Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jun 2019 at 12:36 AM
Default Supernaturals: How Do You Play Them?
I'm curious to read about how other simmers play supernaturals in their game, if you do at all. Do you avoid all supernatural stuff completely? Play the supernaturals exactly how EAxis made them? Use mods/CC to change the supernaturals appearances and/or behaviours? Play some supernaturals but not others? Play supernaturals that are not EAxis-made (like MidgeTheTree's mermaids, genies and fairies, for example)? Play supernatural mixed in with your "normal" sims, or in separate supernatural 'hoods? Anything else you'd like to share about supernaturals in your game?

I'm thinking about making and playing a supernatural 'hood, where (almost) all sims are supernaturals of one type or another - mostly inspired by MidgeTheTree's new supernatural types/fabulous mods for EAxis supernaturals and Katatty's Hollyhead, as well as other CC for supernatural sims that I've come across recently. I would possibly use EAxis premades turned supernatural, but I'm very much still toying with the idea. I do have a lot of thoughts about which supernaturals I'd use, how I'd play them and what mods/CC I would want to use, though, which I will share a bit about tomorrow or Sunday.

I'm curious to find out how others play supernatural sims in their games. I look forward to reading people's replies! :-)
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 29th Jun 2019 at 1:10 AM
I love Supernaturals, well, my two favorite are Vampires and Witches. I also like PlantSims too. I play all except Zombies and they are always mixed in with my "normal" Sims. I don't exactly play as EAxis made them. I'm not sure how I play them, actually. If my Sim wants to become a Supernatural, I let them. I defaulted the Evil witch skin so that it's not green - I despise the color. My vampires don't have that blue overlay either, my default eyes got rid of it and I love how my vampires look now. I play with Midgethetree's Fairies for my Summerdream and Moonbeam families. I've got Midgethetree's edited BoilingOil's Slow Aging Controller so that the Supernaturals age differently. Vampires age once a week like the Fairies do. I forgot what the other Supernatural settings are, pretty sure Witch is set to every 2 or 3 days.

I've thought about making a Supernatural hood but I keep getting turned off because some Sims hate Supernaturals. I don't want a hood full of Knowledge sims, lol. I don't want consistent fears and negative memories about Supernaturals either.. A hood full of Supernaturals sounds so fun though! Vampires & Witches everywhere, hehe.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jun 2019 at 1:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
I've thought about making a Supernatural hood but I keep getting turned off because some Sims hate Supernaturals. I don't want a hood full of Knowledge sims, lol. I don't want consistent fears and negative memories about Supernaturals either.. A hood full of Supernaturals sounds so fun though! Vampires & Witches everywhere, hehe.

Yes, this is a problem. But MidgeTheTree made a couple of mods which make a) all memories of becoming supernatural green and all cure memories red and b) block supernatural wants and their corresponding fear (it's not possible to only block wants, or only block fears, because of the way that the game is coded, but you can choose for each want/fear pair whether you want to block it). You can find the mods here :-)

They're not something I would use in one of my standard/typical 'hoods, but they may be of use in a supernatural 'hood :-)
Meet Me In My Next Life
#4 Old 29th Jun 2019 at 2:20 AM
I don't like playing the supernatural, I don't even like the idea of my Sims visiting downtown and run into a blood sucking Vampire.
No, not in any of my neighborhood but I did add downtown to Pleasantview, in my custom hood I did not add downtown, I don't want my Sims around those blood sucker. lmao

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Theorist
#5 Old 29th Jun 2019 at 3:09 AM
I always found the supernaturals (at least as they work without mods) to be rather underwhelming. Like Vampires are pretty much just immortal Sims who are a pain in the....bottom...to take care of without mods (they won't even stay in their coffins until sundown without mods!) Plantsims would be alright if they had all age groups and some customization. The Sims 2 spells for witches/warlocks are pretty underwhelming Etc. etc. etc.

Still I've set myself the goal to at least use some of each supernatural in my current hood.

