a hurricane.
Instructor
#68 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 2:44 PM
It's funny to me how some people think creating facebook petitions, boycotts or anything along that line will always succeed. Even if EA staff are on Facebook, they'd probably be playing FarmVille and wouldn't even know such boycotts even existed. Maybe they'd take them seriously if you broke into their houses, pointed a gun at their faces and said 'Check out the boycott and fear it or I'll blow your brains off" lol
Test Subject
#69 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 2:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Something tells me a Facebook boycott will go about as far as a fart in a hurricane.

Sadly, I agree . They are not really listening to the fans anyway. But Im doing my share and not buying simspoints before there is an explanation to this.

Mostly I think prizes at EA store are just ridiculous, but what can I do when they took the bodyshop away ...I don´t like use too much cc in my game because it slows the game and can cause other issues despite they usually are better looking from EA:s.

edit: Oh, sorry double post!
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 2:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Princess Leia
I think you're missing the point here. Of course people can spend their money however they like. I don't think anyone's suggesting we make laws banning the rich from making frivolous purchases. But in this case, we're being asked to support the cause and it's hard to really care when most of us don't even support the Store and disagree with the concept of spending thousands of dollars to buy virtual items. Is it "judging" simply because our priorities are different from theirs? We're not stopping them (nor do we want to) from doing whatever they want with their well-earned cash but personally I'm just not moved by their plight so I don't have the motivation to act even if I were capable of doing something.

It's like, I dunno, if someone donates 100 million dollars to a charity called 'Genetic Engineering of Pink Furred Gorillas'. I don't particularly care what they do with their money but I'm not gonna laud them as a hero either because the genetic engineering of gorillas is pretty low on my priorities.

I was not posting about the general thread, I commented specifically about Srikandi's comment that they are worried by anyone that gives away thousands of dollars in Sim Points gifts and that it is better to use that money in other ways.

How anyone specifically feels about Alexis and Kerby and the others that have been banned is up to them. Personally, I feel that EA went about this in the wrong way. If there was a question about the validity of the Sim Points, EA should have initiated an investigation. They obviously have Alexis and Kerby's information and could contact the authorities and stores in their area to see if there have been reports of any large thefts of Sim Points Cards. Since these Cards must be activated to be used, there would have to be some sort of electronic trail which would lead from the stolen cards to the account. We live in the Computer Age. Surely EA has methods of finding out which Cards were activated at which stores, when and then added to which Accounts. The Cards have Codes on them that you have to enter to put them on your Account! Surely they track those! If not,

Then, if they found sufficient reason via any of those methods to suspect Alexis and Kerby, the Accounts should have been suspended, pending a full investigation - with the Sim Points/Store Activity locked. Alexis and Kerby should have been given immediate notice of the investigation and given an opportunity to provide any documentation showing that the points were purchased legitimately - such as Credit Card receipts.

Finally, if there was sufficient evidence to show that actual illegal activity was taking place, EA should file a report with the authorities in the proper jurisdiction, ban the Accounts completely and allow the courts to do their duty. With the amount of money involved, such theft would be a felony offense.

Suspending/banning customers and informing them it is for "Unknown Reasons" is simply unacceptable in my opinion. Especially apparently wealthy and well liked customers. At least give a reason. Something.

No, this boycott won't bring EA to its knees. I don't think anyone expects that. But for every one customer with a bad experience, statistically they tell 12 of their friends/family. If even half of those avoid EA in the future, that is a hit to EA's wallet. Perhaps not a large hit percentage-wise, but a hit none-the-less. And investors don't like seeing this sort of thing. Bad publicity about Customer Service is not desirable, no matter what company you are.
Inventor
#71 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 3:18 PM
Some people dedicate a lot of time to this game and other simmers, making cc, mods and helping others. Others spend their money on simpoints and dedicate that to other simmers. How is this any different (especially if you count time as money) ? So why be suspicious of those who spend there money, it's their way of giving to the community (everyone does their part differently and last time I checked, this site was one of the most helpful pages there is out there). Every modder, cc creator (most of them anyway) and helper only gets the thanks of other simmer, but I for my part, love helping others. It makes me smile, when another game finally is working or a problem bites the dust. It's a good feeling. For Alex, Louise, Kerby and the others, it's giving what makes them smile. How can that be a bad thing ?

