Replies: 64 (Who?), Viewed: 2340 times.
Page 3 of 3
Field Researcher
#51 Old 10th Jul 2021 at 9:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95
My personal favorite is seeing someone get told "No, YOU'RE wrong." and getting asked "How could you possibly know more than people who make the game?"

There's also a sizable amount of people over at the OF who apparently consider mods "cheating" and so they don't play with them. Wut?

For me it is: if there wasn't any mods to download I probably wouldn't have played the game. Mods do it all

"If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!" - Mae West
Instructor
#52 Old 10th Jul 2021 at 1:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge Jones
Yes. Obviously it's wise to choose where to post based on the type of replies you prefer Can I steer you to the EA official Sims forums?


It's clear the Debbie Downers have taken over the threads here. Did it start like that or are you attempting to cancel others out? You all depend on EA/Maxis after all.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 10th Jul 2021 at 3:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamishmc
It's clear the Debbie Downers have taken over the threads here. Did it start like that or are you attempting to cancel others out? You all depend on EA/Maxis after all.


I assume you mean we wouldn't have a forum if EA/Maxis hadn't made The Sims. OK. We wouldn't have ModTheSims site if EA/Maxis hadn't made The Sims.

So - EA/Maxis made The Sims, and it's here we talk about it. We all have free will. We don't have to like the game just because EA/Maxis made it and we got a Forum to talk about it. We don't have to praise Llamas and dust bunnies just because EA/Maxis made a game and we got a Forum to talk about it. Indeed, a person does not have to drive a Chevy just because GM made it. But if they do, they don't have to like it, and do have the right to complain if they don't without having to be called some kind of name because of it.

If you like The Sims 4, great. If you like Cottage Living, great. I don't have to like neither if I don't want. And just because I criticize them don't not mean I have to be some kind of Debbie Downer (whatever the f**k that means) any more than you have to be some kind of holy roller for EA/Maxis just because you do.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. - Albert Einstein
Forum Resident
#54 Old 10th Jul 2021 at 3:55 PM Last edited by Jathom95 : 11th Jul 2021 at 1:42 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamishmc
It's clear the Debbie Downers have taken over the threads here. Did it start like that or are you attempting to cancel others out? You all depend on EA/Maxis after all.


I depend on nothing from EA. What kind of statement is that? We're not talking about water supply for a third world country. It's a game. And if TS5 ends up like TS4, guess what? That still doesn't mean I have to buy it.

Everyone that posts in these types of threads has backed up their points with solid reasoning. Nobody here has ever "canceled" anyone out for difference of opinion. I always make a point of saying I'll never put anyone down for enjoying the game. If they like it and get enjoyment out of it, fine.

But the way the OP came in here and started calling everyone who didn't agree with his initial question a "Debbie Downer" and the way you're backing it up shows a distinct lack of being able to handle criticism. If you equate every difference of opinion different to yours in life as someone being a Debbie Downer just for not being overwhelmingly and sickeningly positive about something, then why acknowledge it in the first place?

Inge mentioned the OF because it's literally an echo chamber where nobody says anything remotely critical of the game at all. If you don't like the real opinions being shared here and would rather have blind approval, post there. Simple.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
#55 Old 10th Jul 2021 at 3:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamishmc
It's clear the Debbie Downers have taken over the threads here. Did it start like that or are you attempting to cancel others out? You all depend on EA/Maxis after all.


I cancel people by clicking the ignore button. I've been doing it since I started posting on MTS, it is very effective.

How exactly does "you all" depend on EA? They don't pay my bills, take care of my property, do my shopping, clean my house or anything else for that matter. If the sims franchise disappeared tomorrow, people would still make mods and have things they want to talk about. The amount of time between the time I play my game and when I don't, continues to grow. I don't lose sleep if I don't open my game for months at a time. My sims will be there whenever I'm ready to deal with them.