If you count Aliens as supernaturals, then I use them the most. In my current neighbourhood 10% of the populations are aliens, and that includes Sim-Alien hybrids born in the game and Cas-created "Full Aliens" whom I play as completely hairless, male and female, old and young. I also made them matriarchal, meaning that a heterosexual couple usually takes the name of the woman.
Then the next most common supernatural in my hood are witches. Even though I find them somewhat underwhelming I do like to use them on occasion and give them some specialties. They are the only ones who are allowed to call grim to resurrect a Sim and evil witches/warlocks enjoy creating zombies. Those zombies then die when their creator dies, because I wouldn't want them around the neighbourhood forever (i also cure them of zombi-ism before they return to their graves, so that their picture in the family tree looks nice again)
Also being a witch/warlock is genetic. Only the daughter of a witch can be a witch, only the son of a warlock can be a warlock. The most prominent witch family in the early neighbourhood was bella's family, but they are mostly gone now.
And I use witches to simulate "Demons" (atrociously evil witches/warlocks) and I have a repalcement skin for the good/evil witches.
I only had one werewolf so far, Mortimer Goth was a werewolf for a few days when he was a teenager for a few days until Bella whipped up a potion to cure him. But I might create a pack as some point.
Some vampires are a necessity for a specific storyline that's tradition in my game. So Nina Caliente and her son with Don (Diego) are vampires, but as I said, I find Vampires particularly disappointing, even more without mods that let them feed on Sims or make them not-blue.
Still planning on, at one point having a Sim who creates a Servo husband/wife for him/herself.
Haven't used Plantsims yet so can't say how I'm gonna play them this time around.

Never gonna use Bigfoot. And the Genie isn't playable. THough it would be awfully fun if there was an option to free a Genie and make them playable.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 29th Jun 2019 at 3:26 AM
I keep meaning to use the supernaturals, but I never end up actually doing it. If I had Seasons I'd love to have tons of Plantsims. I guess the ones I do have just don't interest me.
I do love the aliens. In my main 'hood I have a set of alien triplets who are off to college in a couple days. I also have another 'hood I haven't played for a while with this whole story about a government experiment and volunteer alien parents...
I'm not sure I'd count servos as supernatural, but I suppose for purposes of the game they would be. I've got two in Agnar Sound, both made by the town's roboticist Julia Centowski. There'll be more once my playables actually start buying them--or marrying some townies who did. I want all the robots in town to come from the roboticist, so that it's kind of a rare thing. Mostly I just play them like regular sims who recharge in the morning instead of sleeping at night, and never eat, bathe, or use the toilet.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Undead Molten Llama
#7 Old 29th Jun 2019 at 9:47 AM
I use Boiling Oil's "Alien Experiments" mod plus a hacked telescope that allows Sims to choose to be abducted at will in order to introduce "supernaturals" to my neighborhoods. In my mind, they are simply genetic conditions, with certain advantages and disadvantages over being "normal," induced by meddling aliens. I don't see aliens as "supernatural" so much as just a different humanoid species, so I don't really count them. So, if a Sim rolls a want to be a supernatural, I send them off to the aliens and they might get their wish...or they might not. They might get turned into something they didn't want to be or they might just come back with a stowaway. Same if a changed Sim roll a want to be cured. I send them to the aliens, who might grant them their wish. Or might turn them into a hybrid. Or might just knock 'em up. That's up to the aliens, not me.

And then there are the folks who just decide on their own to go see the aliens. I once had a Sim, a male Family Sim, who seemed to decide on his own that we was just going to be a willing brood mare for the aliens. He'd constantly choose to be abducted, and if he didn't come back pregnant, he'd go right back up. And then if he DID get pregnant, he'd stop, usually. But then he'd start up again. I think he cycled through every supernatural at least three times, and at one point was a hybrid of, like, four of them at the same time. He lived for a long time because he was a vampire for a long stretch of time. He had at least a dozen alien kids over the years. Never got married, never had a kid a with a human. He never rolled wants for any of that, I guess because he was too busy visiting the aliens to bother with the whole mundane dating thing.

Anyway, other than that, I mod the supernaturals a lot. I make deadly the ones that ought to be, for instance. (Namely, vampires and werewolves.) Plantsims generally become hippie earth muffins. They sometimes end up living communally together, budding and also having kids the old-fashioned way together, free love style. I don't usually play with zombies because nothing about them amuses me and their walk annoys me, but if you mod out the walk there's nothing particularly special about them, so....meh. I'm also fairly underwhelmed by witches, but Midge's mods are making them more interesting to me.

One thing I do is make the various conditions heritable. Midge made a mod that does this automatically, but not in as detailed a way as I do it. I keep track of supernatural genes in each neighborhood in a spreadsheet, especially when it comes to unexpressed supernatural genes for born-in-games, so when a Sim with supernatural genes breeds, out comes a Punnett square and the random number generator to decide if the kid's gonna be supernatural when it gets to the age when it can be one and, if so, what kind or what combination of kinds. This way, two human-looking Sims with unexpressed supernatural genes can possibly have not just a supernatural kid, but a supernatural-hybrid kid. I can go into more detail about the system I use if anyone's interested, but otherwise...yeah. The heritability plus mods is actually what keeps me interested in supernaturals because just as they are, I agree with whoever it was above me who said they were underwhelming. I just refuse to accept underwhelming, I guess.

