Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#9076 Old 28th Mar 2021 at 8:04 PM
Honestly I'm kinda glad that feature wasn't implemented, it would be a pain to have to tinker with everything just to keep the house from going bad. Or at least it would be for me. Then again, considering the insane amount of times I restart hoods, I would probably not even notice.
Advertisement
Scholar
#9077 Old 28th Mar 2021 at 8:41 PM
I discovered that teens can read other teens to sleep. I thought only children could be read to sleep, so was really surprised when Brandon LeTourneau sat down to read to his older sister.

As for the tucking in, it's cute when the kids have just gone to bed; not so good when the elder parents get up at 5.30 am and start trying to tuck their kids in just as the kids are trying to get up!
Field Researcher
#9078 Old 28th Mar 2021 at 9:16 PM
I discovered that pets can actually destroy homework... and that (sloppy?) sims can share their food with pets!

Also sometimes a flying saucer can fly over the neighborhood?? It was so short I wonder if I hallucinated
Mad Poster
#9079 Old 28th Mar 2021 at 10:08 PM
Quote:
Also sometimes a flying saucer can fly over the neighborhood?? It was so short I wonder if I hallucinated

You did not hallucinate. If you have a neighborhood festooned with the remains of a crashed space ship (from the neighborhood decorations), the aliens in the area will visit, presumably to see if they should rescue anyone from it.

I think it's pretty cool.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Theorist
#9080 Old 29th Mar 2021 at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
Honestly I'm kinda glad that feature wasn't implemented, it would be a pain to have to tinker with everything just to keep the house from going bad. Or at least it would be for me. Then again, considering the insane amount of times I restart hoods, I would probably not even notice.

It would depend on how many days a piece of furniture would take to "go bad". If it happens every week it would be too much, but like every 20 days or so? Then I'd like it. (Or maybe cheaper furniture would degrade faster, while more expensive stuff would keep longer)
It's just weird when I manage to have multiple generations of a family living in a lot and the Sims are sitting on the same sofa, next to the same lamp and watching the same TV their great-grandparents did
I can be so lazy about re-decorating...

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#9081 Old 29th Mar 2021 at 1:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Annaminna
That seems like unfinished development now. Objects value depreciate over time but they still look like new. And tinkering action can increase object value but their look don't change.

Some of the teddy bears still have the old/tattered textures. The function was half broken, but I think someone restored it so they'll go tattered after a while (can't remember who, but I think someone here on MTS).

Some items break and need repairing after a while, others will need to be replaced. A few can be broken on purpose if sims are angry (like the dollhouse or alarm clock).

The only tinkering object that does change looks is the FT restorable car.

Ghosts can haunt some furniture items, and I'm not sure but I think the items have a higher chance at breaking after.

And pets can of course scratch furniture, which is an almost sure way of breaking it. The toy mouse can actually break if it's played with a lot. I was trying (and failing) at starting a legacy thing a while back, and the sim had a cat that kept chewing at a mouse until there were only rags left - which was the first time I'd seen a cat toy break.
Mad Poster
#9082 Old 29th Mar 2021 at 3:19 AM
Yes I know all of that but right now I am thinking it would be great to have at least for some objects worn out state when their value drops really low. Especially for repairable objects because I don't see any reason why my sims could tinker with them though they have that option.
Forum Resident
#9083 Old 29th Mar 2021 at 4:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
You did not hallucinate. If you have a neighborhood festooned with the remains of a crashed space ship (from the neighborhood decorations), the aliens in the area will visit, presumably to see if they should rescue anyone from it.

They also come to scan if you have the nuclear stacks. They care about our technology? XD
Field Researcher
#9084 Old 29th Mar 2021 at 8:34 AM
And they'll come if your hood has a Stonehenge! They're interested in all levels of technology!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9085 Old 29th Mar 2021 at 11:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Monsieur_Oshima

Not just the spaceship remains; also the huge cooling towers will spawn UFOs. @Pebblerocker I didn't know the stonehenge object spawned them; I have one in my hood but it's just the cooling towers they seem to come from.

Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Some of the teddy bears still have the old/tattered textures. The function was half broken, but I think someone restored it so they'll go tattered after a while (can't remember who, but I think someone here on MTS).

It was Numenor, it's a CEP extra now (I mentioned a few posts up, but I think you missed it!)
Field Researcher
#9086 Old 29th Mar 2021 at 5:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sokisims
They also come to scan if you have the nuclear stacks. They care about our technology? XD

I'm playing Arkhelios lately and it has both! I had no idea
It was late at night and my eyes started to feel a bit tired, when I switched from my desktop to my open game in the background I saw the flying saucer quickly disappearing in the corner and really wondered If I saw something moving that shouldn't be
Forum Resident
#9087 Old 29th Mar 2021 at 8:21 PM
I don't know who it was that had the Big Everything Energy to use fridges as lockers in that one Strangetown storytelling pic with Johnny and Ophelia, but I'm sure it's the same person who designed the Capp manor with no balcony and then had the nerve to build a house like this down the road.

