2 people viewing
Replies: 11116 (Who?), Viewed: 459599 times.
Page 439 of 445
Forum Resident
#10951 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 3:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
I see she needs a charisma point to get that next promotion; I think I can probably use that fact to hold off her getting that promotion for the foreseeable future.

@AndrewGloria

Have you heard about Cyjon's Job Stopinator? When it's in your sim's inventory, it stops them from getting promoted, regardless of Chance Cards or whether they've reached the requirements. Maybe you could use that so Gloria doesn't have to worry about skilling if you'd like that . I'm using it currently to keep Oberon as a Freelance Video Editor as it mentions that job in his bio and I wanted to keep it consistent, haha.

Happy Birthday and I hope you have a good one

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Scholar
#10952 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 5:31 AM
Sims can still get promoted on a Chance Card if they have the Stopinator, but of course you can avoid that by just Ignoring the card.
Inventor
#10953 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 10:05 AM
I've forgotten how frustrating, but rewarding, it was to make your own legacy hood . I haven't even created my sims yet since I had to find the right terrain that suits my laundry list of needs: not too big, but not too small to the point I can't add lots, no wasted green space, no pointy mountains, no huge jigsaw puzzle roads, etc. I'm trying to do a radical downsize now that I'm more aware of what my desktop can handle (no more high poly hood deco for me). I think I finally managed to find a set of terrains that I think will fit perfectly for my game :D. Best part is I can split up my legacy hood between the terrains so it won't all be contained in one neighborhood

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space- Bark!
retired moderator
#10954 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 1:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAlien
Sims can still get promoted on a Chance Card if they have the Stopinator, but of course you can avoid that by just Ignoring the card.

There's an optional package to prevent this, but they can still get demoted from chance card.

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -RADIO- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Forum Resident
#10955 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 5:01 PM
Yeah, I have the optional package that prevents that, but it came with the download, if I'm remembering correctly. They can still be demoted as previously mentioned, so they can just be ignored if nobody wants to dabble with the risks. I like Chance Cards, but sometimes they can annoying, especially when you're in the middle of an interesting story moment and you get two in a row Went on a tangent here.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Scholar
#10956 Old 9th Oct 2021 at 12:38 AM
I wish ts2 on PS2 was modable. So many things I would've changed, oh boy.

For example the fact that they cancel their current action if you change from select mode to direct control mode. Only triangle should do that, nothing else!! And then they just stand there for ages if they were on the way to the carpool, and miss it!!
Also the fact that they have to pick up the food even if it's already on the table just to be able to eat it. Had another sim snatch the food from another sim that way. And she really needed the food because it was this sparkling food that raises your skills. The carpool was already there, she had to go without eating and missed a promotion because of that bitch!! Of course the thief was properly fought with and received the finger.
Rant over.

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10957 Old 13th Oct 2021 at 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalFlame360
@ AndrewGloria

Have you heard about Cyjon's Job Stopinator? When it's in your sim's inventory, it stops them from getting promoted, regardless of Chance Cards or whether they've reached the requirements. Maybe you could use that so Gloria doesn't have to worry about skilling if you'd like that . I'm using it currently to keep Oberon as a Freelance Video Editor as it mentions that job in his bio and I wanted to keep it consistent, haha.

Happy Birthday and I hope you have a good one
Thanks CrystalFlame! Including thanks for the birthday greetings!

I do have the Job Stopinator. I downloaded it a few years ago, intending to use it alongside Cyjon's Townie Job Blocker to stop townie teens from getting teen jobs. (Very few of my playable teens have jobs, as they interfere too much in their social lives, while paying only minimal wages. Townie teens are even worse, because they don't even benefit from the wages.) Unfortunately the Job Blocker didn't work for me -- it caused all townies to freeze as soon as they set foot on the lot. It might have been my unusual combination of EPs that was causing the problem, so I might try again now I've got University.

Anyway, although I've got the Job Stopinator, I've never actually given a token to a Sim. Somehow very few of my Sims are career-focused. If I say to them, "Would you rather stay in skilling or go downtown clubbing?" they nearly all say, "Let's go clubbing!" Once they have enough to live on, they just don't push hard for further promotions.

