Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#126 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 12:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rylan79
Alright, so after going over the tutorial thoroughly throughout the coding process, I have spent the last few days trying absolutely everything I could think of, while using every resource available on this thread, Creon's tutorial, and NRAAS website, and I just cannot find the error that is causing my career not to show up at it's rabbit-hole. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, did you follow Thomas Riordan's way of doing the English Strings? The English strings file in the Blank Career doesn't work, you need to create your own (see ThoamsRiordan's post on the first page of this thread for instructions )

Also, I've had a look at your career Did you rename the two files called: 70214830780050.dll and replace the names with the numbers you generated with the Bootstrap Creator? It looks like they're the same as the Blank Career ones, so rename them

Try correcting that and see what happens.

Visit MissyHissy's Job Centre and MissyHissy's Job Centre Forum for additional career help.
Visit MissyHissy's Irish Dance Studio
The Daily Plumbob, a Sims 4 Gameplay blog
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#127 Old 9th Nov 2012 at 8:12 PM Last edited by crdroxxpl : 9th Nov 2012 at 8:33 PM.
Default Game Crashes wth NRaas mod
Hi Guys, I just followed the Tutorial to create a custom Career but after I put the Career package into my mods folder the game keeps crashing. I've already removed the NRaas_Career package and the custom career that I'm working on and the game loads fine. When I try to load with just the custom job, it still crashes. My question is why? What am I doing wrong? Did I mess up my code somehow? Any help would be great so I can get this new Mod working and tested to send back here for consideration to the download. Something must be off in my coding, but I'm not sure what. This is the first time I've tried to mod and write code. I attached the Custom Career so someone with more skill than me can look at it and help me out. If this goes to a new thread instead, I apologize Moderators!
Attached files:
File Type: rar  NCIS_Career.rar (20.0 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Description: NCIS Custom Career in development
Scholar
#128 Old 9th Nov 2012 at 8:57 PM Last edited by missyhissy : 9th Nov 2012 at 9:18 PM.
First off, if you're patched to 1.42, make sure you got the updated version of Twallan's Careers mod, since an outdated version causes crashes
I'll load your career in my game in just a moment, and I'll test it out for you

*EDIT*
The only thing I can find is that in your NCIS.Careers, the career titles have spaces, but they don't in the UnhashedKeys. Remove the spaces in the Career titles, and see if that makes a difference at all

Visit MissyHissy's Job Centre and MissyHissy's Job Centre Forum for additional career help.
Lab Assistant
#129 Old 9th Nov 2012 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by missyhissy
First off, if you're patched to 1.42, make sure you got the updated version of Twallan's Careers mod, since an outdated version causes crashes
I'll load your career in my game in just a moment, and I'll test it out for you

*EDIT*
The only thing I can find is that in your NCIS.Careers, the career titles have spaces, but they don't in the UnhashedKeys. Remove the spaces in the Career titles, and see if that makes a difference at all

Changed the spaces and its still crashing. Something must be off in my code somewhere. Did you have to do any tweaking? I am using NRaas_Careers v64 since thats the most current one post to the site.
Scholar
#130 Old 10th Nov 2012 at 12:00 PM Last edited by missyhissy : 10th Nov 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by crdroxxpl
Changed the spaces and its still crashing. Something must be off in my code somewhere. Did you have to do any tweaking? I am using NRaas_Careers v64 since thats the most current one post to the site.

Right, just taken another look at the career. Check your English strings, because you've added the '''- Should be your get job title. E.g. �Join Tennis Career�''' in too, which isn't needed. It shouldn't be causing a crash and I can't see any reason why it would.

Also, in your NCIS.Careers file, check level 3. The Metrics are a little off:
<Metric1>RelBoss</Metric3>

The Metric 3 should be Metric 1

Let me know how it goes!

*EDIT*
Just had a thought and looked in my Sims 3 folder and there was a script error in there, and it's to do with your career. It pointing out the issue with the Metric I mentioned above. It looks like that might have been the source of your crash!

Lab Assistant
#131 Old 10th Nov 2012 at 5:53 PM Last edited by crdroxxpl : 10th Nov 2012 at 6:59 PM.
Ok, making the tweaks now. Will update on progress soon. After I installed NRass V73 (the newest version from his site, the SimsWiki is outdated) I was getting a script error, so its gotta be pointing to that Metric error.

