Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Mar 2020 at 5:32 AM
Default WCIF a mod that can allow formal clothes to be worn as everyday clothing?
There's this formal outfit that I really like called the "bodyopencoatlongpants formalgold" outfit which is available to male Sims aged child and up. But it's a shame that it can't be worn as everyday clothes, as I have two Sims that I wanted to have this outfit as their everyday clothes, so that it will display in their respective headshots. But I don't have the experience to modify the data to make this outfit wearable as everyday clothes. So I was hoping that there was a mod around that could allow formal clothes to be worn as everyday clothes. If not, then I was hoping that someone at least knew of the place where the data is located in the package files, so I can check and see if I can unlock the desired outfit for everyday wear.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 18th Mar 2020 at 8:27 AM
Recatagorizing Maxis Content http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=448540

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Mar 2020 at 10:27 AM
Thanks! :D

Recategorising the outfits sounds simple enough. But I've never extracted any changes that I make and place them in the downloads folder before. Up until now, I have always edited the data contained in the program files because it was something that I knew how to do.

Creating copies of this stuff and placing them in the downloads folder in such a way that it works isn't something that I'm sure I know how to do, or indeed something that I've ever done before.
Instructor
#4 Old 19th Mar 2020 at 2:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by C.Syde65
Thanks! :D

Recategorising the outfits sounds simple enough. But I've never extracted any changes that I make and place them in the downloads folder before. Up until now, I have always edited the data contained in the program files because it was something that I knew how to do.

Creating copies of this stuff and placing them in the downloads folder in such a way that it works isn't something that I'm sure I know how to do, or indeed something that I've ever done before.

I made this tutorial for you, hopefully it helps.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 19th Mar 2020 at 2:53 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 28th Nov 2020 at 6:53 AM.
^ That's the method that adds another outfit to your collection. If you just want to recategorize, do it with Phaenoh's tutorial in Jo's link, since it just recategorizes items and doesn't add any new ones.

She has a mod already available, here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=280521 (could be it does what you want - and if not, it's possible it has the resources you want so you can just make a category edit).

To make a proper replacement file (without direct edits to your game files, as that's a no-no), you just need to find and then extract the resources you want to edit (right-click/extract the resource you want - in your case the PropertySet files that belong to the outfits - this makes a copy of the files) with SimPE, save them to a folder, then do "File/new", right-click in the Resource View window, click "import", and find the resources you extracted. Now you can edit them (almost) any way you want without having to worry about the game files getting corrupted.

Be aware this may enable the delete function, and deleting a default replacement can and probably will cause corruption, so better not do that. It it becomes a problem, you can put recategorized files in with the Catalog files in the install files, as this makes the game think the edits are supposed to be there (removes delete and custom star).

Object recategorizers: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Catalog\Bins
CAS recategorizers: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Catalog\Skins
(Bolded = same for any game version).
Instructor
#6 Old 19th Mar 2020 at 3:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
^ That's the method that adds another outfit to your collection. If you just want to recategorize, do it with Phaenoh's tutorial in Jo's link, since it just recategorizes items and doesn't add any new ones.

She has a mod already available, here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=280521 (could be it does what you want - and if not, it's possible it has the resources you want so you can just make a category edit).

Just another way to get a similar result
Mad Poster
#7 Old 19th Mar 2020 at 3:12 PM
^ Creating (recategorized) outfits in Bodyshop is a bit easier for those who don't know how to navigate SimPE, and the only way for people who don't have access to SimPE, but at the same time the method ends up adding a lot of unnecessary files to the game. Plus, the outfits are considered custom content by the game.

The OP already seems to know how to find files and edit files with SimPE, but didn't know how to do those edits without directly editing the game files (which I explained above, and which is also explained in Phaenoh's tutorial).
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 11:15 AM
I'd much rather do it via SimPE, since I don't want to add unnecessary files to the game. I just want to modify the data of existing files, preferably by extracting the data, modifying it, and then saving it in the downloads folder so that it overrides the default data that's located in the game files.

But I've run into another problem, and that problem is that I can't seem to find the teenage version of the "bodyopencoatlongpants formalgold" outfit. This outfit is precisely why I wanted to modify the data in such a way that certain outfits can appear as everyday clothes in the first place.

