Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: should cats/dogs wear clothes?
Yes
0 0%
No
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Sep 2020 at 12:49 AM
pet clothes??
is anyone against pets ie dogs/cats wearing clothes??,. (inside or outside sims)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Sep 2020 at 3:36 AM
I'm not, though I find it a bit unnecessary what with cats and dogs having fur.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

#3 Old 4th Oct 2020 at 6:32 AM
I have to do little sweaters made of socks for my parrot some times because she picks at her feathers. She looks adorable in them and it fosters new feather growth! And sometimes I can enter her into pet costume contests, hahaha.

Here's an especially elaborate one of Apus from Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch if you wanted to see her.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Oct 2020 at 1:41 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 5th Oct 2020 at 1:57 AM.
If they have proper fur/feathers and technically don't need clothes, then the clothes are probably just going to be in the way and/or annoying for them, so I'd say in most cases pet clothes are just a gimmicky thing to make you spend lots of money on your pet. If it's just to make them look "cute", then I'm not for it, because it's completely unnecessary, and I'm pretty sure most of them aren't too fond of it.

Animals have clothes, and it's called "fur" and "feathers". If you put clothes over the fur or feathers, their actual clothes do a worse job because they can't pouf up the feathers or rise/lower the fur when they need to. The hairs are connected to tiny muscles. When you get "goosebumps" and hairs rising up on your arms when you're cold, that's actually the same function, but for animals it works a bit better since they have a lot more hair, with the hair poufing up. So as long as they have plenty of fur, they don't freeze. They're more likely to freeze if you put clothes on them... If you live a place where it's warm, remember that the same goes for cooling down. Dogs (possibly also cats?) cool through regulating their fur, but sweat through breathing, so you don't want them in clothes on a warm day. Best let them regulate their own temperature...

If the clothes have a clear purpose and is actually doing the animal a favor, for instance if a bird picks at their feathers (and there's nothing else you can do to get them off that habit - as I understand, they often start because they're bored and/or in a bad environment, and if they've done it for a while it's very difficult to get them to stop, even if you change their condition to the better), or if they have very little or no fur to begin with and they need help to keep warm, or if it's for an event (I guess something like Halloween would be fine), then clothes would be fine. Maybe not all the time, though - depends on the situation.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Oct 2020 at 6:07 PM
I have seen cats wear baby shirts if they were attack on their side.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Scholar
#6 Old 20th Oct 2020 at 6:43 PM
Yeah but some dogs might need them when they're living in countries and environments they're not supposed to be in. Like have you seen a sloughi or a greyhound dog out walking in winter with its owners? The poor dog risks being blown away with the winds on a normal day so like, a dog shaped and sized coat could probs help in winter. But I could be wrong since I know nothing about most animals
Mad Poster
#7 Old 20th Oct 2020 at 9:16 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 20th Oct 2020 at 9:31 PM.
^ See the comment about clothes being fine if it has a purpose

Although, if someone live in a very rough climate, I think it's important to keep in mind the type of dog they're getting. If they're planning to walk the dog in the middle of snowy winters for several months, perhaps best to not get a dog that is going to half freeze to death five minutes after stepping out the door (clothes don't help as much as fur does). Same if summers are extreme - maybe don't get a dog that struggles with thick fur coats or other heat problems (could depend on the dog - some can have their fur trimmed if it gets too bad, but others are bred for a cold climate and might not thrive in warm conditions).

---

By the way - in Sims, do whatever - it's just a game, there are clothes and costumes included, have fun.
Test Subject
#8 Old 12th Nov 2020 at 4:27 AM Last edited by Lyralei : 13th Nov 2020 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Removing unnecessary link
Coats and sweaters on dogs should only be worn if needed when they are outside in very cold weather. Dogs should not wear these clothing items in the house as they can overheat easily.