I don't play / buy TS4 stuff, so again, where is this dependency issue? Or is this another one of those projection things?
Mad Poster
#56 Old 10th Jul 2021 at 5:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamishmc
It's clear the Debbie Downers have taken over the threads here. Did it start like that or are you attempting to cancel others out? You all depend on EA/Maxis after all.


...This was sarcasm right?

The Receptacle still lives!
Instructor
#57 Old 10th Jul 2021 at 7:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
I cancel people by clicking the ignore button. I've been doing it since I started posting on MTS, it is very effective.

How exactly does "you all" depend on EA? They don't pay my bills, take care of my property, do my shopping, clean my house or anything else for that matter. If the sims franchise disappeared tomorrow, people would still make mods and have things they want to talk about. The amount of time between the time I play my game and when I don't, continues to grow. I don't lose sleep if I don't open my game for months at a time. My sims will be there whenever I'm ready to deal with them.

I don't play / buy TS4 stuff, so again, where is this dependency issue? Or is this another one of those projection things?


So what are you doing here in the Sims 4 threads?
Forum Resident
#58 Old 10th Jul 2021 at 7:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamishmc
So what are you doing here in the Sims 4 threads?


What exactly is your problem? Just because some of us might enjoy other Sims games more doesn't mean we can't care about this franchise or the direction it's heading. You getting so triggered about anyone saying anything remotely critical about TS4 says more about you than it does any of the rest of us.

We frequent these boards because we like to have civil discussion about it regardless. And just because we can. If you can't handle someone thinking differently than you about a game, that's completely on you. Grow up, seriously.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
#59 Old 10th Jul 2021 at 7:45 PM
When all else fails, don't answer the question, just dodge with another question.

I've been discussing TS4 since before it was released, I'm not going away because of ridiculous things like being told that I and anybody else for that matter that has anything critical to say about TS4 is somehow 'dependent' on EA. Because that makes sense, NOPE!
Test Subject
#60 Old 11th Jul 2021 at 6:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamishmc
It's clear the Debbie Downers have taken over the threads here. Did it start like that or are you attempting to cancel others out? You all depend on EA/Maxis after all.

Eh... I think Mod The Sims and basically any modder site/user knows how lacking The Sims actually is. As do longtime players. If it weren't for mods, the game would feel as in-depth as a mobile game. It also just feels icky when players make these amazing QoL features or even bug fixes FOR FREE... And EA still does the bare minimum while getting paid lots. They do OK. The game is OK. But any company that actually cared about their game would aim higher than "just OK" lol. EA is able to do this because The Sims has no competition, so OK is all they need to aim for since they are all out of forks to give.

Though some features in The Sims 4 are improvements that focus on allowing functional creativity at the cost of actually seeming like a modern day game. I assume if they did have proper competition we'd get functional creativity AND polish. But why polish when the customers have no other options besides take it as is or leave it and get no other equivalent entertainment... Which of course rubs most consciousness players the wrong way. Kinda similar to the Pokemon video games. "We don't 100% like them, but we'll take 'em because something is better than nothing."
Mad Poster
#61 Old 11th Jul 2021 at 3:27 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 11th Jul 2021 at 4:21 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorbs_Lil_Puddin

Though some features in The Sims 4 are improvements that focus on allowing functional creativity at the cost of actually seeming like a modern day game. I assume if they did have proper competition we'd get functional creativity AND polish. But why polish when the customers have no other options besides take it as is or leave it and get no other equivalent entertainment... Which of course rubs most consciousness players the wrong way. Kinda similar to the Pokemon video games. "We don't 100% like them, but we'll take 'em because something is better than nothing."


Nobody knows if EA would clean up their act if Sims had proper competition or not. EA's long standing record is that if another company makes a game better, they reduce their version of said game to mobile game and if that fails, they dump it entirely. Need for Speed is a perfect example of this. Games similar to Need for Speed are a dime a dozen. People don't need to drain their wallet on microtransactions to play one. There is Sims Mobile, but that is only because there are many people that are willing to shovel tons of cash into it. A single 'event' is Sims Mobile can cost upwards and beyond $80.00.

