Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#101 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 1:30 AM Last edited by xerendipity : 6th Sep 2009 at 12:51 PM.
Ah, thank you srikandi. Actually, I think it was just a problem with that one file.

Now, my last question please (hopefully): is there sims-specific tutorial or program for creating brand-spanking new objects? I would love to add to existing meshes, but when I do, the number of items in the group change and I need a pointer on this as well.

Thanks again!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#102 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 4:55 PM
Please, some pics, somebody don't understan english very good
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#103 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xerendipity
I would love to add to existing meshes, but when I do, the number of items in the group change and I need a pointer on this as well.

In Milkshape, once you have finished your mesh, you select all the groups in your mesh and click the regroup button (to regroup them to one group) and rename, export, etc.

note: I would save the Milkshape file before you do this, so you have an ungrouped copy just in case you need to make changes later.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#104 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 2:30 AM
Thank you so much cmomoney - really, you have been a doll.

I thought too that there would be a group function like in ppt , but the closest thing I saw was weld, which I did, but still no cigar. Now, if I am under, i just make a tiny little sphere somewhere unnoticeble. If I'm over though, I'm still stuck.

Right now I am working on 'curves' (which is no easy feat) on a brand new object. The only thing though ... once I finish it - how do I get the game to recognize it? Is there a program for that?

Thanks!!!
Alchemist
#105 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 2:51 AM
At present, all "new" objects are remanufactured old ones. You clone an object that has the right number of groups and materials and gameplay, and you remake the mesh and textures to make it something new, replacing the old mesh with your new creation. If the group count matches, this works just fine.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Test Subject
#106 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 5:34 PM
Thanks Wes for your response, but mostly for your wonderful program.

Next question? WHy yes, I don't mind if I do :D. Is there something similar to a copy and paste function in MS3D? I have used Duplicate Selection, but I can't find a way of inserting anything.

Once again, (and not just to blow air up your ... way), thank you for the kind attention and patience you responders display toward us noobs!
Alchemist
#107 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 6:45 PM
Duplicate Selection is as close as you get, unless you count exporting and importing parts pieces as .obj files.

The regrouping can all be done at the end of the creation process, until then having lots of extra groups can be your friend. Because you can select by group, having different parts in different groups is handy.

MilkShape is a "subdivision modeler". Meaning it is designed to be it's most useful from subdividing faces. You can build whole characters by starting with 5 cylinders and a sphere, then dividing faces and moving the vertices into place. Objects require not much more imagination, some boxes and spheres and cylinders, welded together and then pulled into shape and you have a widget.

Of course, how well you pull them into shape, and especially how well you color it all when you are done will determine how good it is. Like all art, it takes a little bit of technical skill to manage your brushes and paints and such, but the eye of the artist is where the magic is.

<* Wes *>

Oh, and don't fret about n00bness. One of you n00b guys or gals will be writing a tutorial about doing this stuff in a few weeks. I don't yet know who, but I can almost guarantee it will happen.

Test Subject
#108 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 11:43 PM
When I select the folder where the Sims3 is located, and push ok, it says this in a new window:

Cannot find "GameData\Shared\Packages\FullBuild0.package"
in "C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Desktop\The Sims 3 9-7-09"

Do you know what's happening and what I can do? I tried coppying the folder to the desktop after it wouldn't find it in My Documents but that still didn't work.

My signature that won't show up as an image but only as a url:
http://i26.tinypic.com/8wk5n5.png
Alchemist
#109 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 1:31 AM
FullBuild0.package is not in MyDocuments or on the desktop, it is in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3

Test Subject
#110 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 2:25 AM
Thanks I got it up and going!

My signature that won't show up as an image but only as a url:
http://i26.tinypic.com/8wk5n5.png
Test Subject
#111 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 6:59 PM
"Now go to your documents and find the folder with your just exported files in; you need to right click on them one by and choose “open with” then click “browse”, you now need to locate the modld application extracted from WesH’s Object Tools. When you do this a LOT more file should appear, the only one you are interested in is the .mcfg file, there should be one .mcfg per MLOD or MODL, these are your meshes that need to go into milkshape.
*NOTE: it is a good idea to put each MLOD and MODL file into their own folder before running them through modld so you don’t have too many confusing mixed up files."

I don't understand this step of the tutorial....I can't found any modld application...Where is locate?...Can you help me please?
Alchemist
#112 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 7:15 PM
The tutorial needs changed, you use the decompile button now, which didn't exist when the tute was written. See this post:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...407#post2837407.

