Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#126 Old 7th May 2018 at 2:05 PM
That's an idea perhaps Jo and Loving Em could swap background program lists. I personally wondered if it was the amd overlay program but she got out of that.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#127 Old 7th May 2018 at 9:22 PM
I've done just about everything I can think of to get stuff running. Much of what has been stated here already actually. I've uninstalled and reinstalled on my different drives, uninstalled the current driver and found an old one from when I know the game was working just fine, nothing. I always turn off every background program running that I can (throw back habit from when I had it on a crap computer years ago) and that doesn't affect anything. And sims is the only game that's experiencing any trouble. I play DA:I, Skyrim and DA:O regularly and all three of those games I have modded pretty heavily. Now I don't know, and this would be something I could try and test, is if any of those games have more than 2gb worth of mods running. Skyrim would probably have the closest and I'll see if I can test that (though my skyrim has always been unstable at best, would be difficult to tell if it's related or just general skyrim tomfoolery).
I can't see why the amount of cc would tip it over the edge like that, but I'm glad you guys have been able to narrow it down to that being the issue.
There's been a lot of talk about recent windows updates screwing up things for people, but I've only seen it in regards to 10 (I run on 7), but is it possible that the combination of the windows update and card update did something? I've recently had a massive issue with my wacom tablet because of a windows update (and possibly the latest wacom update) that sent the wacom driver into a massive memory leak that crashed my computer hard, multiple times, before I rolled back the tablet driver and turned off bullshit the windows update added. I have no idea if any of that is related, but figured I'd throw it out there haha
Test Subject
#128 Old 7th May 2018 at 9:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
@Loving-Em I know! While I don't wish this on anyone, it's good to know I am not the only person with this issue since Googling hasn't got me anywhere. There was this one person on Tumblr with it, but they never replied back. Who on Leefish has it and did it start after a driver update?

I'm so sorry, totally forgot I was going to reply to this haha Got caught up in everything else! They're fireflyslocket over on leefish, and I'll direct them to this conversation as soon as I can get back on the site (not loading for me at the moment). I believe it was after a driver update for them as well, least it seems they started having issues the same time I did.
And seriously, sucks that we're all going through this, but it means we're not crazy xD
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#129 Old 7th May 2018 at 10:27 PM
I actually wondered if the driver update might have combined with a computer one. Jo doesn't update but it was a new computer and I am sure the guy who built it probably did update it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#130 Old 7th May 2018 at 11:09 PM
yes mine was brand new, got the computer late February and only played my 12 gig game maybe 2 times because at that time I was in my other Sims 2 folder building, and that folder has basically no cc. While I was building an AMD update showed up, which I ran. I did no window updates I don't think. I noticed on loading the game right after that my screen went grey and I had to reload my game which then seemed fine. ran and saved. Then next day when I reloaded was the day it gave me sims like houses on the ground.

Another interesting thing, back at the start I noticed in programs that Radeon had this problem wizard so I clicked on it hoping it would show what the issue was but instead of doing anything it promptly vanished. As in gone from the folder, gone from my computer. Also when I went to uninstall sims it would not uninstall from uninstalling a program or by going to the program folder and using that uninstaller, instead Gina and I had had to go through and manually uninstall from registry files.

Task manager before I turn anything off.
Screenshots

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#131 Old 8th May 2018 at 12:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
yes mine was brand new, got the computer late February and only played my 12 gig game maybe 2 times because at that time I was in my other Sims 2 folder building, and that folder has basically no cc. While I was building an AMD update showed up, which I ran. I did no window updates I don't think. I noticed on loading the game right after that my screen went grey and I had to reload my game which then seemed fine. ran and saved. Then next day when I reloaded was the day it gave me sims like houses on the ground.

Okay, so this is what I've found on my own computer. There was a windows update at the end of January, and two AMD updates in February, one on the 11th and one on the 21st. You said you started having issues after one of those updates at the end of Feb yeah? I honestly don't remember when I started having these issues, but it would have been sometime in late January/February. Though I was starting to notice weird things happen in November (though, that may have been just general hood issues, one of them is over 10 years old now). But I know for a fact I didn't start getting these crazy glitches and notice the saving crash till about February (I did find that one of my recent game backups happened the 12th of Feb, just after that AMD update. I imagine I started backing up stuff when I started having these problems).

Side note. Relive is a freakin menace. I finally just had to change the extensions cause even after *not* installing it after reinstalling the driver the overlay was still there. Lord.

