Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
#151 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 2:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ume&Banannas
So my apartment is on a foundation, there's 3 apartment units. To reach the first floor apartment you have to go up the front steps, through the front doors, and you enter a small hall way with the apartment door and an elevator. The only way to get to the second and third floor apartments is on the elevator. when you come out of the elevator on either the second or third floor there is a trash shout and the apartment door. The third floor apartment has a tiny balcony (its closed off by half walls), but the 1st and 2nd floor apartments share a balcony on the 2nd floor. In order for the sim that lives on the first floor apartment to get to the balcony, they have to climb the spiral staircase, and at the top of the staircase is a regular door ( leaving some walking room because you can't place a door in front of a staircase) that leads to the balcony, which is fully closed off by half walls. the second floor apartment just has a regular door leading out.
But now my apartment apparently doesn't have any apartment units, its not saying there's an error, just that there aren't any units, what's wrong!?

first, screenshots will help. second the elevator must go outside the apartment area. and that join balcony must go. thats the main problem. it cannot have any communication with any other apartment or a separate entrance where the sims can enter.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#152 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 2:02 PM Last edited by Ume&Banannas : 25th Jun 2009 at 2:12 PM. Reason: miss spell and i had to upload pictures
Default Still 0 apartment units
I'm sorry but im not exactly sure how to put in pictures.
But I did make the balcony in to one balcony for each apartment by cutting it in half with half walls.
Screenshots
Attached Images

#153 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 3:46 PM Last edited by OVERLORD_CHAOS! : 25th Jun 2009 at 4:22 PM.
I'm sorry but im not exactly sure how to put in pictures.
But I did make the balcony in to one balcony for each apartment by cutting it in half with half walls.

ok this is the problem that i see. first i will name every apartment. the numer 1 its the one on the first floor. the 2 the second one and the 3 the third one.
as i see, the spiral stairs goes from apartment 1 to the balcony of the apartment 2. that cannot happen. you must decide if that balcony goes to apartment 1 or 2. you must remove the stair or the door to the apartment 2. right now, the game sees both apartments as if it where just 1 of 2 floors.
also divide the 1 baconies with a fence or a half wall. the rest appears to be ok. do that and re try.
Test Subject
#154 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 5:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by OVERLORD_CHAOS!
as i see, the spiral stairs goes from apartment 1 to the balcony of the apartment 2. that cannot happen. you must decide if that balcony goes to apartment 1 or 2. you must remove the stair or the door to the apartment 2. right now, the game sees both apartments as if it where just 1 of 2 floors.
also divide the 1 baconies with a fence or a half wall. the rest appears to be ok. do that and re try.

Ok, so i deleted the staircase and the door and used that space for my 2nd apartment instead. But still 0 apartment units! So i tried deleting all my room divider thingys and that didn't work, than i deleted the top level elevator on the roof, that didn't work. Here are some pictures to show what I'm talking about. I thought it might be a problem with the elevators but i don't know! each apartment is on a different level, each balcony is on the same level as it's apartment, each one has the right apartment door, there's a flat roof above them, you can get to all three apartments through the elevator, so what's the big deal!
Screenshots
#155 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 6:51 PM
Ok, so i deleted the staircase and the door and used that space for my 2nd apartment instead. But still 0 apartment units! So i tried deleting all my room divider thingys and that didn't work, than i deleted the top level elevator on the roof, that didn't work. Here are some pictures to show what I'm talking about. I thought it might be a problem with the elevators but i don't know! each apartment is on a different level, each balcony is on the same level as it's apartment, each one has the right apartment door, there's a flat roof above them, you can get to all three apartments through the elevator, so what's the big deal!