(On the plus side this is a really good house, and I absolutely love the balcony)
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#9088 Old 30th Mar 2021 at 3:44 AM
I've been having fun digging through the ground into... whatever you call this.

Apparently you can see rocks and other stuff down here on the Pleasant lot. (Ignore Angela glitching into it)

Screenshots

Why not be kind?
Field Researcher
#9089 Old 30th Mar 2021 at 10:15 AM
I'm confused, did you achieve this with the terrain tool? or is that some grid adjuster witchcraft?
Lab Assistant
#9090 Old 30th Mar 2021 at 4:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Monsieur_Oshima
I'm confused, did you achieve this with the terrain tool? or is that some grid adjuster witchcraft?

Grid adjuster witchcraft, yes. Push a room 16 clicks into the ground and delete all the walls + foundation.

It makes sense that the ground in the game is a flat plane with blank nothingness underneath it, but it's still weird to see...

Why not be kind?
Theorist
#9091 Old 30th Mar 2021 at 8:51 PM
You also get a "hole to the blue" like that if you use move_objects on to delete a regular holedug by a Sim or dog. You see the blue because the lot is on all surrounded by the blue color used for the sky iirc.

Theorist
#9092 Old 30th Mar 2021 at 10:13 PM
Makes me wonder why is that a thing, lol. Why remove the ground beneath the hole, if instead one could have just placed the hole object on the ground?
Theorist
#9093 Old 30th Mar 2021 at 11:19 PM
I assume it's so that the "ground" wouldn't poke through the hole object, otherwise they'd have to warp the ground to account for the whole, and I assume that'd be more difficult to undo then just putting the ground back when the hole object goes away.

Lab Assistant
#9094 Old 30th Mar 2021 at 11:24 PM
Yep, although in that case, sims actually can walk on the blue area. I'm assuming this is because it's on the same level, where with the Grid Adjuster it's not.

I was thinking about this. My guess is the hole object is actually placed below the ground, under the grid. And since sim ground does not have layers like in real life, the blue sky shows up.

Edit- yeah, Ophalesion explained it better than I did
Screenshots

Why not be kind?
Forum Resident
#9095 Old 30th Mar 2021 at 11:55 PM
I learned that when a vacant residential lot is refurbished it can remain in build mode preventing Sims from moving in if the mail box and trash bin are not located at the curb. (This can also occur if either or both are missing I am told).
Field Researcher
#9096 Old 31st Mar 2021 at 12:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by yourfriendmichelle
I was thinking about this. My guess is the hole object is actually placed below the ground, under the grid. And since sim ground does not have layers like in real life, the blue sky shows up.

Edit- yeah, Ophalesion explained it better than I did

I may be wrong but my understanding is that it uses a cutout similar to that of windows through the walls. Some objects do that to the ground as well, like the hot spring or the sunken hot tub. But since there is a mesh in there you don't actually see the blue sky through the hole
Mad Poster
#9097 Old 2nd Apr 2021 at 8:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Not just the spaceship remains; also the huge cooling towers will spawn UFOs. @Pebblerocker I didn't know the stonehenge object spawned them; I have one in my hood but it's just the cooling towers they seem to come from.

It was Numenor, it's a CEP extra now (I mentioned a few posts up, but I think you missed it!)

The old/tattered teddybear works in base game and some of the earlier EPs, I am not sure which broke it. I played an AGS legacy with no mods and it worked absolutely fine, but I never got past Nightlife. The house I remember the teddies getting old in was the Base game / uni house.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9098 Old 2nd Apr 2021 at 11:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
The old/tattered teddybear works in base game and some of the earlier EPs, I am not sure which broke it.
Yes, it originally worked in basegame but was broken and Numenor indicates that he thinks there must have been some reason for them discontinuing it.
https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=54005
Interesting, I remember testing this when Numenor first fixed it, I don't think I'd ever played a single household long enough in basegame then to have seen it!
Mad Poster
#9099 Old 2nd Apr 2021 at 10:51 PM
A useful discovery... fire dancers (and I would assume by extension breakdancers) and mountain chefs (and again, I would assume tropical and far east chefs) and the human statue will all still spawn on an owned community lot.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Forum Resident
#9100 Old 7th Apr 2021 at 4:36 PM
Not something discovered in game, but quite interesting yet bizarre...

So my nephew had CBeebies on today... I could have sworn I heard Sims 2 Build / Buy Mode music playing; I think it was one of the songs that came with Family Fun Stuff, but I'm not certain. I don't even know what show it was that used it, however this wasn't my first time hearing Sims music on this channel, as I heard Sims 3 music once months ago, too. It was so bizarre hearing it outside of the game.

This brings the question... is Sims music, license free or something? Or had I even heard the music right?

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Page 364 of 445