EDIT
Made the tweaks and changes, replaced all the files, cleared my cache files, and installed. I'm getting a "Script Error 51189724482490.dll NCIS.Careers" now. I'm lost as to the fix and know why I'm not a coder

EDIT
BIGGER
Went through the code, line by line after starting over. I had a few <Metric1></Metric3> and <Mapping1></Mapping3> Errors. Fixed them and will report back.
Lab Assistant
#132 Old 10th Nov 2012 at 7:22 PM
Made the tweaks and changes and I'm getting a "Script Error 51189724482490.dll NCIS.Careers"

I've combed the code, rewrote the entire career, and I still can't find the glitch. I'm getting close to shelving this mod.
Scholar
#133 Old 10th Nov 2012 at 7:42 PM
Okay, if you can attach the career again, I'll test the career and see what script error I get

Lab Assistant
#134 Old 10th Nov 2012 at 8:01 PM
Okay, if you can attach the career again, I'll test the career and see what script error I get

Thanks. Here it is. Could the crashes be because I'm writing for the military base stand alone and the new expansions are combining the military, police, and city hall?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  NCIS_Career_V1.0.rar (19.7 KB, 11 downloads) - View custom content
Scholar
#135 Old 10th Nov 2012 at 8:12 PM
Thanks. Here it is. Could the crashes be because I'm writing for the military base stand alone and the new expansions are combining the military, police, and city hall?

No, that won't be it. All my careers are done on the stand alone rabbitholes, so that's not it.
Right, the script error it now referring to Level 8, right at the end, you have this:
<Text_Promotion>promotionLevel8</Text_Promotion>
<Text_Promotion_Female>PromotionLevel8_Female</Text_Promotion_Female>
<CarpoolType>CarExpensive2</CarpoolType>
</ NCIS>

See the space before NCIS? That's causing the current crash. Try fixing that and see what happens. If only the script errors would tell us ALL the issues, instead of doing them one at a time

Lab Assistant
#136 Old 10th Nov 2012 at 10:02 PM Last edited by crdroxxpl : 10th Nov 2012 at 11:38 PM.
No, that won't be it. All my careers are done on the stand alone rabbitholes, so that's not it.
Right, the script error it now referring to Level 8, right at the end, you have this:
<Text_Promotion>promotionLevel8</Text_Promotion>
<Text_Promotion_Female>PromotionLevel8_Female</Text_Promotion_Female>
<CarpoolType>CarExpensive2</CarpoolType>
</ NCIS>

See the space before NCIS? That's causing the current crash. Try fixing that and see what happens. If only the script errors would tell us ALL the issues, instead of doing them one at a time

That fixed it! Now I just have to write in the Join NCIS Code and start play testing! BTW, how do I assign Uniforms to specific levels?
Scholar
#137 Old 10th Nov 2012 at 10:06 PM
That fixed it! Now I just have to write in the Join NCIS Code and start play testing! BTW, how do I assign Uniforms to specific levels?

For each level, add this underneath the last metric:
<OutfitMale></OutfitMale>
<OutfitFemale></OutfitFemale>
<OutfitMaleElder></OutfitMaleElder>
<OutfitFemaleElder></OutfitFemaleElder>

Twallan has a list of uniforms from existing EA careers Here and you can also find them by opening up the Careers file in the GameplayData package.

Lab Assistant
#138 Old 11th Nov 2012 at 2:27 AM Last edited by crdroxxpl : 13th Nov 2012 at 12:41 AM.
I just can't get the "JoinCareer" number to disappear following the guide. Dunno what to do from here and I'm stuck again.

Coding has been tweaked, uniforms are available. But I can't get the "JoinCareer13707289850891775672" to change to proper text AND none of the text I wrote is showing up for the levels of this career at all! Can anyone point me in the correct direction? Most recent mod file is attached to this post to look at my progress and see if the code, the STBL, or whatever is screwing it up!
Scholar
#139 Old 11th Nov 2012 at 1:20 PM
Did you follow ThomasRiordan's post regarding the English Strings? Using the strings from the Blank Career doesn't work, I got exactly the same thing happen to my first career. Follow the post by Thomas Riordan on page one and that should solve it for you

Lab Assistant
#140 Old 12th Nov 2012 at 11:12 PM
Do I do that to both the STBL files? I did it to the English file before I began posting, but not to the Unhashed Keys. Will try it to the Unhashed and see what happens there.
EDIT
Changed the Unhashed Keys to 0x00. Nothing. English keys were already there. Already took the entire Code and re-keyed it from scratch yesterday... I'm stuck!

