Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#101 Old 1st Feb 2007 at 4:33 PM
Can you show us a screenshot of the files/ folders in your My Documents/ EA Games/ The Sims 2/ Neighbourhoods folder?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#102 Old 2nd Feb 2007 at 3:37 AM Last edited by wicked_t0y : 2nd Feb 2007 at 4:55 AM.
Operating system: windows xp
Computer specs: right now, dont noe, ill edit later.
Games: sims 2, uni, nl, ofb
Details of Neighbourhood loss: i lost my latest custom neighborhood, but all 3 maxis and 1 other custom neighborhood are ok.
Neighborhood file details: when i go to that location i find everything is fine.
Sim PE Investigation: i opened neighborhood browser and still appeared, but when i click on it it gives me an error message and does not let me open it. the error says the file is corrupted and unreadable.
What changed on your system immediately before the corruption: nothing, just several pop ups from the tool bar saying that there is a corrupt file and telling me to run "Chkdsk application".
Any other relevant information: i ran the Chkdsk appli and this http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g..._t0y/chkdsk.jpg is what i get. then it just closes, and i went to the game, but this makes no difference.
hm... i let the computer on while i was eating but forgot to plug it so when i came to check it it was in standby, but when i rolled the mouse, it started to close down.
that neighborhood was the last that i played, yesterday at 12 pm XD.
i tried to delete the neighborhood in mydocs/eagaes/thesims2/neighborhoods/n#5 but it said it was corrupted and cannot delete it.
i used homecrafter to make some walls, and everytime the message of "the custom content has been imported" or whatever, the message from the tool bar appeared.

removed downloads: no
hacks: i do haff hacks but havent installed any new one recently.

EDIT: i turned my laptop off, and when i turned it on again after a while the blue screen appeared telling me that one of the discs had to be checked. it was the same exact thing as my screenie above, the Chkdsk was checking files and stuff. but it did not say "deleting" files, but recovering orphaned files. when it was done with this, i opened SimPE and apparently now i can open the neighborhood, i can use sim surgery, no error messages. i guess that runnig the Chkdsk application corected the corrupted file. im going to go ingame to see if the neighborhood appears.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#103 Old 2nd Feb 2007 at 4:23 PM
Wow, please let us know if it does! If you get it to work, back it up quickly:
http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?p=1105148
And make sure you backup frequently thereafter.
Lab Assistant
#104 Old 3rd Feb 2007 at 8:50 AM
i went into my game ,and my neighborhood went back to normal, i was able to enter it aswel as playing with my families.
sorry i didn't post yesterday but apparently i feel asleep while loading the game, and i don't even remember turning it off lol
wicked
Test Subject
#105 Old 7th Feb 2007 at 3:55 AM
Operating System WIndows XP Home Edition
Computer specs 1.4 GHZ Processor, 510 ram, ATI something
Games I have Sims 2 Christmas edition, Uni, NL, OFB no patches
Details of neighbourhood loss I lost allll of them, not a single one left. I pretty much only play Pleasantview but I have characters scattered around the other ones. I also was just installing it on a new computer and I copied my saved games across. Sooo its the same files on a new computer might make a difference??
Neighbourhood File Details All there
System Changes New computer completely, so I reinstalled the game then replaced the save game files. I also some found some zip files and character installations and installed them aswell. Pretty much all clothes hair etc.
Test Subject
#106 Old 7th Feb 2007 at 4:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
All of the information so far points to this being a savegame corruption, without a seemingly common cause. So far it seems that the only way to proceed is to scrap the affected hood(s) and start over.

it can't be a svegame corruption, at least in my case. I have had this file backup since i reformatted my old computer and have restored it and had it run fine on my old machine. it the exact same file so it cant be that
Test Subject
#107 Old 8th Feb 2007 at 3:05 AM
Hi,
I am so frustrated..I downloaded the pets 2, and everything has gone wrong..I listened to someone who told me to do the body shop trick, I moved my download folder to my desk top..then ran the sims2 body shop, then she said click all then cut and then paste to a new folder the bodyshop would create for me..i did that and now I have no neighborhood..can some one help me resolve this problem..I dont know how to get everything back to where it was before I installed the pets 2..please help..thanks,
Lab Assistant
#108 Old 8th Feb 2007 at 3:24 AM
by a fluke i had to reinstall all my expansions because my reg-keys dissapeared but the game folders where still there.
I make it to my nightlife and as expected it stops installing on the second disk (i did have an iso of it for this reason but it was lost too) I know all the folders are there so i ignore that knowing the regkey was on the first disk, I finish installing, run my game and lo and behold
My default neighborhoods have dissapeared. So i skimmed this thread.
then i tried what SimSample said about coping the neighborhood manager file over to the my documents equivalant. Only i copy the entire Neighborhoods folder from My computer onto the my documents one as well as LotCatalog
Tada, they are back

