Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#226 Old 14th Mar 2009 at 2:38 AM
Ok, everything on this is working fine for me until I have to save the changes I made to the brodcast file. It keeps saying that it cannot create the file and to make sure that the path and file name ar correct. How do I get past this?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#227 Old 11th Apr 2009 at 1:16 AM
hey can some one please make me a movie chanel becuase i have a movie theter
but no movie tv chanel for my sims to watch tere please can some one do this
it can be any movie except for movies that are rated R PLEASE
Test Subject
#228 Old 13th Apr 2009 at 1:25 PM
what version are you using???
Test Subject
#229 Old 20th May 2009 at 6:02 PM
Hi i couldn't create my channel, the audio in the video works perfectly, but on screen it's just like:

TVSATION_NICK TVSTATION_NICK

with a big cross in th middle.
Can anyone help?
thx
Lab Assistant
#230 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 2:54 PM
This is too fucking confusing. I tried to modify and it is already done for me...and I tried to start a new one and none of the options were open....gahhh.
Test Subject
#231 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 10:02 PM
Hello,
This works for me but i don't have the right channel name. I got i think it is the default for the .package used in this tutorial. How to change it?
Bye,
Sander
Test Subject
#232 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 12:45 AM
This is probably the most simple tutorial i have ever seen here. Thank you so much!

If it's broken, don't try to fix it, you'll just make it worse! >=)
Test Subject
#233 Old 4th Jul 2009 at 12:06 AM
Default Blue Screen
Quote: Originally posted by coffeehedake
Hmm... Think I may have found a fix for the 'flashing blue screen' issue.

Tried a few things, but first off, here's my setup:

Sims2 + EP (University)

A) Went through the tutorial (thanks 'eric etc' btw) a few times, and noticed I had used a few capitol letters when naming my INI handler in SimPE, don't do that. Use all lower case if possible (I'll explain why in a minute). Feel free to use upper case all you like when naming your radial menu text, but for the ini handler/tag, no caps...

B) Went through my broadcast.ini files (all of them, the one in 'my documents\EA GAMES\blah blah blah\', the one in program files\..\Sims2 University\, and the one also in the Sims2 directory, but I highly doubt the one in the Sims2 directory is the culprit, like stated earlier, better safe than sorry) and I made sure that my tags which I changed earlier (made them all lower case in SimPE) were also lower case in the INI.

If you look through all of the other tags in the broadcast.ini file, you will notice that Maxis' are all lowercased, perhaps this matters not... but after editing mine... all of a sudden it works... even after several hours of trying what everyone else has tried here.

Just a thought...

Also, on a side note... you'll notice this switch:

"CommercialInterval=XX"

It may seem obvious, but this is the length of your TV broadcast before the game automatically tries to cut off from one video file, load a commercial, then load another video file from within your 'station' directory.

I just converted every Robot Chicken episode (which are around 10-11 minutes each) and thusly set my CommercialInterval to about 600. Haven't had any problems with it so far.

In case anyone was wondering, I've tried a few different methods, and ended up sticking with 'Vchat20's' settings for video/audio compression/conversion. I tried it with DivX as well, but for simplicity's sake (I converted dozens of large videos all at once with VirtualDub's batch mode) I ended up sticking with his method.

For advice on using Virtualdub... I've been using it for years...

If you need to resize your source video down to 128*128, do the following:

Take your source video (mine was 320 wide by 240 height) and divide the larger number (320 for me, and for standard NTSC stuff, will always be the width) into 128. (128/320=0.4), this gives you your conversion multiplier. Take your other number (240 which was the height) and multiply it by the conversion multiplier (which was 0.4 in this case). For me, I got 96. So, without adding bars to the top and bottom, my video frame size is now 128x96. In case that was kind of confusing (I've been up all night, and may not be making any sense at all) here's a formula for NTSC video 4:3 ratio:

w=width
h= height
c=conversion multiplier
x=height before letterboxing

(128/w)=c
(h*c)=x

Go into virtualdub, hit the video->filters menu, and select resize. Configure the filter. Input both of the numbers we just figured out (128w x 96h for me), then go down to the checkbox that says resize and letterbox image, check that box. Our letterboxed size will ALWAYS be 128x128. Preview it, and check out your new letterboxed (bars on the top and bottom, or left and right depending on the original ratio) video.

Hope this helps... if anyone is interested, I'll be adding some retro TV show intro sequences into my game as commericals (Thundercats, Silverhawks, Knight Rider, etc) possibly even adding a 'commercial' channel, for funny and worthwhile commercials made over the years (Superbowl commericals sound promising for this one) let me know if anyone would like these... maybe I can Rar/Zip them up.