And these are my tasks before I close down anything. Everything but what is necessary to keep stuff running I close down though before I start playing. I can share that version too if you guys want to see it.
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#132 Old 8th May 2018 at 1:38 AM
I got my computer in February, maybe on the 7th. There was one main update a short time after and later an optional update. I even made a restore point before that first one but come to roll back to it, it was nowhere to be found.

I don't have Relive installed. I've seen it on the card settings and left it alone.

I have found something that could be relevant, under gaming I only have 8 sims 2 icons showing when I have all Ep's and Sp's. Of the EP's missing is base game and apartment life. M&G is also missing and some other SP's.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#133 Old 8th May 2018 at 2:05 AM
That's so weird.... something really funky happened with these updates... And question, mostly 'cause I'm dense about these things and am probably missing something. If you don't have Relive installed how is the overlay still coming up in your task manager?
And that's really odd... about the missing games... I have ultimate collection installed (since many of my disks have been lost to the four winds being shared amongst people), so it just lists the one. But, maybe there's still an underlying issue there? Are all the aspects of those eps and packs in the game?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#134 Old 8th May 2018 at 4:33 AM
Umm... I don't know. I'm not at all techy. All I know is in my card settings I could tick it where it says install so I assumed it wasn't. Maybe it is installed anyway? :/

Especially since M&G isn't showing which acts like the last EP and SP. As far as I know, I haven't checked closely.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#135 Old 8th May 2018 at 9:46 AM
The AMD relive program was shown in my video. That even if you did NOT check the install button the program was still installed without your permission. I posted a link in the first post on how to disable it.

~Livestreams and Livesimming served up with a soupçon of silly and a whole lot of story.~

http://www.youtube.com/TheJessaChannel

Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#136 Old 8th May 2018 at 9:15 PM
yes you did! however I think what happened is, we had to reinstall older drivers, and I think what happened is we reinstalled it :/ because Jo said she followed the steps and got rid of it initially. But it showed up later, (and I am pretty sure it wasn't there for awhile, as I have seen her task manager reports several times now lol) Plus after talking to Tashiketh, we are going to try and do something, update ALL hardware on the computer. Starting with the motherboard's bios.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#137 Old 9th May 2018 at 12:06 AM
The tec guy will, not me for sure!

Also that bites! Installs without clicking it. <_<

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#138 Old 9th May 2018 at 8:37 PM
It has been awhile since my bios was updated I'm sure... Cool, I shall get on that haha

And seriously. I have no idea what AMD was thinking, doesn't sound like many people are happy with it...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#139 Old 9th May 2018 at 10:53 PM
As for AMD, I am done with them. As soon as I read what they had done with the card that I bought https://www.pcworld.com/article/324...ards-worse.html and that mine is probably one of those lemons.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#140 Old 10th May 2018 at 12:06 PM
A couple of months ago my game started crashing at the neighborhood loading screen but I didn't really have the time to play this game due to real life so I put off looking for fixes. Last week I gave it another shot and it still crashed, but yesterday I had a Windows update (Windows 10) and after that my game stopped crashing. Maybe worth a shot for anyone who has Windows 10 and can't get it to work?
Test Subject
#141 Old 10th May 2018 at 9:35 PM
Guys. The windows update actually did something for me too. Even being on 7. Now I've only tried it once today, I'll continue playing with it, but the game now goes through the entire save/loading process where it would once get stuck. It still gets stuck on the loading screen after the loading process (the columns light up then go away), and won't bring up the neighborhood from the lot, but that's not happened for me at any point with this particular amount of cc in. I'll test it out better later today and let you know how it goes.
Still doesn't completely solve the problem, but maybe a step in the right direction? Or at least may be helpful to someone who understands these things? Haha
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#142 Old 11th May 2018 at 9:14 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 12th May 2018 at 1:58 AM.
@Loving-Em Checked mine and it improved a little as well, I can now save with up around 4.77 Gigs but it still froze saved on my full 12 Gigs.

I noticed last night that my smooth edges are on but not on. UI transparency is on so it isn't that-no can never be something simple.
Screenshots

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#143 Old 13th May 2018 at 8:04 PM
I only have 2.7gb in my downloads, and it still won't fully load, and rolling back the card driver made the original problem come back, as well as updating it the the most recent update (which is just an optional update anyway, so I went back to what I'd had). It'll go through the full loading (but still doesn't get to neighborhood) though with the current card driver and the latest windows update, so I guess that's something.

