Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

TESTERS WANTED – New videogame: Halo 2 **UPDATED 3Mar05**

by raquelcesar Posted 2nd Mar 2005 at 1:39 AM - Updated 4th Apr 2005 at 8:11 PM by raquelcesar : updated

107 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 102 Feedback Posts, 4 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 5
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 2:51 AM
Thank you all for the nice comments

Quote: Originally posted by aafuss
Could you do a Invader Zim game (images can be used in to create the video files-badbadrubberpiggy.com/caps)?

Quote: Originally posted by Jetdude14
EDIT: Wanted to ask, is it possible if you can make another video game? One would like to play Ratchet And Clank 3 on ones' PS2, and maybe then The Sims 2 it SELF!

Jetdude14, that would be really interesting! The sims playing “The Sims 2”
As you may easily guess by reading the first post in this thread, I had a lot of work with this object.
I am now involved in other projects that are consuming much of my time. So, I don’t intend to make any more videogames. At least, not so soon.
However, I am willing to assist anyone wanting to make a new videogame. I can give detailed information on how I did the present game. I can even handle the code for you, if you want me to. I think you should wait until the game is fully tested, though.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 5:00 PM
I just figured out how to link the “Halo 2” displays to the original ones making them borrow just some of the original parts and using their own textures for the others. Now the “Halo 2” displays will use the original surfaces but still will show the “Halo 2” game case. In this way all the recolours made to the original displays will be automatically available for these new displays.
I updated the exe file and also uploaded a zip file containing only the modified packages. If you have already downloaded the exe file you only need to download the new packages and put them in your download folder, replacing the older packages there.
The new uploads can be found on my first post in this thread.
I did not change any of the functional aspects of the objects. So, if you don’t want to take advantage of this new recolouring scheme you don’t need to redownload the new packages. Note, however, that the new packages are substantial smaller than the older ones.
Test Subject
#28 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 11:32 PM
Looks pretty damn amazing.
Now I can get my Sims to play Halo 2 and pretend that they are level 22s while I hide in my small corner with my damned level 10... but seriously, this is good :D
Test Subject
#29 Old 7th Mar 2005 at 8:06 PM
Yes, i would love to create a other videogame, but erm, just one problem, how do i get the footage? i suppose i could always use some of the preview videos of the ratchet and clank or sims
Test Subject
#30 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 1:44 AM
Maybe, I'm just stupid; I don't know. The .exe file didn't do what you said it would do. It has messed up my game so I tried to remove it by doing the opposite of what you said the .exe file does. These folders/files don't exist. I'm confused. How do you remove this from the game. I removed the three things from the downloads folder already, but what now?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 3:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thewriter
Maybe, I'm just stupid; I don't know. The .exe file didn't do what you said it would do. It has messed up my game so I tried to remove it by doing the opposite of what you said the .exe file does. These folders/files don't exist. I'm confused. How do you remove this from the game. I removed the three things from the downloads folder already, but what now?

I don’t see any stupidity there. If the exe file didn’t copy the configuration settings files and movies to your game’s installation folder, then the videogame can’t work. However, it shouldn’t mess up your game! How exactly was the game messed up?

Now, in order to uninstall the videogame you must undo what the exe file did, which should have been what I described in my first post. If the exe file only copied the packages to your downloads folder, then the only thing you have to do is to remove them, which you already did.

Anyway, let me clarify one point. In my first post $INSTDIR stands for the game’s installation directory, which, by default, is “C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2”. If that is your game’s installation directory, then you should find the configuration files in the folder “C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Movies\Games\INI”, the movie bungiegames.avi in the folder “C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Movies\Games\esrb” and the HALO2 directory will be “C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Movies\Games\HALO2”.

To be sure that the exe file didn’t copy the files to the wrong place, just search your computer for files with “halo2” in the name.
Field Researcher
#32 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 8:06 AM
My son will be jealous....he wants this game
Thanks
Test Subject
#33 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 9:08 AM
Well, well, what shall I say? :muffy:
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 10:22 AM
wow! this looks so cool (thank you by the way, for including an installer...i dont know how i would have put them all in the right spot without it Good Job!
Test Subject
#35 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 1:46 PM
Quote:
To be sure that the exe file didn’t copy the files to the wrong place, just search your computer for files with “halo2” in the name.

Duh! Why didn't I think of that?

I don't know how it happened but there was a rogue The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Movies\Games folder buried deep within another folder. Strange.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious solution for me. I apparently was having a brain fart day and didn't even think to search for the missing file. I am going to try it again now that the rogue folder is gone.

BTW, is this associated with your download?
HALO2.EXE-2BDA96A4.pf located in C:\\WINDOWS\Prefetch
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#36 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 6:12 PM
I don't know how it happened but there was a rogue The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Movies\Games folder buried deep within another folder. Strange.

