Replies: 23 (Who?), Viewed: 1337 times.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Sep 2020 at 8:28 PM
Default What Made Your Day Today? V2
Don Babilon's thread got zapped with the clean out.

I miss this thread and since there are things that do make my day, I'm starting a new one.

What made my day today? Leaf blowers are not just for blowing leaves.

I have a list of things I do this time in year to get the house prepped for winter. One of those things is cleaning out the pipe for the dryer vent so we don't have a fire.  I was going to order a kit to do this, but the pipe to our dryer is soft and pliable. The kit I was going to order would have destroyed the piping as the brush for said kit is really stiff.

In the 'review' section of the dryer lint cleaner kit I was going to buy, somebody mentioned using a leaf blower to get all the dust, fuzz and lint out of the dryer pipe for those that have the same one we do. Figuring I had nothing to lose by trying said cleaning method, I dragged out the leaf blower. Ours is electric so there was no concern about filling up with the house with exhaust fumes.

After disconnecting the pipe from the dryer, I tried the leaf blower from inside the house so all the lint would blow outside rather than all over the place downstairs. That did a little, but because laundry was taking way too long to dry, I suspected there was a lot more lint hiding; so I went outside and used the leaf blower from the outside to in the house.

My gut was correct. I got a couple' large rabbits' worth of lint out. Ew! Once I cleaned up the mountain of fuzz, I used the vacuum cleaner to pick up the rest.  Now my sheets that I washed this morning will dry in no time rather than more than 40 minutes which is what it took last week.

Simgurugraham on the future of the sims 4
EA's strategy, when filling a long-time request for more depth, is to occasionally subvert expectations. - Graham Nardone
Footage Not Representitive of Actual GamePlay
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 25th Sep 2020 at 4:32 PM
Discovering tools that can be used for multiple purposes is great!

What made my day was seeing a young teenager nick a streetsign that was on the ground (because construction) while his taller friend was keeping watch. I was like right next to the kid and seeing him struggle to get onto his bike while holding the sign was amusing. Stealing is bad obviously but this is one of those moments that you never really witness in real life, so I couldn't really be mad a them
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 29th Sep 2020 at 7:42 AM
I gave a pitch for my college’s game dev club that I’ve been stressing over for a week, and it went really well! Even though I’ve had such awful brain fog, especially today, I was prepared with a PowerPoint to keep me on track. My presentation was very well received, especially since I made my own concept art with the PowerPoint. I was under the impression that that was a standard for the club but I was the only one who had visual aids — meaning both that I didn’t have to stress out nearly to the point that I did, AND that I made some kind of mark as a capable member of the club.
The club President contacted me outside of the meeting to discuss his elevator pitch he had written for it. He told me that I sounded like I’d done this many times before, and when I told him how nervous I was, he told me he never would’ve guessed because I sounded so confident. Quite the morale boost!
Scholar
#4 Old 1st Oct 2020 at 10:04 PM
When I was in high school, the first amplifier I made used two vacuum tubes. (We also used slide rules!) At one time I knew how to design with tubes. But by the time I got to my BS in physics, Tubes were out of date. One professor I knew (but didn't much respect) wanted me to catalog and sort out the universities collection of a thousand vacuum tubes for 1 unit of credit. I didn't see the point, most were obsolite and the technology to use them forgotten. By that time I had gone from tubes and slide rules to transistors and calculators.
I was looking up how they made the old gamma ray survey meters for use in fallout shelters in the event of thermonuclear war. We tend to think that we have far superior technology now, but they used a vacuumtube called an "electrometer valve" that had a grid input impedance of 15,000,000,000,000,000 ohms in some tubes!! There is nothing in solid state; not CMOS, MOSFET or JFET that can even come close to this! And the technology is almost 100 years old. Sometimes, older technology is better!
Yeah, I'm kinda want to build a working survey meter because the DeLorean is still powered by plutonium.

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 4th Oct 2020 at 11:26 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 4th Oct 2020 at 3:31 PM.
After 15 years since going off the air, "The Proud Family" is debuting as a new series as ”The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder."! Taking place during Penny's teen years, Penny, her parents, her toddler twin siblings, her sharp-tongued paternal grandmother Suga Mama and her friends, Zoe, LaCienaga and Dijonay are confirmed to be recasted with the same voice actors.

Still no sign of the Gross Sisters, who extorted from the other kids or Wizard Kelly, a basketball mogul. However, Sticky Webb may not appear due to his voice actor's problems with addiction and mental health and Disney has a very low tolerance for that.

