Replies: 55 (Who?), Viewed: 35311 times.
Page 3 of 3
Test Subject
#51 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 3:49 PM
I'm not sure if this is related entirely, but I notice if you cause the alt-tab glitch in the final game it makes that character's face looking around picture appear (as) below. That's never really used in the release from what I remember, brings me a bit of unsurity of what/why it's there and what it would've been used for.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#52 Old 4th Dec 2020 at 10:33 PM Last edited by Burnziie : 5th Dec 2020 at 4:55 AM.
Unsure if it's been mentioned before from what I've seen but I've rewatched the Steering Comittee video and noticed something particular.
There's this early live mode HUD shown, and it has what seems like a really early model of what the final uses as the "No Portrait" pictures and in some early game footage (like the 99 Gamestar one.) As well as Crazy Larry from one of the original pictures posted in this thread by Lucpix.

However there also seems to be 2 extra motives with Room named as Envir. Another couple are mentioned in the bit below.

Now there was also something else I found with a lot of the 95-96 era Sims that shows some of the animations and how the characters sprites worked, including a nice good look at the trees! I'll put this in the spoilers because there's a lot to unpack. Since I can't post the PDF it'll picture the whole doc page by page. Unfortunately all links at the bottom were completely dead.

On a side note, wasn't Ross' original Steering Comitte outfit used in the Sims Online? I know his head and newer clothes are used and named after him in the final. Hopefully then it's not permamentally lost. I know Mercedes has her head and outfit used in the final game, however Sam's head and outfit wasn't in the files from what I remember.

Edit: Hopkin's site has some more design documents. Might be some good finds in them. I've saw a mockup of the brain HUD thus far
https://donhopkins.com/home/TheSims/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#53 Old 8th Dec 2020 at 11:41 PM Last edited by LUCPIX : 9th Dec 2020 at 12:39 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnziie
I'm not sure if this is related entirely, but I notice if you cause the alt-tab glitch in the final game it makes that character's face looking around picture appear (as) below. That's never really used in the release from what I remember, brings me a bit of unsurity of what/why it's there and what it would've been used for.

Hey @Burnziie; . Haha we love some of these scaring thumbnail corruptions eh - are both of them supposed to show the head of the same Sim (being twins) or is it another glitch? Don't be afraid! I'm not really sure it is a phenomenon that happens SINCE the Vanilla game but, once a Sim is generated, so are their thumbnails, including the ones we see during the game and the ones above -- apparently, the engine creates 3 different versions of the "Active Character" faces, either leftovers from pre-release versions or technically meant-to-be-used templates that can only be triggered under IMPOSSIBLE conditions. Just to clarify, this is how the maid looks like when we "ask" her to use the three templates. I'm not a BIG fan of the third one as it makes it easy for all the skins of adults to be partiallycropped out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnziie
Unsure if it's been mentioned before from what I've seen but I've rewatched the Steering Comittee video and noticed something particular.
There's this early live mode HUD shown, and it has what seems like a really early model of what the final uses as the "No Portrait" pictures and in some early game footage (like the 99 Gamestar one.) As well as Crazy Larry from one of the original pictures posted in this thread by Lucpix.

However there also seems to be 2 extra motives with Room named as Envir. Another couple are mentioned in the bit below.

Loads of us might've left this interface behind, thanks for remembering and for sending the documents/95's shots. Finally we can say we have seen Mr. Crazy Larry live on the Sim hood, even if superficially. And, God, it's even older than the said 1998 version, that primitive Duchess could with ease be the daughter of what she would eventually become. I have something below to talk about a couple of these moods, specially Stress! The lighting of the characters is interesting, resembles something we would see in a Dreamcast game, but anyways! I gave the documents a read (the first one of future many!) and brings us a more "theoretical" perspective over everything that has been at least thought out for the game, such as the Cooking TV shows (as we know later put into reality in Sims 2) and some of us eventually can list here the complete discarded features these docs mention. Big thank one more time!

===================================================================================================================================================

TO-DO: Unused sprites explained + 2 new pre-release webcam videos + Share the recently found high-quality versions of the known food render pictures + those massive amount of Sim WebCam pictures from 1999 or earlier.

13.05.1999 Let's start off gawping at the Sims 1 stand there at E3 1999!

New video! TS1 Unused/Circumstantial Vox

"A couple of sound effects and voice recordings on the (base game of) The Sims that never get the chance of being called by the Sims/objects or, if they do, are under very specific conditions.

We obviously weren't entirely sure about the "unusedness" of one or two of them in spite of the several in-game experiments as it sometimes can be a complex task, so I'm pinning a comment on this video with a couple of digressions and theories over all that, of which you of course can be a part!