ok first check that any of the doors inside the apartments does not go to a common area or another apartment. also no windows in the walls that separates the apartments.
after that. try this, its weird but it can help:
put a fence perimeter all around the apartment. it will help the grey one that it looks made of cement. but a real fence not the ones that look like made of wood that where used for example on the real old houses all around the stairs.
put a fence door in front of those stairs that go to the main doors.
try that. sometimes that foundation that you use causes chaos on the apartments. if thats the case then you have alot of work if the prevoius recomendations does not work.
also, i add just a cosmetic recomendation not related to your problem, the elevator on the last floor does not cause any problems, you can make a deck with fun stuff for the visitors. as far i know only helps to bring more people to your apartment building, and since they are more happy its easier to make friend and trigger those weird intarations, like beeing talk to a sim neighboor from the apartments or not and that they tell you stuff like "you are really nice, i am going to talk to my cousin so your future buy`s on furniture will be xx% off" or (wow you are really nice, you want to come to work in the "career offered" or also but very rare "my community lot".
Test Subject
#156 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 6:57 PM
so u want me to put the gray fence all around the apartment on the ground level? or on a foundation?
And i can't put a gate right in front of the stairs, where do u mean u want me to put it?
#157 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 8:16 PM Last edited by OVERLORD_CHAOS! : 26th Jun 2009 at 3:59 AM.
so u want me to put the gray fence all around the apartment on the ground level? or on a foundation?
And i can't put a gate right in front of the stairs, where do u mean u want me to put it?

all around the apartment building on the ground level, at least 1 tile all around the foundations. and the door in front of the stairs but with several tiles from one to te other. it will also help if the fance divides the foundation only leaving a passage to the stairs and the rest of the ground locked out for any sims. here i make you a screenshot so you have an idea of what i am talking about. you can also add the same fence on every corner to lock the foundations even further. this is to see if the foundation its telling to the game that the apartments are "in the middle of nothing", in other words, the foundations tell to the game that the apartments arent valid. thats why you get 0 apartments. sometimes with the foundation happens.
Test Subject
#158 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 3:02 PM
didn't work, would it help if i just redid it without a foundation?
Site Helper
#159 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 5:32 PM
Yes, removing the foundation should help. Having an apartment with a foundation and a yard is a bit difficult, since you need to convince the game that there is no way for the sim to leave the foundation level.
#160 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 8:20 PM Last edited by OVERLORD_CHAOS! : 27th Jun 2009 at 12:18 AM.
didn't work, would it help if i just redid it without a foundation?

yes. but first put a fence all around the lot and separate every corner. try hard. but i must warn you, sometimes i have made perfect apartments and they end up just not working. thats all.
for example, look the insanity of building i make. every floor its 1 apartment. the last one its the attic where the visitors can go to sit, or dance if someone offers himself as a dj in the dj-thing. or roller skate since i added 2 skate rings of big size. and the 4 apartments work. i added 1 spiral stair 1 targas ascension and 1 elevator. the last floor its the gigantic skylight and the rooftops like the palace of the infinite light. and the rest of the roof are invisible tiles. its so big i cannot take an screenshot of the lot. (its a 5x6 lot).
so i leave you the neighboorhood view so you can see the game should be on a good day and it will approve any kind of lot to be apartment. aldo i recommend to all to buy and install garden & mansion expansion pack. i notice (a long time ago since as soon it came out i installed the expansion and the patch for apartment life previously to install mansion & garden) that the change of lot type to apartment was alot more debugged. anyways here its the picture. i call it "Mansion CHAOS!".
Test Subject
#161 Old 13th Aug 2009 at 4:55 PM
Ok so i gave up on it for awhile but now i'm back on it. i redid it without the foundation, that didn't work, and i don't see where i went wrong! errrg, the game is so moody, it just decides my apartment isn't good enough!
Instructor
#162 Old 13th Aug 2009 at 9:47 PM
You have piqued my curiosity. I myself have spent many hours sweating the zoning process. If you would like to upload it to MediaFire and send me the link, I would be happy to take a look at it. I'm no good at pics, I have to get my hands on it.
Test Subject
#163 Old 14th Aug 2009 at 6:26 PM
so i have the lot packaged on my computer, how would i send it to you? or anyone who wants it.
Test Subject
#164 Old 14th Aug 2009 at 7:22 PM
so this is the apartment, i think it'll work for u guys
Attached files:
File Type: zip  401 Appartementa.zip (1.07 MB, 9 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
#165 Old 14th Aug 2009 at 11:36 PM
You have used the Solidity Door which is the one for hotels. You need to replace your doors with the apartment door and make sure the mat is on the outside of the unit. I am happy to report that when I did so with my copy, the neighborhood menu showed the number of units as 3. I did not test it further but it looks like good, solid construction and should play very nicely.
Test Subject
#166 Old 15th Aug 2009 at 2:45 AM
Omg, thank you SO much, i was pulling my hair out trying to understand where i went wrong, i had thought i may have put the doors on the wrong way, never thought it was the door itself that was wrong. Feel like an idiot, i thought it was some huge building function error or somethin, and after all these months of reading threads and faq's, well thanks a bunch!
Field Researcher
#167 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 10:43 PM
New at Apartment Building
Please forgive me if this has been answered here before, but I've briefly gone through many of the posts in this thread and am not quite sure what to do still.