Oh! And Bigfoot. I so wish "normal" Sims could be made into Bigfoots, but...alas. Still, I like adding them to my households. They're modded a bit so that they aren't such superbeings, and what I mostly use them for is...childcare. I dunno if it's just been luck of the draw in my game or what, but ALL of the Bigfoots I've added to households have been just really, really good with kids. They love them and the kids seem to love them back, so I just let the Bigfoots do the kid thing, which frees up parents to do other things besides the childcare grind.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 29th Jun 2019 at 11:58 AM
I've played the vampires and the alien types-with mods they're barely tolerable. The others I've never bothered with, especially the zombies who tend to take over a neighborhood in a flash. All of them, IMHO, are just differently colored pixels with weird want panels and lack of personality.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Forum Resident
#9 Old 29th Jun 2019 at 3:02 PM
I've started introducing more supernaturals in my game so I'm loving this thread idea so I can get more ideas to use in my own game! So far the supernaturals are sprinkled throughout my normal megahood if sims get wishes to become one. I also have the mod where there's a chance the aliens change an abducted sim into a supernatural one to add more in my game that way.

I do use various mods in my game to make the supernaturals more interesting. I've always used aliens if we're counting them. I don't really play them any different than a normal sim though except for that they don't have to use influence points to influence others. For werewolves, I've made it where they will attack a sim if they come across them in werewolf form and are furious with them. Like they have an uncontrollable rage that could kill the sim they're furious with if the sim loses the fight. I only have a couple of witches so far in the hood that I haven't quite decided what to do with them. One is Olive Specter who is working on creating a zombie army. Whoever she makes a zombie will be my first time playing one so no thoughts about them yet. I really don't like how plantsims don't have all of the life stages so any sim that might be one is actually going to be a fairy using Midge's mod. I haven't made a vampire yet so I haven't figured out their lore for my hood either
Mad Poster
#10 Old 29th Jun 2019 at 4:55 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 1st Jul 2019 at 7:15 PM.
I don't use supernaturals much (not in TS2, anyway), but I might have if they could be transferred via genetics like aliens. I've done a little bit of work on babies to have some clothing options (there are a lot of clothes for other ages already), but that only improves the visual bit, not the actual lifestate. It's fun for photoshoots, though.

Once upon a time I had a story planned out centered around Bigfoot and a baby left in the woods, but never got around to do more than a few pictures, possibly a bit of writing, though I have no idea where I saved it. I guesss I got sidetracked by other projects (that's the same time I started making infant outfits, so I guess I got reeeeeally sidetracked - I did make the setup for the story ingame, and the baby was the first one to ever try on an infant outfit I'd made, so that's a bit fun).

I think I've played least with witches. Tried after I installed AL, but other than that not much. I haven't played much with vampires, but I did have a lot of fun with werewolves and plantsims, though it always annoyed me that they all pretty much look identical, so CC is needed for variation. I've probably played most with aliens, even if they don't have much in the way of extra interactions.

I had more fun with supernaturals back when I played TS3, because there were a few more things to do with them, but they're one of the features you quickly get bored with because there isn't that much special you can do with them (I really liked the unicorns, and the fact that most of the supernaturals had transferrable genetics). In TS4 I enjoyed playing with alien sims until I realized just how borked they and their genetics are. Ended up with a huge bunch of purple aliens and no green ones from that parent combo (and a mystery turqoise I have no clue where came from), and their offspring only get puple kids. They do have some alien-spesific interactions, but it's mostly "talk" with a few original hand gestures, and not particularly interesting.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 12:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
One thing I do is make the various conditions heritable. Midge made a mod that does this automatically, but not in as detailed a way as I do it. I keep track of supernatural genes in each neighborhood in a spreadsheet, especially when it comes to unexpressed supernatural genes for born-in-games, so when a Sim with supernatural genes breeds, out comes a Punnett square and the random number generator to decide if the kid's gonna be supernatural when it gets to the age when it can be one and, if so, what kind or what combination of kinds. This way, two human-looking Sims with unexpressed supernatural genes can possibly have not just a supernatural kid, but a supernatural-hybrid kid. I can go into more detail about the system I use if anyone's interested, but otherwise...yeah. The heritability plus mods is actually what keeps me interested in supernaturals because just as they are, I agree with whoever it was above me who said they were underwhelming. I just refuse to accept underwhelming, I guess.

