Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Small Editors: VPXY, BoneDelta, FacialBlend, BlendUnit, CASSliderTemplate, GEOM/MTNF - New May 2010: RSLT Editor

by Tashiketh Posted 9th Nov 2009 at 9:19 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 3:07 PM by Nysha

62 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 59 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 3
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 12th Nov 2009 at 8:39 PM
Ok, great.

Just a few easy questions about basic 3D modeling then I guess. If they're aggravatingly newb-like, I apologize. :-x

When opening up a .bonedelta, you can tweak some numbers, but some of the terms I'm not familiar with.

Making a .bonedelta scalable on a specific plane was obvious (setting 'Scale' to 0 on the other two axes).

Specifically, I wanted to have a slider along the 'Z' axis for the pelvis, and another for the 'X'.

'X' worked fine, because I wanted to be able to scale the hips horizontally from the origin, BUT, the 'Z' axis needs some field changed.

The problem is that the 'Z' slider expands/shrinks universally (as does every scale-slider), meaning that while the rear end goes outward (YAY!), the pelvis also extends forward, essentially making anyone with a non-flat butt have some freakish descended pregnancy look (BOO!).

How would I keep the front from going out as well?
Do I just offset negatively along 'Z' until the nucleus is at the very front of the body?

Or does it have to do with the "quaternion", which is a word I've never seen before in my life?

Also, when making a slider for something like Spine0, is there a way I can keep it from effecting everything above it (torso, arms, and head shrink/grow as well)? I would think I'd have to add in all the .bonedeltas I want unaffected and put in some negative equivalent in some field, but I wouldn't know which one. :-\

Any help would be much appreciated, and thanks again for releasing these things.
Scholar
#27 Old 12th Nov 2009 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SkankBenSkank
The problem is that the 'Z' slider expands/shrinks universally (as does every scale-slider), meaning that while the rear end goes outward (YAY!), the pelvis also extends forward, essentially making anyone with a non-flat butt have some freakish descended pregnancy look (BOO!).

How would I keep the front from going out as well?
Do I just offset negatively along 'Z' until the nucleus is at the very front of the body?

This is what I have done for my butt slider.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=377975

Quote:
Or does it have to do with the "quaternion", which is a word I've never seen before in my life?

No. quaternion is a type of offset. For example when the pelvis is vertical by default | giving it a quarternion value can make it shifted like this / or that \ depending on the sign of the value. Hard to explain. Look what Delphy did with his BrestFullness slider.

Quote:
Also, when making a slider for something like Spine0, is there a way I can keep it from effecting everything above it (torso, arms, and head shrink/grow as well)? I would think I'd have to add in all the .bonedeltas I want unaffected and put in some negative equivalent in some field, but I wouldn't know which one. :-\

In helped me, to import the bones into Blender. That way I saw, that for example spine0 has only spine1 and belly as child nodes, so you can give them the inverted value (1 / original value), if you want.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 12th Nov 2009 at 10:14 PM
Ah, okay, that answers a lot.

Quaternion = tilt, okay.

Checking out your sliders now, they look great in the preview.

Have you tried a leg/arm set? I made an 'X' and 'Z' (separate) set containing UpperArm, Bicep and Forearm, excluding the clavicle at the top, and the wrist and hand sliders. When I tested them, I'd move a slider, and the hands would start "shaking" (flashing between slightly large and slightly small, randomly). This is probably because I excluded those things.
Similar result doing one for the legs, excluding the feet.
Hopefully it's just including those, and not an issue that happens with any extremity slider.
Scholar
#29 Old 12th Nov 2009 at 11:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SkankBenSkank
When I tested them, I'd move a slider, and the hands would start "shaking" (flashing between slightly large and slightly small, randomly).

Yeah, I had this issue, too, with my sliders. The game just doesn't seem to like scaling the hands, so if you scale the upper arm with a value of 1.2 (0.2 in bone delta editor, as the default scaling is 1 of course) you have to scale the lower arm or the hand (dependig on if the lower arm should be scaled) with a value of 1/1.2 = 0.833333333 (-0.16666666 in the bone editor). This should reduce shaking a lot.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 13th Nov 2009 at 3:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonha
Yeah, I had this issue, too, with my sliders. The game just doesn't seem to like scaling the hands, so if you scale the upper arm with a value of 1.2 (0.2 in bone delta editor, as the default scaling is 1 of course) you have to scale the lower arm or the hand (dependig on if the lower arm should be scaled) with a value of 1/1.2 = 0.833333333 (-0.16666666 in the bone editor). This should reduce shaking a lot.

