Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:35 AM
Default Laptops for under $1000 that will play sims 3
I know this is in the wrong section so feel free to move it mods, but I can't find the old forum for computer hardware issues. *headdesk*
Anyway, I want a laptop for under $1000 AUD that'll play the Sims 3. Has anyone any suggestions/recommendations?? It doesn't have to be top of the notch, just enough that it will play at a reasonable pace without crashing.
If I have to I could stretch to 1200 I guess.

Call me Meg

lately i want everything
every star tied to a string

av credit
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:41 AM
Mine works just fine. I bought it for 600€, I think it is even cheaper in the US. It is the Lenovo Y550 T4200. It has a Dual Core 2Ghz processor, 3GB RAM, 250Go HD I think, and the nVidia GeForce GT 130 for graphic card. The game runs very smoothly and fast. It is definitely not a top-notch configuration, but it is enough to run most video games (I bought it to play the last GTA, which ain't brand new but still demands some ressources), hence way enough to run Sims 3.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:42 AM
I don't think it should be hard to find. What you really, really, really have to pay attention to with The Sims 3 is

1. Graphics card (make sure it's not integrated)
2. Memory (preferably 4 gigs)
3. Harddrive speed (7200rpm minimum)

EDIT: 3 gigs of memory is fine too, didn't know they shipped that, might be shared memory with the videocard, but that's fine. Make sure the videocard has at least 256MB of memory.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 12:38 PM
Have a look at the bottom of the Help Upgrading or Building/Buying a New Computer sticky at the top of this forum (the prices are in USD, by the way, so you'll need to convert them.)

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#5 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 12:22 AM
I have a compaq presario CQ60 Notebook & I can run the sims 3 fine on med to low settings. the only problems I have is one the mouse pad sucks so I had to get a new mouse that plugs into the UPS port & it seems to overheat if it's on a flat surface but if on my lap and the fan isn't covered it seems to be fine. other than that it's worth the 600$ I spent on it. good computer with a 4.0 rating index. Also runs games like w.o.w just fine, my other fav pc game.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 12:29 AM
If you were to buy that, you'd need the best processor and graphics options. The lower ones won't run TS3.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.