Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#22826 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:13 PM
What are GPs?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#22827 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AsaButler
What are GPs?

Gameplay packs - mentioned in a survey a while back and a foreboding vision of a terrifying future.

"Find something to believe in, and find it for yourself. When you do, pass it on to the future".
Theorist
#22828 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Flaygor
Same here as @shoggoth, one post even condemns my ordering the game while also praising someone else who is already playing it and (sort of) enjoying it!

There is no

I gave praise to LoveCat's videos for how they are being done. She is not hyping the game, suggesting that people that don't buy it are losers and all the other BS that has been going on.

It would be nice if people kept things in context...
Theorist
#22829 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:17 PM
My ears are burning! What do y'all need? :P

And don't think of it as "caving" it's not really that. It's being pleasantly surprised and it's all dependent on if you like what you're playing with. Plus, if you "cave" and hate it. Great Game Guarantee sounds like a good safety net.

I will say that playing the game and watching the game being played by people with an agenda aka live broadcasts etc. Totally different feel.

Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat

I gave praise to LoveCat's videos for how they are being done. She is not hyping the game, suggesting that people that don't buy it are losers and all the other BS that has been going on.

wat? is that actually happening?
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#22830 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:18 PM Last edited by Don_Babilon : 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:29 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
I'm not the only not caving, right?

(This isn't about me wanting to control what other people do, it's me being sad that EA is going to be proven right in their marketing of this game, and so the next ones will be even more monetized and marginal.)
No, you're not the only one. And I am not even resisting some unconfessed urge.

I just don't feel the need to have this game, even though, oddly enough, my playstyle would not be overly restricted by the absent features. I play TS3 without Story Progression, aging is off most of the time, my main characters are Young Adults and rarely commit to family life and rather leave their children, if they have any, to the care of someone outside the main household; I dislike the repoman and the burglar, I hardly ever build a pool; I like my Daredevils take pointless Extreme Showers Until Extremely Clean; etc. etc. TS4 would be quite enjoyable for me, I guess, at least when written on paper. But then I see screenshots or video clips and can only think: No!

In addition, I do have a Sims game already. It took five years to complete. Those five years ended a few months ago. So why should I throw that away now and start the whole drudgery again?

And yes, my betting list is proof that marketing can do whatever they want, they will sell the game, and can insult their customers with next to no repercussions.
Scholar
#22831 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperFake
So he's also talking? All I heard from him the one (and only) time I watched his channel was him screaming like a guy who wants to sound like a girl who actually sounds like he just hit puberty and lost his mind over that.
that's the other half

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Field Researcher
#22832 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:21 PM
Is this talk of praise/condemnation about the agrees and disagrees? Because I don't think those two groups are in the same camp. It's one thing to get a bunch of disagrees because its passive and people could be disagreeing with a word you used for all you know, but condemning is something that is specific and actively attacking another.

I, for one, am among the shrinking "not buying it" crowd. EA chose to make a game that is so far away from the kind of game I want to play, and I don't think it's fair, to me or the community, to hope and pester modders to fix it so that it is. Not to mention, I just don't like the idea of being EA's cash cow to milk at every opportunity. If my reasons against the game change over time, then I might give it a go. Otherwise, meh.

That said, I wish those with Sims 4 love continue to enjoy it. They made the game for you.
Top Secret Researcher
#22833 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AsaButler
What are GPs?

Less than an Expansion Pack, more than a Stuff Pack. More reason to dissect and ration the game into exorbitant pieces. They may have to start putting 'All pieces sold separately!' on the boxes.

Link: http://honeywellsims4news.tumblr.com/search/survey

The future of The Sims 4.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Lab Assistant
#22834 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by happycowlover
So y'all would rather continue the series as an unrecognizable, microtransactioned monstrosity than letting it bow out gracefully as a quality game?

All that huffing and puffing for naught.

There is literally no logical rationale in buying this game except OOH! NEW! SHINYYYY! They have not shown themselves capable of solving bugs and glitches, a major issue y'all complained about ad nauseam for five years straight (thankfully my TS3 did not experience nearly the amount of bugs reported). They have significantly altered, reduced, or omitted selling points of previous installments. There isn't even a main selling point that hasn't been in the game before.

EA is a company about its money. You know that. They would not have hollowed out the base game to jam-pack DLC, EPs, GPs (why are these now a thing???????), SPs if you weren't purchasing them. This is why we are not taken seriously as consumers because we cave in so quickly. So quickly. Y'all. We were just debating this game a week ago and now it's on your computer? Y'all won't have any merit once the charlatans come around with their "awesome, tactile, intuitive" elixirs and potions.