Test Subject
#113 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 7:38 PM Last edited by sims2sisters : 8th Sep 2009 at 11:32 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by WesHowe
The tutorial needs changed, you use the decompile button now, which didn't exist when the tute was written. See this post:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...407#post2837407.

I had already realized just few minutes ago but anyway thanks for your help of sure I'll need more help in future(I never make new mesh for the sims yet)!!
Forum Resident
#114 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 10:37 PM
Need help again, sorry

I followed everything but I'm lost in step 7. I found the part mask that is already red and green, that is how it's supposed to be. What exactly are we supposed to do with the Part Mask?
Test Subject
#115 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 8:12 AM
I done my mesh but now I would like to know if my new mesh overwrite the old mesh in the game, I really don't wanna that my mesh overwrite the old one.....
Forum Resident
#116 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 4:14 PM
Since it's a clone and if you followed the instructions I see no way your mesh overwrite the original one. My meshes overwrite nothing.

Someone knows the answer to my previous question? sorry for being such a pain
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#117 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lanawinst
Need help again, sorry

I followed everything but I'm lost in step 7. I found the part mask that is already red and green, that is how it's supposed to be. What exactly are we supposed to do with the Part Mask?

If your texture map matches the clones texture map(as far as what parts you want to be CAStable), then you don't have to edit the part map. If not, you can paint the your texture map using the colors of the part mask. Whatever you paint RGBred will be the first CAStable part, RGBgreen = second, and so on. Once finished, flatten the image and save the DDS file as your part mask(don't overwrite your texture map ).

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Forum Resident
#118 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 7:01 PM
Thank you for such a detailled answer. Now, I can go back to my meshing
Test Subject
#119 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 4:18 AM Last edited by xerendipity : 10th Sep 2009 at 11:05 AM.
Luv you guys. Love my stuff!

Whew - Really wanted to say that, but you know me by know and that I can't leave without picking your brains a little more.

There are times within a particular mesh that I would like it to go one of several ways, so I would like to save it at that point and then pick it up, make it into one version, pick it up again, make it into another version, etc. etc. How do I do this? Until now, each time I try, I get an error message upon finalizing in S3OC (something about resources). The first version of the object gets created, but then I have to start all the way from point A to take the design in another direction. Thoughts? Tips? Hints?

Second question: I used to sit there and mesh every single one of the mcfg files seperately (normally four per object) in painstaking detail, until I discovered that on some items I didn't have to. However, can I, in theory, after I export my changes over mcfg 1, then turn around and export the same changes OVER mcfg 2 (and so on) or will this not work?

THANK YOU again, and again, and again!

P.S.:

My fully working and recolorable "Electric Guitar" here: lol!

And my Japanese bath:
Mad Poster
#120 Old 11th Sep 2009 at 8:15 AM
Okay, question time. I've exported my mesh, but I'm now confused. Do I recompile the .mcfg now?
Test Subject
#121 Old 11th Sep 2009 at 2:04 PM
Riblan, yes.

Do the same thing you did with decompile, only now with recompile.
Forum Resident
#122 Old 11th Sep 2009 at 6:53 PM
I have another question. Only one of the two groups of my mesh are visible. But the mesh in itself is functionnal:

Does it have something to do with the :"UV scaling overflow" message that I had or is it something else?
Test Subject
#123 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lanawinst
I have another question. Only one of the two groups of my mesh are visible. But the mesh in itself is functionnal:

Does it have something to do with the :"UV scaling overflow" message that I had or is it something else?

Lanawinst:

I would take a guess and say that that part of your mesh is still 'untextured'. In the Materials tab (while on your first mcfg), assign a texture to it. There is a great and simple tutorial on how ... here: http:/www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Tutorials:3D_Meshing_Part_III

Now I have a question :

Are bed animations part of the mcfg's I am editing or are they somewhere else? I've made a lovely little mattress, only to discover in-game that my Sim is still at regular-bed height when he sleeps.

(also ... does anyone know answers to previous questions)?

A big thanks in advance!
Alchemist
#124 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 10:45 PM
I think the target for where your Sims sleep is based on the joint locations, those are in the _RIG file and are not readily changeable. While joints locations are included in the mesh file, they aren't "set" from that file, they are used just to map the different parts of the mesh to the joints (the assignments).

Lab Assistant
#125 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 5:16 PM
When i make a new object, in the game, the new mesh has all the patterns that were on the object i cloned from. What can i do to delete the old patterns (that were in the object i used to clone) from my new package?
Locked thread | Locked by: HugeLunatic Reason: Outdated ... Please see wiki for more up-to-date tutorial
Page 5 of 8