Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#151 Old 15th Feb 2006 at 7:47 AM Last edited by niol : 15th Feb 2006 at 9:50 AM.
I don't know why this recolour keeps on fail to work.
I've already followed the relative naming pattern to personalise those names:

MMAT-override
##0x1C050000!AAA

TXMT

filename
AAA_txmt

cMaterialDefinition
AAA

Properties
stdMatBaseTextureName
##0x1C050000!BBB

File List
##0x1C050000!BBB

Categorised Properties
##0x1C050000!BBB

TXTR
BBB_txtr

PS:
setting stdMatAlphaMultiplier to 0 will also make the object look invisible...Why?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Numenor(MTS2)_SphereMatte_Moi_sphere_Ag003b.rar (3.6 KB, 11 downloads)
Advertisement
Inventor
#152 Old 15th Feb 2006 at 1:03 PM
Okay, if I missed the answer, I'm sorry, its still early for me - I want to do a recolour of the Divide and Conquer room divider download from Maxis - but it isn't enabled. I am going to keep trying to find an explanation on how to enable it, but any help is appreciated - when I cloned it instead, I lost both in game.

Reyn

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Part-time Hermit
#153 Old 15th Feb 2006 at 2:12 PM
niol, could you also upload the object that this recolor is made for?

Reyn, did you want your clone to replace the Maxis divider? If not, try giving the clone new GUIDs. While cloning, which options did you have checked? To not replace the original, leave all the default cloning options as they are. Then go to each Object Data and get new GUIDs (if you don't know how to do that, I will give more detailed instructions). From there on, proceed as with any recolor package: Import your texture, commit and save.

Then if you want to create recolors of this clone, it's going to need some further editing, namely editing the Geometric Node and Material Override. But we'll get back to that later if necessary.
Mad Poster
#154 Old 15th Feb 2006 at 4:50 PM Last edited by niol : 18th Feb 2006 at 8:02 AM. Reason: attachment removal
Thanks for checking it...
N, here's the object it's made for...
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#155 Old 15th Feb 2006 at 5:00 PM
NIOL - I can't test right now, but 99% the problem is in the names you have chosen for the Material Definition (TXMT) and the Texture.

In the texture name, NEVER use underscores ("_").
The TXMT, the name must follow a strict naming rule: modelName_subsetName_colour_txmt.
You can't add underscores to the name, and you can't delete/move the ones already in the name.
In a separate recolour package, like the one you have posted, you *can* change at will the first part (modelName), and the last part (colour). The subsetName must be the one suggested by SimPE when creating the recolour package (in this case, "sphere").

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Part-time Hermit
#156 Old 15th Feb 2006 at 7:24 PM
Numenor was right about the underscores in the texture name. I changed the underscores to dashes, and fixed the texture references in the Material Definition accordingly, and the recolor seems to be working fine now .
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Numenor(MTS2)_SphereMatte_Moi_sphere_Ag003b.zip (2.8 KB, 13 downloads)
Mad Poster
#157 Old 16th Feb 2006 at 5:08 AM Last edited by niol : 16th Feb 2006 at 9:24 AM.
Oh, now I see why I keep on failing to customise the names... & "_"
I didn't realise there's a pattern there for the underscore thing and the subset name...
And now I feel glad that I've learnt this and shall try again...! :D
Thanks for the clear description and explanation, Numenor...

Thanks for fixing it for me, IgnorantBliss. And, I'll take it as an guide example if I should fail to rename them...

going back to try again...

Update:

just realised that all cases have to be low for the TXTR name
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#158 Old 16th Feb 2006 at 11:02 AM
As for the lower cases, yes, it's better: sometimes (you will never know when! ) the game decides that names *are* case sensitive...

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

#159 Old 16th Feb 2006 at 9:03 PM
Hi . . . my name's Jeannette and this is my first time posting here [ I'm also swedish btw . . . at least that explains my poor english ]. I'll have to admit that I admire the ones here with all the patience to answer the same questions over and over again . . . :salute:

I'm a total newbie at SimPE and I have been playing around for a couple of days or so. Anyway . . . I have two questions for you [ I couldn't find the answers anywhere ]. I would like to make some recolor paintings using Maxis "Lady On Red" and I've been trying three different ways in SimPE.

This is what I have so far ;

Photo Studio - easy to use although somewhat limited. Very high quality on the final result [ in all "zooms" ] . . . and a huge filesize - 686 kB . . . Yikes.

Wizards Of SimPE - also easy to use, actually my favourite for now. Perfect quality on the final result in every "zoom" . . . but then again, same filesize . . . 686 kB.

Object Workshop - not to hard [ with a great tutorial, of course ] but with low quality on the final product [ and even worse when zooming out ] compared to the above [ and I have tried it both ways mentioned here ; "import" or "Build DXT" ]. However, filesize 88 kB and thats always something. :nod:

Now . . . How can I make a recolor painting with the perfect quality of Wizards Of SimPE but with the filesize of Object Workshop ?

. . . and how do you make high quality preview images of your finished painting if you don't want to use "ingame pictures" ? I know about the preview function in SimPE / Photo Studio but that's not an option.

Does all this make any sence ? Well, you never know . . .

Jeannette
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#160 Old 16th Feb 2006 at 10:57 PM
Mixelia - Most of the times, a huge package size is due to an excessive dimension of the image you are importing.
Using the PhotoStudio is probably the easiest way to recolour a painting, but you always have to be sure not to use *big* images. For a square painting, usually the size of the image should be max 256x256; a large 2-tile painting *may* use a 512x256 image, but in most cases it is not necessary to use such huge images. As a rule of thumb, try and keep the size of the original image for the painting you are recolouring.