The answer to life, the universe and everything: 42
Test Subject
#109 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 12:12 AM
Default Lost mine suddenly too, crashing comes with it
i recently just downloaded some maxis-made downloads from the site and i went onto my game and noticed that all of my neighborhoods including default ones have been deleted. all of my files are in place and everything seems normal, so i try to make a new neighborhood, and in the middle of it uploading pets into it, the game freezes up and crashes, the music going wild.

ive never had crash problems before and other than the maxis stuff, ive done nothing wrong.
Field Researcher
#110 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 1:34 PM
I have windows xp, can't remember specs, I'll ask my son later.
This is what happened to me. I made a new neighbourhood and played it for about a month, about 30 sims living there. with a downtown area. I went to play Pleasantview for a few days. Then one day I went to play my custom hood and it just wasn't there. The only thing I had done was delete my downloads folder. That was it. I have all EPs and some hacks that I got from this site, The hacks have never caused any problems for me.
I couldn't find the custom hood in any of my sim folders. it was just gone.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Test Subject
#111 Old 18th Feb 2007 at 11:20 PM
i was able to restore my neighborhood, but none of the families i made are there :/ anyway to get them back using simpe? i see the people in SimPE but they have no skills,memories, anything so its pretty much using brand new people anyway, ugh
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#112 Old 21st Feb 2007 at 2:15 PM
There may be, but you'd have to do a lot of work to repair the associations/ relationships/ memories.... unless you have a backup I'd recommend that you start a fresh hood, and backup often.
Lab Assistant
#113 Old 23rd Feb 2007 at 2:40 AM
Well, I have fallen victim to the "Curse of the Sim". I've lost my custom neighborhood. I am running XP Home with 2.8 GHz and 1G ram and a Nvidia Geforce4 Ti 4200. I have Sims 2, University, NL and OFB with no patches.

I had Pleasantview N001 and Simrose Place N002. I have been playing N002 primarily for the better part for a year with no problems. I went into the game a few days ago and N002 was gone. The files are all still there and the computer knows this because I installed another neighboorhood and it was correctly numbered N003. I had a recent backup which I installed and the same thing happened. No Show! It seems to me as if the path between the game and this neighborhood has been broken.

I 'm not sure when this happened because I had not been in the game for several days but during that time I had installed some microsoft updates and I downloaded a driver for my graphics card. It was late so I didn't install it that night. The next day When I turned on my machine the screen was a real mess. I found that the color had been switched to 4 bit and I couldn't change it back to 32. On further investigation, I found that somehow the driver had installed itself along with my old driver. I removed it and everything returned to normal, I thought. I also did some minor cleanup with System Mechanic. I've pretty much resigned myself to starting again but this is very inconvienient as I am shooting pics for a story I've written.

I had a birthday and I realized that I was old. I also realized that I am ok with that. I just don't want to look it!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#114 Old 23rd Feb 2007 at 3:07 AM
jillysolo, just for a test cut and paste your Sims 2 folder (from My Documents/ EA Games) to the desktop. Run the game- this will generate a clean set of folders. Now exit the game, and copy your N002 folder from your old Sims 2 folder to the new one, overwriting the N002 that the game has generated. Does it show up now? If so, you can put your custom content back into the new Sims2 folder, and also I would re-copy the N002 over as well (some hacks load up when you load the hood, so you could potentially cause some trouble by loading without them). If it doesn't show up then I would hazard a guess at some file corruption.
Test Subject
#115 Old 23rd Feb 2007 at 3:32 PM
hey, i was planing on making this great story to upload and suddenly, the game freezes for 2 minutes, then turns off, i restart it and find pleasant view has disappeared! H elp me plz

.ιłłιłłι.●ธσมℓ ๕яมธสđεя●.ιłłιłłι.©
Lab Assistant
#116 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 8:35 PM Last edited by *Laure* : 26th Feb 2007 at 8:42 PM.
In regard to mac players problems:

Quote: Originally posted by cecim
Hello once again,

I have tried some new things in my search to understand this problem with the disappearing Sims and neighborhoods. Unfortunately, I found out more negative news than positive.