Left the code alone for a day. Went back to it, found that in two of the <KEY></KEY> entries I forgot to put colons ":" when I copied the FVN64 Hash. Running a test game now to see if that stupid mistake was the whole error. I was re-keying the entire package again to make sure I wasn't going crazy. Never realized how much programing is trial and error.
Lab Assistant
#141 Old 13th Nov 2012 at 12:40 AM
Left the code alone for a day. Went back to it, found that in two of the <KEY></KEY> entries I forgot to put colons ":" when I copied the FVN64 Hash. Running a test game now to see if that stupid mistake was the whole error. I was re-keying the entire package again to make sure I wasn't going crazy. Never realized how much programing is trial and error.

Right back to square 1 with the "JoinCareer[numbers]" Showing at the rabbithole and no other text except the apply text for the job showing. I'm completely lost this time.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  NCIS_CareerV1.1.rar (20.0 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#142 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 4:23 PM Last edited by crdroxxpl : 14th Nov 2012 at 8:39 PM.
All I can figure out so far is its something with the String Files. Dunno what is causing it to go sideways though, Tones and Careers files are all ok.

EDIT
Ok! GOT IT! I had to test and jump the files, but I figured it out using the post by ThomasRiordan. I have one STBL file now, I copied the "Gameplay/Excel/Careers/CareerList:BLANK" into the STBL, clicked add then in the right column I copied the text from my English Strings and they show in the game! It took a little re-reading and lots of banging my head on the table, but I think I've got it now! Thank you all for your help!
I think Another Tutorial, one that outlines it a little clearer might be helpful but maybe not too. Again, thank you all for your help, especiallymissyhissy.
Scholar
#143 Old 17th Nov 2012 at 11:38 AM
Well done for getting it sorted!! Yes, I'm hoping Creon might see these posts and update the tutorial with the working way of creating the Strings!

Test Subject
#144 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 12:18 AM Last edited by r3v3lationz : 26th Nov 2012 at 1:14 AM. Reason: Edit
Help!?
Well i tried making an anime based career, but it seems that whenever i put it in my mods folder the game crashes to desktop upon opening the game.

Edit: attached file
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Career r3v.rar (37.5 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content
Description: SAO based career
Scholar
#145 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 2:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by r3v3lationz
Well i tried making an anime based career, but it seems that whenever i put it in my mods folder the game crashes to desktop upon opening the game.

First of all, do you have Twallan's latest Careers mod? It sounds like that might be part of your problem, if it's not updated. Here's the link for the latest version, in case you haven't got it In the meantime, I'll have a look at your career and see if there's anything that may be contributing to the crashing

Scholar
#146 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 3:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by r3v3lationz

Okay, I took a look at your career and can spot a couple of things straight away.

1. Check and make sure you replaced the S3SA file with the one you generated with Twallan's Bootstrap programme. The one in your career file has the same name as the one in the BLANK file. If you did replace the file, change the name to match the string of numbers in the file you created.
2. Your UnhashedKeys file still has a BLANK in the name. Change that BLANK to SAO and re-hash it and that should hopefully solve a problem.

I also strongly recommend having a look to see if the career generated a Script Error as this can often tell you where the error is. Look in Documents>Electronic Arts>Sims 3 and see if there are any Script Errors in there. If there are, look and see if there are any with the date you tried your career (either today or yesterday) and see what it says

Let me know how it goes!

Test Subject
#147 Old 27th Nov 2012 at 7:28 PM
Hi!

Sorry to drudge up a semi-old thread, but I'm having issues that a lot of other people are having. I have the latest patches, the latest Twallan mods, I followed both the original instructions and them Thomas's instruction about the English strings file (when that didn't work, I went back to my original one, because I meticulously did it and there are absolutely no "BLANK"s or literal blanks anywhere). ErrorTrap gives me nothing (as in, it doesn't record any errors). But still I can't seem to get past the "JoinCareer[###########]" and no text thing. The job performance things show up and the icons work fine, but so far, no other text/career name. I've been having a go at this for a couple days now and I'm at a total loss. I'm usually pretty good with coding, so maybe I'm just overlooking something somewhere... Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and upload my career in the hopes that someone might have time to take a look.

