Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 1:48 AM
Default WCIF high quality lossless PNG to DDS online converter?
WCIF high quality lossless PNG to DDS online converter?

I tried several online PNG to DDS online converter, but all of them compressed and reduced the quality of the image significantly.

It's extremely frustrating if the file you want to convert is skin file, which will produce a lot of artifacts and lost of details so much.

Thank you so much!

Btw, I can't use Photoshop nVidia DDS plugin, including the DDS stand-alone tool. It gives me an error of unable to open the window because of certain factors. That is why I need the online converter.
Advertisement
Retired Staff Member
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Oct 2020 at 8:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Celebriton
WCIF high quality lossless PNG to DDS online converter?

I tried several online PNG to DDS online converter, but all of them compressed and reduced the quality of the image significantly.

It's extremely frustrating if the file you want to convert is skin file, which will produce a lot of artifacts and lost of details so much.

Thank you so much!

Btw, I can't use Photoshop nVidia DDS plugin, including the DDS stand-alone tool. It gives me an error of unable to open the window because of certain factors. That is why I need the online converter.

Why not just use the PNG? Skip the conversion to DDS?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#3 Old 15th Oct 2020 at 6:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wykkyd
Why not just use the PNG? Skip the conversion to DDS?

It has to be converted to DDS to be used in the game. An online converter might do better than the conversion built into S4S or other tools.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Retired Staff Member
retired moderator
#4 Old 15th Oct 2020 at 8:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
It has to be converted to DDS to be used in the game. An online converter might do better than the conversion built into S4S or other tools.

I use PNG's. I do not use DDS at all.
Instructor
#5 Old 16th Oct 2020 at 5:53 AM
So, since you use Photoshop, I'm guessing that your working files are all PSDs, and you're saving to PNG because the DDS plugin issues with Photoshop that you mentioned prevent you from saving to DDS?

Why not use GIMP or paint.net to do it? You may be able to just open the PSD and then export it to DDS without passing through PNG at all, and you can certainly open any supported image format and Save As or Export to another. At least one of those programs (I've forgotten which) doesn't even need a plugin for DDS.

That cat is cute.
Retired Staff Member
retired moderator
#6 Old 16th Oct 2020 at 10:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cidira
So, since you use Photoshop, I'm guessing that your working files are all PSDs, and you're saving to PNG because the DDS plugin issues with Photoshop that you mentioned prevent you from saving to DDS?

Why not use GIMP or paint.net to do it? You may be able to just open the PSD and then export it to DDS without passing through PNG at all, and you can certainly open any supported image format and Save As or Export to another. At least one of those programs (I've forgotten which) doesn't even need a plugin for DDS.

That cat is cute.

I actually use Corel Paint Shop Pro 2021. I'm a life long user of PSP. I tried GIMP a while back and I just did not like it as much as I liked my PSP. I just am curious what is the reason that you'd use DDS over PNG? Umm, what cat?
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#7 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 8:03 PM
Hello.

This is what GraPhix at game guru forum says:    Game Guru

"I was confused over this too, PNG are fine to use but DirectX utilizes DDS more efficiently just remember DDS is a lossy format the more you edit it and save it the more" quality you lose, I export as PNG and when I am happy with the texture I export to DDS DXT1 for non transparency and DXT5 for transparent models. I am also sticking to 2048x2048 although some assets look perfectly fine at 1024x1024 

PNG stores images in a compressed, lossless format that is optimized for storage on disk. DDS stores textures in formats that are native to the GPU, and hence optimized for GPU consumption. For PNG's to be useable as texture data, they typically need processing to convert to a GPU format, and possibly also create mipmaps. This can take some time if you have a lot of textures to load, particularly if you want to load them as a DXT/BC-compressed format so that they're optimized for GPU memory and bandwidth consumption. They will also need some manual processing if you want to load them as 1D, 3D, or Cube textures. DDS can store all of those formats natively, which means you can load them very quickly with little-to-no processing.

I did the preview orbs as PNG so that people could play with the textures and the quality of the previews orbs were high, I don't think anyone would use them in a game so thought it did not matter."