As for Gloria, I don't want to stop her ever getting the promotion; after all her LTW is to be a Hall of Famer. My feeling for her is just that she'd like to go on playing at her peak for a season or two yet before she considers a move into coaching or management. There's something about being a professional athlete at the very top of her game. It's what Gloria has been dreaming about all her life. At the moment she's living the dream, and I'm sure she'll want to hold on to that as long as she can. I checked in SimPE, and her Charisma score is 4.52. If it reaches 5, she'll probably get that promotion, because the rest of her job performance is excellent, and she has of course about 49 family friends! (Even more so since Garry and Julian joined the family, adding all their friends to hers and Andrew's.) But I honestly don't think I'll need the Job Stopinator to put off the day when Gloria gets that promotion. If it was Logic or Creativity or Cooking or even Cleaning, I'd probably use the Stopinator, but I feel she's unlikely to gain the required Charisma skill unless I send her to gain it. I mean I've never seen a Sim autonomously go and start talking to themselves in the bathroom mirror in order to gain a charisma point! I don't blame them -- I too would find it deadly boring. (It's also said to be the first sign of madness!)

I do have a mod that makes singing karaoke increase charisma rather than creativity. (Because singing karaoke is a lot more fun than talking to yourself in the mirror!) There are however very few karaoke machines in and around Veronaville. There are as I recall three karaoke machines in FM in downtown Veronaville and one in another downtown lot (I forget which one). Obviously I won't be sending Gloria to either of those two in the near future. There is of course the possibility that Gloria turns up uncontrolled when I take other Sims there, that she then starts to sing karaoke, and that she sings enough to get her charisma score up to five. I think that's unlikely because Gloria is something of a special Sim to me -- she one of my original two Sims -- and she's my best friend's mum. So I do tend to notice when she arrives on a lot and check what she's up to.

Well, if Gloria manages to arrive on the lot unobserved and autonomously sing enough karaoke to bring her charisma score over five, I think I'll take that as Gloria's way of telling me that I was wrong, and that she is ready to move into coaching.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
#10958 Old 13th Oct 2021 at 12:57 PM
AndrewGloria, I have that mod too and the community skilling mod, which I assume you also have. However, I have noticed that on community lots, my townies will build skills and the Sims I'm currently playing will build skills, but if any other playable Sims are there, they won't build skills. I don't know why this is, and maybe it's just a peculiarity of my setup, but there would be no danger of another playable autonomously building skills on a community lot if I wasn't actively playing them at the time.
Forum Resident
#10959 Old 13th Oct 2021 at 5:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
Anyway, although I've got the Job Stopinator, I've never actually given a token to a Sim. Somehow very few of my Sims are career-focused. If I say to them, "Would you rather stay in skilling or go downtown clubbing?" they nearly all say, "Let's go clubbing!" Once they have enough to live on, they just don't push hard for further promotions.

As for Gloria, I don't want to stop her ever getting the promotion; after all her LTW is to be a Hall of Famer. My feeling for her is just that she'd like to go on playing at her peak for a season or two yet before she considers a move into coaching or management. There's something about being a professional athlete at the very top of her game. It's what Gloria has been dreaming about all her life. At the moment she's living the dream, and I'm sure she'll want to hold on to that as long as she can. I checked in SimPE, and her Charisma score is 4.52. If it reaches 5, she'll probably get that promotion, because the rest of her job performance is excellent, and she has of course about 49 family friends! (Even more so since Garry and Julian joined the family, adding all their friends to hers and Andrew's.) But I honestly don't think I'll need the Job Stopinator to put off the day when Gloria gets that promotion. If it was Logic or Creativity or Cooking or even Cleaning, I'd probably use the Stopinator, but I feel she's unlikely to gain the required Charisma skill unless I send her to gain it. I mean I've never seen a Sim autonomously go and start talking to themselves in the bathroom mirror in order to gain a charisma point! I don't blame them -- I too would find it deadly boring. (It's also said to be the first sign of madness!)

I do have a mod that makes singing karaoke increase charisma rather than creativity. (Because singing karaoke is a lot more fun than talking to yourself in the mirror!) There are however very few karaoke machines in and around Veronaville. There are as I recall three karaoke machines in FM in downtown Veronaville and one in another downtown lot (I forget which one). Obviously I won't be sending Gloria to either of those two in the near future. There is of course the possibility that Gloria turns up uncontrolled when I take other Sims there, that she then starts to sing karaoke, and that she sings enough to get her charisma score up to five. I think that's unlikely because Gloria is something of a special Sim to me -- she one of my original two Sims -- and she's my best friend's mum. So I do tend to notice when she arrives on a lot and check what she's up to.