-Coffee

Also, worth noting... I use Sims2Pack clean installer, and after everything was all said and done in SimPE, I made sure to open the *.package file with Sims2Pack and install my newly created package that way...

Again... Hope I helped in some small way...

It Didn't work
the blue screen contineus
but i can see my videos on other channels, but i whant my own channel pleaze help me
Lab Assistant
#234 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 4:39 PM
I'm totaly lost i think im using a newer version and the layout if different. can some make an updated one but use more detail and explain stuff.
Test Subject
#235 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 3:01 PM
thank but one question why is it just blinking blue?????? i have movies in the file but still is just blue!!!
Test Subject
#236 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 11:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by paurri
Ok, everything on this is working fine for me until I have to save the changes I made to the brodcast file. It keeps saying that it cannot create the file and to make sure that the path and file name ar correct. How do I get past this?

Do you have Vista? If yes, you don't have the administration rights (because of some kind of security thing) and that's why you can't change the file.
Google it, there's plenty of stuff about it out there.
Lab Assistant
#237 Old 29th Sep 2009 at 10:59 PM
I tried everything in this thread to eliminate the blue flashing screen, and nothing worked. However, I discovered something on my own:

There are actually *two* broadcast files in c:program files/ea games/the sims 2 mansion and garden stuff/tsdata/res. One is under c:program files/ea games/the sims 2 mansion and garden stuff/tsdata/res/Config which is the one everyone talks about. The other is under c:program files/ea games/the sims 2 mansion and garden stuff/tsdata/res/UserData/Config It looks like the same is true of AL as well.

By changing *both* of these files, as well as the one in my documents, I was able to eliminate the blue flashing =) If everything else fails, give this a shot.
Test Subject
#238 Old 30th Oct 2009 at 2:33 AM
First of all, thank you very much. I used this tutorial years ago and I'm not sure if I ever expressed my gratitude.
Quote: Originally posted by Dubird
Ok, have a question that involves the Free Time expansion. Since they added movies, I thought I'd stick a few of mine own in, just for fun. First of all, this is a great tutorial, and I was able to create new movie choices for each of the movie types, so thank you for that! However, it doesn't show up in the first pie menu. When you first click on the tv, there's a Watch Movie option right away. Do you happen to know where that can be changed? I can't find it anywhere. These work if the sim is already watching TV, which is good, they just have to actually watch it first.

I have the same problem, whether I use my custom movie category or an existing one. Could someone please let us all know how to add new Movie options (not channels)?
Test Subject
#239 Old 24th Nov 2009 at 9:34 PM
This worked great for me! New version of SimPE a little bit different than in screenshots, but got it figured out. First time I ever tried to mod a game like that!
Test Subject
#240 Old 15th Dec 2009 at 1:28 AM
i have double deluxe, and i have the blue screen problem. i did what skyler and dan&mel but i dont have a broadcasts thing in my downloads folder. i got the pie menu ting up but thats all i can do, so any tips for double deluxe users?
Test Subject
#241 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 12:25 AM
Default change
Am I able to just change the existing chanels name to something else and not go through all the confusion by creating a brand new one ?
Test Subject
#242 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 6:50 PM
Default radio
And what about custom radio stations ?
Test Subject
#243 Old 4th Mar 2010 at 8:03 AM
I have a problem: I don't seem to have a "Custom Television Channel.package" file! what do I need to get one?
Test Subject
#244 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 8:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by happymintchocolate
I'm totaly lost i think im using a newer version and the layout if different. can some make an updated one but use more detail and explain stuff.

Same here = = I don't know how to work with SimPE, so it's kinda not understandable for me ^^" I'm stuck at changing the caption, there's no "value" thing in the newer SimPE, there's only filename, string and description.

I know it probably sounds stupid but I've never seen the program before D:
Test Subject
#245 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 1:40 AM
ok so i have all the expansion and stuff packs from sims 2 deluxe instead of base game and nightlife to mansion and garden. so what am i supposed to do in regards of the broadcast.ini file? it says:

[Broadcasts]
0=tvstation_sbn
1=tvstation_music
2=tvstation_children
3=tvstation_food
4=tvstation_workout
5=tvstation_static
6=static_short
7=tvstation_sports
8=tvstation_pets
9=tvstation_weather_spring
10=tvstation_weather_summer
11=tvstation_weather_fall
12=tvstation_weather_winter
13=tvmovie_familyfun
14=tvmovie_bubblebath
15=tvmovie_bwcat
16=tvmovie_checkers
17=tvmovie_faires
18=tvmovie_fetch
19=tvmovie_mimecat
20=tvmovie_pooltable
21=tvmovie_weather
22=tvmovie_werewolf

so am i supposed to add my channel as 23=tvstation_"name" right after number 22?

