Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Dec 2022 at 10:40 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Cannot load or create new saves
I attached my system specs as a text file. Forgive me if that's not how this is supposed to be done, this is my first time posting here. I also have every expansion pack and stuff pack.

I was playing Sims 3 on Windows 11 and started encountering the infamous Save Error 16 when trying to save. I had a feeling this wasn't going to be fixed any time soon, so I decided to downgrade to Windows 10. Unfortunately the 10 day grace period had passed so I did a fresh installation. I'm not sure if that's relevant but I figured I'd include it just in case.

I brought up a save and started playing it. Things worked fine for a while, but soon I got error 16 again. I closed the game and deleted the .bad files, then loaded the game up again and went to resume my save file, but when I tried to load it it gave me this message: "A serious error has occurred while loading SaveGame.save. It is strongly recommended that you restart the application." Trying to start a new game got me the same message.

I've now uninstalled and reinstalled the game several times, and every time the same thing happens:

On the initial launch, everything works as it should. I can start a new game, I can save, everything's normal. If I try to load an old save at this point, however, after loading it gives me the "serious error" message.

On the next launch, the launcher does the glitch where it unchecks all of your expansions and stuff packs so you have to close the launcher and reopen it to be able to use those packs. Whether I fix the glitch or not (via re-checking and re-launching) doesn't seem to change anything. Again, I don't know if this is relevant, but it's just weird that it happens EVERY time.

Then when I start the game again, I can't create or load any new saves. When I try, the loading bar fills instantly and I get the "serious error" message again. (Not sure if it'll help, but I want to note that trying to load a save on the initial launch takes longer despite giving the same error.)

I eventually started just renaming the Sims 3 folder since that had the same effect.

Having the Sims 3 folder open doesn't seem to effect anything. Nothing else I've done helps.

I really like this game, and my impulsive re-install of Windows 10 ended up with me losing years worth of screenshots and videos because I forgot to back them up, so it REALLY sucks that the one thing I did all that for doesn't even work. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  DxDiag.txt (131.9 KB, 7 downloads)
Advertisement
Instructor
#3 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 3:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
It's just a mess and why I stayed with 7.

me too

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Forum Resident
#4 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 2:21 PM
Quote:
Right click on Sims 3 and go to properties and play with the compatibility.

This does seem to work a bit better. I run Win 8. Or could just be my imagination? Or the vodka???
Field Researcher
#5 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 3:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by legacyoffailures
me too

I can't vouch for Windows 11, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with Windows 10. I've had it for years now. IMO, you should upgrade at some point if you're using it regularly for internet browsing (as opposed to offline), because of all the security issues that come with having an outdated system.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 3:09 PM
I'm not sure that the operating system has anything to do with it? The game worked just fine on 10 before I upgraded to 11, it's only now that I went back that I'm experiencing this problem.

I tried compatibility mode anyway but nothing changed. I uninstalled Onedrive already, so no need to do anything more there.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 3:46 PM
I've been playing with Windows 10 for years now. No need for compatibility mode.

This thread on NRAAS mentions that the latest update for Windows 11 might have fixed the Error 16 issue. Anoher person found that making the Featured Items folder readable again has helped too.
https://www.nraas.net/community/chatterbox/topic11618

With all the installing and uninstalling you've been doing, make sure to clean the Registry before you reinstall Sims3 again. The free version of CCleaner will do for that.
A simple uninstall often seems to keep traces and retains whatever was going wrong in the first place.
For the future, instead of uninstalling the game, just remove the Gamefolder in 'Documents' and have the game create a new one for testing purposes. Uninstalling is rarely necessary. I know, very annoying advice after all that.
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/...p?topic=31753.0
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 4:50 PM
Yeah, I read that thread just today. Made me feel REAL dumb :')

I'm bummed out. I REALLY thought using CCleaner would work, but nope, nothing changed.

I've been moving the folder rather than reinstalling for a while now.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 15th Dec 2022 at 12:49 AM
You mentioned:
On the next launch, the launcher does the glitch where it unchecks all of your expansions and stuff packs so you have to close the launcher and reopen it to be able to use those packs. Whether I fix the glitch or not (via re-checking and re-launching) doesn't seem to change anything. Again, I don't know if this is relevant, but it's just weird that it happens EVERY time.

I wonder if you have updated from Origin to the new EA app manager? Might that be the problem? I heard it's been giving people problems.

The issues with the launcher unchecking expansions appears to happen a lot. I don't know if it's also happening with the new EA app manager.

Have you checked if your mods are 1.69 compatible? Are you using the recent 2.1 or 2.0 update to the Smooth Patch? That also seems to give some people issues.

I know little about graphics cards but your DxDiag says for your graphics card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics. Is that an internal one? Did you make sure the graphcis card is recognized? Did you check in your Device Config file in the Sims3 folder?

I'm sorry I can't be of better help. I'm on the original disc install, so I don't have a lot of ideas when it comes to Origin installs.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Dec 2022 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
You mentioned:

I wonder if you have updated from Origin to the new EA app manager? Might that be the problem? I heard it's been giving people problems.

The issues with the launcher unchecking expansions appears to happen a lot. I don't know if it's also happening with the new EA app manager.

Have you checked if your mods are 1.69 compatible? Are you using the recent 2.1 or 2.0 update to the Smooth Patch? That also seems to give some people issues.

I know little about graphics cards but your DxDiag says for your graphics card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics. Is that an internal one? Did you make sure the graphcis card is recognized? Did you check in your Device Config file in the Sims3 folder?

I'm sorry I can't be of better help. I'm on the original disc install, so I don't have a lot of ideas when it comes to Origin installs.

You're fine! Thank you for trying, I really appreciate it.

I actually fixed it myself just now with the help of someone on another forum. I'll list my solution here in case someone else has this problem:

Turns out the permissions on the Electronic Arts folder were messed up. I deleted that folder and let the game make a new one, and now my game works! Here's hoping it stays that way!