Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#76 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 7:53 PM
No pools. Sure I'm ok with that.
But no toddlers? WTF are they thinking??
This will just add to the "Glapp" between ages..
Advertisement
Instructor
#77 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 7:54 PM
Quote:
And while we recognize that some of you will be disappointed that pools and toddlers won’t be available when The Sims 4 Base Game launches in September, you should know that we’re building an incredibly strong foundation that is capable of fulfilling every one of your desires in the years to come.

That's... like... is that second clause somehow meant to placate the first one? "You won't get these things that have been standard in the past three and two games, respectively, but you might be able to pay for them in the future!"

What the fuck. Like, jeez, if ever there was a time to release new information to at least make this look like a trade-off, IT'S NOW. Instead we just get "nope, those things aren't here, and we're not going to try to even make it look like there was any reason for it." I mean, rationally I know that they don't just leave out features for shits and giggles... but they're certainly making it sound like they did.

How about this: "we don't have toddlers, sure, but babies have been greatly expanded upon since TS3. Stay tuned next week for a blog post all about it!" Unless... babies haven't been expanded upon...

I can't possibly think of a reason they would leave out toddlers that's not "this was going to be a young-adult only game and we had to implement other lifestages in a hurry." And if that's true of the game... why should I have faith in it, at all? And, pfft, they're sure in a difficult position now: if they never add in toddlers, that sucks, and if they do, we'll have to pay for it. Can you imagine the outrage. I would never buy it out of principle.

I promise I'm not as grumpy as my avatar looks.
Instructor
#78 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 7:54 PM
Quote:
These are features like Wall Height Adjustment, Dynamic Foundation Sizing, and Smart Windows!

smart windows... SMART. WINDOWS.

Why everything has to be smart omg!
Scholar
#79 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 7:54 PM
Prepare for the Toddler expansion pack, and the pool DLC - coming to an Origin near you in the next year....
I have no damn clue what they've done to this game, but it ain't worth the asking price.... it ain't worth the spit on the bottom of my shoe.....
I understand going back to their roots, but they've gone right back to the Jurassic period....

...Titanium white...
Alchemist
#80 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 7:56 PM
Hmm... what if the baby/toddler age is somehow combined? Maybe on day two, let's say, you "unlock" the ability to teach walking, talking, etc.?
Okay, nvrmind. I see where he def. says toddlers WON'T be... etc. My mistaken hope tanks.
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 7:57 PM
No pools and no toddlers... in September. I don't like hearing it confirmed, but I expected as much and I'm glad to finally have a definitive answer.

I don't know... I think this is something I, personally, can deal with for the moment. My individual preference would be to try out this new game in September and then wait for the toddlers and pools (among other things) to come at a later date, rather than have no game at all for another 6 months to a year just for these two features to be implemented.

I think the TS3 toddlers are cute - but really high maintenance. I tended to power through that stage as quickly as possible with whatever cheats necessary, so while I think it's a let down that they aren't going to be in the base game, it's not a deal breaker for my gameplay style.

Same with pools. Odd and disappointing not to have them from the get-go, but for me - I enjoyed looking at them far more than I ever ended up using them.

I think I will be busy enough checking out the new world(s), experimenting with different personality/trait combos, and trying out the different careers and hobbies/skills and what not, that I will manage just fine without toddlers and pools. For awhile.

Sorry for the rest of you who this impacts in a greater way. It is definitely a disappointment.
Mad Poster
#82 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 7:57 PM

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 7:57 PM
"you should know that we’re building an incredibly strong foundation that is capable of fulfilling every one of your desires in the years to come."

hahahahahahahahaha I'm not paying $70 for a "foundation"... basically they're saying "buy this and then buy expansions later to turn it into a real game".... if that's what they're proposing then the base game should be free
Alchemist
#84 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Enjoji
I understand going back to their roots, but they've gone right back to the Jurassic period....

I love you to death.
Inventor
#85 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 7:58 PM
Let's take out toddlers because no one does anything with them because we've limited their gameplay in past games but let's keep both adults AND young adults even though they have the exact same damned gameplay.

Like seriously... it doesn't make sense. If you're going to take out an age, take out the freaking REDUNDANT ONE not the unique one.

So we're going to get useless freaking infants, aren't we? Burritos with legs that you just feed them and toss them in the air to change their diaper and that's it.
Forget toddler toys, teaching toddlers how to walk/talk/etc, or anything else fun.

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#86 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 7:58 PM
Damn, I should have shifted my investment focus on smelling salts. I'd be rich by the end of today.
Instructor
#87 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 8:00 PM
but we have smart windows people! who needs todlers when your windows can be smart
Theorist
#88 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 8:01 PM

@_lovcat_ @TheSimsBoi Babies and Toddlers were not combined. We know they're distinctly different and didn't want to shoehorn them in.

https://twitter.com/SimGuruGraham/s...874460455088128
Instructor
#89 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 8:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by applefeather2
Hmm... what if the baby/toddler age is somehow combined? Maybe on day two, let's say, you "unlock" the ability to teach walking, talking, etc.?

