Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th May 2019 at 6:31 PM
Default TS2 House Help - Roof Mainly (again) & Side Question
Hi guys... I come to ask for help yet again on a roof. Maybe I'm overly tired from lack of proper sleep, but I cannot for the life of me get a decent roof on this box.
Any help is welcome. I have a TINY budget left for paint/siding/whatever, so I can't change a whole lot.

Pictures attached since MYP won't allow me to log-in.

Side questions:
- When creating, do you build for yourself and just share in case someone else can use it, or do you build for other Simmers without your own needs in mind?
- Do you ever leave bedrooms empty? (I never have, but I'm considering it because of my own needs for this home.)

Feel free to help with the roof or questions or both or none. Thanks for looking at all.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 14th May 2019 at 7:07 PM Last edited by Victor_tor : 14th May 2019 at 7:34 PM.
Currently not TS2 player. But questions are quite common so I'd like to raise my hand and take part.
Can't find any reasons for house expanding. Did you think of add a 2nd floor? No? I would be rather a bad policeman but I see house is so tiny and the yard is too empty. It's kinda odd looking with poor outdoors decor. Sorry.

As for side questions. I am making house for others as I made it for myself. Think it's all for one just because every creative is prime egoist
I think that's fine to make house without any furnishing except plumbing. But its okay just since sims are not entering the house with one penny left. I leaved kids bedrooms empty when made Farm Starters to make it cost as starter. But masters bedroom are always fully furnished. So yes. Fixture furnishings are not in my profile.

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Alchemist
#3 Old 14th May 2019 at 9:09 PM
Woohee, that's a tricky box with a strange stick thingy. I'd add a covered porch so you don't have the 3 squares wide sticking out that much, but I see you're on a budget. A low pitch is the way to go, I can see that working at least.

To answer the side question(s): I build for my own statisfaction and to share. If I'm happy with the result it'll most likely be uploaded. I don't really play, so I don't build after my own/Sims' need.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#4 Old 14th May 2019 at 9:13 PM
Thanks for the reply, @Victor_tor - I'll break your comments down to better reply to them!

1. I cannot add a second floor without going over the Starter Home budget (for TS2) of 20k. I could scrap it and start over to do that.
2. Haha, my yards are usually quite sparse! You must not be familiar with the tiny, simple homes I have uploaded *giggle* One of my lines is always loosely said as "I prefer to put the money on the inside of the home than in the yard".
2a. There is also another reason the yard is lacking! I have left spots for two driveways to be placed in the future.
3. Thanks for the insight on how you feel on furnishings. I'm becoming more OK with the idea of leaving secondary bedrooms unfurnished if I want the money to go elsewhere, or the family has no immediate plans for babies/adoption and such.

I appreciate the feedback. The house is far from done. I still have major stuff to do inside, but Starter Home Businesses are something I sorely need in my own game, so I figured I may as well try. Thanks again!
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 14th May 2019 at 9:20 PM
Why not leave it as is? Add a low fence as trim. Maybe add 3-tile awnings above the front doors? That right front door looks a bit strange, is that for a shop?

As for your questions: I build when I have an idea what to build. Sometimes I fulfill requests. But no, as I don't know what "simmers" want, I usually don't build for others. But if I upload, I try to make my lots useful nevertheless no matter what my intentions for the house were initially.
And sure, why not leave parts of the house empty, especially if you build it for your own needs? If you plan to upload, you can still add basic furnishing so that it's useful - a bed, a lamp.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th May 2019 at 9:53 PM
Thanks you two... I appreciate it!

@Johnny_Bravo - LOL, yes, yes it is one funky box/USB/weird thing. I didn't want to build bigger than 2x2, so... here we are. Haha. The stick part, hehe, is the shop area mostly! I'll grab an interior pic for you guys later. A covered porch to even things out would be nice, especially if combined with Norn's idea of 3 tile awnings above the doors. Thanks for answering the question too! I'm trying to stop worrying about "Oh maybe this person will need this or this or this" when I'm mainly building for me and I may not need those features, but I'm curious as to how super awesome experienced builders think as well.

