Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Locked thread | Replies: 23017 (Who?), Viewed: 1211267 times.
Page 660 of 920
Field Researcher
#16476 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterfurby
That may be a sign that nostalgia is influencing your judgement.

As for the graphics style - what's wrong with it? I much prefer the more Pixar-esque look (after all, let's face it, the Sims world does not attempt to create a realistic setting and never has, more a caricature thereof) since Sims in TS3 often veered deeply into uncanny valley...

Because Pixar-esque doesn't mean flat and bland. I would never expect the sims to look 100% exactly like, say, this:

But look at the differences in texture -- the underside of that table is more detailed than most of the wood in TS4. Same with the cardboard box, and Woody's shirt, and Jessie's braids. Some things are flat, sure -- the walls, Jessie's shirt and hat -- but it doesn't matter as much because there are so many interesting things done with the simpler art style. Whereas in TS4, there's no fine attention to detail. Nothing stands out, nothing catches the eye, nothing inspires a second look or a closer look. A cartoony Sims game is a great idea in theory, but EAxis have bungled the practice.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#16477 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:13 PM Last edited by kjones : 14th Aug 2014 at 4:24 PM.
My confusion about the woohoo vid is that you select the sim you are going to woohoo in a menu. So if you are home alone do you get the ultimate booty call where the partner instantly and magically appears in your house?
Scholar
#16478 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjones
My confusion about the woohoo vid is that you select the sim you are going to woohoo in a menu. So if you are home alone do you get the ultimate booty call were the partner instantly and magically appears in your house?

No, we sext them with our super smartphones and then their smartphone teleports them to your house.

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Lab Assistant
#16479 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChillgood
No, we sext them with our super smartphones and then their smartphone teleports them to your house.

Oh so sexting is now floorplay and when the sim teleports it is game on.....ok weirder I guess :/
Field Researcher
#16480 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:18 PM Last edited by YesPlease : 14th Aug 2014 at 4:26 PM. Reason: damn links
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskie227
Given the inherent risk of death from excessive anything in this go around, limiting fun is more to keep your sim alive than to keeping them happy. New gaming strategy. Don't try to fill the bars all the way up, you might push your sim over the edge.

Which likely explains the cold, calculating negotiations before woohoo as well. Don't want to get carried away and have Grimy show up just because you had 2 orgasms in a row by accident.

Ooh, subtle new game play strategy balancing.

Reminds me of the Golden Girl's episode where one of Rose's dates has a heart attack after woohoo. Ironically, Rose's husband died that way, too. I guess she's not the prude everyone thinks she is:

So, death by woohoo would definitely make for a weirder and emotional storyline.

I like the idea of choosing foreplay/no foreplay. As someone mentioned earlier, sometimes you just want a quickie.

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. ~ Katharine Hepburn
Field Researcher
#16481 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Babilon
I'm pretty sure Glic2000 was being sarcastic, because nothing can really justify the graphics style of TS4 other than some deliberate decision to not have it progress.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. "Uncanny valley" was one of the terms they tossed out when they were justifying TS4's art stye.

But the real reasons for the art style are: make the game run well on low-end computers, and keep the game's budget as low as possible.

If The Sims had graphics on par with Battlefield 4, I don't think we'd see a lot of people complaining. I think we'd see more people saying, "this looks fucking incredible."
Field Researcher
#16482 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne
Something I meant to mention--I'm not going to reload the woohoo vid to check, but didn't it pop up a menu of who you wanted to Try For Baby with? Like, Sim A clicked 'Try For Baby' (somewhere) and then a list of eligible sperm/egg donor portraits popped up?

I guess I AM going to go rewatch, because having typed it out, that sounds pretty dang cold and clinical.

EDIT: Yep. You click on the bed and then select an eligible breeding partner. Le sigh.

The thing I find hilarious about that pic is the interface has 9 slots in it. For some reason, I thought you could multi-select and woohoo with 9 other people at the same time.
Mad Poster
#16483 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne
Something I meant to mention--I'm not going to reload the woohoo vid to check, but didn't it pop up a menu of who you wanted to Try For Baby with? Like, Sim A clicked 'Try For Baby' (somewhere) and then a list of eligible sperm/egg donor portraits popped up?

I guess I AM going to go rewatch, because having typed it out, that sounds pretty dang cold and clinical.

EDIT: Yep. You click on the bed and then select an eligible breeding partner. Le sigh.