For those without a purchase, stand strong. You are not alone. Find a quality video game to play. Play TS1/2/3. Turn off your computer and live a little. This sounds hysterical, but there is so much more to life than shelling out $60 for a product that was deliberately half-assed.

Note: I am not trying to rain down on anyone's parade. I'm happy that you're happy. It's that it's frustrating to see people flip the switch so easily and support something like this. I wish I had the game. I wish I was fawning over my new family and features and yayyy! But I'm not. Because, to me, it's not worth it.

I wonna type a wall of text but i'll try to keep it short...
I understand where you are (I was on that spot that you are talking about a month ago), but lets face it this community never stood a chance and sims 4 will succeed if you like it or not, had the community months ago decided to pull together and show EA (even if they did not care for toddlers or pools or whatever), this is too far lets put our foot down, then maybe maybe EA would have felt something... (instead the community broke and had the "I don't care" attitude)

And yeah we aren't alone ;P and you aren't alone either (I'm still refusing to even think about this entire game, nomatter what they do at this point)
But i do like to see people who enjoy the game explain why they like it and what they hate about it, but EA wont get my money this time around (also looking at the official forums i can say that there are also alot of people who seem to have abit of a buyers remorse effect)

It's still a wait and see atm though, can't say if this game was fully a succes or not yet (hopefully EA will release numbers on this game soon, and release the fair numbers not without the returns or cancelations)
Test Subject
#22835 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:38 PM
Looks as though there's a crack out, but no way of telling if it's legit or not.

Lovcat, I checked out your video, was nice to get to see it from a normal person's view!
Also, I look forward to reading the bug thread over at the official forums, hope for some fun reading. Just need to find some popcorn to go along with it.
Field Researcher
#22836 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AstraAlvina
Looks as though there's a crack out, but no way of telling if it's legit or not.

It's not.

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
-Honeywell
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#22837 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:48 PM
The official bug thread has 4 pages already: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...-before-posting

But this one is in a separate thread and is really funny:
Quote:
I just had a sim host a wedding party and get married to the sim he was engaged to. Guess what? After the wedding party finished, SHE LEFT along with the guests. She did not join my household, she did not even change her last name to my sims. In the relationships panel, it shows her as my spouse....yet the last name didn't change, she doesn't even live with my sim nor did the game ask me if I wanted her to. She just left.
http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...marriage-fix-it
Scholar
#22838 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
I'm not the only not caving, right?

(This isn't about me wanting to control what other people do, it's me being sad that EA is going to be proven right in their marketing of this game, and so the next ones will be even more monetized and marginal.)

Nope. I'm still not getting this game, at the very least until there are 4 or 5 EPs out; everything I've seen/read in the past few hours has only confirmed it is not the game for me. However I am going to cave into buying DragonAge Inquisition, so they will be getting my monies for that.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Forum Resident
#22839 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
Homework was way too easy to get an A in, in both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 so that is really something positive.

On the other hand, I think all kids should start out with the lowest grade possible.

In TS2 it was always hard for me because they never did their homework autonomously and they dropped their homework in various places around the home lot causing me to either completely forget about homework sometimes and when I did remember then going on a hunt to find where they put it. And then if you have multiple kids in the household like I do with my TS2 family, it's annoying trying to find whose homework is who even though I know they can do each others homework but that's not how I want to play, lol. Although sometimes I do have the kids (I think parents can do that too) do each other homework because their grades are getting too unsatisfactory and that specific child is asleep or in a bad mood.

Now TS3 I wouldn't say is too easy but it's definitely not difficult either. In fact I really like kids autonomously doing homework even if it's only when they are in a good mood. But there are times I'm not paying attention thinking they did their homework but they didn't, so didn't opt to have them work on late homework and their grade suffer for it.

Anyway, I think realistically grades should start at A and their should be certain things that must be fulfilled in order to get full credit on homework. Such as writing an essay but your sims needs at least 2 logic and 2 writing skills (sort of like how skills are linked to performance in jobs) to get an A so by the time kids are teens they can, if the player wants, max out their skills. Plus I think sims should slowly gain skills while in school, it's stupid that they don't but I'd like to have control over which skills each child learns that would make sense for a school like logic, athletic, artistic, etc. Similar to boarding school that was introduced in GEN. I'd like to be more involved in my sims lives but that's just me. Plus I'm a family-orientated type player so yeah, lol.

I just love to feel MORE immersion in a Sims game not less which I feel is the case in TS4 moreso than TS3.

