Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Mar 2022 at 6:13 AM
Default Modding PhoneGlobals.iff for longer conversations
I'm trying to make a mod where either phone calls longer, or, if that isn't possible, are more effective (+Rel gain). I've narrowed it down to the PhoneGlobals file and I believe I have to adjust the behavior in the "just talk to friend" (8286) behavior. I've played around with it a bit and I've managed to successfully edit the file to where changes show up in the game, but I haven't been able to successfully do what I'm trying to. I feel like I could possibly eventually figure it out, but I'd rather ask instead of waste time if someone knows what exactly I should be editing or could point me in the right direction. Thank you!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 26th Mar 2022 at 4:56 PM
I've edited PhoneGlobals to make the sims talk until their social need is full, instead of stopping at 75%, but I haven't tried to make them gain more relationship points. I think the relationship points are probably in a BCon.

It was 8286 that I edited, but I'm afraid I don't remember any more than that.

Good luck!

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Mar 2022 at 1:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Corylea
I've edited PhoneGlobals to make the sims talk until their social need is full, instead of stopping at 75%, but I haven't tried to make them gain more relationship points. I think the relationship points are probably in a BCon.

It was 8286 that I edited, but I'm afraid I don't remember any more than that.

Good luck!

Thank you!
So, I tried a few different things and am not having any luck. I then thought that the next best solution would be to have them not get upset if you called them multiple times, but I can't find where that stuff is in the PhoneGlobals file in IFFPencil. I found where the dialog is (in the phone iff itself), but I can't find what links to it.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 29th Mar 2022 at 8:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TTR
Thank you!
So, I tried a few different things and am not having any luck. I then thought that the next best solution would be to have them not get upset if you called them multiple times, but I can't find where that stuff is in the PhoneGlobals file in IFFPencil. I found where the dialog is (in the phone iff itself), but I can't find what links to it.

I looked at PhoneGlobals, and hoo, boy! There are an awful lot of things referenced in there that we don't have the referents for. A lot seems to depend on Parameter 0, but I'm not sure where that is set.

As far as I can tell, the actual relationship increase is probably in 8192 -- "Adjust rel for talk" -- but if you can figure out how that's adding +5 after phone calls, I hope you can explain it to me. :-) As far as I can tell, the increase in relationship ultimately depends (after a couple of local variables) on Parameter 0, but how THAT is set, I can't tell.

I think perhaps the easier way to do this is simply to add an additional couple of lines to the "just talk to friend" BHAV that increases the relationship, separately from however else it's increased. I'm interested enough now that I could play with that, but since this is really your project, if you're comfortable doing that, I'll leave it in your hands.

I'll mention that a lot of relationship stuff mentions var, and behavior.iff has String #170 that explains what each var is, things like "me to stack object" and "stack object to me."

Have fun! And please come back and share your work with us, when you're successful!

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Apr 2022 at 5:03 AM
I looked at PhoneGlobals, and hoo, boy! There are an awful lot of things referenced in there that we don't have the referents for. A lot seems to depend on Parameter 0, but I'm not sure where that is set.

As far as I can tell, the actual relationship increase is probably in 8192 -- "Adjust rel for talk" -- but if you can figure out how that's adding +5 after phone calls, I hope you can explain it to me. :-) As far as I can tell, the increase in relationship ultimately depends (after a couple of local variables) on Parameter 0, but how THAT is set, I can't tell.

I think perhaps the easier way to do this is simply to add an additional couple of lines to the "just talk to friend" BHAV that increases the relationship, separately from however else it's increased. I'm interested enough now that I could play with that, but since this is really your project, if you're comfortable doing that, I'll leave it in your hands.

I'll mention that a lot of relationship stuff mentions var, and behavior.iff has String #170 that explains what each var is, things like "me to stack object" and "stack object to me."

Have fun! And please come back and share your work with us, when you're successful!

Thank you! That is a good idea. I tried something like that earlier to no avail, but I think you know what you're doing quite a bit more than me I'm actually really glad you responded because I've used some of your mods before! If you want to have a go at it by all means feel free to - you're definitely more experienced and I'd appreciate the help.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 2nd Apr 2022 at 12:11 AM Last edited by Corylea : 2nd Apr 2022 at 1:23 AM.
Thank you! That is a good idea. I tried something like that earlier to no avail, but I think you know what you're doing quite a bit more than me I'm actually really glad you responded because I've used some of your mods before! If you want to have a go at it by all means feel free to - you're definitely more experienced and I'd appreciate the help.

