Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 5:24 AM
Default Silly question about backing up neighborhoods...
I feel stupid for asking this, but for as much as I hear about 'backing up your neighborhood', I rarely see directions on how to properly do it and how then to reinstate your backup. Needless to say I've messed up my previous game, and I have two 'backups'. One I did just by copying ans pasting the contents of N001 into a new folder (seemed logical) and the other was performed by, SimEnhancer I believe was the program. Well now whenever I rename them N001 or copy their files over, I just get empty neighborhoods. So obviously, I'm not doing something right. I checked a few FAQS, but all I saw was 'make sure you backup your neighborhood before...' yada yada yada.

Anyhow, any help would be appreciated. Thank you,
--KEvin
Advertisement
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 8:06 AM
"Backing up your neighborhoods" means...

To take your Neighborhoods folder in My Documents / EA Games / The Sims 2 / Neighborhoods and copying it to your desktop or to another place on your hard drive or even burning it to CD or an external hard drive. That is always the safest way and that is always how I back up my files. Actually, I farther than that and back up the entire The Sims 2 directory. Make sure it's not the one in Program Files because that one is useless.

I'm sure other people may have suggestions. I just grab the entire thing because I don't want to leave anything behind.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 8:10 AM
Kevin,

I'm not sure how you would go about fixing your current problem, since I have never attempted backing neighborhoods up that way. I have heard of the "empty neighborhood" problem, and it seems to occur when you backup only a single neighborhood or the neighborhood folder. There may be some file outside of that and you've missed it.

I don't think you are supposed to rename neigborhood folders. There are a lot of files in there that all carry the neighborhood number. Renaming the folder could screw all of that up.

There is really only one way to be 100% sure that you will have a working backup. You should make a copy of the entire The Sims 2 folder, except for the folders Downloads and SavedSims. Doing this will ensure that you've got all files that are needed to run the game.

My procedure is as follows:

Create a folder called Sims 2 backup [DATE] on the desktop. Select and copy all folders in the The Sims 2 folder, except Downloads and SavedSims. Paste them into the new folder. Takes less than a minute.

Supposedly there is some correct way of backing up just a neighborhood. But I've heard enough stories like yours to put me off trying to do it that way.
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 8:33 AM
I used the technique posted here on one of these boards about getting a clean neighborhood install without the reinstallation of the game, and I used that to find the problem Download files. Alas, I've yet to figure out the neighborhood thing. The good news, this does allow me to clear out my beginning to clutter Pleasentview, and also to make my Old sims with some of the new genetics I've found. I guess I just assumed all that was necessary was the Neighborhood files, but seeing the Saved Sims and Lot Collection folders now, I am sure I went about it incorrectly. Thank you for the help however. And let my mistakes me a lesson for us all *grin*

-KEvin
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#5 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 9:39 AM
Hi!

Go here:

http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=46152

I just wrote this for the MTL prompted by your question =) Its the method I use and I am an anal retentive omg-Im-gonna-die-if-I-lose-something type player person :D

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D