Also, I'm not quite understanding what a previous poster said about only having one STBL file? How on earth do I combine the two? Maybe Thomas's instructions weren't clear about that, but I can't figure out how to combine the two into one STBL file.

Thanks!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  MusicEd_Career.zip (22.7 KB, 13 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Music Education Career (incidentally, the same career choice I've made in real life...)
Scholar
#148 Old 28th Nov 2012 at 10:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chicagonative
Hi!

Sorry to drudge up a semi-old thread, but I'm having issues that a lot of other people are having. I have the latest patches, the latest Twallan mods, I followed both the original instructions and them Thomas's instruction about the English strings file (when that didn't work, I went back to my original one, because I meticulously did it and there are absolutely no "BLANK"s or literal blanks anywhere). ErrorTrap gives me nothing (as in, it doesn't record any errors). But still I can't seem to get past the "JoinCareer[###########]" and no text thing. The job performance things show up and the icons work fine, but so far, no other text/career name. I've been having a go at this for a couple days now and I'm at a total loss. I'm usually pretty good with coding, so maybe I'm just overlooking something somewhere... Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and upload my career in the hopes that someone might have time to take a look.

Also, I'm not quite understanding what a previous poster said about only having one STBL file? How on earth do I combine the two? Maybe Thomas's instructions weren't clear about that, but I can't figure out how to combine the two into one STBL file.

Thanks!

No need to apologise, I check in on the thread every day
I'm testing your career in-game now, to see if a script error is generated (the game often picks them up itself). By the sounds of it, it's definitely something in the English strings. When you followed ThomasRiordan's instructions, did you delete the English string file that was already there? Because there does appear to be a bit of a problem with the English String file in the BLANK career and you do need to make a new one, which it sounds like you did. I'm testing now to see what I can find

Regarding the STBLs, I have two STBL files: The UnhashedKeys and the English (and I have the other languages too). I'm not sure why some careers only have the one STBL, I'd have thought you'd need the two, so don't worry about that

I'll let you know what I find with your career

*EDIT*
Right, it's definitely an English Strings problem. The career itself is coded perfectly.
I recommend deleting the current file you have for the English Strings.
Start a brand new one, following ThomasRiordan's instructions.

If that still doesn't work, then take out the numbers in the UnhashedKeys and the English Strings and replace it with NoCareer, then try with the new English String file you created and go from there. I had to do that on one of my earlier careers
Let me know if you get it sorted!

Test Subject
#149 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 12:06 AM
Okay, I deleted the English strings file I had and I added a brand new one following ThomasRiordan's instructions. However, I did NOT delete both STBL files as he suggested at the end of his instructions, instead keeping both my new English strings file AND the UnhashedKeys file. Doing this resulted in success!! Now all text shows up and the it says "Join Music Education career" instead of all the numbers.

Thank you so much for having a look at everything! Next I'm going to work on outfitting the profession, and I'll upload it to this site for others to enjoy! I'm certain you will see more careers out of me in time.

:D
Test Subject
#150 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 10:34 AM
Hello again...

I am having a new issue now. I've added in my outfits, and suddenly my career isn't even showing up. Error trap says it is an issue with the .dll. I've tried redoing the .dll as stated in the original tutorial with BootStrap, but it's not working. At one point, I forgot to put the <OutfitMale>Level_1_M</OutfitMale> etc. etc. etc. into my career file, and the career loaded and showed up with no errors. Of course I noticed that my Sim wasn't changing into her outfit when the carpool showed up, and I eventually figured out that I'd forgotten to add the tags back in. But as soon as I did that, changing nothing but my career file to include the outfits for every promotion level, I started getting the .dll script error again. So I've attached both the error and the newest rendition of my career file. I meticulously crafted the SIMO files, so I know each outfit includes pieces that are career-enabled and I've created/saved them according to the instructions on the SimOutfitter page. As to this .dll issue, I have no idea... Arghhhh I was so close, too! If I can't get this figured out, I'll just take the outfits out and let them wear their everyday outfits.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  chicagonative_scripterror&career_files.zip (60.0 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content
Description: ErrorTrap report and updated career file
Page 6 of 23