(Oh, as of writing this, I wonder if it is the one that has CASIE in front of it, since I've just found one that has CASIE in front of it)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 12:22 PM Last edited by C.Syde65 : 23rd Mar 2020 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Because I've managed to do it.
I was able to update the data. But I've run into another problem where the game automatically undid the changes that I made. So I couldn't access the formal clothing as everyday clothing, which got me rather annoyed. What am I meant to do to get around this problem?

Edit: The formal outfit has a custom content icon, but at least I got it to show up for everyday clothes. I've managed to do it the right way. Yay! :D
Mad Poster
#10 Old 25th Mar 2020 at 2:17 PM
Custom star - try put the file in the Bins folder (path in my post above).

The naming is a bit different, and I could only find the teen version in the Uni files (I think?) so no wonder you've had some issues.
CASIE_tmbodyopencoatlongpants_formalgold
ambodyopencoatlongpants_formalgold
cmbodyopencoatlongpants_formalgold
embodyopencoatlongpants_formalgold

The "Finder" tab in SimPE is very useful. It lets you search for items. I use the "namemap" option in the dropdown list if I'm after meshes/textures, and "Property Set" if that's what I'm after, and "contains" which means it contains the phrase I'm searching for. Then you can put in a name that's the same for all of them, for instance "bodyopencoatlongpants_formalgold" (no quotes). It searches all the ingame files for you so you don't have to do anything.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Mar 2020 at 7:36 AM
I should point out that I already have the mod ready, except for the elder clothes. I just need to know how to upload mods to ModtheSims, since I ran into an issue where I uploaded the images, but kept saying that I hadn't uploaded something that was needed. I don't know why. But I never got a chance to get to the stage where I could upload the mod.
Instructor
#12 Old 28th Nov 2020 at 4:18 AM
Default How about just "unhide" the clothing in all categories? Is it possible?
I understand the urge to want to re-categorize the clothing in the game... Why anyone would design a hat, for instance, that could be worn with pajamas, but NOT OUTDOORS, is beyond my comprehension. However, the problem with these mods - that people obviously spend so much time on to get everything "categorized just right" - is that in the end, that's still only their own private idea of what belongs in which category, and is really no better than what Maxis did when they created the restrictions in the first place. Why not just remove those restrictions, and let the users decide what their sims should wear for the various occasions? You downloaded a Cossack's fur coat with the rifle cartridge bandoliers, designed for an elder male to wear outdoors? Cool - said coat should be available for your teen girl to wear in the swimming pool, if you desire her to. Now, I do understand that designers are only going to design what they want, and so it's unreasonable for me to expect all my sims to be able to wear every piece of clothing ever designed AND HAVE IT LOOK GOOD, but that really ought to be MY problem. The option for me to experiment should be available. If the "hiding" things (from appearing in certain categories) could just be eliminated, that's a mod I'd pay good money for, and to my (admittedly amateur) mind, possibly easier to achieve than a painstaking re-shuffle of permissions and cetera. At least, that's my impression from reading what mod designers have said about similar projects.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 28th Nov 2020 at 6:43 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 28th Nov 2020 at 3:53 PM.
I think most people who play the games are probably okay with the outfits categorized the way they are, maybe save for a few stray ones (like some of the everyday ones that really ought to be in outerwear, too - but I guess they didn't go back to fix the old ones in Seasons). Then there are people who download CC or mods (or request them). I downloaded a large recategorizer mod a long while back, and did a couple edits to it since the PropertySets were already extracted. Still have that one because it does the trick.

If people are really annoyed, and can't find what they're looking for or can't find someone to make it for them, I think they'll eventually going to figure out how to use at least one of the available programs, depending on difficulty level. Recategorizing clothes (for CC, anyway) is at a basic skill level, so it's relatively easy to get the hang of, and it's not that much more difficult to figure out recategorizing EAxis ones with a tutorial (a few extra steps).

By the way, I learned a new method (which works for other outfits than just separates) a few days ago, here: https://whattheskell.tumblr.com/pos...safe-conversion (haven't tested it out much, but looks to be useful if you're categorizing a large amount of the same type of outfits for the same age/gender/categories). Comes in handy especially with sets of 100+ recolors, I guess (I have a few of those )
Mad Poster
#14 Old 28th Nov 2020 at 7:21 AM
@sims2ultralover5 -I watched your video and it's exactly how I've done hundreds of my older outfit edits to recatagoize outfits before downloading CC.