Well, if Gloria manages to arrive on the lot unobserved and autonomously sing enough karaoke to bring her charisma score over five, I think I'll take that as Gloria's way of telling me that I was wrong, and that she is ready to move into coaching.

Ah, that's fair and since charisma is what I call a manual skill, meaning in a vanilla game it's not a skill sims learn on their own, then it makes sense not to limit that promotion. And like you said, when she decides she wants that promotion, she'll let you know by paying the karaoke place a visit to perform on the mic

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Instructor
#10960 Old 14th Oct 2021 at 6:05 PM
I had a dream where my subconscious came up with a feature I thought quite interesting. In the dream, sims could go on business trips for a couple of days in other neighbourhoods, one of my Strangetown-sims went to Pleasantview. But, since even my subconscious mind is wary of corruption, the way it worked was that the game made a copy of the sim that one played with during the trip, and then when returning to their home-hood some memories related to it were added to the original sim.

I am Error.
#10961 Old 14th Oct 2021 at 7:49 PM
I've returned to my hood today after not playing it since March 31st and, have to say, it was so easy to slide right back in.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Instructor
#10962 Old 14th Oct 2021 at 8:02 PM
I always thought sim teleportation was very dangerous based off Star Trek where the transporter kills you then rebuilds you.
Top Secret Researcher
#10963 Old 14th Oct 2021 at 8:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogrinder
I always thought sim teleportation was very dangerous based off Star Trek where the transporter kills you then rebuilds you.


That's not the way the transporter works in Star Trek. The transporter in Star Trek...well, basically, it rips you apart on a molecular level, but the "transporter field" keeps you cohesive and alive while sending your molecules somewhere else at light speed, where they are glued back together. Various episodes show characters talking while they are being transported, and there's even an episode where we see the POV of a character begin transported, and he stays alive the whole time.

It is however how a teleporter would work in real life; it's vaporize you and create a clone of you somewhere else.

Avatar by MasterRed
Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space- Bark!
retired moderator
#10964 Old 14th Oct 2021 at 8:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphalesion
That's not the way the transporter works in Star Trek. The transporter in Star Trek...well, basically, it rips you apart on a molecular level, but the "transporter field" keeps you cohesive and alive while sending your molecules somewhere else at light speed, where they are glued back together.

Apparently it makes a copy of your pattern which it stores in the pattern buffer. It can only do this because the Heisenberg compensator compensates for Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, so the computer can know where each particle of your body is, as well as its momentum. Then, it destroys your body, it's not clear where the matter from this goes. But not to worry, an energy beam is sent to the transport location and a copy of your body is materialised using matter-energy transference. If all goes well you won't even notice any difference, and may have the illusion of constant consciousness. If it goes wrong, then worst case scenario is that there may be an extra Riker in the universe.

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -RADIO- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Scholar
#10965 Old 14th Oct 2021 at 8:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kligma
I had a dream where my subconscious came up with a feature I thought quite interesting. In the dream, sims could go on business trips for a couple of days in other neighbourhoods, one of my Strangetown-sims went to Pleasantview. But, since even my subconscious mind is wary of corruption, the way it worked was that the game made a copy of the sim that one played with during the trip, and then when returning to their home-hood some memories related to it were added to the original sim.


This is how it worked in Dark Matter. If the clone didn't survive, the original remembered nothing except sleeping in a pod; if the clone made it back to the pod their end, the original got the memories.
Forum Resident
#10966 Old 14th Oct 2021 at 9:02 PM
Speaking of dreams, I was playing Dirk and Lucy, who are very poor, and she had the want to counterfeit simoleons. Well, the counterfeit machine caught on fire, which killed Dirk, which sent Lucy into aspiration failure. And then my game totally crashed. When I went back in, it was the start of the day and she didn't have the want anymore, and I figured it was all just a horrible nightmare she had had.
Theorist
#10967 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 3:06 AM
So apparently I have a habit of building a lot about 80-90% of the way, and then forgetting about it.

