Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#301 Old 30th Nov 2019 at 7:30 PM
Default I'd really like to help you with the coding
Quote: Originally posted by simmythesim
Hey! This is a thing that definitely exists lol.

I got so burned out from this mod that I sometimes regret starting it. That's why it's gone silent for a long time. I'm sorry that I didn't return here sooner.

I found the files for you.

Documentation

SimFileShare Link

Anyway, it's time for me to spill the beans. What this tool does is to decompress every single resource in the game. It does reduce CPU usage, at the expense of requiring a fast SSD.

Warning though, the Game File Copier and ConvertedCopier programs only works with the Steam version of the game. For every other platform/version, you'll have to copy each FullBuild and DeltaBuild to the Converted folder, then after they're decomperessed, copy them back in to their original file locations.

What depressed me so much is that after several months of effort, it only affected TS3 Live Mode and BB specifically. TS3 CAS and World Loading wasn't affected much, as most of their CPU time appears to be spent calculating stuff, not waiting for things to come off the disk.

Hey simmythesim,
I'm amazed by your commitment and I'd like to you help you with the coding of this marvelous project.

I tested it and it's working very fine for me. Much less lag and so much faster loading of objects, when I'm entering a household.
I already wrote some Bash-scripts for handeling the Origin-Installation of Sims 3 and automating some stuff for it as well (creating backup, installing the converted files and reinstalling the backup if necessary).
Please tell me how I can help you. I'm a full-time software-developer and a Sims-Fan ever since, and thanks to you Sims 3 is much more accessible again :lovestruc
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#302 Old 30th Nov 2019 at 8:57 PM
I'm doing it now but I only have 8 threads on my cpu so :D... I can't read instructions so I oopsie set the threads to max 8 I hope my computer don't explode....
Field Researcher
#304 Old 1st Dec 2019 at 12:45 AM Last edited by tysika : 1st Dec 2019 at 5:56 AM.
On the converter program I set it to my maximum available threads. It ended up going fine and my computer didn't explode It did lag horribly though.

EDIT: I used the tool and game does seem smoother like on speed 3 on my big save. I haven't played a lot yet but I notice the pillow fighting animation is borked? It doesn't work properly anymore. Can anyone else test this?
Field Researcher
#305 Old 4th Dec 2019 at 11:58 AM
What if you have a mix of Origin and Steam installs? (And some from discs?) My game is a conglomeration of these things based on what was on sale when!
Field Researcher
#306 Old 7th Dec 2019 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pjsutton
What if you have a mix of Origin and Steam installs? (And some from discs?) My game is a conglomeration of these things based on what was on sale when!

You can still do it manually, just manually put deltabuild and fullbuild into the conversion folder and then back to their originating locations.
Field Researcher
#307 Old 17th Dec 2019 at 3:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tysika
You can still do it manually, just manually put deltabuild and fullbuild into the conversion folder and then back to their originating locations.

I have all these files that are in multiple parts. It seems to have put them back into the original folders but I don't notice any difference - I'm not sure the game is actually using them...
Field Researcher
#308 Old 18th Dec 2019 at 2:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pjsutton
I have all these files that are in multiple parts. It seems to have put them back into the original folders but I don't notice any difference - I'm not sure the game is actually using them...

I also didn't notice much difference (a lil faster on speed 3), but I know the game was using the file because it broke several game objects and an animation. I replaced the converted file that was the culprit and it returned to normal. Then again, I didn't really have lag to begin with, and most of my stutters are from nraas sp... But reading this thread I could see some people really benefited from it.
Mad Poster
#309 Old 22nd Dec 2019 at 11:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by __blue__
Hey simmythesim,
I'm amazed by your commitment and I'd like to you help you with the coding of this marvelous project.

I tested it and it's working very fine for me. Much less lag and so much faster loading of objects, when I'm entering a household.
I already wrote some Bash-scripts for handeling the Origin-Installation of Sims 3 and automating some stuff for it as well (creating backup, installing the converted files and reinstalling the backup if necessary).
Please tell me how I can help you. I'm a full-time software-developer and a Sims-Fan ever since, and thanks to you Sims 3 is much more accessible again :lovestruc

@simmythesim

Did you see this?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#310 Old 23rd Dec 2019 at 1:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
@simmythesim

Did you see this?

Yep! I even sent the source code to them, but they never replied after that.
Mad Poster
#311 Old 23rd Dec 2019 at 1:57 AM

I can only hope that they’re tied up with real-life, but oh well- the opportunity will present itself again in the future!
Test Subject
#312 Old 25th Dec 2019 at 12:00 AM
So, I just tried this and I gotta say, DUDE I LOVE YOU FOR THIS! I didn't have any lag as far as I could tell and things ran like butter in live and build/buy mode, which is mostly what I do. I only had enough room on my ssd for the base game and the EPs I play the most tho, but I am definitely going to get a bigger ssd for my next set up so I can put everthing on there. currently have all the none converted EP's on an hdd and have them symlinked back to the EA install folder, but the game seems to work okie dokie using a mix of converted and non converted EPs across multiple drives. This has me very pleased! Thank you for releasing this!
Only hickup was how the program stayed in a state of "not responding" while it worked, but I left it alone for a while and when I came back it was done processing and everthing in the game seems to be working fine.
Test Subject
#313 Old 7th Jan 2020 at 4:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
I can only hope that they’re tied up with real-life, but oh well- the opportunity will present itself again in the future!