This is my very first apartment and though I feel I have followed the basics for building a successful duplex, something is still amiss.

I hope it is alright to post a few pics, as I thought this might help someone detect the problem the quickest.

It is partially furnished, with only kitchen surfaces, appliances and bathroom plumbing.

When I go to change the lot from residential to apartmentbase, I get the invalid error.

Can someone help me? If you need more information, please just ask.

Thank you, in advance, for your assistance.

Sugah's Place
... Providing quality Sims 2 downloads in a fun, friendly forum setting ...
Specializing in gorgeous Sim models, CC recolors, custom walls, prime real estate, original challenges & more!
Instructor
#168 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 11:43 PM
My first guess is that the game is not counting the "wall" of the roof as a wall. The balcony railing connects to that and not a "real" wall so maybe your patio door is being counted as a separate entrance. I see that you have the inner railing but maybe just knock out that extra piece and see if that helps. I'll also make you the same offer I made in post #162.
Field Researcher
#169 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 11:55 PM
Wow, thank you for the quick reply!

Are you referring to the front balcony portions that are directly in front of the potted plants? THAT part of the railing is what you think I should knock out?

Sugah's Place
Specializing in gorgeous Sim models, CC recolors, custom walls, prime real estate, original challenges & more!
Instructor
#170 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 12:14 AM
Yes. I'm no expert but that's what I would try first.
Field Researcher
#171 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 12:22 AM
I have seen your lots. You do beautiful work, Bubba.

Okay, I've done as you suggested, but to no avail.
I still get the error message.

Does there need to be a certain amount of furnishings, aside from basic plumbing in the kitchen and bath and certain appliances?

Thank you, again, for your help with this.

Sugah's Place
Instructor
#172 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 12:37 AM
Rats. It looks like your doors are on right. The most common mistakes are wrong doors, doors on backwards, gaps in fences, using the "Great Divide" fence inside the unit in a particular way, modular stairs with stages, back doors on a foundation but the patio on the ground. There are custom apt. doors and garage doors that can interfere with zoning but I don't see any. Do you have walls inside the "A" part of the roof? Maybe the game is considering that open.

Sometimes it's the stuff that's right in front of us that we can't see, did you check your spelling in the cheat box? I would be glad to take a look at it in my game.
Field Researcher
#173 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 12:54 AM Last edited by Sugah Sim : 9th Sep 2009 at 1:06 AM.
I've taken a screenshot of how the duplex looks with the roof off.
Does this answer your question regarding walls in the "A" part of the roof?

If not, I am not quite sure what you're asking.
The top floor on each duplex is but a solitary room, that a spiral staircase leads up to.

Okay, I packaged the lot and uploaded it to my Mediafire account.
Here is the link.

I haven't included my Maxis counter recolors. It should look like this:

Thank you so much, in advance.

Sugah's Place
Instructor
#174 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 1:01 AM
That does answer my questions about the walls and you've eliminated the stairs now. Waiting for the file.
Field Researcher
#175 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 1:37 AM Last edited by Sugah Sim : 9th Sep 2009 at 3:33 AM.
Here is the link. And again, I thank you, in advance.

Sugah's Place
Page 7 of 11