I would like to read more about your supernatural inheritance system, please :-) I'm currently working on a supernatural inheritance system for my own game and I could use more ideas to help me decide how I want it to work :-)

Thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread - it's been interesting reading about how you all play supernaturals (or why you don't play them, for some of you!). I definitely have favourite and not-so-favourite supernaturals and there are some - vampires and zombies and bigfoot - which I won't be including in my supernatural 'hood at all. So I plan to have (part-)aliens, fae, fairies, genies, mermaids, naelves (plantsims), werecats, werewolves and two types of witches. The whole thing will require copious use of mods/CC, as well as record keeping by me to keep track of the genetics. I want to have different inheritance systems for different types of supernaturals, for variety, but it will complicate things! :-) I am still thinking about how I want to do the supernatural inheritance system, but I will come back and post about it here again in a day or two when I've worked out the first draft of my ideas.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 1:05 AM Last edited by natboopsie : 1st Jul 2019 at 6:12 PM.
In my uberhood before my current hood, the Summerdreams moved into the original Greenman house (it's basically a greenhouse...ha, now I see that may have been Maxis' implied pun!) in Riverblossom Hills, and I played them as fairies. That got pretty involved, so I'll put it under a button.

Apologies up front---for some reason, linking wasn't working for me when I wrote this post, so I had to just use automatic parsing for my links. I'll check back later and try and get those integrated into the post if the system lets me. ETA: Got all the links redone, made some spacing and capitalization corrections too.

By the way, I just noticed this lovely set for fairy (or plantsim?) toddlers. So much modding talent has gone into this game, and I love it!

As for other supernaturals, I played vampires a lot when I just had EPs through OFB, and I modded them to be deadly and also stay asleep during the day. Since I was still relatively new to TS2 as a game then, vampires were an excellent option for checking out everything that NL had to offer, because of how their motives froze at night. I appreciated them for that (and the flying-as-a-bat was fun), but these days there's just the Grand Vampiress who makes cameo appearances in my game---I don't expect to have any playable vampires anytime soon, though of course I never say never either in this game!

I find zombies a bit dull; I did play and really appreciate the quality of HBG's Quadington University, but I also was really appreciative for the aspiration-reward potion I downloaded to remove zombieism later into that hood. Zombies didn't really inspire me, gameplay-wise. Cyjon had a few mods that made them a bit more interesting, like making them immune to food poisoning...but that still wasn't much.

I liked Bigfoot, if only because of the Bigfoot Hug thing, which I thought was pretty charming! My Bigfeet are modded so that if made playable, they are never as skilled as Maxis intended them to be. They were always pleasant additions to my hood, though the fact that they'd bring home some new goodie every day from work did make them kind of OP. (I started destroying those objects with Pescado's Stuck Object remover to avoid them adding any wealth to whatever family was currently hosting Bigfoot.) And actually, like iCad, I moved my Bigfoot around for a while among families that needed an extra helping hand, whether with childcare or just keeping cooked food in the fridge or the house clean.

To me, aliens are more of a skin-color and eye-variation thing; I like seeing what comes up genetically when they're in the mix, but unlike with fairies, I wasn't ever motivated to do a whole storyline with them. I never was too interested in the witches, either; after reading about what a PITA the reagents seemed to be (yes, I know you can mod them out, but then that seemed OP to me), I've never even been motivated to make a single one.

Probably my favorite two supernaturals beyond fairies, and the ones I'll probably put in my game again soonest, are werewolves and plantsims, in that order. With Cyjon's Werewolf Personality ensuring that they don't all end up exactly the same, plus the fact that you can cure and re-bite them at any time, I thought werewolves were extra fun, and I always got a kick out of seeing them visiting community lots at night in their transformed guise. Plus, it was a nice touch that they were better at training dogs, so I often made sure werewolves had dogs or were dog trainers for hire. I suppose I actually liked plantsims as sort of an upgraded version of vampires---I never really needed my vampires to be deadly (when I modded them to be, it was mainly because I sort of had nothing better to do, in my up-to-OFB game), so the little pollen prank that plantsims do was plenty. I suppose I just really enjoy sims that have fewer, or slower decaying needs than others, since I often have some idea for the hood that can benefit from a sturdy sim to carry it out; for me, werewolves and plantsims were great for that, with reasonably balanced trade-offs.

ETA: lauratje, I just saw your post above. I suppose it's more accurate really for me to term my former "fairies" as fae, the way I was playing them.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Mad Poster
#13 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 3:22 AM
I'm pretty sure the subhood that was the centerpiece of my supernatural Sims' storylines has finally been corrupted enough that it's no longer playable, but I couldn't remember where most of the story arcs were anyways, since it's been years since I really 'played' the game regularly (I should probably start a new uberhood from scratch sometime soon, but that's just too big an undertaking to contemplate ATM), but while it was actually still functional, I ended up with a pretty cohesive narrative for all the supernatural states except Servos and aliens.

