Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#25251 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
That's the behaviour I thought should be happening. I suppose I must have a mod conflict or something. Question is, is it worth looking for? Hmm. Thanks for your confirmation!
There are some other versions floating around where subsets were changed, and I think repo'd to other things.  There are also defaults out there, that may have had the animations borked.  The creators may not have changed the name of the file to indicate it's anything other than mine.  Make sure you have my originals downloaded from MTS, as mine do animate.  Also, if you open the file and choose the GMDC, click the preview button and it will show on the right the joints in the mesh.  Click thru them to see that the curtain is assigned to one.  Then you'll know if it's that package or if you have another that may be edited and overriding it.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#25252 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
But we both like the Iwatobi Swim Club. And I think we have a similar taste in hair. Inspired by your recent WCIF, I downloaded all the Ren (Louis) hairs (both male and female) here on MTS. Here are some randomly generated Sims with those hairs in CAS:

Greetings from all my Sims to all of yours!

P.S. And my Sims live the sort of lives that I wish I could live, :lovestruc

I spent some time just looking at the shininess of that hair and thinking how different it must look now you have a new computer.

Apart from hair I am equally as bad at letting my sims (and pets) die as you are. XD I keep meaning to do generational stuff, but I don't wanna lose the sims I have now!
Alchemist
#25253 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 7:31 PM
I'm renovating some of the occupied Pleasantview lots (the Pleasant's and Goth's houses), and I hope to share them (eventually...), but I'm not sure how to go about it. Is it enough to move the sims out? Or should I move the sims out, clean the lot, and then work on the clean copy? Or should I recreate the houses from scratch?

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Alchemist
#25254 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
There are some other versions floating around where subsets were changed, and I think repo'd to other things.  There are also defaults out there, that may have had the animations borked.  The creators may not have changed the name of the file to indicate it's anything other than mine.  Make sure you have my originals downloaded from MTS, as mine do animate.  Also, if you open the file and choose the GMDC, click the preview button and it will show on the right the joints in the mesh.  Click thru them to see that the curtain is assigned to one.  Then you'll know if it's that package or if you have another that may be edited and overriding it.

Thanks, HL, your comment made me realize it isn't your original I currently have, so I went and checked.
I'm actually using Hkaw's version slaved to the Jonesi blanket.
I'll check if they are still active on Sims2Artists. Or maybe I can fix it myself if I poke about in SimPE? Anyway, S2A first.

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Field Researcher
#25255 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 8:26 PM
Ho do i add Maxis PT, Santa, Baby New year and so on to my clean hoods?

Have you ever walked into a room & forgot why you went in there?
What if God is playing The Sims & he just cancelled your action.
Adopt-a-Sim My Creations My Tumblr
Alchemist
#25256 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peace
Ho do i add Maxis PT, Santa, Baby New year and so on to my clean hoods?

They are generated automatically, even if you start with a clean game environment. You'll start with 3, then end up with 21 Universals you can see in SimPE.

Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
I'm renovating some of the occupied Pleasantview lots (the Pleasant's and Goth's houses), and I hope to share them (eventually...), but I'm not sure how to go about it. Is it enough to move the sims out? Or should I move the sims out, clean the lot, and then work on the clean copy? Or should I recreate the houses from scratch?

You could save some work and start with the lots in Jawusa's clean and empty PV.
Lab Assistant
#25257 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 10:27 PM
How many lots is too much for a hood? It probably depends on the computer specs, but has anyone noticed significant problems above a specific number in their games?
Field Researcher
#25258 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 10:39 PM
Is it possible to make the Plantsims have plant abilities and Plant Defenses?

Prince Avalanche
Mad Poster
#25259 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 10:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
If icons or bits of the UI are too small to see, I suggest temporarily changing to a smaller screen size in Graphics/Performance Options. Change back to your normal screen size when you're ready to start playing again.

Sorry, I don't understand. I DO see the icons when I go to C-drive and look at all the EPs - but they are still pretty small, & I need to PRINT them so I can see them along-side the downloaded hairs.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#25260 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 10:44 PM Last edited by grammapat : 23rd Oct 2020 at 11:01 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
grammapat, if it helps, here are the icons with the packs they belong to (minus the ones I'm not sure have clothes or hair, and the Xmas packs because they don't have icons). Maybe it's easier to spot them. https://simfileshare.net/download/2121044/

The default page can be helpful. It has the names of all the defaults, along with pictures and icons (it's where I found the pics I used) - https://sims2defaults.dreamwidth.org/

That second link is where I found the 2 hair defaults I'm testing; yes, it has icons, but they are still pretty small, and they are not identified (which ep/sp goes with each icon?) I downloaded your other link to see what's in it.
====
and Clashfan: will try your advice, would make identifying the pack they came from unnecessary.