Yeah, there's nine slots in that menu...........This is deeper gameplay? Maybe the target sim can refuse? I would have to see more. (But then again, why bother?) Feel sorry for Shania Twain.
Lab Assistant
#16484 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:26 PM
Well they wanted the sims to stay home more, so orgies are now emotional, weird, and a group activity.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#16485 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:28 PM
Also look at the filters, you seem to be able to filter your potential prey by Friends, Family, Romantic Interests or All. I'm waiting for the day when Grandpa appears on the Family list "by accident".
#16486 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjones
Well they wanted the sims to stay home more, so orgies are now emotional, weird, and a group activity.
That's one of the results of them secretly filming the developers' parties. They counted that 9 was enough for a full circle
Instructor
#16487 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:33 PM
Regarding the talk going on about TS4 graphics, I personally wouldn't want it to look like Battlefield 4, or Dragon Age or whatever. Those graphics are great, but they are too realistic for my liking. What would I want it to look like, you asked? No? I'll show you anyways,

Maybe someday?
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glic2000
The thing I find hilarious about that pic is the interface has 9 slots in it. For some reason, I thought you could multi-select and woohoo with 9 other people at the same time.

A bro can never have enough hoes to choose from.
Lab Assistant
#16488 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:35 PM
Quote:
That's one of the results of them secretly filming the developers' parties. They counted that 9 was enough for a full circle

Thanks for that mental image of the TGIF parties.....ya know there are things that can't be unseen!
Lab Assistant
#16489 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiAnkhiar
Regarding the talk going on about TS4 graphics, I personally wouldn't want it to look like Battlefield 4, or Dragon Age or whatever. Those graphics are great, but they are too realistic for my liking. What would I want it to look like, you asked? No? I'll show you anyways,

Maybe someday?
-

A bro can never have enough hoes to choose from.

Well that will never happen, there is clearly a toddler in the first picture!
#16490 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiAnkhiar

Maybe someday?
Except for the character design that's not that far away from Dragon Age or any other AAA game.
Instructor
#16491 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:37 PM
Aw, can't put my household on the Gallery because apparently my Sim's name is slang for the female reproduction organ in Portuguese. O.o
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16492 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:38 PM
Vss2eip - Bahaha oh you can't just tell us that and not tell us what the sim's name is.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#16493 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HystericalParoxysm
Vss2eip - Bahaha oh you can't just tell us that and not tell us what the sim's name is.

My bet is on Xana :D
Forum Resident
#16494 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:41 PM
Wait.. where did they confirmed that there are no "family trees"?
Instructor
#16495 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:43 PM
Quote:
Except for the character design that's not that far away from Dragon Age or any other AAA game.

Yeah I wouldn't want the character design to be so cartoony. A more realistic stylized would do it for me.
#16496 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vss2eip
Aw, can't put my household on the Gallery because apparently my Sim's name is slang for the female reproduction organ in Portuguese. O.o
Which reminds me that the new forums now censor words not with asterisks anymore but by replacing the offensive word with "plum" - which just happens to be one of the slang words for the female reproductive organ in my language
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16497 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:50 PM
I'm guessing your language doesn't really do a translation of Little Jack Horner as a popular childhood poem then...

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#16498 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:51 PM
Quote:
Which reminds me that the new forums now censor words not with asterisks anymore but by replacing the offensive word with "plum" - which just happens to be one of the slang words for the female reproductive organ in my language

And whoever set up the censor words obviously couldn't type. I just saw a thread where the word "Pizza" was censored right below a thread that was filled with all kinds of "shittys" and "bullshits".
I know it's off-topic, but the new official forum design is providing me with some serious laffs.
Good times.
Scholar
#16499 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssimone
And whoever set up the censor words obviously couldn't type. I just saw a thread where the word "Pizza" was censored right below a thread that was filled with all kinds of "shittys" and "bullshits".
I know it's off-topic, but the new official forum design is providing me with some serious laffs.
Good times.

There was a thread title that said "Damn" in the topic list but became "Plum" in the header.

"Cocktail" was also once censored. Would have made it hard to talk about the Mixology skill and career.

I imagine Bella or Amber saying "Plum!" in a really high voice instead of a bleep.

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Lab Assistant
#16500 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:57 PM
Regarding the woohoo video, the sims look like they are just laying under the covers on their own side of the bed flopping about. They don't even look like their touching. Maybe they decided it would be to mature to have them make out and touch.

Locked thread
Page 660 of 920