A new character voiced by Keke Palmer is a 14 year old activist named Maya. Penny's role in the show, once she makes friends with Maya, is to explain the issues brought up. But then again, issues such as body image, prejudice and racism were originally in the original series, but at it's darkest moments, it was handled with humor and warmth

Recording is set to start in the next month or so, but it will be a while before the first episode debuts on Disney+.

I should be the only one to shine,
I am the Golden Queen of Shadow Galactica
(Translation of a line from image song Golden Queen Galaxia)
Alchemist
#6 Old 5th Oct 2020 at 9:19 PM
I got a little confidence boost after noticing that all this walking, cycling and labour has paid me off with toned calf muscles, fairly large biceps and a stomach as hard as the Oakwood I'm working with.
If I'd find the motivation to work out, I'd get ripped in no time.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#7 Old 12th Oct 2020 at 6:25 AM
I would rather get nothing at all than a "Thank you" notice from an automated script when I donate money. Noting comes off as more fake than pressing a button to give money and finding a thank you e--mail a couple of seconds latter that no human could possibly mailed. Why do they do this? I know no human had part in that, just a few lines of code. Pretty bad right?!
Could be worse! If you donate to a political candidate they send you a scam letter accusing you to be a dead beat and want more money, and everyone of the same political party sends you their guilt trip e-mails demanding money. If they lose the election, they say it's your fault. From now on all political e-mail address go into my spam filter.
Seriously, I need a new kitchen, lawn and fence and I don't need this.

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 12th Oct 2020 at 6:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett Brown
I would rather get nothing at all than a "Thank you" notice from an automated script when I donate money. Noting comes off as more fake than pressing a button to give money and finding a thank you e--mail a couple of seconds latter that no human could possibly mailed. Why do they do this? I know no human had part in that, just a few lines of code. Pretty bad right?!
Could be worse! If you donate to a political candidate they send you a scam letter accusing you to be a dead beat and want more money, and everyone of the same political party sends you their guilt trip e-mails demanding money. If they lose the election, they say it's your fault. From now on all political e-mail address go into my spam filter.
Seriously, I need a new kitchen, lawn and fence and I don't need this.

I know. Automatic responses don't really have any human warmth and this is coming from a girl-woman who wants a town made entirely of robot and cyborg citizens.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Oct 2020 at 4:11 PM
This should have been posted last night... eh, close enough.

I had a couple of hours to myself last night.  I had music on, washed the kitchen floor but got done what I really wanted to do which was clean behind the fridge.  I don't pull it out of its spot every time I wash the floor, so I always end up with a collection dust bunnies behind there.  There wasn't much dust or dirt, but I'm glad it's done.  This has been one of those stupid tasks that has been rolling in my brain for a few weeks.  I also wiped down the top of the fridge since the tall people in the house that can actually see the dust without a chair refuse to do it.

Considering how little leftovers are in the fridge, I'm going with the new recipe I tried yesterday was a hit.

EA's strategy, when filling a long-time request for more depth, is to occasionally subvert expectations. - Graham Nardone
Mad Poster
#10 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 5:04 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 14th Oct 2020 at 8:49 AM.
My father brought home a couple of ammo boxes (technically they were multipurpose lock boxes, but they normally can fit deer slugs when not in use).

I ended up with one and I may ask for a lock and key to lock it. (I am currently stowing away money for my dream house. No, it won't be pink, but it will be inspired by M.C. Escher.)

Going up the stairs
Going down the stairs
Going up the stairs
Going down the stairs
Going up the stairs
Going down the stairs
Now I'm going up the sideways stairs.

The wonders of gravity wells...

Scholar
#11 Old 16th Oct 2020 at 4:49 AM
The weather today being really nice and feeling like autumn should feel (as opposed to yesterday that felt like summer *sigh*) like made me happy.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
Test Subject
#12 Old 17th Oct 2020 at 2:40 AM
I discovered an account on Twitter that is posting bits and pieces of the script for the 2017 game, Sonic Forces, every hour (the gameplay was fine in my opinion, but the writing was atrocious). Just a little something for Sonic fans like me to laugh at.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 18th Oct 2020 at 3:21 AM
Received $35.00 from my grandfather. Another "can't come, here's a check" like last year.

Oh well, it's not going to matter. Most people labeled as genius usually don't go all out and invite everyone they know. (People label me as a genius, but I have my doubts about such efficacy.)

Albert Einstein was in the middle of his birthday when the press barged in. He stuck his tongue out in rebellion against the invasion of privacy.

Scholar
#14 Old 20th Oct 2020 at 7:38 PM
I bought me the bestest softest and warmest blanket ever. Even better: its 140x200cm so I can use it on my bed too if I want. it has tiny reindeers on it :D
Mad Poster
#15 Old 22nd Oct 2020 at 7:42 PM
Tomorrow is my actual birthday. October 23.