Now I think what I want to do is start with Maxis hair, and then download SPECIFIC default replacement hairs (assuming I can find the "matching" default hair). I especially want to replace all those ape and helmet "hair"; hay, costume heads are NOT HAIR!

Mad Poster
#25261 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 2:03 AM Last edited by RoxEllen1965 : 24th Oct 2020 at 2:25 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Sorry, I don't understand. I DO see the icons when I go to C-drive and look at all the EPs - but they are still pretty small, & I need to PRINT them so I can see them along-side the downloaded hairs.

Try the images in the .zip file that I attached to the bottom of this post. The .png image files should be much larger and clearer. I copied these icons from The Sims Wiki. The only icon that isn't in here is the one for EA's Sims 2 Store Stuff. Many thanks to whoever made these images and gave them sensible and useful file names.

Quote: Originally posted by Clashfan
I've just discovered a hidden cache of Prima guides on my computer. I didn't realize I had saved all of them. I did read a couple of things I didn't know was possible and both are lightning-related.

The first is if a sim is hit by lightning while swimming it will cause a chain reaction and carry to everyone in the pool. Is that true? I've never seen a sim hit while swimming at all. I assumed it was possible but again I've never seen it.

The second is that the lightning rod works if placed on a roof. I've always thought it had to be placed on the ground and it was nothing but decoration if actually on the roof. I know I got that info years ago and have since always put it on the ground. Anyone know if it does work if it's on the roof?

Keep in mind that the Prima Guides are notorious for being inaccurate. Maxis often made changes to the game and its packs during production and Prima did not have time to correct the books before publication.

I've never heard of a sim being hit by lightning while swimming, much less experiencing a chain reaction effect. This may be a feature that Maxis intended to put in the game, but never got around to it or couldn't make it work properly.

Lightning rods will only work if placed on a flat surface such as the ground or a flat "roof" like the ones on the Pleasantview condos. Placing a lightning rod on an ordinary roof (the kind that uses the roof tool) will make the lightning rod a useless decorative object. There are varying opinions as to why this works this way. My guess is that "working" objects placed on a roof would cause problems. For example, if the roof decorations were functional sculptures, sims might try to autonomously view them and cause constant routing errors. I don't know why Maxis couldn't make an exception for the lightning rods. Maybe a modder could look into this and see if it's possible to fix them.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Sims2_Pack_Icons.zip (31.5 KB, 1 downloads)
Description: Icons for Sims 2 game and content packs
Mad Poster
#25262 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 2:24 AM
Roxellen: thanks

Mad Poster
#25263 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 2:26 AM
You're welcome. I hope they're helpful.
Scholar
#25264 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 2:39 AM
@grammapat Honestly, the only reason to identify which pack they came from in the first place is to know if you even have the hair in your game. Once you've defaulted a hair and are then trying to remove that default the only thing that helps you is having the file name. I guess you could just remove your entire hair default file and start over but ultimately learning the file names will still have to happen. It's the same with clothes.

@RoxEllen1965 Thanks, I was pretty sure I would have read about someone killing a bunch of sims at once with that "chain lightning" method if it existed. As for the lightning rod as I said I've always put it on the ground but thanks for confirming that is still correct.
Mad Poster
#25265 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 2:49 AM
@grammapat Honestly, the only reason to identify which pack they came from in the first place is to know if you even have the hair in your game. Once you've defaulted a hair and are then trying to remove that default the only thing that helps you is having the file name. I guess you could just remove your entire hair default file and start over but ultimately learning the file names will still have to happen. It's the same with clothes. .

======
I thought it would help if a hair showed a SP that I don't have.

Mad Poster
#25266 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 4:16 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 24th Oct 2020 at 5:04 AM.
The icons won't be any bigger ingame for the thumbnails, but I wrote which packs they are from underneath, so you can easier match them to the packs you have or the ones you find ingame.

Ingame, the hairs should appear in (roughly) order of release date, so EP order with SPs mixed in, except the Holiday hairs (they don't have icons but should be easy to recognize). From the back - BG, UNI, NL, OFB, FFS (kids for hair), GLS (clothes), SSN, TSS (only teens), CEL, (H&M - clothes), BV, FT, K&B, AL and M&G, (left out Pets and IKEA because those don't seem to have any CAS items). Maybe it's easier to figure out what's what when you know this. The hairs I picked for the images were random, but are hairs for those packs.

(Updated the file, by the way - I happen to have a goldfish memory and thought I might as well use the icons as a cheat to remember which expansion is which number, because I always forget, at least with the SPs )
Theorist
#25267 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 11:10 AM
Am I the only simmer who wasn't aware of this?
I learned about this feature while watching a video by the Jessa Channel so I had to search.
Mad Poster
#25268 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 1:39 PM
I've just discovered a hidden cache of Prima guides on my computer. I didn't realize I had saved all of them. I did read a couple of things I didn't know was possible and both are lightning-related.