Two programs were used to find the sound files: SimTalk (1999) - specially the children's ones - and FarEdit (for those included in the game's files)"

New video! [6/6] Sims Webcam Archive 8.18.99

"One of the multiple compilations of live streams hosted by Luc Barthelet and the whole The Sims gang months before the game's first release, from March 1999 to February 2000! The purpose was to show to all of the Maxis/SimCity 3000 aficionados the life simulator's WIP as they would also ask their audience to think of scenarios that could be reproduced during these live streams"

+ More unused sprites

The strings and commands that call the sprites (images) used, for example, as the conversation icons or the little bar above the heads of Sims that shows you the progress they're doing with a certain skill are found within the file GameData/Sprites.iff. Let's see those that are never seen during our day-to-day gameplay:

1- hdlineDrunk - even if, as stated in one of the e-mails inside SimWatch's mailist, Sims weren't wired to get drunk.
2- hdlineHate - you can suppose it was once used when two Sims had a very low relationship score, the natural opposite of the Love status.
3- hdlineIdea - planned to be used when a Sim improved one skill?
4- hdlineHurt - the Sims from the Base game don't feel sick or physically hurt in a way that doesn't kill them, except if we consider the Attack interaction and the initial lack of Cooking skill that makes them to accidentally hurt their fingers
5- hdlineLove - well, there is a used Love sprite in the final game, although it is a lot less cartoony and its icon is just ONE heart
6- hdlineSmell - it is not used, but Sims are programmed to be hygienically negligent, of course
7- hdlineStress - Stress is mentioned at different versions of the game as a motive of its own - in the final game, it is taken more or less as the opposite effect of the Fun mood?

This bunch of never-spoken-by-Sims conversation topics was first mentioned in this thread's first "actual" post, but it is worth it being mentioned again given this extra detail - if you're playing the base game and you run the "interests" cheat code, you'll get to know the actual names from these unused topics: Spooky Stuff, Babies and Beauty. My theory is that they were meant to be one of those subjects that are primarily spoken by children, specially if we remember that children have a considerably big number of talk voice tracks, of different intensities other than just the "upbeat" ones we know, that are never played in-game, which wasn't a good idea as it makes their conversations way more repetitive than the adult ones normally are.

Way more Sims Webcam pictures:
Tiny fragments of Sims screenshots sent by the Maxis crew during and after beta livestreams so the hyped future Simmers would have something to discuss about that funny TBD game called The Sims and publish cool new information on their blog, kind of as we are doing now, even if by a totally different perspective. Again, they knew everything about the betas but wanted the final game, and we are the vice-versa! Here goes a compilation of Sims Webcam pictures found in several sites. Do not only note the obvious presence of objects that the final version didn't get the chance of having, but also the different logo water marks and the captions:

Did you know you can also generate, in real time, one of these Sims Webcam-styled shots? The engine "secretly" allows you to, unless your game contains any of the Expansion Packs after Hot Date.
All you have to do is direct the mouse cursor right above the Sim you want to take a picture of (you will not be able to use it otherwise). This will cause two different possible effects: the highlighted Sim will either move a little bit faster (if they're the active Sim) or slower (if they're not the active Sim/NPC). To take the picture, press F7 before the Sim finds a reason to move away from the cursor and you'll se a quick animation of a silver framing increasing/decreasing in size until it squares the area in a way that the shot Sim is in the center, and an JPG image called SimsWebCam will be created in your game's main folder (where the executable is).

Example:

I'm not sure how to change the subtitles as the one from the picture above is written as default (anyone does??) but you can change the SIZE of the picture editing the coordinates at GameData/stalk.ini

Better Quality of Food Renders:

Now found on their "semi-original" source as one of the several graphical packs distributed by Maxis' people as one of the billions of ways of giving us fans visual resources of what was about to come when it comes to our beloved life simulator. This time, their original files were in well-compressed VGA, which provide us some new sharper pixels to see AND a new graphic of a microwave... ironically, the only file that the original zip file didn't manage to keep on its entirety as it was almost irreversibly broken. Yes... almost.

Sources:
Sim Webcam Screenshots
High Quality Food Renders, livestream videos and applications

LUCPIX#0054
Test Subject
#54 Old 10th Dec 2020 at 11:16 PM
I've been doing some more looking, dug up a different link on Hopkin's site that has a ton of other Design Docs. Some ARE from the Sims 2 or later expansions I've noticed but I've seen a lot from the year '96-98
https://donhopkins.com/home/TheSimsDesignDocuments/

That "Happylife" reminds me of an old motive simulator I think Will Wright made that used something similar. That I need to refind.
Unfortunately not many links are clickable, and some (including one that would've led to a build of the game in I think 97) are down.

The JeffersonDemoTutorial seems to say that the game could more or less run without being paused in archutectual/build mode but had a few tree crashes. Pretty interesting to look at.
Test Subject
#55 Old 13th Jan 2021 at 9:52 PM
Default Found some new images!
Found these photos online, I love the design and everything about this lot!
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#56 Old Yesterday at 12:32 PM
@lucpix - is that you at E3?

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Page 3 of 3