I myself have gotten quite a few gift and I am very grateful for those who gave stuff to me. I do get that EA might get suspicious about it, but I a little explanation would be nice.
Scholar
#72 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 3:18 PM
Alright, so I just skimmed this topic a bit.

So there are some complaints, I guess that's pretty legitimate. Bad service sucks. But this talk of a boycott? Yeah, good luck with that few dozen compared to the upwards of a million+ of sales that EA makes. You're better off actually complaining to some staffer than posting about boycotts on a free-service site.

So, let me get this straight. I never really go to their site, so I assume "gifting" is purchased goods that are then gifted away to random people or something? Or whatever. Basically: person buys something, person gives it away. Thousands of dollars worth? Okay, let me use an example from an MMO I play; it's Free 2 Play, but also does use cash and has a cash shop and such. There are some equipments that could literally cost you hundreds of dollars (yes, seriously; it has to do with the sheer amount of material needed to manufacture those equips). And that could be just for one piece; for a whole character build, you could be looking up towards, quite literally, past the thousand dollar mark.

And you are saying that these people would just give away these equips. Possible? Yes. Probable? About as probable as I being the reincarnation of the evil Lord Xenu and hold a massive war against Cthulhu himself (ALL HAIL THE MIGHT OF CTHULHU!). I got to side with that that whole situation reeks of suspicion. It's a video game, not a freaking charity. If they're spending that much on it? Wow, either someone's filthy rich, or going into some serious debt.

And some of the rest (not all of it, of course)? QQing and raging. Plain and simple.

Is that a shillelagh in your pocket, or are you just sinning against God?
Forum Resident
#73 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 3:19 PM
You know, food banks are low on food with the recession and all. If you have extra money send it their way instead of buying virtual toys for strangers. And there are a lot of other charities that deal with real people as well. It's really starting to sound like this gift-giving thing was just a popularity contest anyway, or a "I got more gifts than you" game. I really don't know what's going on, but until (or if) I hear form EA what happened I'm not calling anyone a "bad guy", but I'm also not going assume anyone is guiltless either.

Why would I say that? Because I once worked with a woman who always giving people people gifts to the point of not being able to pay her own bills with no regard for her husband and two kids. She once bought a "friend" $1000 worth of clothes. Luckily her husband stepped in, went to that "friends" house and collected the clothes and returned them. He had to threaten to call the police first, though. But they all thought the husband was the bad buy. She kept trying to buy co-workers gifts but we all refused them, which pissed her off and she would then make up stories about us and bad mouth us to the boss (who luckily didn't believe her.) She eventually quit.

@Maxianaconda - If I owned a forum and saw language like that I would ban you too. It doesn't help your case any.

So, here I am... waiting to find out what happened... or at least until the thread gets locked...

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Test Subject
#74 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 3:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaospilot
If you actually read my post again without feeling like you are under attack

Don´t worry about it . I didn´t get that feeling. I was just sharing my opinion. Was it too strong? I didn´t mean to hurt your feelings .
#75 Old 9th Oct 2010 at 3:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Daelda
Personally, I feel that EA went about this in the wrong way.
Does anyone actually disagree with that? EA's information/communication behavior is terrible.

Quote:
If there was a question about the validity of the Sim Points, EA should have initiated an investigation. They obviously have Alexis and Kerby's information and could contact the authorities and stores in their area to see if there have been reports of any large thefts of Sim Points Cards.{...}
IF there are actual signs of wrongdoing, then they could or should file a report with the authorities and leave the investigation to them. Any personal information, including where a credit card has been used and whether a crime has been committed, is NONE of EA's business.

BTW: No one at EA gives a damn about the question if these gift cards were legitimately purchased as long as they weren't owned by EA at the time they switched hands. If they're from some store, then EA already got the money for them.

Page 3 of 17