The neighborhood as a whole was kind of a18th-Century vibe to it, so no real high-tech stuff, lots of country houses and colonial styles, small town centers, farms, etc..., all hidden away in the middle of a huge forest for why my headcanon is that it was affected by the preponderance of magical energies to the point where time passed differently for it (my justification for having aging on here, and off for almost all my other Sims in the "normal" parts of the megahood.

Witches/warlocks were the "normal" sims of the neighborhood, so upon becoming teens, every Sim had one of their parents cast Magus Mutatio on them as part of a kind of a magical coming-of-age ceremony (orphaned Sims had to seek out an orphanage, monastery, or convent in the hopes that they could still receive that enchantment on their birthday- if not, they became non-magical Sims in a society where magic was the norm (think Squibs in the Harry Potter world, but in a more medieval/colonial setting, so they end up even more outcast and down on their luck)

To play up the medieval flavor that goes along with supernatural Sims quite well (at least in my opinion) I also had a few families that were considered to be "great houses" a la Game of Thrones, and these would skew all the way to one side of the good/evil spectrum or the other. I deliberately started all these families very large, so that there could quickly become lots of distant cousins with similar enough ancestry to keep royal bloodlines somewhat pure (not quite as incestuous as the Targaryens, but about as close as the vanilla game allows). Through political marriages and alliances, these great houses could dominate the sociopolitical landscape without even needing to rely on magic, but could also at times get into more magically-inclined conflicts that would reshape the neighborhood for a generation or two.

Vampirism and lycanthropy are both recognized as magically-occurring ailments for which there is no cure (no potions for treating anything in my game), and Sims afflicted with such conditions often find themselves cast out or exiled from their families (even great houses) and tend to either gravitate towards other Sims with similar supernatural afflictions in the graveyards or deep forests around the town, or else go off completely on their own, often going a bit crazy in the process. Very rarely, a member of a great house would be infected and not exiled, but instead hidden away... these tended to be the most interesting storylines, in my opinion- my favorite Sim ever was a member of the evil Ivanovich great house, who had been groomed through her whole childhood and young adulthood to one day secure the Ivanovich family's dominance for years, but she was bitten by a grand vampire when celebrating the completion of her schooling (actually not what I'd intended, but I decided to play it through instead of exiting without saving, just because it seemed such an interesting storyline). Her family concealed her for years, but eventually she outlived everyone who'd known her, and moved out of the dark mountain castle that was her family's seat, and took up a life of crime and domination among the normal Sims elsewhere in the megahood (both my Nosferatu Court and Sanguine Towers lots were built with her in mind)... I'd eventually planned to have her return with a vampire army at her back to reclaim her seat and upend the neighborhood when it got boring, but alas, I think corruption has probably stymied that.

Plantsims and Bigfoots are both naturally occurring characters... some kind of influence from all the magic in the environment or something. They tend to live in the woods and not interact too closely with the rest of the neighborhood, but when they do, it can have big impacts... a Plantsim glade was responsible for assisting the good Davenport family in securing dominance over the community for a generation, and their blessing or lack thereof can have a huge impact on how successful the crops are in the many farming homesteads throughout the neighborhood. Bigfoots are even more reclusive (I only ever had three of them going), but the most interesting bit of that story was when they kind of adopted a Sim who'd been cast out as a result of his lycanthropy, and helped him kind of 'tame' his beastly nature, so that he was actually able to resume his place with his family (one of the kind of middle-class families on the edges of town... he still couldn't have lived in the city center safely.)

Zombies weren't all that common... generally only the evil great houses would have them, and they would be the resurrected corpses of their foes, essentially serving as ghoulish servants (certainly not the Romero-inspired brain-eating zombies of current media craze). They didn't ever really seem to add that much to the story, but I kinda wanted to add them just for the sake of having them somewhere (those were the only zombies I'd ever actually had in my game)

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Inventor
#14 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 1:31 PM Last edited by Sketching : 8th Jul 2019 at 12:33 PM.
Back when I still had my Frankenstein of a megahood, I tried out all of the in-game supernaturals and, like Orphalesion, I found them underwhelming and overwhelming at the same time, such as neutral witches not being particularly interesting, but the vampire UI poses and animations too much for me to bear. I wanted a semblance of my usual themed hoods, however, so the storyline developed into several of the premades being rewritten into supernaturals hidden in the human world but were being hunted down by General Buzz Grunt to the point that an all-out war was on the rise.