But any celebration will be done on the 24, due to scheduling conflicts.

Although I have a couple packages awaiting for me from earlier this month, they're actually part of an arts and crafts idea of Mason Jar banks that are synched up with an app.

Mad Poster
#16 Old 9th Nov 2020 at 8:33 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 9th Nov 2020 at 12:11 PM.
I found my autumn journal and wrote down the news of the day in a distilled format with a dash of topical humor. Like SNL'S Weekend Update and The Daily Show with John Stewart (Has little to no reconnaissance on Trevor Noah beyond growing up in South Africa. Can't understand what you don't know).

I can be dark, given the opportunity to show that I can hold my own in comedy.

I also found out that the old "Our Gang" films of the 1930s-1940s that the kid who played Froggy got the part while practicing voice acting with a Popeye puppet. The voice in the "Our Gang" films he used was the one he used for Popeye.

Scholar
#17 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 5:57 PM
Mum's raincoat has a fabric lining. It's mine now
Mad Poster
#18 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 10:10 AM
Watched a little segment from "Lupin the Third, Part 5".

The clip showed just how easy it is to cyber stalk in this day and age.

Lupin, Jigen and Goemon are in France, eating at some bistro
Elderly man catches Lupin in frame while taking wife's photo.
Face recognition software outs Lupin as the gentleman thief he is.
The French police chase the trio.
The trio escapes into the sewer, only to emerge to a crowd.
Lupin calls for the RC getaway car.
The chase leads into a wild ride through the roads and hills of the French countryside.
Upon heading to the hideout, being on squatters rights on the Mouse Gang's, it evolves into a shoot out.

Long story short, the fact that technology is pervasive is what scares people. Good thing you can opt out of such things.

Lab Assistant
#19 Old 18th Nov 2020 at 9:03 PM
So glad I dropped English. My SGD professors have all granted me extended due dates because of my concussion. This department is full of cool, kind people.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 19th Nov 2020 at 10:54 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 20th Nov 2020 at 12:00 AM. Reason: typo
My sinuses are completely pissed off at me right now, but all the computers in the house are clean.

The mini blower I ordered earlier in the week came in.  I had faith that it was going to do a good job, I just didn't expect it to do as good of a job that it did.  I found cat fur from the system in the living room and the one I post from.  We haven't had a cat in going on 3 years.  I also found Foo-dog fuzz, she has been gone for around a year.  Then just for shits and giggles, I decided to see how much dust I could get out of speakers.  Bird seed came out of one them.  Bird seed is always helpful for sound... SMH.

Canned air is good for absolutely, nothing.

Mad Poster
#21 Old 20th Nov 2020 at 3:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
I found cat fur from the system in the living room and the one I post from.  We haven't had a cat in going on 3 years.  I also found Foo-dog fuzz, she has been gone for around a year. 

When were prepping for the move from WA back to NJ, we found tons of hair from 3 cats who died during the 10 years we lived in semi-urban Lynnwood, WA, it was a mix of long and grey and black or short and white.

Most of it was from under the stove.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#22 Old 20th Nov 2020 at 1:23 PM
When we had cats, I used to pull the stove away from the wall often as all the cats' toys would end up under there.  These days I spend my time retrieving tennis balls that roll under furniture.  The dogs 'help' by digging at my head and putting their wet, cold noses on my face.

Scholar
#23 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 9:48 PM
I only spent 3.5 hours stuck at my desk yesterday instead of the 10-12 I've been doing these last two weeks! I was so excited to go out for a walk, like I rarely show that much enthusiasm about anything I kept telling my mum to hurry up and was like mum mum muuuummm can we gooooooo I wanna leaaaavvveee!
Dad was like begone beast! and went back to reading his newspaper.

Seriously though, back to back classes are horrible and its even worse when you still need to be sitting there to do all the other research assignments, cos I dunno about you guys but I can't read important stuff while sitting on an arm chair.
Scholar
#24 Old 26th Nov 2020 at 5:22 AM
I've been told that I'm making Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. Okay. I had planned on that! Also, since it is the last nice day for awhile (it's a one day break from the rain), I'm to fix the fence. And Thanksgiving via Zoom. Oh, how I hate Zoom! I get to sit quietly at the computer and watch relatives rag on each other. Maybe I can watch YouTube videos? My daughter plays Minecraft during her school zooms so I know it can be done but there is a trick to it because she got caught once. Very bad behavior. but seriously, it's all inlaws so no one cares, I was invited so I wouldn't feel left out

Sims are better than us.