or should i add it between numbers 12 and 13 and make the new channel number 13 and adjust the rest of the numbers?

please help i am really confused thanks
Lab Assistant
#246 Old 12th May 2010 at 8:08 PM
i have managed to find channel but havent name or vids, please help
Inventor
#247 Old 18th May 2010 at 7:40 PM Last edited by VioletPadfoot : 13th Jun 2010 at 5:13 PM. Reason: answered question, letting everyone else know
my question is the same as natigirl's. Do i adjust the numbers or add the channel at the bottom? (actually i originally wnated to know why the custom channel i downloaded worked, but all my movies from freetime flashed blue, but i figured that out. i had gone the easy route and copied the broadcast file the creator provided over my m&g broadcast file, except it was made pre freetime. so now that i'm going to fix that issue the right way, do i need to adjust the numbers or can i just add the new channel to the bottom of the list?)

EDIT: I checked and added my new channel(s) to the bottom of the list using the next available number and all three channels I've added work just fine. And nothing else screwed up like it did befroe.

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Test Subject
#248 Old 19th May 2010 at 5:10 AM
Default Blue Screen
What's happening with the blue screen is that some of the later expansion packs are overwriting your broadcast.ini file in your "My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config" folder. What I did to get around it:
  1. Edit "My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config\broadcast.ini" to add in your station
  2. Save the file
  3. Right click on broadcast.ini and click "Properties"
  4. Check the box marked "Read Only"
  5. Click "OK"
Your blue flashing screen should now be fixed.
Test Subject
#249 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 11:53 PM Last edited by lestyboss : 11th Jul 2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Another note
Ok, spent a few days toying around with tutorial. Vista users cant change the Broadcast file in game, so copy the Broadcast.ini file from the LAST expansion BEING USED.

C:/Program Files (x86)/EAGAMES/Apartment Life/TSData/Res/UserData/Config

and paste it to your desktop, edit that one. Use lower case only for that one, no caps! If your last channel listed is

[Broadcasts]
0=tvstation_sbn
1=tvstation_music
2=tvstation_children
3=tvstation_food
4=tvstation_workout
5=tvstation_static
6=static_short
7=tvstation_sports

then yours would be #8. If your last channel listed is

[Broadcasts]
0=tvstation_sbn
1=tvstation_music
2=tvstation_children
3=tvstation_food
4=tvstation_workout
5=tvstation_static
6=static_short
7=tvstation_sports
8=tvstation_pets
9=tvstation_weather_spring
10=tvstation_weather_summer
11=tvstation_weather_fall
12=tvstation_weather_winter
13=tvmovie_familyfun
14=tvmovie_bubblebath
15=tvmovie_bwcat
16=tvmovie_checkers
17=tvmovie_faires
18=tvmovie_fetch
19=tvmovie_mimecat
20=tvmovie_pooltable
21=tvmovie_weather
22=tvmovie_werewolf

then yours would be #23.

When finished, copy the finished one and replace the old ones. (It will prompt you for permission, say yes, and its done) Must replace the Broadcast file for ALL expansions and its subs (mansion, etc.)

C:/Program Files (x86)/EAGAMES/Bon Voyage/TSData/Res/UserData/Config
C:/Program Files (x86)/EAGAMES/Nightlife/TSData/Res/UserData/Config

and so on.

Also, when making your changes to the CustomTelevisionChannel.package with Sim PE, the material names instance 88 file MUST be lower case only. The others seem to matter not.

I also found that there was a Name Reference (NREF) file within the SimPE CustomTelevisionChannel.package that said Television_Channel_SBN, I changed that file also to read my channel... Television_Channel_ReelTv (which is what my channel is called). Dont know if that matters or not, but it took only 5 seconds to do, so why not.

Hope this helps!
Mine works great. Thanks for the tutorial!

Another note for those that asked; anything you record within the game converts it to an .avi . To test if your new channel is working, play the game, hit the "V" key to record, it then saves it into your documents/EA Games/Sims 2/Movies. Rename and move that video clip into your new channel directory and it should work. You can also place those into existing Maxis channels to over ride the Maxis TV shows.
Test Subject
#250 Old 2nd Aug 2011 at 5:10 PM
I have Mansion and Garden and AL . So which Broadcast.ini should I edit ?
And when editing , should I write
Quote:
[tvstation_abc]
Folder=Broadcast/TVstation_abc
DontRestart=1

or :

Quote:
[tvstation_abc]
Folder=Broadcast/TV_abc
CommercialInterval=300
CommercialFolder=Broadcast/Commercials
Page 10 of 11