Thinking about it... I don't think there's a reason for this. Babies, even in TS2, were just objects, and basically had no interactions that toddlers didn't have. If you're going to have the functionality of toddlers, I can't see how adding an object that has no unique functions would be that difficult. And, anyway, if they were combined, saying "no toddlers" while having most of the toddler functionality present, but not saying that... it's a marketing fail I don't think even EA is capable of, 'cause it just creates drama over nothing.

Lab Assistant
#90 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 8:01 PM
I admit that I'm ok with the new life stages -- as long as "babies" means baby+toddler combined. Personally, the baby stage was really boring in TS2+TS3 and if it's gone, I'm glad. I usually aged them up as soon as I could because they were so boring and and just a nuisance. I will be shocked if the toddler stage is gone completely, I don't see why they would do that, but then again, pools are gone, sooo....

Edit:... wait... they actually said "... no pools and no toddlers.." ????? so there's no toddlers at all?!?/?"???

WTF
Lab Assistant
#91 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 8:01 PM
I can't believe how excited I got after reading no pools. I mean I'm not excited that we don't have pools, I'm just excited to have an answer. FINALLY.

How sad.

Sims for for life! My opinion doesn't really matter but I like to share it anyways. :)
simblr
Scholar
#92 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 8:02 PM
I've been dreading that they're not going to have toddlers in this game, and that doubled with the fact that teens are just YAs copied into their own age range is honestly just lazy. I don't care if we had to wait until next year for the sims game just make sure you actually have all the features of a Sims game in there. It's just a bit ridiculous at this point. And they had better not stick toddlers in a freaking ep like daycare time or something and instead have them as a patch update because quite frankly that should have been in the basegame to begin with.

This game is going to be a disaster. I was super optimistic for it and even pre-ordered the game but now I don't know EA

Sirius Black: Escaped Azkaban, Outran Dementors, Outwitted Ministry, Killed by Drapery
Where I've been hiding...
Lab Assistant
#93 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 8:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lovcat

@_lovcat_ @TheSimsBoi Babies and Toddlers were not combined. We know they're distinctly different and didn't want to shoehorn them in.

"....so we left them out"

makes no sense whatsoever
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#94 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 8:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by applefeather2

I'm guessing the whole "Babies have legs" thing points at that. So babies maybe will be born as sort of 'two year-olds' and through game play progress to 'five year-olds', but look the same the whole time...?
I don't even know what to speculate of EA logic anymore. This only makes everyone even more confused and angry. Just show the damn game play already...
Instructor
#95 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 8:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by QueenJimmyIV
Let's take out toddlers because no one does anything with them because we've limited their gameplay in past games but let's keep both adults AND young adults even though they have the exact same damned gameplay.

Like seriously... it doesn't make sense. If you're going to take out an age, take out the freaking REDUNDANT ONE not the unique one.

Toddlers require unique models, interactions, gameplay, etc. That takes time to create. Adults require slightly altered faces from adults. The work to implement one is negligible, the other not, so it makes perfect sense to cut the one that takes more work if you're going to cut one.

Scholar
#96 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 8:04 PM
It's going to be a looooooong summer.
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 8:04 PM
I can understand pools being left out. Although it's been there from the beginning and is a loss for the base game.
I'd like to see them add a lot to pools when it becomes available. Actual pool parties that make sense, beach ball, maybe diving skill...swimming skill....a wide array of pool stuff. But really that's just sad that it's left out. It sucks to be honest.
But baby to child? Huh? What?
What is a "baby" to EA? 0-5 years? 0-3? So the baby turns from 0 to child? I just don't get what they consider a baby. The toddler stage only makes sense. Baby (newborn) toddler (2-4) child (5-whatever they consider teen)
Ugh.... Graham can you answer that? After all, the baby stage has been revealed, and now has become baby straight to child....
I'm simpatient to know!!!! Lol
Alchemist
#98 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 8:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lovcat

Thanks for asking him, lovcat. That settles it for sure.
Mad Poster
#99 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 8:05 PM
I hate toddlers in Sims 2 and really, really hate toddlers in Sims 3, so I don't mind if they actually are left out (they made them the most annoying age group). But if they end up putting them in an EP, it just proves how wallet-milking EA has become. "We leave even the most basic ages stages out of the base game to make people pay for them later."
Test Subject
#100 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 8:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by QueenJimmyIV

THIS! I know I know, they had the adult-stage ready, yada yada.. but from a players point of view this is stupid. Sure, I can live without toddlers but I love my generational gameplay.

This blog post made me even more skeptical of buying this game, but atleast they finally admitted it. Now I feel lost, because I was so obsessed with this willthey-wontthey dilemma, and well, they won't. Now I'm not so interested finding new info, but never say never, right?

But don't think you can't get rid of me that easily
Locked thread
Page 4 of 920