1)I upped the file limit to 40000 for my maximum files. When I tried the Sims2 Pets, it still displayed the wireframe neighborhoods and loss of Sims. So, on my end the lack of file space isn't the problem.

2)Because of the lack of solution with the file limit, I tend to think that it has to do with the corruption of files. However, I wonder (if someone can answer this) what causes the file corruption. All of my downloads have worked faithfully and wonderfully until I installed Pets.

Ceci

Missing neighborhoods and seeing a grid rather than neighborhood preview are classic signs of hitting the mac file limit. The limit is total files used by the game not the number of cc added. So, installing another EP could easily cause one to go over.

I see that you said you raised the maximum number of files and it didn't seem to help. The process can be a bit tricky and I wonder if the changes attempted actually were made.

A couple questions:

Did you up the maximum files per process as well? It is necessary to do both.

and

Did you create a rc.local file (won't work if root user isn't enabled) or did you raise the limit in terminal.? If you only do it terminal you have to repeat the process each time you start your mac.

This issue was discussed at great length in the summer of 2005 on the inside mac games forum. There are precise instructions for raising both the maximum files limit and maximum files per process by using terminal can be found it this post http://www.insidemacgames.com/forum...ndpost&p=228523. Precise instructions for creating a rc.local file can be found in this one, http://www.insidemacgames.com/forum...ndpost&p=229009 Note: you have to enable root user to successfully create the rc.local file. This Apple support doc tells how to do so - http://docs.info.apple.com/article..../en/mh1549.html Also note the warning in this post, http://www.insidemacgames.com/forum...ndpost&p=228855.

I would strongly encourage mac players to read the entire thread for information.

On a personal note, I have found that raising the limits to 40000 + causes problems.

System specs:

2.16 core duo intel imac
256 mbs ati radeon X1600
2 gigs ram
Mac OS 10.4.8
Test Subject
#117 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 3:31 AM Last edited by theGreatAh-Lannah : 4th Mar 2007 at 7:15 PM.
Operating system
Windows XP Home Edition
Computer specs
3.2 GHZ, 510 RAM, RADEON X300
Games
Base CD, Uni, Nightlife, OfB, Pets. The base and pets are patched.
Details of Neighbourhood loss
Pleasentview will not show up, but was working the night before. I have reason to believe it may be one of the hacks that I downloaded that morning. I tried putting all my downloads in another folder, but it still wont show up.
Neighbourhood File details
N001 still appears and with all its characters
Sim PE Investigation:
Pleasentview is the only neighbourhood that will not show up in Sim PE
What changed on your system immediately before the corruption:
None that I know of.
Test Subject
#118 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by: Psycho_Katie

What changed on your system immediately before the corruption N/A

Any other relevant information- I get messages saying that I don't have enough space on my harddrive. The first thing that happens is that, while playing, as I use a character and go to click something, their face dissapears. After that, the neighbourhood doesn't load. BUT- I have since cleaned out plenty of space and haven't gotten the "not enough space" message since. Strangetown shows up in the Neighborhood menu, but if I click it it loads to two blocks (in the upper left corner) then freezes. Unless I played another neighborhood before it, in which case it SAYS that it's loading Strangetown, but it's actually loading the last neighborhood I played.

Edit

Removed downloads- Nope.
Hacks- Nope.

You said you think it was a save game problem? I'm pretty sure mine had something to do with the low harddrive space. But it's still a problem and I haven't gotten the neighborhood to work since (I didn't delete it, as I had hope that sometime there would be a solution found here. I really liked my families there!) I see nothing abnormal about the game files, and I'll try loading that neighborhood again later today again. If anything changes, I'll be sure to post.

Operating system - Win XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 2, Pentium 4 3.00Ghz 512 RAM NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Computer specs -

Games - original, university, nightlife, business, glamor life stuff, family fun, pets

Details of Neighbourhood loss- Only Strangetown. I only played Strangetown.

Neighbourhood File details- all there

Sim PE Investigation- N/A

I had the same "Not enough sapce " popping out. Suddenly my free space reached only 3mb. I checked the Sims 2 to find Strange Town gone. So i started moving and erasing files from my OS disk space. Right now the "Not enough space " is not coming out anymore but still strangetown is missing. I thought maybe it still needed space so I move my "My Documents" to another hard drive. Still nothing.
Test Subject
#119 Old 9th Mar 2007 at 6:22 AM Last edited by kikiyoshi : 10th Mar 2007 at 5:15 AM.
I have windows xp professional, service pack 2, radeon x1300

its an hp media center 930 pentium D processor featuring two processing cores, 1.5 GB memory, 300 GB hard drive

