Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 7:52 PM Last edited by PhoenixJuly : 31st Jul 2021 at 11:12 AM.
Default File size
I have used certain cc hair a few times but they suddenly disappeared from the game and Bodyshop even though the mesh and recolors are still in the downloads folder. And I tried to reinstall. HCDUplus does not show conflicts. What could be the problem?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 8:35 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 29th Jul 2021 at 4:48 PM.
Do you know if it's a high-poly hair? Hairs over a certain polycount (25-30k and above) need the "boolProp UseShaders true" cheat enabled to show up properly, or they'll appear bald ingame and in loading screens, possibly also in Bodyshop.

If you use a lot of subfolder layers, and/or the files have very long names, it could be the filepaths are too long for the game to read them, especially if you've moved files around lately and the issues started after moving the files. The game seems to only be able to deal with file paths that are less than 256 characters long in all, and I think some special characters may be counted as extra characters in file paths, so if you can avoid those (anything else than letter, numbers and underscores) that's helpful too.

After a reinstall you have to enable CC and restart your game to make CC show up, so make sure to do that. You also have to do this if you install a new pack, and I think if you install patches too (been a while since I had to install CDs...)

And make sure it's the correct Downloads folder.
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection\Downloads
or
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads
Depending on game version. If you've installed the game somewhere else on your computer, the not bolded text could be a bit different.
Windows 7 and above adds a Public folder, and Windows 10 adds a OneDrive folder that sometimes has a Documents folder, sometimes with an EA Games and The Sims 2 folder in it (usually empty) - but the correct folder should not say "public" or "OneDrive" anywhere.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 10:40 PM
Permissions can get screwed up or changed with updates.
Make sure you have complete ownership of the Sims 2 folder in My Documents.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Jul 2021 at 1:50 PM
I played with this hair before. I didn't reinstall the game or move anything. There's no even "bald version" of this hair they just disappeared. Sims who were using them changed hair too.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 29th Jul 2021 at 4:50 PM
PC or Mac? There's a file limit on Macs for downloads (there's ways to get around it), so that's useful to know if you have a lot of CC.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 11:12 AM
So I noticed one recolor weighs 1 mb in the original download but in my downloads folder it's 300kb. I deleted it, redownloaded and then hair showed up. I didn't do anything with the files, any ideas why the size has changed?
Mad Poster
#7 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 6:03 PM
Could be one of the files was compressed.

Uncompressed files with one 1024x1024 texture will usually be roughly 1 MB, and when compressed they'll often be around 300-600 KB, depending on whether it's a mesh or recolor file, and the complexity of the texture (a mesh or a more complex texture gives a bigger file).
Forum Resident
#8 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 6:55 PM
Sometimes I just have my game breaking files on its own, they'll start missing properties inside the file and stop working without me doing anything to them aside of using them normally in game. Reinstalling the file is the only fix for that. Just throwing that out here as possibility of what could have happened to your file(s) too. I never figured out why it happens so I've just accepted that my game in particular likes breaking files and there's nothing I can do about it except keep backups so I can reinstall whatever gets broken.