Besides that one long-defunct megahood, I rarely play human-supernatural hybrid hoods because I don't find much of a difference between them, which becomes more marked when they're played side by side. In my game, "supernaturals" isn't exactly the right term for it as they're just... there. As in they're just one of the many hereditary races in the world, each one having their own features and lifestyles without one really being that superior over the others. I use BO's Slow Aging Controller for some variation between the ages along with some other calculations I do myself.

I currently have hoods that are supernatural-exclusive, but yeah, only some of them are actually in-game supernaturals since they're played more like alternate worlds instead and the in-game ones don't generally have the features that I prefer. Sometimes in an odd manner in that I have Avatar element-benders who go to Hogwarts, which is more of a university most can attend anyway as long as you pass their academic standards and adhere to their policies. I have my own system for the racial inheritance, so I don't use mods for such. I have a set of eyes geneticized according to my preferences to help with that.

At the moment, my main hood is an exclusively supernatural post-apocalyptic BACC mash-up which has been around for generations, but since everyone's still trying to get by and the backstory involves the founders starting a new world after nearly being rendered extinct by the humans, there isn't much in the way of sociopolitical conflicts.

I have another exclusively supernatural hood that is presumed as such from the get-go; in contrast to my earlier statement and the previously-mentioned hood, this one carries a good bit of sociopolitical unrest. Not so much vampires versus werewolves but more all-powerful, immortal Sun-personified tyrant at the helm fuels barely-veiled discord among the populace. Certain sims are trying to find a way to overthrow said despot, yet there are spies in their midst that are all too happy to keep things as they are and rebels who might not be as benevolent as they appear...

Probably a controversial stand, but I don't play aliens nor have abduction pregnancies. I use BoilingOil's alien experiments to give outcomes other than pregnancies and supernatural changes - things like personality changes, amnesia, and motive drains. I use non-telescope telescopes to fit the setting, and the type of telescope that "abducts" them is used for storylines. Were they using a dragon statue? Looks like someone was picked up by a dragon then.

I used to have Almighty Hat's Stolen by Fairies for Multi-PTs before I realized that I preferred all of the in-game children having parents that are or can easily be turned playable and wasn't fond of the skewed family trees PTs and Plantsims could make, so that was eventually removed and revamped into another self-made system. I use a default replacement of the alien genetics and turn them into Melusine or some other aquatic race instead. Sometimes, they're the only ones allowed to fish. Other times, they're the caretakers of sealife, so they "own" the lakes or beaches and watch over any visitors who want to fish. If anyone starts any trouble there, they'll feel the wrath of the guardians.

I once used Strangetown as a BioShock-ish, steampunk hood with aliens as genetically-altered humans. That was kind of fun.

(TS4 aliens had features, yet I didn't manage any TS4 alien reproduction because they kept autonomously erasing my sims' relationships with them. I don't know if that was a bug or "feature" but since they don't have a memory system and had that annoying moodlet glitch, it was truly going back to 0. No, less than that, since I bothered spending time, effort, and money [for the spaceship] to marry them in in the first place, only to be reduced to a creepy smiling stranger in my house after all that. Back to the townie void you go, unless you catch me in a bad enough mood that I throw you into the trash bin myself, if the game won't do it first!)

I banned the genie lamp in my game (don't need nor want the wishes), and I haven't used in-game vacations in a long time, so I haven't used Bigfoot ever since either.

I only replayed zombies with the version of Midge's zombie apocalypse mod that makes zombification appeal to all motives for my apocalypse challenge. They initially ran over the place, though the military slowly managed to clear the area of them, so they're not as prevalent anymore. The added suspense was kind of fun, but at the same time, I had to edit them so that they'd stop ACRing all over the place, which certainly detracted from the mood!

I have sims who are designated nature fae, but I don't play Plantsims. Again, rather limited for me... In some hoods, the designated nature fae the only ones allowed to garden while everyone else forages so that the gardening skill perks will be limited to them in a semblance of extra features. That way, I interpret it as a natural ability that can eventually be honed with experience, just like "alien" fishing. Sometimes I edit gardener NPCs and gardening club members to look like nature fae for immersion purposes.

Servos are more knight familiars with the default replacements. I didn't want them playable though, preferring the TS1 version, so I ended up not using them either, but I liked the initial idea enough that I ended up modding some of the NPCs to wear knight costumes on duty.