i have the sims 2, nightlife, OFB, university, FFS, GL and now pets (so everything except seasons, holiday pack and the celebration pack)

i installed pets and installed the patch before playing and i backed up my data before playing pets and i did the usual restore of my data. so i thought everything would be fine. well i didnt lose any of my custom content and my custom people are still there, but neighborhoods 1, 2 and 3 are all gone plus my custom neighborhood. my custom houses are there in the house bin and all my other downloads are there too. but my neighborhoods are gone! i have tried all i can think of and nothing works. also, i started a new neighborhood to see if i would have any other problems and i do:

in create a sim, my sim is standing in the very back of the room and not on the rug, plus when you go to edit them and their facial features and all that other stuff, the camera takes you outside the building, and thus you are stuck viewing the trees and grass and stuff outside.

also i cannot place a driveway, the grid is two spaces away from my hand (the move objects hand) and the grid is slanted, while the red area that says you cant place stuff there, that spins in circles no matter which way i move the hand.

when trying to move objects or plants, the object is two grid spaces away from the hand.

my sim does not walk either, he teleports or jumps, to where you tell him to go.
the plumbob on his head glitches in and out every second

my sim wont call a service on the phone when asked or put stuff away, he glitches in and out, and jumps to somewhere else in the room and the action is cancelled

i told my sim to make the bed and instead i saw him glitch in and out and then the bed was automatically made two seconds later.

so far, those are the errors i have gotten. any suggestions?
i am thinking of uninstalling it all and then just putting my downloads back and my saved sims too... but i dont know if that will work, or cause more problems and a huge hassle.

i thought pets was supposed to be fixed by now!! this is soo frustrating!!

EDIT:i installed all my sims 2 games on my sisters computer, which is the exact same model i have, and its all there and its all fine. i did not install any patches and she has no custom content or downloads; so this leads me to believe its either my downloads or the patches. will check further and get back to everyone here.
Field Researcher
#120 Old 10th Mar 2007 at 7:57 PM
Operating system Windows Something-Or-Other. Maybe XP? Maybe whatever was right before that?

Computer specs Don't know.

Games All expansion packs, no patches.

Details of Neighbourhood loss The last time I played the game, I was playing in Riverblossom Hills. I exited the game directly from a house in that neighborhood. When I got back into the game, Riverblossom Hills was gone, but Florin, my custom neigborhood, was still there. R.H. was my only Maxis neighborhood, and now Florin is my only neighborhood period.

Neighbourhood File details None of the associated files seem to be gone.

Sim PE Investigation: I downloaded Sim PE a while back, but it was too confusing for me and I have't touched it since the day I downloaded it. :/

What changed on your system immediately before the corruption: I might have downloaded some clothes or objects from this site using QXpress, I don't remember. I didn't download any hacks or mods.

Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Could you also try this:
Go to My Documents/ EA Games/ The Sims2/ Neighbourhoods and cut and paste the neighbourhoodManager.package file to your desktop. Now go to Program files/ EA Games/ The Sims2/ TS Data/ Res/ User Data/ Neighbourhoods and copy the neighbourhoodmanager.package file- paste it into your Documents folder where your old neighbourhoodmanager file was. Does that make any difference?

I don't know what you mean when you say, "paste it into your Documents folder where your old neighbourhoodmanager file was." Does "your Documents folder" just mean the My Documents folder that's on the desktop? And I don't know anything about the old neighbourhoodmanager file, I didn't know there was one. And now I've made myself look incredibly stupid, but it'll be worth it if my game gets fixed...
Test Subject
#121 Old 13th Mar 2007 at 10:16 PM
Pleasantview disappeared on me!
I have all of the expansion pack and none of the stuff packs.
I made sure to check each of the packs to see which was causing the problems,
and it happened when I installed Pets.
Now the preview for Pleasantview is just a picture of the Driftwood terrain, and when you try to load the neighborhood, the game just crashes.
I installed Seasons recently to see if things would help, but it didn't.
All of my other neighborhoods work properly.

I even went to my Program Files to see if I could restore Pleasantview, but Pets doesn't have the file for Pleasantview like the other EP's do.

Oh, I use Windows XP, if that's any help, but I don't think that this is an issue with my computer.
Test Subject
#122 Old 15th Mar 2007 at 9:05 PM
I was playing the sims before and I shut off the game.
I actually shut off my whole entire computer... I didn't shut it off the correct way one is supposed to do it. Stupid me.