Incredibly strange about that graphic thing... Ugh. Curiouser and curiouser.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#144 Old 14th May 2018 at 6:39 AM
I can get up to 4 Gigs now with everything that I have done, but I won't try anything anymore until I get my new Nvidea card.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#145 Old 14th May 2018 at 8:49 PM
Hello, everyone! I'm the other person who was having @Loving-Em's issue. I had just bought a new Windows 7 computer (this was in April), and I installed all my expansions and loaded my backups. The first thing I noticed was needing to fix the stuck 800x600 issue, and I had more trouble fixing it than I had on my last computer. Then, any time I tried to take a screenshot with the camera tool, the game would flicker and freeze. It also freaked out every time I tried to save or load back to the neighborhood. And I started seeing pile-ups of sim pictures next to houses like in @joandsarah77's first screenshot.

I searched frantically for a solution, but only found @Loving-Em's post on LeeFish. I noticed we had the same line of graphics card. Mine is a AMD Radeon R9 360. I remembered that I had gotten a graphics card driver update through a Dell installer a few days before when I was still setting my new computer up, so I rolled back my drivers. I also went back to my old computer and copied over the entire The Sims 2 folder from My Documents and the Graphics Rules file that had been working with that computer. (I am not sure if that second thing had anything to do with it, but it was part of what I did before I tried it again.) Once I did all of that, I was able to save, load back to neighborhood view or between hoods, and take pictures with the in-game camera. The graphical glitches around houses were gone and didn't come back. I have played the game successfully 5 times with only one crash (after playing for several hours). I also have noticed very few other issues. I'm nervous to say that it's all fixed, just in case. But it seems that way so far. The one thing I haven't tried yet is adding any new CC. I currently have 2.52GB of CC right now, including some mods. I did not try playing the game without it, because everything worked fine the last time I played it on my old computer, and it doesn't seem to be related to the way I experienced the glitch.

Please let me know if there's any info I could provide that might help. I'm not sure what exactly fixed it, or if it's fixed permanently, but I hope somehow we can all figure out the solution.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#146 Old 14th May 2018 at 10:35 PM
Would you be willing to ng to share your graphics rules @fireflys_locket
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#147 Old 14th May 2018 at 10:39 PM
We also suspect a Window update in April may also have something to do with the issue. Can you pinpoint when in April?

So Win 7, April update and you also have a Radeon card, this is becoming some kind of pattern. We are starting to think its a Window update or a Radeon update or a combination of the two.

I'm so glad you got yours fixed and wish I could still do that. I gave my old computer to my daughter so all my data has gone. :/

2.52 is very low though. From all the things I have done including moving my documents to D drive, reinstalling the full game, uninstalling and reinstalling the original drivers and tons of other small things I managed to go from about 2 1/2 to 4 1/4 gigs, but seeing I have 12 Gigs I am a long way from being fixed. It's possible you are not really fixed and the issue might come back if you add more CC, but if you don't need more than that was an effective fix for you.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#148 Old 15th May 2018 at 6:55 AM
Would you like me to upload the Graphics Rules file somewhere or just copy and paste certain sections here, @gdayars?

Well, I think I first tried playing the game on April 20th. So, maybe a few days before that? It is possible that adding enough CC could make the problem resurface for me. And I definitely have a lot of CC I would like to add to the game eventually. (I only add a handful of new items at a time.) I just assumed it was unrelated since the issue was there but went away without CC removal. But that's part of why I wouldn't want to declare this issue fixed for sure. I'm sorry that you guys are still struggling, but I hope we can find an answer!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#149 Old 15th May 2018 at 7:30 AM
This issue is related to the amount of CC and the game straining to save with it in. I can load my game and play it with 12 gigs but I can't save it. Starting with no cc it saves easily but as it gets more CC (and I tried adding it in slowly about 200-500mb at a time) I see it straining more, the save becomes slower and it does a small blue thinking swirl and there might be a tiny jump as it saves. At 4.77 Gigs it got too much for it again and I had corrupted sims again. I don't know if you tested Body Shop, but I did and found it more sensitive then the game, with all the buttons going non-responsive or no sims showing up not even the Maxis one.

So you know, I am on windows 7, a brand new computer, I had a 500 PSU swapped for a 750, a Radeon card (never again) And it started this sometime during April. I think that holds true for Loving-Em as well.
The only reason I can't pinpoint which update did this as I was building in my cc free building folder rather than playing my CC heavy folder at the time it happened. If we can pinpoint it to something I will be complaining to AMD, Microsoft or both of them. When I am not building I pretty much load my CC game daily.

~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#150 Old 15th May 2018 at 12:38 PM
Just to check, do you all have the latest graphics drivers? AMD released a new set at the end of April specifically because of the Win 10 updates.
Page 6 of 15