Still alive, but like you've guessed, tied up with real-life.
Lab Assistant
#314 Old 8th Jan 2020 at 2:47 AM
Good luck to blue and simmy! This mod has a lot of potential. Can't wait until it's ready for a public release
Theorist
#315 Old 12th Jan 2020 at 4:31 PM
Looking at post303....does this require an SSD?

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#316 Old 12th Jan 2020 at 4:44 PM
I've tried the tool on both an SSD and an HDD. Effectively, yes it does. It takes more than long enough on the SSD.
Then again, it's 2020. There's really no valid reason whatsoever to not use an SSD.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#317 Old 12th Jan 2020 at 5:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
I've tried the tool on both an SSD and an HDD. Effectively, yes it does. It takes more than long enough on the SSD.
Then again, it's 2020. There's really no valid reason whatsoever to not use an SSD.

Yes there is, not everyone is lucky/privileged enough to be able to afford upgrading their computer. For some of us other things take priority... Food, shelter, transportation.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Mad Poster
#318 Old 12th Jan 2020 at 5:41 PM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 12th Jan 2020 at 5:52 PM.
You're saying that as if they were only invented last month. SSDs have been the standard for data storage for many years. The last time I personally had a PC without one was 2012. I don't think they even sell pre-builts without them anymore, not for a while now.

I had a look at some retailers' websites to see how many desktop PCs they still sell without an SSD. Out of the 403 PCs on sale, only 6 didn't have one.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#319 Old 12th Jan 2020 at 5:57 PM
No I'm not saying that as if they are new. You don't seem to realize that to some people 100$ (American) or more is not going to work in their budget just because you think it should. For some people adding 10 to their monthly bills will break them.

Also my computer is only about 3 years old, definitely not top of the line, no ssd, but serves my needs.

This is probably not the place for this argument, but I found your statement to be privleged. You may be able to afford things easily, and good for you, but many people can't.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Mad Poster
#320 Old 12th Jan 2020 at 7:20 PM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 12th Jan 2020 at 7:59 PM.
I knew you were going to assume I'm rich or something. I have monthly expenses too, and the last time I bought a piece of hardware it cost me all my savings. But basic 256GB SSDs sell for well under €50 and have come pre-installed with affordable PCs for years. So it's perfectly reasonable of me to assume that everyone with an interest in gaming has one.

For the record: HDDs are much better value for storing large amounts of data, and will be for a few years to come. Affordable 1TB SSDs are slowly starting to become available, but they're still more expensive than a 5-6TB HDD. That's not really what they're for, either. SSDs are mostly for storing system data, documents, and select games. I'm fortunate to have two 512GB specimens, which are large enough to contain my Windows, my documents, and all of my Sims games plus a small library of others. But they're pretty full, I regularly have to clean crap up to keep them out of the red.

insert signature here
Scholar
#321 Old 18th Feb 2020 at 5:46 AM
I tried this mod for a while and I definitely see a speed in CAS and the thumbnails in Buy/Build mode loads up much faster, but it did 'break' a couple of WA windows, e.g the glass disappears. As soon as I put back the original delta and full build files etc, the windows worked again.
I'm hoping you'll continue to work on this mod, it has great potential and I'd use it again because I was impressed with the speed but I do like my windows lol
Mad Poster
#323 Old 18th Feb 2020 at 8:19 AM
As a rule of thumb, I think, the more we can have the game load stuff directly into RAM instead of streaming it off an SSD, the better it will do. The game is inherently "optimized" to take up less space than it could, which results in it taking more time instead. It makes sense in the context of a base game running on a medium-spec PC in 2010 or so, but doesn't make any sense with today's hardware, with our larger storage capacities, 8 gigabytes of RAM minimum, and SSDs being standard.

Semi-relevant question: I have my game install on one SSD and my game documents on another. Would there be any benefit at all to having both on the same drive?
And again, it works fine with ANY type of install. Not just Steam installs. I don't know why people keep saying it's Steam only, because it's not.

insert signature here
Test Subject
#325 Old 18th Feb 2020 at 9:16 AM
Okay, so, quick question for using this with Origin rather than Steam. I converted all the files in my base game folder (for me, that's all the files in F:\Games\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\Packages). Am I supposed to run this on all the files in the various EP + SP folders too? (eg. F:\Games\The Sims 3 Ambitions\GameData\Shared\Packages). Does the game use those too, or just the files in the Base Game folder? One assumes the former? I suspect this is why I only saw the bare minimum of improvement, if I am supposed to do all the EP folders too.
Page 13 of 14