Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Last Name Copier 080707

by christianlov Posted 13th Jun 2008 at 2:12 PM - Updated 18th Jul 2008 at 2:29 PM by christianlov

51 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 38 Feedback Posts, 12 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Test Subject
#2 Old 16th Jun 2008 at 8:33 PM
Looks great, just want I was looking for. I was wondering how was I going to let my female sim adopt a child and she's not married to her boyfriend because I wanted the kid to have his last name (It's for a story). Now, it's possible. Thanks!

"I can give you paradise." He said as he grabbed and kissed my right hand. I stared into his dark blue eyes and saw a deep blue ocean. The twinkle in his eyes were the stars. "YOU'RE my paradise", I replied.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 16th Jun 2008 at 11:01 PM
OMG. I've wanted this for ages. I keep forgetting to make my Sims get married before they have kids, and I always go with the traditional way of the wife taking the husbands name, as well as the kids taking their dad's name too. And then have the kids in the family end up having their mum's maiden name, and half end up with their dad's name. So I have to edit them in SimPE. But now I have this. Thanks so much.
Test Subject
#4 Old 17th Jun 2008 at 1:49 AM
This will save me so much time. Thanks a ton!
Field Researcher
#5 Old 17th Jun 2008 at 4:25 AM
I so needed this, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Forum Resident
#6 Old 17th Jun 2008 at 9:00 AM
Just what I needed...
I have a family where the parents where not married when they had kids, but now they are...
kinda boring that the kids still have their mothers last name.
so... THANK YOU!

//HB

♥Adam Ant♥
No, I don't take request at the moment
11/7 -09 My beautiful niece was born!
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 5:59 AM
I am so happy to see this one back again.
I really felt so lost without all your fantastic mods.
Thanks for returning and for updating and creating new ones for us to enjoy.
Instructor
#8 Old 22nd Jun 2008 at 11:05 AM
Is it a new version? I had the previous one but experimented some small issues when after changing the family name of a Sim, I could not make babies or move Sims in the household because I got the message "one of your Sims is pregnant and you cannot move a Sim in before the baby is born". The problem was that I didn't have any pregnant Sim on the lot.
So, I got an object made by 2Jeffs that do not conflict with ours. It is very complicated to change name but it works all the time. You have to change first name as the family name you would like to have and then copy this first name to family name and then change again the first name.
It works like this:
Randy London changes first name to MacCarthur London. Then change to MacCarthur MacCarthur and then to Robert MacCarthur.
Very useful to change for family names that do not exist.
Well, I think I can have use for both mods.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Jun 2008 at 12:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xptl297
Is it a new version? I had the previous one but experimented some small issues when after changing the family name of a Sim, I could not make babies or move Sims in the household because I got the message "one of your Sims is pregnant and you cannot move a Sim in before the baby is born". The problem was that I didn't have any pregnant Sim on the lot.
So, I got an object made by 2Jeffs that do not conflict with ours. It is very complicated to change name but it works all the time. You have to change first name as the family name you would like to have and then copy this first name to family name and then change again the first name.
It works like this:
Randy London changes first name to MacCarthur London. Then change to MacCarthur MacCarthur and then to Robert MacCarthur.
Very useful to change for family names that do not exist.
Well, I think I can have use for both mods.

changing a catalogue string has nothing to with household member limit... this is just copying a name which is the very same primitive used in many maxis bhavs, don't worry
Test Subject
#10 Old 5th Jul 2008 at 1:29 AM
Ah, thank you so much for this it's very useful, especially since I'm too nervous about messing up my game by using Sim PE haha.
Also, I don't have University, only Nightlife, and it worked perfectly well for my game :D
Test Subject
#11 Old 10th Jul 2008 at 5:48 PM
this is brilliant! i've been looking for ages for something that'll change the names of sim kids born before their parents get married. yay, thank you!
Test Subject
#12 Old 30th Jul 2008 at 2:55 AM
hi, the concept is great but each time i install a mod that changes names within the game i get problems. after installing this mod, a bug appeared: I have been unable to marry sims. no error message comes up, just when one sims begins to give a ring to the other they pause momentarily and then disappear before returning with the action cancelled. when i marry them using the arch, the video and motion plays but they are no married at the end of it. this problem first appeared when i installed the "last name chooser" mod. after i took that out, things returned to normal. i've never read of anyone else experiencing this. I have all the games from base to season installed.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 30th Jul 2008 at 12:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mx1234
hi, the concept is great but each time i install a mod that changes names within the game i get problems. after installing this mod, a bug appeared: I have been unable to marry sims. no error message comes up, just when one sims begins to give a ring to the other they pause momentarily and then disappear before returning with the action cancelled. when i marry them using the arch, the video and motion plays but they are no married at the end of it. this problem first appeared when i installed the "last name chooser" mod. after i took that out, things returned to normal. i've never read of anyone else experiencing this. I have all the games from base to season installed.