We have a local version of a vampire where I'm from, which is really just a reclusive race of vaguely humanoid bats who are guardians of the night and might help you walk through a thick forest if you don't mess with the wildlife. I wanted to incorporate that, but it doesn't mesh well with the in-game vampires who tend to bleh people into bladder failure and I tend to be bored by the frozen night motives, so while I have some vampire-ish races, they're not actual vampires. My NPC vampires don't have vampire overlays and walk normally, and I have a UI replacement so that everyone has the same neutral-looking UI, eliminating theirs as well. In fact, amusingly enough, my pseudo-vampires tend to be in-game werewolves instead because with mods, they're closer to what I want them to be anyway.

I find the good-evil divide between the witches simplistic for my taste and neutral witches are somewhat shafted, so I did away with the concept and considered them from different types of clans or even completely different races instead. The Specters were reimagined as a clan of necromancers, while Kimberly Cordial was a dark summoner and Oberon Gossamer the King of the Fae, though all of them were evil witches in-game, for example.

In that vein, a lot of their superficial characteristics have been modded out - I can live with my own race-specific titles and features, but no default Something the Atrocious Witch or whatever with green skin, thank you. I modded out reagents because they don't make sense with my version of witches. They take time to cast and already suffer motive drops while casting, so I consider that enough of an MP bar for them. Since they're hereditary in my game, they get Batboxed into their bloodline alignment to signify their natural inclinations but they may or may not learn spells from other alignments depending on their characters. Once, I felt like using Pandora's spells to add some flavor to them, but a lot of the good ones are kind of OP and others are weather-based, which aren't that interesting to me. Good witches are useful for simulating supernatural medical practitioners, though I still find witches underwhelming at times.

I have mods for deadlier werewolves and some minor ones, like allowing them to transform during fights. For those who don't prey on fellow sims, I use the hunting spawners from PBK to simulate them hunting for alternative food sources. I thought of allowing them to eat the raw fish they catch via Midge's mod, but I preferred them going solely for meat to further differentiate them from the other races; I'll have to think about that a bit more. I have mods to prevent them from changing their personalities as well, and I wonder if there's a mod to allow them to transform at will despite the fact that I'm not fond of the transformation lag...

Asides from the fixes for ghosts, I use Hexagonal-Bipyramid's Study or Die modification of Cyjon's Ghost Hack. Sometimes it's to make them more dangerous and other times, I use being scared by ghosts as important indicators of a sort, like whoever the ghost of the founder scares first will become the next Chief of this clan or the reverse for the Dragonlord. To add to the setting, each Hogwarts dorm has their own House Ghost who may or may not feel like mingling with the students in typical ghost manner.

CC, often facial markings and eyes, is used for easier identification of race from a distance as well as designing the setting, so I generally reinforce the supernatural part myself, such as their food or preferred activities. In cases of Shadows, I give them the ability to teleport via the Sim Manipulator once they reach a certain number of body skill points. Waterbenders tend to have bodies of water around their homes, live in eternal winter, and mostly build up body skill through swimming (I'm aware that it'd be difficult to swim in winter for some and there are other ways to build body that aren't limited to them, but I needed some variation) while Airbenders have mostly open-air houses and use yoga for body skills alongside the mentioned mod that gives them additional features, that sort of thing.

I'll admit that the supernaturals might end up sounding blasé and there can be problems when they perform autonomous actions contradictory to their set characters when played this way, but I prefer it anyway.

(Ay, ay, ay, I realize as I end this post. )
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 29th Oct 2019 at 11:30 PM
Apologies for vanishing - I haven't been doing much TS2 stuff lately. It was interesting to read about how you all play (or don't play) supernatural sims.

Does anyone use MidgeTheTree's custom supernatural types - fairies, mermaids, genies and playable ghosts? I'm still toying with the idea of setting up a supernatural 'hood, but I can't quite decide what I want it to be like. I could use some more inspiration! :-D
Forum Resident
#16 Old 29th Oct 2019 at 11:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
Apologies for vanishing - I haven't been doing much TS2 stuff lately. It was interesting to read about how you all play (or don't play) supernatural sims.

