Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jun 2022 at 11:32 PM Last edited by chitownriverscum : 19th Jun 2022 at 2:19 AM.
Default No. 1 Ladies' Detective clothes
Howdy folks. Here I go, foolishly starting another neighborhood to add to my collection, thereby potentially crippling my overworked MacBook. But might as well go down in style - in this case, Gaborone style, taken from HBO's adaptation of Alexander McCall Smith's detective novels. Jill Scott plays Precious Ramotswe, a lady private detective of "traditional build" as she says (Scott was conveniently pregnant at the time of the filming). So I need some rather large ladies' dresses in traditional Botswana printed fabric (or a reasonable facsimile thereof)... see photo. Or is it actually an extra-large body type that I need? Maybe both? Yeah... for someone who's played this game for so long, I don't really know what the hell I'm doing half the time.

Anyhow, most of the other characters can be pieced together from sources of content already known to me, but clothes for the oversized Sim are tricky to acquire. The only other thing I might need help with is Desmond Dube's "BK" character's exotic headwear: the narrow-brimmed straw trilby often worn by men in sunny climates like Southern Africa and the Caribbean. Preferably patterned, but that's a stretch: quality Sim hats are likewise few and far between. He also wears a sort of knit skullcap/beret hybrid, but that kind of thing existed in the original Maxis catalog, supposedly a military-stye beret that didn't really look like one. His flamboyant shirts, as well as Mma Makutsi's (Anika Noni Rose) outlandish hairdos should be no trouble to find. I'm told that hair stylists in Botswana are in constant demand; likewise, exotic hair creators in the simming world are never not busy.

UPDATE: Okay, I lied. I DO need help finding BK's eye-popping outfits. I guess I just don't know what tags to search that would match up with those used by the Sim fashion creators. Sort of long-sleeved Hawaiian shirts? I don't know. Some of them have flower designs, but searching for "Floral" in the MTS Menswear dept. came up with just about nothing... not even any Hawaiian stuff. I guess I'll have to just scroll through every download page. I did find a couple of '60s/'70s outfits on All About Style, but they're not quite what I'm after. ANyhow, anyone with a bright idea, hit me.

Thanks again.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 21st Jun 2022 at 11:59 PM
I find that Parsimonious Sims at parsimonious.org is great for very colorful men's clothing. Maybe you could find some suitably floral men's outfits for your male sim.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jun 2022 at 4:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMposiast
I find that Parsimonious Sims at parsimonious.org is great for very colorful men's clothing. Maybe you could find some suitably floral men's outfits for your male sim.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot! I did find some stuff that's... okay on MTS, but some of them are a little too bulky of downloads for the quality of the clothing. ANyhow, I'll see what Parsimonious has.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Jun 2022 at 4:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMposiast

Wow, I'd totally forgotten how CRAZY their stuff is; much of it's too outlandish even for BK, but I did find a couple of their outfits that looked the part.
That site should be required viewing for any aspiring Sims fashion designer (providing one has the retinal fortitude)... It's a real eye-opening education on what is possible to achieve. You do have to wonder, though, what sort of brain chemistry might have been involved in the creation of some of those ensembles Thank you again for reminding me of the site.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 29th Jun 2022 at 10:39 PM
You're welcome, glad you found a couple things to use.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Jun 2022 at 12:32 PM
Wasn't sure if it would fit, so I decided to see if anyone else came up with something first (also I might have been interested as well. African clothing is hard to find).

There are african print dresses, tops and skirts here. https://barbiepinklady.tumblr.com/p...-african-female

However, they're normal Maxis size and aren't exactly like the dresses in your pictures.

I use them, so I included pics of the fat morphs in case that works better (my version of the short, tight dress looks a little different because my prudish brain insisted on lengthening the skirt and I shoeswapped it because the included shoes made my feet hurt just to look at them. XD But the shape in general is unchanged).
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Jul 2022 at 10:47 PM
Charity -
No, that's all great. Really nice patterns, and although they don't come big enough for Mma Ramotswe, there are plenty of other folks in town who would look good in those. Thanks a bunch!
Instructor
#8 Old 3rd Jul 2022 at 12:14 AM
I thought of these - they're not spot on in style for Mma ramotswe, but I think the Momma Lisa mesh would fit the traditionally built. Left side outfit here could also be useful, maybe?

Pretty please, if you're making sims from the series, may we see pictures? I've only seen a few episodes, but I loved the cast and I've read all the books and loved them too.