That being said, everybody has their own threshold in which they will 'settle' for things. I've personally recently have had 2 experiences of settling and or almost settling. The settling situation was changed simply by not dealing with the company (Amazon) that was giving me a headache on a regular basis. The other is still nagging me about signing a contract that I canceled within the contract's 3 day grace period. There was sketchy things surrounding the contract itself and how the business was trying to do business with me. Since canceling, over a week and half ago, I'm still getting emails every day 'reminding me' to sign said contract. It goes without saying that when I do finally decide to have said work done, I won't be going with that company. They refuse to take "No" as a answer.

I'm not willing to settle / reward EA with my money. They have poisoned the Sims franchise well with their antics surrounding TS4 so many times, I'm not sure if it can be repaired.

For the first time since I can't remember, they've managed to keep their politics out of a pack for a change. While that is nice, I'm not holding my breath that this is a new trend because in other ways, it is business as usual such as the endless recycling of content and calling it new game play. There is nothing in or about TS4 that compels me to drop almost a $1,000.00 into this game. I'm not a builder and I find no joy in spending countless hours making pixel dollies.

Game play, what game play? It's broken, all over the place. It is also a bit suspect that this recent live stream was spent cheating to show off the bits and pieces of what they wanted people to see instead of allowing more time to show actual game play. Game changer content being pushed back 30 minutes to a hour wouldn't have made a difference in terms of views. It is almost as if somebody spent the time reading all the stuff that was discussed about the last live stream where there were bugs on full display all over the place for the Dream Home Decorator pack. As usual, only time will tell if what I'm currently running up the flag pole sticks or not.

EA / Maxis has made no effort to make peace with the sims community and or own all of the strife they've caused. Because TS4 panders to tweens and teens, they never will. They will continue to push content out the door that is bug-ridden and disconnected or feels like mini games in themselves, just as people will continue to ask me what I post in TS4 threads. Never mind the fact that said discussion has happened what feels like a million times already over the past what will be 7 years in September.
Mad Poster
#62 Old 11th Jul 2021 at 9:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamishmc
You all depend on EA/Maxis after all.

If Maxis/EA goes out of business with The Sims, i.e the Sims franchises dies here and now, stop supporting it or whatever - modders and game reservers will jump in to ressurrect and modify. Much like with SimCity, it still receives criticism. So no, we no longer do depend on EA/Maxis, nor I personally financially contributed to their latest installment/sequal game. People can now legally download TS2 Ultimate Collection and TS1 Complete Collection EA dropped support on these games. So yeah... nobody's really depended on them anymore.

Also, modders like that one I forgot the name made its own version of the farming pack, the same guy that manage to include a new downloadable world thats a OPEN WORLD. So yeah, I don't think we no longer need maxis

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Top Secret Researcher
#63 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 6:27 PM
My belief is that if they got serious competition for the Sims, they would not get their act together, but kill the series. That's EA's general pattern, and certainly what Maxis did when Cities: Skylines showed that Sim City was no longer the gold standard of city builders.
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 13th Jul 2021 at 2:38 PM
Apple has lots of competition. It has lots of different products. But its phone is what everyone goes for the most. A lot of its reputation is built upon it. EA's reputation is not built upon The Sims, hence it would not really matter if Paralives or any other came up with a game to challenge The Sims. But EA is not like Apple. Apple cares about all its products - despite if they're popular or not. EA doesn't seem to care much about any of theirs. Makes no sense to me.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. - Albert Einstein
Forum Resident
#65 Old 14th Jul 2021 at 10:34 PM
I am ABSOLUTELY looking forward to a cottages expansion pack as advertised. Beyond thrilled... It looks amazing!!!! ZOMG. However, I am EXPECTING a barn rabbithole with a llama Statue and 2 chairs.

When an engineer says that something can't be done, it's a code phrase that means it's not fun to do.
Page 3 of 3
Back to top