it is a tool with which you can edit or copy "name", in other words, a catalogue string which resides in a sim character file. marriage or family member limit has nothing to do with this mod.
Test Subject
#14 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 10:35 AM
Awesome! I was looking for a tool that would allow me to give sims new last names without having to go through SimPE. Thanks!!!
Mad Poster
#15 Old 3rd Aug 2008 at 6:41 PM
My hero!!!
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 18th Sep 2008 at 9:25 PM
Is this compatable with AL?
Test Subject
#17 Old 20th Sep 2008 at 1:15 AM
omg thank you so much for this I was looking for something exactly like this!

It works like a charm

twoftmama~
I have AL installed and it worked with it
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 23rd Sep 2008 at 3:41 AM Last edited by xhyleh : 4th Oct 2008 at 1:35 PM. Reason: Oops, it works, turns out I had both the old and current version in my downloads.
Default It works
I have AL and everything works, except the "Edit" option disappeared.
Test Subject
#19 Old 25th Sep 2008 at 2:45 AM
that's weird I haven't experienced that yet with the edit option disappearing I will have to keep an eye on that
#20 Old 25th Sep 2008 at 3:05 AM
I have DoubleDeluxe[=BaseGame+NightLife+CelebrationStuff]+IKEAHomeStuff [soon to add H&MFashionStuff]. Will this be compatible with my game?
#21 Old 28th Sep 2008 at 7:21 AM
Since nobody answered me, I just tried it.
Quote: Originally posted by christianlov
Following commands requires at least one expansion pack among OFB, Pets, SSN, BV and FT.

Edit.../New Last Name
Edit.../New First & Last Name
Edit.../Copy First to Last
Edit.../Copy Last to First
Edit.../Swap First & Last
It worked in my game [see specs in previous post]; at least the menus showed, and I *did* use "New Last Name", which worked fine.

A bug report, however: When I used "Copy last name from...", and the source wandered off the lot before the action queue reached the command, I clicked the Cancel button in the dialog, and the object renamed her to a last name not of my choosing. Selecting Cancel should have canceled the rename instead. Any idea where it got "Thompson" from? There was no Thompson anywhere near the lot at the time, and I don`t even recall there being one in that neighberhood.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 28th Sep 2008 at 9:39 AM
I don't think this has anything to do with this hack, but more with what happens when the game detects a sim without a last name. Just guessing, but Thompson may be one of the random last names used in the game's name generation system when it creates NPCs and such. I used to know most of the names but I have forgotten if it's one of them. You can change that default list if you like, to have only names you like, if you are annoyed by some of those NPC names. There are uploaded lists here that do that. I keep several around for different neighborhoods, for example the Harry Potter names list would really irk me in my elf neighborhood. The Maxis default names are an odd combination of weird and boring. New name lists will not conflict with this excellent hack, or anything else. As long as you use only one at a time, it's entirely safe.
#23 Old 29th Sep 2008 at 1:33 AM
Thanks, Jaedle. I already have one or two of those replacement lists, but I`ve never installed any. It still doesn`t explain why the last name changed when I hit cancel, though. That was the main thrust of the "bug report", though; the rest was incidental details, in case of relavency. Still, thanks for trying to help.
Test Subject
#24 Old 30th Nov 2008 at 8:42 PM
Great! It never made sense to me that Malcolm Landgraab IV should have a son named Malcolm Landgraab IV...
Field Researcher
#25 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 4:46 AM
ha! this is great! I just realized today that last week I had a wedding where the groom took the bride's name, and not the other way around. Now I can give everyone a new last name to be his "maiden" name! Thanks! I really didn't want to try and mess with SimPE
Page 1 of 3