Does anyone use MidgeTheTree's custom supernatural types - fairies, mermaids, genies and playable ghosts? I'm still toying with the idea of setting up a supernatural 'hood, but I can't quite decide what I want it to be like. I could use some more inspiration! :-D

I've been having a lot of fun with her fairy type! So far Layla Winterclove is the only fairy in my medieval hood. She is not played in the typical rotation and is only allowed to show up on community lots. She owns the Supernatural Garden which contains the seeds from midge like plasma fruit, life fruit, etc. Sims are only allowed access to her lot when they become friends with Layla. I also use the traits from the Traits Project and Layla is unstable. So when she is on community lots she tends to play a lot of pranks and cast some mischievous spells. She's been quite entertaining. Some pictures under the spoiler!

aka fir3princ3ss
My Youtube Channel
Currently playing:
-Medieval Charter Challenge on The Sims 2
-Ye Olde Royal Kingdom Challenge on The Sims 3
Alchemist
#17 Old 30th Oct 2019 at 11:50 PM
have not done much with the creatures. most of what I did do was in AnyGameStarter or in the Learn to Play section of game or in temporary neighborhoods.
kind of experimented with the become-able creatures (Zombie, Vampire, Werewolf, Plantsim, Witch/Warlock).
Forum Resident
#18 Old 31st Oct 2019 at 1:00 PM
Personally, I don't play supernaturals - I don't even play aliens! In my uberhoods I always make the Smith family into humans and rename Polly into something like Pollux. I like having a more 'realistic' game.

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 31st Oct 2019 at 2:07 PM
Says the player with an alien toddler from their own game as their icon.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Forum Resident
#20 Old 31st Oct 2019 at 2:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by StrangeTownChick
Says the player with an alien toddler from their own game as their icon.

Hahahaha - I hadn't even thought of that. It's an uberhood toddler too, it's Pascal's daughter.
To be fair, she was created BEFORE I started playing the game without supernaturals. I just can't bring myself to get rid of Seren, I do absolutely adore her!

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 1st Nov 2019 at 1:12 PM
How do I play supernaturals? A lot! I have a special neighbourhood populated with mostly supernaturals. I use MidgeTheTree's supernatural traits and have created new supernatural states myself. I love supernatural Sims! However, I haven't created Avatar neighbourhood yet, so my ATLA Sims live in the great neighbourhood of everything.
Theorist
#22 Old 31st Oct 2021 at 5:41 PM
I'd like to know how those of you who use Playable Ghosts interpret them? And how do you make a logical difference between those and zombies? I'm trying to coin an idea in my brain to start a new game using a bit more supernaturalism, but I'm having some trouble. Ghosts do seem to be my favorite thing ever since the base game, and I was obsessed with TS3 when I realized you could make ghosts playable. Though, never having a clear idea in my head what those represent, I always started a new game every two months or so...
Alchemist
#23 Old 31st Oct 2021 at 6:59 PM
Zombies: reanimated body of the Sim is walking around instead of staying in the grave
Ghosts: Soul of the Sim stays on earth instead of going to the afterlife with Death. This isn't possible with game mechanics, so I have to use my imagination, but ghosts have a harder time interacting with the world, like picking up babies, cooking etc. because they don't have a physical body.
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 31st Oct 2021 at 7:12 PM
I love supernaturals but haven’t played them all that much. I have mods for them. I have a mod so females and males should get alien pregnant, plus a multi-PT mod (and a multi-ideal plantsim mod). I have CJ’s new genie wishes plus zombie personality so zombies aren’t so extreme. I have mods for vampires for “bite neck” “deadly neck bite” and “embrace” so they can bite other sims, kill them, turn them into vampires. I have a prank pollen cloud mod for plantsims so they can turn other sims into plantsims. I have werewolf mods as well including a “no werewolf personality changes” because that gets annoying to me. Also have no witch aura, no witch name and no reagents needed. And witches will have normal skin, no green evil witches! I love the color green. I do not love that green or for that purpose lol.

My plan is to add supernaturals into my game and have some sims ok with them, some not. They’ll be mixed in with my “normal” sims.

My Simblr
He/They
Test Subject
#25 Old 5th Dec 2021 at 1:04 PM
I once created a hood where a river divided two sections of land (similar to Veronaville) and had vampires on one side and werewolves on the other xD There were a few scattered human families on each side but the supernatural dominated. The section where the vampires lived in I turned into a city while werewolves lived outside in the countryside. I primarily play with vampires if I had to choose between supernaturals and witches.
My current supernatural family consists of a vampire mother and witch father --> their eldest daughter is both a vampire and witch while their younger son is yet to show any traits. I'm also thinking of a family with a vampire mother and plant sim father since there would be a lot of obstacles (vampire can't be out during day time but plant sim needs the sun to live) and then seeing how these will affect their children once they go to school.
I downloaded a mod to change vampires from their normal maxis skin to normal skin - I'm not a fan of them turning grey, I rather pick their skin and eye color. I also downloaded a mod so they can drink the blood of any sim they want without turning them. For my witches I downloaded a mod where they don't need ingredients to make potions.
Page 1 of 2