The first is if a sim is hit by lightning while swimming it will cause a chain reaction and carry to everyone in the pool. Is that true? I've never seen a sim hit while swimming at all. I assumed it was possible but again I've never seen it.

I've never seen a Sim struck by lightning in a pool, but I HAVE seen lighning strike two Sims at once in a hot tub (Mary-Sue and Daniel Pleasant and I laughed so hard I gave myself an asthma attack) so maybe there's something in it.

Mad Poster
#25269 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 11:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Essa
Am I the only simmer who wasn't aware of this?
I learned about this feature while watching a video by the Jessa Channel so I had to search.

I did know about this, but only because the customer selector goes in that slot.
Scholar
#25270 Old 25th Oct 2020 at 1:22 AM
Did I just totally mess this up? I installed a clean version of Riverblossom Hills as a subhood. This was one of meetmeattherivers templates set up for a subhood. I followed all the instructions and everything went fine when I loaded my game. There are only 17 sims in this hood in 6 lots and one in the bin. I noticed on the batbox that there was corruption, so I wiped it. Then I went in and wiped all the corrupt memories I could find. Basically I wiped all memories from every sim in the hood and the one in the bin.

Everything seems perfectly fine. I've played all lots through 2 days, taken sims to community lots, and run two date scenarios. I don't care about the lost memories although I do find it slightly amusing watching a married couple with two children go through first kiss and woohoo again. I probably wasn't going to follow the pre-made storylines anyway. What I want to know is will it cause problems or corruption later?

The other question is they had memories of sims deaths but there are no tombstones/urns that I can find nor are there any additional dead sims when I take a census. I have a feeling this might have been where that initial corruption came from, to begin with. Is this going to lead to major trouble eventually? I've never used a clean template for anything but a test hood and those are pretty short-term events for me so I'm not sure if this is normal or not.
Mad Poster
#25271 Old 25th Oct 2020 at 9:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
I've never seen a Sim struck by lightning in a pool, but I HAVE seen lighning strike two Sims at once in a hot tub (Mary-Sue and Daniel Pleasant and I laughed so hard I gave myself an asthma attack) so maybe there's something in it.

That is a nice hottub. Where did you get it from?
Mad Poster
#25272 Old 25th Oct 2020 at 6:20 PM
Did I just totally mess this up? I installed a clean version of Riverblossom Hills as a subhood. This was one of meetmeattherivers templates set up for a subhood. I followed all the instructions and everything went fine when I loaded my game. There are only 17 sims in this hood in 6 lots and one in the bin. I noticed on the batbox that there was corruption, so I wiped it. Then I went in and wiped all the corrupt memories I could find. Basically I wiped all memories from every sim in the hood and the one in the bin.

Everything seems perfectly fine. I've played all lots through 2 days, taken sims to community lots, and run two date scenarios. I don't care about the lost memories although I do find it slightly amusing watching a married couple with two children go through first kiss and woohoo again. I probably wasn't going to follow the pre-made storylines anyway. What I want to know is will it cause problems or corruption later?

The other question is they had memories of sims deaths but there are no tombstones/urns that I can find nor are there any additional dead sims when I take a census. I have a feeling this might have been where that initial corruption came from, to begin with. Is this going to lead to major trouble eventually? I've never used a clean template for anything but a test hood and those are pretty short-term events for me so I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

The corruption you saw is the mismatch between sim numbers in the sims as created and as the game attached them. If you'd run hoodchecker first it would've found and fixed all the corrupt memories, and batbox wouldn't have found any. Now you know for next time: attach subhoods, exit, run hoodchecker, relaunch game. The dead sims should just be sitting in the default family, like every other dead premade that doesn't have a placed grave. You can summon them, make them selectable, and use the batbox to regenerate their tombstones, but whichever sims are on the lot will get memories of sim died from this.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Field Researcher
#25273 Old 25th Oct 2020 at 8:15 PM
Question regarding custom age ranges.

Does this affect wants? It seems like once my toddlers are 5 days old (out of 8), they don't roll anymore wants to be potty trained or learn to walk.
Mad Poster
#25274 Old 25th Oct 2020 at 8:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
That is a nice hottub. Where did you get it from?

It's one of the Witcher hottubs converted by Hodgekiss here!
Mad Poster
#25275 Old 25th Oct 2020 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Coriel_Muroz
Question regarding custom age ranges.

Does this affect wants? It seems like once my toddlers are 5 days old (out of 8), they don't roll anymore wants to be potty trained or learn to walk.

No idea, but I've noticed toddlers have a tendency to roll the skill wants immediately after growing up, then they seem to get triggered again if the toddler fulfil a toddler skill want. I always lock at least one of them, or try to start them out as fast as I can (and make sure the parents who get the wants to teach the toddler also get locked wants and is the one who teaches the toddler that particular skill, so they can get some points as well).

If you wait too long and don't lock the wants, the wants tend to roll away, and don't always reappear.
Page 1011 of 1347