Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th May 2020 at 6:27 PM
Default Why do some recolors look great and others look degraded?
Thank you so much for any help, My posters look great when using photographs/art but looks really degraded when using textures from TS4 render art. I use photoshop cc 2019 to edit my images, am I not saving my PNG images correctly? It doesnt matter if I am saving it as DXT 1 or DXT 3 or sharpening it as "smooth" or "none"..it looks the same in my game. Ive used the tutorial Here

For example, photographs look crystal clear:

BUT render photos like this one, looks very degraded in game. Am I not saving my PNGs correctly?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th May 2020 at 7:56 PM
Doesn't look particularly bad to me.
Use DXT3 (DXT5 works too, but isn't really needed unless there's transparency), sharpen as None.

Could be some settings in the TXMT that's messing with the light, giving the yellowish tone (there's some of it on the movie poster too). The size of the texture could also have a say (I'd imagine 1024x1024 for this size object would give the best result - 2048 is a bit much). The result will be more grainy the closer you get, so I guess you'll have to decide on a compromize. There's no point in making the texture any larger if you're going to see the item on a distance, but if you plan on being extremely close up it could have a say.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th May 2020 at 5:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Doesn't look particularly bad to me.
Use DXT3 (DXT5 works too, but isn't really needed unless there's transparency), sharpen as None.

Could be some settings in the TXMT that's messing with the light, giving the yellowish tone (there's some of it on the movie poster too). The size of the texture could also have a say (I'd imagine 1024x1024 for this size object would give the best result - 2048 is a bit much). The result will be more grainy the closer you get, so I guess you'll have to decide on a compromize. There's no point in making the texture any larger if you're going to see the item on a distance, but if you plan on being extremely close up it could have a say.

Thank you so much! I think i got the issue figured out.

My other problem is that some of the images look great when close up but when i zoom out in-game the poster looks blurrier and blurrier. I use DTX3 with sharpening set to "none". I thought using DTX3 I wouldnt need to manually update the mipmaps, or unless i am doing something else incorrectly?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th May 2020 at 3:19 PM
You shouldn't have to manually update mipmaps with DXT1, 3 or 5.

Is the difference to the point of "glasses on VS glasses off" or is it just a bit more blurry in a "see it if you know about it" kind of way? The whole point of the mipmaps is so the object won't constantly use the larger map and thereby using a lot of resources. Switching to a smaller mipmap means less resource use when zooming out.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th May 2020 at 4:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
You shouldn't have to manually update mipmaps with DXT1, 3 or 5.

Is the difference to the point of "glasses on VS glasses off" or is it just a bit more blurry in a "see it if you know about it" kind of way? The whole point of the mipmaps is so the object won't constantly use the larger map and thereby using a lot of resources. Switching to a smaller mipmap means less resource use when zooming out.

Thanks! I think i figured it out, I accidentally used "smooth" on some of the pictures and that was the reason. Smooth and dxt1 makes it look awful.