So then I restarted the game and when everything was done loading, I noticed all of my neighborhoods were gone except one of my neighborhoods which I had created on my own and this new neighborhood popped up called "Pets" which I had NOT created or ever seen before. And the description of the neighborhood was that it was a hidden neighborhood.

I use Windows XP
I have the Sims 2 Base games, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, and Pets expansion packs.
I have NOT downloaded anything recently. I think the last time I downloaded something was about two months ago.

Thanks for the help. =]
Test Subject
#123 Old 16th Mar 2007 at 3:44 AM Last edited by xerendipity : 16th Mar 2007 at 5:18 AM.
Default Recoup losses?
Hi all.

I too 'lost' the abilty to click on any neighborhoods within the game (I get only the option to create a new neighborhood -
nothing else) although my files are all still in the my docs ... sims2 folder. So, after exhausting everything I know to do, but
being too frustrated and lazy to reinstall, I have a question. Since I really don't care about the relationships any of my
sims have built (i can start over), but I do not want to lose my custom houses or sims themselves ... how can I save them?

In other words, let me explain. If you move the entire folder 'neighborhoods' from the
C:\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder and restart the game, the game itself will build you a new set of all folders, but
these are the default version. So, if I were to do this instead of reinstalling, how do I best go about getting my (old) lots and
sims back into the new, default game?

Thanks a million :lovestruc
Test Subject
#124 Old 23rd Mar 2007 at 8:58 PM
Operating system: WinXP Pro
Computer specs: Athalon XP 2200+ (1.8 GHz), 1.0 Gig RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro, over 9 Gig's of HDD space remaining
Games: All games/patches up to the sims2 pets, installed in order of release. (haven't gotten seasons yet)
Details of Neighbourhood loss: Last neighborhood played was Pleasantview. My girlfriend has a family there. I haven't played Strangetown in a week or so. That's where my family is. Now the Strangetown neighborhood is missing entirely, but both Pleasantview and Veronaville remain.
- No hacks used that would affect an entire neighborhood.
- Nothing has been edited/deleted recently.
- No problems with opening/closing/saving of the games at all.
Neighbourhood File details: All files are still there.
Sim PE Investigation: SimPE site is currently down, so I can't investigate this. (will update when it's working again)
What changed on your system immediately before the corruption: NONE
Any other relevant information: Nothing

- Tried the neighbourhoodManager.package copy/paste fix and it did not seem to change anything.

Any ideas what I can do to get my neighborhood working again? The files are still there... Does SimPE have a way to revive my neighborhood?
Test Subject
#125 Old 27th Mar 2007 at 9:44 AM
I noticed about a month ago that my neighbiurhoods have disappeared. All the Maxis created ones are gone and only my custom one is left. I didnt notice straigt away as I play my custom one the most and as its normally on the second screen of neighbourhoods I didnt realise. I have back ups but I am clueless as how to use them to get my neighbourhoods back, please can you help me

Operating system: XP Home edition
Computer specs: 3.00Ghz processor, 1022MB RAM, Nvadia G force 6800
Games: Sims 2, Nightlife, Uni, OFB, Glamour, Pets I have all the patches for these games (I only have the first pets patch I think they released another recently)
Details of Neighbourhood loss: I lost the three Maxis neighbourhoods Pleasantview, Strangetown and Veronaville my custom neighbourhood is still there.
I havent removed my downloads recently but I have the money transfer hack.
Neighbourhood File details:I can see the N001 - N004 folders and the files seem to be there the only difference when I went into the N001 and N004 folder was the N001 have a file called:N001_Neighborhood.reia, this is the same for N002 and N004 my custom neighbourhood does not have this file.
Sim PE Investigation: I have no idea what this is

Could you also try this:
Go to My Documents/ EA Games/ The Sims2/ Neighbourhoods and cut and paste the neighbourhoodManager.package file to your desktop. Now go to Program files/ EA Games/ The Sims2/ TS Data/ Res/ User Data/ Neighbourhoods and copy the neighbourhoodmanager.package file- paste it into your Documents folder where your old neighbourhoodmanager file was. Does that make any difference?
This I cant do as I cant find the TS Data folder at all!

That's what we are trying to find out from this thread- a common link so that we can figure out how to prevent/ solve this. Could you all try an experiment- cut and paste the neighbourhood manager file to the desktop from My Documents\ EA Games\ The Sims2\ neighbourhoods. This should force the game to regenerate this file. I'm wondering if it will make any difference?
This had no effect except my game loaded up faster but still the neighbourhoods are gone

Thanks
Page 5 of 28