If you want to use this tutorial, instead of PhotoStudio, follow it carefully, and be sure - when you import the image using the "Build DXT" function - to select the DXT1 format.

If you still have problems, try posting here the image and/or the package that you have created, so we'll take a look and see what's wrong with it.

#161 Old 17th Feb 2006 at 12:52 PM
Thank you for replying . . . this is what I found out so far ;

Before installing Nvidia DDS Utilites I got perfect quality but huge filesizes when using Photo Studio and Wizards Of SimPE . . . and now - after installing Nvidia - I've got less quality and smaller filesizes [ 88 kB ] no matter what method I'm using to create a recolored painting. They look pretty good up close but when zoomed out the picture is blurry. Is there a way to change that using this tutorial ?

Jeannette
#162 Old 18th Feb 2006 at 11:26 AM
Ooppss . . . forgot to add that I've tried to "manually" resize my images and there's still no improvement.

Jeannette
Part-time Hermit
#163 Old 18th Feb 2006 at 12:56 PM
If you select "High Quality (Raw 24)" in Photo Studio for "Quality", then, yes, your painting will have a higher texture quality, but the file size will be unnecessarily large. Some compromise must be made between excellent texture quality and reasonable file size. The Build DXT option and DXT 1 or DXT3 should usually produce a good enough texture quality. Just make sure your original texture is of good quality, and of the right dimensions.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#164 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 9:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mixelia
They look pretty good up close but when zoomed out the picture is blurry.

If they are slightly blurry, this may be due to the smoothing that, by default, the "Build DXT" function apply to the image.
You can change this setting choosing "SharpenSoft" (or other "Sharpen..." options) from the drop-down menu in the Build DXT window, es shown in this picture:

Part-time Hermit
#165 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 9:45 AM
For some reason, none of the Build DXT options, like sharpening, make any difference for me. The result is always exactly the same, no matter which options I choose.
#166 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 10:35 AM
Thank you both for being very helpful.

Numenor ; I got a hint yesterday at another forum [ TSR ] to change the default setting "smoothen" to "none" [ why on earth didn't I think of that myself ] and now I have perfect quality images at a reasonable filesize, if I use DXT1 - 88 kB and if I use DXT3 - 174 kB. Just what I wanted . . . Thanks again.

Jeannette
Test Subject
#167 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 12:19 PM
Please update these instructions to SimPE version 0.54.2223.28029 as the graphics in this tutorial do not match my version of the program. I am new to this stuff so I need accurate tutorials as I do not want to accedentally break my game.
Part-time Hermit
#168 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 12:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sim2veteran
Please update these instructions to SimPE version 0.54.2223.28029 as the graphics in this tutorial do not match my version of the program. I am new to this stuff so I need accurate tutorials as I do not want to accedentally break my game.

Which parts don't match? I don't think any buttons or important layouts have changed since the version of SimPE that was used for this tutorial. The graphics may be different if you have a different Windows color theme, and/or if you have chosen a different layout for your SimPE.

Updating all the tutorials every time a new version of SimPE comes out would take a huge amount of time! Most of the time the changes are not critical, you should still be able to follow the instructions.
Test Subject
#169 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 1:00 PM
GRR after spending several minutes looking around the programs GUI I finally noticed that the scroll bar was down a little so I moved it up and the next button appeared. Apparently when the prgram installed it did not start with the scroll bar all the way up. I have never before seen a programs start up defaults set to have the scroll bar in the middle instead of all the way up. It still dose not display the name of the EP on the bottom when I scroll down. Maybe that won't be a problem any way since the tutorial says that that dosn't work right anyway, maybe it was removed in my version.
Mad Poster
#170 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 7:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
For some reason, none of the Build DXT options, like sharpening, make any difference for me. The result is always exactly the same, no matter which options I choose.

Quote: Originally posted by Mixelia
Numenor ; I got a hint yesterday at another forum [ TSR ] to change the default setting "smoothen" to "none" [ why on earth didn't I think of that myself ] and now I have perfect quality images at a reasonable filesize, if I use DXT1 - 88 kB and if I use DXT3 - 174 kB. Just what I wanted . . .

In my limited experiences, when I recolour with detailed texture, I tend to use "none" since I fooled around the "filter" option coz filtering means losing the accuracy of the source whether something is added or removed. I'm unsure if all the other options make a difference among them, but "none" does make a difference to me...

sim2veteran,
Just relax... Recolouring things can be a pleasure and some funs... MY SimPE version is probably only half a month older than yours.. I've doing alright... with this tutorial...
Test Subject
#171 Old 24th Feb 2006 at 4:21 PM
I have a small problem this is the first time I am trying this and when I reach the section where I have to

{When you have edited and saved the texture, it's time to import it back into SimPE. Right-click on the image and choose Build DXT.}

when I right click on the pic the option to choose Build DXT is not enabled what should I do?

"The grass is not greener on the other side you just need to water your lawn".
Part-time Hermit
#172 Old 24th Feb 2006 at 4:34 PM
Did you install the DDS Utilities like you're told to do at the beginning of the tutorial?
Test Subject
#173 Old 25th Feb 2006 at 1:21 AM
Yes I did install the DDS Utilities

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#174 Old 25th Feb 2006 at 1:40 AM
Default Nvidia DDS utilities
Since many people just miss the important info at the beginning of the tutorial, and ask why the "Build DXT" menu is grayed out, I've included in the first post a picture that explains how to specify the path to the NVidia DDS installation in the SimPE Preferences:

Test Subject
#175 Old 25th Feb 2006 at 2:40 AM
Thank you for your help.

Page 7 of 47