Very strange indeed!
I’m glad you found the missing files. However, I don’t know why they were misplaced. The exe file is very simple, just a script file. It accesses the Windows Registry and retrieves the value for the entry “Path” in the registry key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Sims2.exe”. This value is a string that is the path to the TS2 installation folder. If the application is unable to find that path, it produces an error message and exits. Since that didn’t happen, it must have found the path. Is it possible that, somehow, your Registry has the wrong path for the game?

Ok, I hope you (or, rather, your sims) are now able to play the “Halo 2” game. All’s well that ends well!

BTW, is this associated with your download?
HALO2.EXE-2BDA96A4.pf located in C:\\WINDOWS\Prefetch

Don’t worry about that .pf file. You can delete it. I found this information in the internet:

The .pf file type is a prefetch file. A prefetch files is essentially a resource list. Any time a program is executed, Windows XP attempts to find a pre-existing prefetch file, and if it's available, it uses it to make the application load up faster. The file will also be updated after it is accessed, so that the more an application is used, the bigger the drop in loading time (to a point). If the application doesn't already have an associated prefetch file, Windows XP will create one. Those files are stored in the \%windir%\prefetch directory.
Test Subject
#37 Old 10th Mar 2005 at 12:39 AM
hi raquel - i'm a bit confused as to the installation. With both zips, I got only 3 files - rc_DisplayRackVideoGamesCounter.package, rc_DisplayRackVideoGames.package and the Halo2 application. do I simply put the .package files in my downloads (objects) folder and the application file in the EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Movies\Games\esrb file?

Test Subject
#38 Old 10th Mar 2005 at 1:56 AM
Oh wow this is just wonderful.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#39 Old 10th Mar 2005 at 2:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimTripps
hi raquel - i'm a bit confused as to the installation. With both zips, I got only 3 files - rc_DisplayRackVideoGamesCounter.package, rc_DisplayRackVideoGames.package and the Halo2 application. do I simply put the .package files in my downloads (objects) folder and the application file in the EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Movies\Games\esrb file?

Hi, SimTripps.

Just unzip the halo2.exe file to any folder you choose. Then, run the file (double click it). It will install all the necessary files into the appropriate folders. These include the two packages in the second zip file. The packages you got with the second zip file are the ones I updated after I created the thread. They are also included in the installation application, which I updated at the same time. I uploaded them as a separate zip so that people that had previously downloaded the exe file don't have to download the updated exe file (it's a big file!).

After running the application you can delete it.
Test Subject
#40 Old 10th Mar 2005 at 4:48 AM
thanks! :D
Test Subject
#41 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 10:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by raquelcesar
Don’t worry about that .pf file. You can delete it. I found this information in the internet:

The .pf file type is a prefetch file. A prefetch files is essentially a resource list. Any time a program is executed, Windows XP attempts to find a pre-existing prefetch file, and if it's available, it uses it to make the application load up faster. The file will also be updated after it is accessed, so that the more an application is used, the bigger the drop in loading time (to a point). If the application doesn't already have an associated prefetch file, Windows XP will create one. Those files are stored in the \%windir%\prefetch directory.

Thanks. It works like a charm now.

Great job on this!
Test Subject
#42 Old 12th Mar 2005 at 1:36 AM
Can I Try?
Yo! Let me try! Great Item! :mrpantha:
Test Subject
#43 Old 12th Mar 2005 at 1:38 AM
Hello? R U Here?
Test Subject
#44 Old 17th Mar 2005 at 10:33 AM
I want to make a Sims game for in the sims, i think that would be cool, but i would require help with it,
Instructor
#45 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 7:53 PM
i love it but for some reason it wont appear in my game. i went to go buy it and it wasnt there either. Can u tell me the exact place to place to put it
Instructor
#46 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 8:00 PM
i tried it but it didnt work, does it have its own game rack? Im gonna try deleting the game racks and making them again. doesnt hurt to try
Instructor
#47 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 8:05 PM
you sould try making a game where the sims are doing exactly what is happening on the screen. i have no idea how to do this but it would be so cool. your sims controling.... themselves
i have no idea what im talking about.
it might not be possible and i wouldnt know because i only download, dont even attempt to make.
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 24th Mar 2005 at 8:00 AM
Me and my friends had a wierd idea to film someone playing the sims 2, putting it into the game, make one of us, and have them play themselves playing the sims.... a real trip if you ask me

great job on this, now we need more games!
#49 Old 24th Mar 2005 at 10:06 PM
great!!! my sims are making thir Red vs Blue now =))
Thanks a lot!!
Test Subject
#50 Old 24th Mar 2005 at 11:21 PM
i think that the quality of the video is a major issue. i could barely see the action on the wide tv. if you want cristal clear picture. get a tv card for your pc and connect your x-box or any other console to the video in and record the footage. you can record to avi directly and specify the resolution and size. the size doesn't matter because it is a direct connection you could make the screen size as big or as small as you want and wouldent lose any quality. this can be done with wintv2000
Page 2 of 5