Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Feb 2021 at 11:12 PM
Ignore Traversal Costs (SimPE ghost flag)
Hey everyone!

I've been wondering how does "ignore traversal costs" (ghost flag in SimPE) affects ghosts behaviour? And what exactly are traversal costs?

Here I learned that all burglars always have that flag on, which means it might be related with simply entering/invading lots. However shouldn't "pass through walls" and "pass through objects" give that ability to them?

I would love to hear what you guys know about this!

Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Feb 2021 at 2:51 AM
Scholar
#3 Old 19th Feb 2021 at 12:09 PM
I always assumed it meant to ignore routing penalties. Portals and stepping over low items have a routing penalty that the game uses to calculate which route is best for a sim to take, stairs for example have a high penalty so sims shouldn't go up and down stairs to get somewhere just because there's less tiles to cross (doesn't always seem to work in practice). Since ghosts float they don't need to be penalized by things like stepping over low objects.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Feb 2021 at 9:48 PM
Hmm that's very interesting! Maybe it's related to stairs not being obstacules for ghosts/burglars.
For burglars, stairs are definitely not a problem. Maybe ghosts that have their tombstones outside in the garden can enter lots with foundations (which always have stairs). I'm going to try to find out!
Thanks for the tips! At least I have a clue where to look for.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 2:07 AM Last edited by yourfriendmichelle : 9th Mar 2021 at 2:24 AM.
@Biara25 Sorry, I'm late to the party, but I remember being curious about this myself a while ago, and I looked it up too.

I found the website I saw back then again, (link) it's in Spanish but according to that page "Ignore Traversal Costs" means you can't interact with the sim, e.g. You hover your cursor over him/her and your cursor turns grey.

Myself, I can't confirm this but it sounds right to me. IIRC you can't interact with a ghost or a burglar while they're doing their thing on your lot.

Why not be kind?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 2:53 AM
You can definitely interact with ghosts if you have mods that add social interactions that don't check for ghostness, that's entirely based on the social plugin controller and has nothing to do with those flags.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 22nd Mar 2021 at 11:59 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently Sims with the "Ignore Traversal Costs" flag can't get scared by ghosts. I just tested the flag and my Sim went through an entire night where this ghost wouldn't scare him. I then repeated the cycle the following night, and partway through I decided to see if removing the flag would make a difference. And now the ghosts are choosing to scare him once again.

Not sure about the other possible differences that setting the flag does. I originally thought it was the flag that allowed burglars to sneak. But that has long proven to be incorrect.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Mar 2021 at 12:38 AM
That's very interesting information you discovered, and it makes sense! Thanks for sharing

After doing my testing I found out that it definitely has no relation with using stairs/enter lots like I thought before.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 29th Mar 2021 at 3:44 AM
So all burglars have that flag by default to make sure any ghost wandering around will not break burglar scenario.