EDIT: Oh yeah I know OT but I always wanted to be able to lock/unlock skill levels and skills in general. For example: I want my sim to "only" learn and know the skills martial arts, athletic and cooking. Or have a sim who is horrible at cooking and no matter how many attempts they are just not good at it. So any Mods like that or does Nrass help with that? I just think it's neat to create a sim specific to my vision without the game adding all these other skills to all sims.
Field Researcher
#22840 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:54 PM
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#22841 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:58 PM
I dunno if you still play TS2, Deshong, but MogHughson's put your homework away mod totally eliminates homework-hide-and-seek, and makes it really easy to tell which homework belongs to whom, too.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Top Secret Researcher
#22842 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:59 PM
I've always been a very logical person and douse my emotions and desires with reason. I often expect others to do the same and am shocked when they don't. It's an ongoing issue in my life.

Scholar
#22843 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 3:03 PM
Okay, I'm having an existential crisis over here, and I have to write this down, just to get it out of my head. This is gonna be fucking stupid and I'm probably gonna get a gazillion dislikes, and I'll probably deserve it, but I just.. ugh here goes.

Maybe it's a good thing that it's not out in Europe yet.. I need to think this through.

ED: I feel like the biggest moron ever for writing this, but.. it is what it is. /sigh.

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Scholar
#22844 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 3:03 PM
You can't start Sims off as boyfriend and girlfriend. It's either loveless marriage or complete strangers. You have to grind the relationship out yourself.

Yet more fake longevity added to the game by making you grind goals every time.

Source: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...idnt-make-it-in

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Theorist
#22845 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 3:04 PM
I'm awake because my cat won't let me sleep and I broke up poor Betty Flumprawr's family for y'all to test the jealousy aspect. Incoming video.

It's probably be line of sight based. Sims that aren't getting jealous might just not see the act. Same with labor, Betty's husband is flipping out about her giving birth.
Theorist
#22846 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 3:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nina333
SnootySims tweeted the following article by the Financial Post:

Electronic Arts’ The Sims 4 aims to prove there’s still a market for pricey, PC-based life simulators

Quote:
“Women are playing a lot of Candy Crush Saga, Kim Kardashian: Hollywood, and hundreds of other mobile and tablet games, as well as social games on Facebook,” explained Mr. Pachter. “[The Sims] is clearly a social/role-playing game, and its addressable market has been cannibalized by other social games.”

Yeah, this is a priority in my life. Playing a game with Kim Kardashian's name that is loaded with micro-transactions. All the reviews on that game ( and countless others) that I've watched have been done by men. Granted, they play these things to poke fun at them, but there are some educational notes to be had under the snark and general bullshitting.

Mr.Pachter should try getting his head out of the Wall Street bubble and see the trees that are in the forest. Getting some fresh air will be a added bonus.
Scholar
#22847 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 3:08 PM
Kim Kardashian has her own game?
Ok then.

Oh, and Mr. Pachter? Go step on a lego or something, you generalizing douchenozzle.

Mad Poster
#22848 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 3:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
No, you're not the only one. And I am not even resisting some unconfessed urge.

I just don't feel the need to have this game, even though, oddly enough, my playstyle would not be overly restricted by the absent features. I play TS3 without Story Progression, aging is off most of the time, my main characters are Young Adults and rarely commit to family life and rather leave their children, if they have any, to the care of someone outside the main household; I dislike the repoman and the burglar, I hardly ever build a pool; I like my Daredevils take pointless Extreme Showers Until Extremely Clean; etc. etc. TS4 would be quite enjoyable for me, I guess, at least when written on paper. But then I see screenshots or video clips and can only think: No!

In addition, I do have a Sims game already. It took five years to complete. Those five years ended a few months ago. So why should I throw that away now and start the whole drudgery again?

And yes, my betting list is proof that marketing can do whatever they want, they will sell the game, and can insult their customers with next to no repercussions.

Yeah, I haven't even completed it yet, but it cost a lot of money to get the crazy mess called Sims 3. Don't really feel like going through that again unless it was an amazing step forward visually. I would like the S4 roof tool for Sims 3 - that's about it.
What I'm surprised about is that people don't mind that you can't opt out of the data collection (if I understood the explanations about the User Agreement), So many people never even had Origin because it was evil, but that's okay? (Disregard if I haven't correctly understood).
Top Secret Researcher
#22849 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 3:09 PM
Anything is better than the Kim Kardashian game. And the Kardashian Klan. Though I do idolize them solely for their business practices. To become richer and more famous for absolutely no reason. Brilliant!

She must be EA's financial adviser.

Theorist
#22850 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 3:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TotallyJW
Kim Kardashian has her own game?
Ok then.

She does

And people are sopping it up because it has her name on it.
Locked thread
Page 914 of 920