Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 3:48 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default The Sims 2 keeps Crashing on Windows 7
(please read everything)
System Specs:
Operating system - Windows 7 (64 bit)
Processor: intel core i3 2.4ghz
RAM: 4GB
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 (total memory 2705mb)

I have every expansion pack installed and they are all patched. I don't have any stuff packs besides glamour life.

So my issue is that when i run the sims 2 apartment life, it'll load up until "generating compatible roomates" and then it will crash and little box that says "This application has crashed, the application will now terminate" pops up right after that part of the loading screen every single time.

I was able to play the sims 2 just fine after i installed it, but then this started happening (and when i played it, it was on compatibility mode -xp service pack 3 - and as an administrator.) I don't know why it started happening. The only thing i can think of is that i have registry booster (from uniblue) installed, and i scan my computer regularly, so maybe something to do with the registry, but idk why that would cause that to happen to the sims 2. Oh, and i had custom content, but it was fine, and then suddenly, it would do this.

Anyway, to fix this issue i've tried several things. I followed that guide on here with all the steps that i needed to follow, and that didn't work. So i just tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling the game and the expansions only without any custom content this time, and i even patched everything too. Since i ran the game before on compatability mode and as an administrator, i set the game to run that way again, but the same thing happened.

I tried to fix it on my own so many times but nothing seemed to work, so i was hoping that someone here could help me out. thank you in advanced to anyone that does.

And lastly, i got the laptop like 5 days ago, so it's not broken or old.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 3:52 AM
UPDATE: I tried restoring my registry to a date where it was still working, but that didn't work.
shiny!
retired moderator
#3 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 3:50 PM
You do not need to run the game on compatibility mode, so I'm not sure where you go that from. You do need to patch however, which was part of the guide. Ever expansion and one of the stuff packs has their own individual patch.

When you reinstalled did you also remove or delete both EA Games folders (one in Program Files and one in My Docs)? The one in My Docs contains your saved games so you need to make a backup before you remove them if you don't want to lose them, but you do need to remove them as part of the test. Guide outlines how to do this.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Mar 2011 at 5:23 AM
Thank you for trying to help me.

I did download all the patches, and installed them. And yes i did that too, which is why i'm so confused about why this is happening. I think i'm just gonna do a complete restore on my laptop because now the sims 3's sound has completely stopped working (and it's not an issue with the driver or anything)
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 15th Mar 2011 at 1:39 AM
As callistra knows I have had problems with crashing since March 28, 2009 (found my reciept of computer upgrades). The issue turned out to be Digital Rights Management due the fact I upgraded my computer about 4 different times. If you upgrade your system EA thinks you are putting it on another computer and after about four times thinking I put the game on another computer it stopped working so I have been told...

"In the game of Life". It is better to aim at something and risk a miss, than it is to aim at nothing and hit.
Scholar
#6 Old 15th Mar 2011 at 2:21 PM
I run on windows 7 and I'venever put my game in compatability mode and I don't have these problems, try it without that.
Test Subject
#7 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 4:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by woodenbear
As callistra knows I have had problems with crashing since March 28, 2009 (found my reciept of computer upgrades). The issue turned out to be Digital Rights Management due the fact I upgraded my computer about 4 different times. If you upgrade your system EA thinks you are putting it on another computer and after about four times thinking I put the game on another computer it stopped working so I have been told...

Can I ask how you confirmed that this was a DRM issue? I'm having problems with my daughter's install of SIMS2 since upgrading her to W7 64bit and the box has now been rebuilt several times since the game was first installed. It was a fresh install so I hadn't considered DRM until I saw your post, now I'm thinking I should eliminate that before going ahead and posting all the specs and wasting people's time! The game (patched SIMS 2, no expansion packs applied as yet) starts up the intro video which looks great and then hangs before it finishes loading. This would be consistent with a DRM check step.

TIA
Field Researcher
#8 Old 17th May 2020 at 8:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hypatia
Can I ask how you confirmed that this was a DRM issue? I'm having problems with my daughter's install of SIMS2 since upgrading her to W7 64bit and the box has now been rebuilt several times since the game was first installed. It was a fresh install so I hadn't considered DRM until I saw your post, now I'm thinking I should eliminate that before going ahead and posting all the specs and wasting people's time! The game (patched SIMS 2, no expansion packs applied as yet) starts up the intro video which looks great and then hangs before it finishes loading. This would be consistent with a DRM check step.

TIA

How do I get rid of DRM? I have a custom-built PC running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, with a Core 2 Quad Q9650 3GHz CPU, 16GB(2x 8GB's) DDR3-1600 Memory and a Visiontek ATI Radeon HD 5450 2GB Video Card installed, I have the following The Sims 2 games:
The Sims 2 Deluxe, Seasons Expansion Pack, The Sims 2 Best of Business Collection, The Sims 2 University Life Collection, The Sims 2 Glamour Life Stuff Pack, Bon Voyage Expansion Pack, and Apartment Life Expansion Pack!
And I did not set any compatibility mode settings, but that's a stupid policy regarding hardware upgrades, EA needs to stop acting like a child about this and realize that it's commonplace for people to upgrade their PC hardware!

And if anyone here works for EA/Maxis then I suggest you heed my advice and listen to all of our justified complaints!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th May 2020 at 9:42 PM
Firstly, maybe leave the zombies alone and make a new topic? This one is 9 years old... Honestly, how do people manage to dig these up?

Also, you do realize TS2 technically isn't compatible with Win7 and up according to the requirements? I'm fairly sure Vista was the newest OS when AL and M&G came out. Doesn't mean you can't make the games run on newer Windows versions, just that they may have issues. Because... well, Windows. EA aren't psychic, so they can't make the game compatible with an OS in the future (but Windows could get better at the backwards-compatible thing). I've never had any issues with Win7 and TS2 in particular (apart from a Nvidia issue), and pretty sure I had all compatibility modes turned off, including admin. I had CDs and the DRM seemed to never be an issue on that computer or my previous one with Vista or the one with XP (but SecuROM has been an issue for some people, and it has been a problem on Win10 in particular - but not so much it isn't possible to solve).

There are ways to remove SecuROM, one is to completely remove it and then only install up to but not including BV, because those didn't have SecuRoM (only works for single CDs, as collection CDs have SecuROM). Another way is to use the UC version that doesn't have SecuROM. It can be removed in other ways - but I haven't had any reason to try them out. Some links below that might be helpful.

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6688 (securom and win10)
http://modthesims.info/t/564916 (a few links and some info)
You can also try to Google "Sims 2 remove securom"

There used to be a site called "reclaim your game" or some such - the links for it don't seem to go to that site any longer, possibly due to an outdated website, so be a bit careful.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 19th May 2020 at 10:04 PM
I've had that. You might have a hidden virus on your computer. My problem was a virus was installed on my computer that the anti-virus software didn't recognize as a virus when my niece loaded youtube to mp3 converter on my computer without my permission.