Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Sep 2019 at 5:54 PM
Default Testers needed - Blender support in CAS Tools via Collada dae import/export
I've gotten Collada dae mesh import/export working in CAS Tools, but it needs lots more testing, hopefully by people who actually use Blender. It's quite likely that I've missed problems because I know only the absolute basics of Blender.

Tested mostly with Blender 2.78 but should work with any fairly recent version that supports Collada.

A note about mesh normals and Blender:

- Blender's Collada import does not import custom normals. (This was reported years ago but they haven't fixed it and probably never will.) I've worked around this so that meshes will import into Blender without lines caused by uv seams, but there will be visible seams between mesh parts. On import back into CAS Tools seams at the neck, waist, and ankles as well as the seams between mesh parts will be corrected. For the majority of CAS items this will give good results.

- Blender's Collada export does export custom normals correctly. If your mesh needs custom normals and you can do them in Blender, it should work.

And a note about mesh orientation:

- I've compensated for meshing tools that use Z_up orientation but if you import a mesh and it's rotated weirdly, please report the tool you're using and upload the dae mesh.

While I've written and tested this specifically for Blender, it should work with any meshing program that supports Collada natively or with plugins, like Maya, 3DS Max, Marvelous Designer, Wings 3D and others. I'd like to hear from anyone who tries it with other tools.

You can export/import Collada meshes in the Clone Package Editor / Mesh Manager tab. Only meshes that include all necessary data (vertex positions, normals, uv0, uv1 if needed, bones, and vertex color) should be imported here. Imports can be modified TS4 meshes or completely original. The only other restriction is that you have to import the same number of mesh parts as the original, but I'll work on making that more flexible. The Mesh Tools / Auto Tool: Conversion/Autoassignments tab will also accept Collada meshes and may be useful if you have a mesh that needs auto-assignment of bones, vertex colors, uv1, or whatever.

Unzip the folder and run S4CASTools.exe.

Please report problems, issues, reasonable suggestions, and check back for updates!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  S4CASTools_3_1_0_0.zip (11.39 MB, 46 downloads) - View custom content

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4