I'm afraid that I do NOT know what I'm doing, at least, not with this. Relationships are apparently MUCH more complicated than motives, interests, personality, and all the rest. Plus, I couldn't find anything about relationships in SimCollege.

I spent two whole days working on this, and I tried everything I could think of. I tried setting Parameter 0, since that seemed to be what was controlling the relationship increase, but that didn't work. I tried writing my own code, but it didn't work. I looked up the code for the Relationship Increase spell that came with Makin' Magic and copied the code from that, taking out the lines of code that referred to things like animations but keeping in everything about relationships. Didn't work. I coped the code that makes friends for you instantly from the supersculpture from SomeSimThings. Didn't work.

I tried putting the code as part of the Just Talk BHAV, and I tried making it a separate BHAV that's called during Just Talk. I tried putting it here, and I tried putting it there.

It LOOKS as if the things I've written should work, but when I test them, the phone call is completely unaltered.

I'm afraid this is beyond my current skill level, and I just can't do it. Sorry to have let you down, but I did try very hard.

Edited to add: What I CAN do is mod the "just talk" phone calls so that they raise your Social to a higher level, for those who live alone or who have partners who are working the opposite shift or something. I can upload that if there's any interest in it.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Apr 2022 at 9:43 PM Last edited by TTR : 4th Apr 2022 at 3:07 AM.
I'm afraid that I do NOT know what I'm doing, at least, not with this. Relationships are apparently MUCH more complicated than motives, interests, personality, and all the rest. Plus, I couldn't find anything about relationships in SimCollege.

I spent two whole days working on this, and I tried everything I could think of. I tried setting Parameter 0, since that seemed to be what was controlling the relationship increase, but that didn't work. I tried writing my own code, but it didn't work. I looked up the code for the Relationship Increase spell that came with Makin' Magic and copied the code from that, taking out the lines of code that referred to things like animations but keeping in everything about relationships. Didn't work. I coped the code that makes friends for you instantly from the supersculpture from SomeSimThings. Didn't work.

I tried putting the code as part of the Just Talk BHAV, and I tried making it a separate BHAV that's called during Just Talk. I tried putting it here, and I tried putting it there.

It LOOKS as if the things I've written should work, but when I test them, the phone call is completely unaltered.

I'm afraid this is beyond my current skill level, and I just can't do it. Sorry to have let you down, but I did try very hard.

Edited to add: What I CAN do is mod the "just talk" phone calls so that they raise your Social to a higher level, for those who live alone or who have partners who are working the opposite shift or something. I can upload that if there's any interest in it.

Omg, I really appreciate the help and you trying! That's honestly how it was for me too. I kept trying a bunch of things and nothing worked.

Until...

Edit: I was possibly wrong? Not sure yet but I did manage to do something I had set out to do...
In line 72 (Okay to talk?) I made both of the true/false lines link to the "true" one, so Sims can call as many times as they want without the other Sim getting angry. And it actually does work! Both Sims (when you talk about something you both like) will get a +5 to their relationship score.

File attached -
For anyone else reading this, just rename to PhoneGlobals.iff (It's labeled as a txt file for uploading purposes) and add it to the GameData/Global folder. File was modified from a 'Complete Collection' file.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  PhoneGlobals +5 rel & call as many times as you want.txt (47.7 KB, 29 downloads)
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 4th Apr 2022 at 12:31 AM
In "Just talk to friend", I managed to make the relationship increase by 5 instead of 1 by just editing parameter 1 in line 77 (adjust rel for talk) from 1 to 5.

I don't understand. Talking to a friend on the phone USUALLY gives me a relationship increase of 5.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Apr 2022 at 2:26 AM Last edited by TTR : 4th Apr 2022 at 3:09 AM.
I don't understand. Talking to a friend on the phone USUALLY gives me a relationship increase of 5.

Oh wow, you're absolutely right. I got confused because I was play-testing a different version of the Mod (with a different family) and was only getting +1 to the relationship, but I think that's because they had less in common. Silly me, haha. Either way, being able to call multiple times is almost a good enough fix.

Edit: The relationship editing in there definitely works in some way though - I just edited each line in the "just talk to friend" - "adjust rel for talk (line 78)" to -9 instead of -1 and it did work in game. hmmmm....
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 4th Apr 2022 at 5:16 PM
Good for you, for figuring it out! My hat's off to you!