Just opened up my revamped Downtown yesterday and took a look at lots I was working on. I had been building there last year, but left it to go build in Pleasantview for a while. I left several lots unfinished. Except for replacements for missing cc (since I apparently also have a habit of removing things that I am actually using), a lot of the lot just needed lights, some artwork on the walls, and maybe a description. Seriously, 90% of a lot is done and then just nothing for a whole year. Am I the only one that does this?

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Forum Resident
#10968 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 1:08 AM
So I was rewatching Friends because nostalgia and I got to thinking that they would make a perfect set of starting Sims.

(And yes, I know Friends is problematic in lots of ways but nostalgia doesn't care about that, so...)

Ross-Knowledge
Monica-Family
Rachel-Fortune
Chandler-Popularity
Joey-Romance
Phoebe-Pleasure

I keep thinking it would be fun to start them in an apartment building and see what happens.
Mad Poster
#10969 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 1:14 AM
Do it. It could be fun. (Don't apologize for what you enjoy watching. There is no unproblematic media. Consuming problematic media is arguably the safest way to learn to recognize problematic things IRL).

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#10970 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 4:21 PM
Or stop overanalyzing things and just enjoy them! It gets tiring. Friends is awesome!

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Forum Resident
#10971 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 5:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pideli
Or stop overanalyzing things and just enjoy them! It gets tiring. Friends is awesome!


I really wasn't overanalyzing. It's just that a lot of times you say you like something on the Internet and a lot of people come along to tell you why you shouldn't like it--that's tiring too. Maybe not on this forum, but on many forums that happens.

I do enjoy Friends. It takes me back to a time in my life that I miss. I never even thought about it being problematic until I guess they had an anniversary and suddenly there were all these articles about its issues. But it was the 90s. If you're going to look at it that way, then everything made before a certain date is going to be problematic in some way or another.

Anyway, to tie this back to the Sims, when I was rewatching it, I thought it was just perfect how it had six characters and each one seemed to align so neatly with a different aspiration.
Forum Resident
#10972 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 9:35 PM
I saw my sister rewatching Friends a few days ago. She's a big fan, she even has this big mug with the logo of that cafe(?) they're always at. It has its issues, like a lot of things do, no piece of media is perfect. You shouldn't have to feel ashamed of enjoying something as long as it's legal.

As for random thoughts, I've started creating a less ambitious custom hood than another one I was making (still working on it, but the progress is slow). I've been having fun with it, but the planning is slowly making it clear that the teen llifestage is my favourite. Every household so far has at least one teen! I might have to inject some variety

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Forum Resident
#10973 Old 24th Oct 2021 at 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalFlame360
As for random thoughts, I've started creating a less ambitious custom hood than another one I was making (still working on it, but the progress is slow). I've been having fun with it, but the planning is slowly making it clear that the teen llifestage is my favourite. Every household so far has at least one teen! I might have to inject some variety


So this is funny, but I was thinking this morning that I know enough about each character in Friends that I could start them as teens in their families. I feel like I get closer to my Sims when I start them at a younger life stage and play them through college to adults. Ok, this is turning into a project, am I actually going to have to go into CAS now?
Mad Poster
#10974 Old 24th Oct 2021 at 5:49 PM
I had the same feeling for Sedona, where 4 men were pregnant with alien twins. So I created a pair of nuns, and 4 toddler boys. The boys have all graduated college, 3 have wives, and 2 are pregnant. Does make me care about and know them better.
==================== AND
I garden every day, I Sim every day. Waking up I thought I should transplant some Sims bushes and flowers to MY garden. My flowers get eaten by bugs, and nothing lasts for decades. Seemed perfectly logical to me..for a minute.

Namaste... or "go"
Mad Poster
#10975 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 5:41 AM
Finished binging Avatar: The Last Airbender as well as The Legend of Korra this last week (and I can easily see why they both get such high praise from so many sides, especially ATLA!)... now I'm thinking I need to wrap up a couple current projects so I can start in on the east-asian inspired locations for my high fantasy world! Westfall and Stormwall and the Iron Circle are certainly fun kingdoms to play around with, but I'm thinking I can get a lot of mileage out of various architectural elements from Avatar in starting work on the Court of the Three Emperors in Te Jian soon!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Page 439 of 445
Back to top