@Norn -
1.Thanks! Yes, I sure did think about the low fence for a moment, but was like... nooo, they will just say "That's a cop-out, go make a roof!" Haha. I'll try addding one when I go back in to fiddle with the insides a bit more. I love the idea of adding an awning over the doors. I feel so silly not thinking of that.
2. Yes, that door is for a shop! It's supposed to be a Starter Home Business at the end of the day, so I'm aiming for under 20k, but that may not be possible with 3 bedrooms. (The struggle is REAL, but right now it IS under and bedrooms are BASIC furnished.)
Thanks for answering the question too! It seems like I tend to strive for better results when it's not just for me. If it's just for me, sometimes I go "Eh, good enough."
Theorist
#7 Old 14th May 2019 at 9:56 PM
Yes another one is a home business endeed! If so. As Norn said. Low fence is good. Half walls bordered roof will be perfect. Another way is using autoroof tool to make sloped roof. Simple sloped roof by all sides without frontons. And your building will be like from one story America.
Do place at least one flamingo at yard! It looks poor even for Bob and Betty Newbie

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th May 2019 at 11:56 PM
Default forgot a few comments of my own
@Victor_tor - I'm going to add a pic of the house with the low white fence, I'll try the sloped roof too later this evening. LOL, perfect if it looks American since I'm in the U.S. (shhh, it will blend in nicely! haha). LOL, you made me laugh so hard about the flamingo. I'll see what cheap solutions I can come up with for the yard. I can always remove them when a driveway is needed, eh?

Sorry, I forgot the overhead and other pics. I'll try and remember! I think it looks better...? :D
Might have to go with pricier columns instead (sigh), and that low fence put me over budget by $500+, but there is hope. The spare bedroom furniture CAN go.
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 15th May 2019 at 12:11 AM
Golden I think the roof is giving trouble because of the shop area. I would make it one tile shorter and 1 tile wider.

Also can you show us some pictures of what you have tried so far?

Quote:
- When creating, do you build for yourself and just share in case someone else can use it, or do you build for other Simmers without your own needs in mind?

I have done both. A lot of my lots on here came to be because I wanted something, went looking to download and couldn't find it. My last two lots are exactly that, to fill in a niche on something I couldn't find. I figure if I need this and can't find it somebody else will as well. I still keep general needs in mind, so I like things to work where possible. I let people know if a mod is needed. An example would be how I use plants; to reach them people will need a reaching mod or use a perfect plant mod and I say so. The unreachable plantings do not bother me as I am going for looks.

- Do you ever leave bedrooms empty? (I never have, but I'm considering it because of my own needs for this home.) Only if it's a starter and I run out of money. I have lots like that up on here as well.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 15th May 2019 at 12:51 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th May 2019 at 1:09 AM.
Another idea:
For the roof, you can try a triangular roof with roof-capped edges in the size of the first square (left to right), then a second smaller triangular roof to the end, and finally a 90 degree turn on the rest of the roof but with a wall-end. SOmething over the door is also nice. You can play around with height and angles after. It's not the most awesome roof, but it'll work.
(Crappy paint illustrations below)

A bit more greenery doesn't hurt, either.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th May 2019 at 5:00 PM
@joandsarah77 - Thanks for chiming in! I updated the pictures right above your post yesterday and also dropped some financial info too. I'll try to keep mods in mind for flowers, I forget about the details like mentioning a mod if it can be useful, but I will go back and edit it in if I remember. If I cannot add a regular roof and have to keep the low tiled fence, the bedrooms WILL have to go empty. I simply cannot afford everything on a starter budget, haha.

@simmer22 - Thank you for the roof idea/illustration! I'll try that in a few!!! I would really prefer to get rid of that expensive low edged fence. It would free up money for adding more greenery to the lawn for the MTS version of the house. My personal version will just have two driveway spaces, so no need for it there. I'll update with some pictures later!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 16th May 2019 at 12:10 AM
So you do not want a regular roof? I will make a quick copy and try myself in game today. But I would not use the money on fence trim and extra walls, just alter the shape a little, use a regular roof then put the money on plants and other items. Unless you prefer to have a flat trimmed roof.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 16th May 2019 at 1:52 AM
@joandsarah77 - I would greatly prefer a regular roof as it is cheaper. I made some changes. The house is still white in this one.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th May 2019 at 1:56 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I also have pictures of the house color changed. I didn't know if this is better.
I'm still testing the interior configuration to make sure it's playable.
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 16th May 2019 at 6:49 AM
So this is what I would do with the main roof part. I didn't do a front overhang like you did there, but I probably might, I was only looking to the long skinny part.

I would shave it one tile back and widen by 1 tile. I think adding even more length by adding half wall only makes it look stranger. I would do a gable over the shorter part and 2 hipped roofs over the back.
Screenshots

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th May 2019 at 11:12 AM
I made some changes based on the recent feedback - roof suggestions by Jo, more greenery (by everyone, LOL) and awnings. Also changed the house color a bit as I'm on the fence about all the white.
Thanks everyone. I was really mainly stuck on the roof, but the comments helped improve it a lot!
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 17th May 2019 at 2:51 AM
I think it looks darling! A cheap home business- what a great idea!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 18th May 2019 at 12:01 PM
@attuned - Thanks! It's something I need for my game, and I'm glad the theme came along to remind me or I would have forgotten (again).