Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 7:38 PM Last edited by FoxTail8000 : 15th Nov 2014 at 7:53 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 Main game crashes with d3derr_invalidcall error on GTX 980
I'm aware this error (direct3d returned an error d3derr_invalidcall) has been reported on BodyShop several times. The strange thing is I'm able to launch BodyShop but not the Main Sims 2 game.

I'm also aware the GTX 900 series came out only 2 months ago as of the time I'm posting this so that maybe my issue here.

What happens?
The Sims 2 loads half way in the main loading screen and then outputs an error "Direct3D returned an error: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL! The application will now terminate."

I've tried:
  • Adding the graphics card to the "Video Cards.sgr" list (0x13C0 "GeForce GTX 980")
  • Removing all custom content in the Downloads folder.
  • Updating DirectX

The version of The Sims 2 I have is the Ultimate Collection.

Here's a list of hardware/Software specifications if it helps:
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.1GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Driver version 344.48)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 @1600MHz

Note: I was able to run the Sims 2 when I had the EVGA GeForce 660 Ti

Thank you for your time and your help will be appreciated!
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 8:56 PM Last edited by FoxTail8000 : 15th Nov 2014 at 9:17 PM.
Okay so I believe this a driver related issue. I'll have to wait until Nvidia releases a new standard driver for the GTX 980 than a "Game Ready" driver. Game Ready drivers only optimize specific video games rather updating the whole driver software.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 8:02 AM
I'm having the same issue as well. I have a GTX 750 with nVidia driver version 344.75. Try rolling back your drivers?

The Sims Forever
Field Researcher
#4 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 2:50 PM
Read this post http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...:Graphics_Cards and notice:
"Also, try deleting My documents/ EA Games/ The Sims2/ Config/ userprops.xml. This contains details about your previous graphics settings and will be refreshed by the game when you next run it"

Sometimes deleting userprops.xml helps to solve DirectX-problems.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 22nd Dec 2014 at 6:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by clsve
Read this post http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...:Graphics_Cards and notice:
"Also, try deleting My documents/ EA Games/ The Sims2/ Config/ userprops.xml. This contains details about your previous graphics settings and will be refreshed by the game when you next run it"

It actually worked! Thank you so much!

The Sims Forever
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Dec 2014 at 5:21 AM

I can also confirm that this method of deleting userprops.xml solved my issue! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Instructor
#7 Old 10th Feb 2015 at 1:53 PM

I know this thread is a bit old now, but I just want to add that deleting userprops.xml worked for me too, I recently got the GTX 980 and had issues launching the game.

Find me on YouTube!
Flabaliki - General gaming
TheSimSupply - Videos all about The Sims!
Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#8 Old 9th Apr 2015 at 6:28 AM
Deleting userProps.xml worked for me too BUT it also caused all my Maxis made 'hoods to revert to their default fresh-out-of-the-box states.

Lesson learned: backup your Neighborhoods folder before deleting UserProps.xml so you can restore it if this happens.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 5th May 2015 at 9:44 PM Last edited by eliset : 6th May 2015 at 11:40 AM.
I want to thank you so much for this thread. I just installed a new graphics card (along with extra RAM), finished running diagnostics today, and the first time I loaded the game, bam, down it went. Direct3d error. I was horrified. Searching for help, I found this thread, deleted the userprops.xml file, and the game loaded. Things that also happened: the default hoods reverted as noted above by fanseelamb. The camera mod had to be reloaded. The game resolution had to be reset although the changes I made in the graphics.sgr file weren't altered, of course. The cc loading settings had to be reset (catalog loads). All the game graphic settings (smooth edges, shadows, etc) had to be reset. The game started the helpful tips all over again. It's easy to fix these things, though. Thank you!!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 5th May 2015 at 10:15 PM
Sounds like the process deletes certain folders in My Documents and copies new ones from the game files.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 7:52 PM
Should I delete userprops everytime before I launch my game?
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 9:13 PM
No.

Only if you're having problems like what they've mentioned above.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Test Subject
#13 Old 17th Dec 2019 at 6:14 PM
I know it has been 4 years but THANK YOU! I had to finally upgrade to Windows 10 and couldn't get my backup game to work (the new install worked fine, but once I copied over my backup game files I got this error) - so this fix STILL WORKS and means I can use my new computer - I even created an account on here just to thank you!!
Test Subject
#14 Old 27th Aug 2020 at 2:27 AM
After 5 years this post saved my life! Thank you I wasted hours searching the solution
Test Subject
#15 Old 17th Jan 2021 at 8:10 AM
greetings from 2021! thanks big time for this thread! i upgraded to a geeforce gt 1030 and got this error. my neighborhood is also quite safe, so even better! cheers!
Test Subject
#16 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 1:40 PM
I just got the same problem. Deleting userprops.xml does make the game run BUT custom content won't load and most importantly my universities are completely empty. I lose all progress there, although all my families are were they are supposed to be in normal neighborhoods (though I only checked Pleasantview tbh).
So what is the fix? I tried restarting the game several times but the households in the universities don't appear. I mean even the game's households are gone!
I'm pretty sure this is caused by the GeForce Game Ready driver that I upgraded a couple of days ago but I don't know what to do...
Any help will be much appreciated.
Test Subject
#17 Old 13th Mar 2024 at 10:16 AM
Coming here to say that if you're like me had this error using Wine, through Heroic, Lutris or otherwise, I did too, and I managed to solve it disabling Esync and Fsync, as well as enabling DXVK and D3D Extras.
I hope it helps Linux sims2 players