Ahhhhh, okay. Is the 1/2 scale concrete universally? The lower arm can't be less than 1/2 the added scale value of the upper, but can it be more?

Also, loving your sliders. I'll post my thoughts/etc. in their thread.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#31 Old 13th Nov 2009 at 6:52 PM
The BoneDelta tool has been updated to v0.4.

Changes include:
- Re-ordering of Bone names within the XML
- Changing the Bone selection box from a dropdown to a list box
- Grouping bones by type (Arm, Legs, Torso, etc)
- Move Version field to the status bar
- Added Export and Import options to the File menu allowing you to Export 1 or All bones to a .bonedelta file
- Added Invert 1/x button that inverts by 1 / (x + 1) - 1 instead of just flipping the sign

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#32 Old 16th Nov 2009 at 11:28 PM
Default slider for sims height
Excellent tools, Delphy. Thank you very much.

Jonha: Avoiding the shaking effect with the method described works fine.

I tried to alter the Sims height: By scaling the y-value of the spine bones (spine 0, 1 and 2) the height of the sims upperbody can be changed. Scaling the y-value of the lower body bones results in sims with constantly bent knees and levitating sims respectively.

Does anybody know, how to move the skeltons root ? Then sims with varying height and a persisting ratio of upper to lower body could be created.

Christian
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#33 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 7:33 AM
...Except Sim Height is much more complex than just adjusting a few bones. See my Sim Height slider for more.

Test Subject
#34 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 6:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
...Except Sim Height is much more complex than just adjusting a few bones. See my Sim Height slider for more.

May be for some players a slight modification of the upper body is acceptable until there is a better height mod.

What "Sim Height slider" did you mean ? I was looking in the downloads, but couldn't find it.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Height.rar (1.1 KB, 30 downloads)
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#35 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 7:00 PM
It's here http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=378014

Test Subject
#36 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 9:31 PM
It's here http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=378014

Great, thank you.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 7:15 PM
I was attempting to take a break form that core mod everyone knows about and I went to try my hand at making some morphs and sliders. But I ran into a problem. The FacialBlend Editor is coming back with a with a BadImageFormat Exception. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Pro

Heres the full error details:
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#38 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 9:13 PM
Rez: Thanks for the heads up - you are totally right. I forgot to change the build target to x86. I just uploaded a new version that should fix that.

Test Subject
#39 Old 22nd Dec 2009 at 5:34 PM
Can your CAS Slider Template also be used to add additional color sliders to the skintone color selector? If so, how? Or is there some other process for adding colors to this section?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#40 Old 22nd Dec 2009 at 8:10 PM
jh3nry, sorry but no, thats not possible right now.

Test Subject
#41 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 1:48 PM
Then open up said package file, and extract the BoneDelta (or set your S3PE up via Helpers.txt to auto open the BoneDelta tool for those types)

Where can I find Helpers.txt ?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#42 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 3:19 PM
In the same folder as your S3PE installation.

Field Researcher
#43 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 12:48 AM
Are these tools to replace the Face Slider Mod you made a while back where the face sliders have wider parameters? If so, how can i use this to recreate your mod, i just want some wider parameters so i can download custom sims. If not, where can i find your original mod? the links i found lead to no where now.

Thanks for all you've made and given to us! :]

*waves hi*
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#44 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 10:52 AM
hopawaay: Nope, these tools don't have anything to do with that facial slider. There are alternative facial slider mods in the download section.

Field Researcher
#45 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 7:36 PM
I was only able to find 1 mod for the facial sliders, but it's for WA only. There were mods for other body parts and such but no more for the face. Will you be reposting your hack by any chance? :]

*waves hi*
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#46 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 9:35 PM
No point in reposting, since it only works with at most patch 1.2.7. The one in downloads works with 1.8 / 2.2, ie latest patched base game + wa. (They are identical in terms of code)

Test Subject
#47 Old 3rd Jan 2010 at 12:41 PM
Thank you for the answer above.

But now I have another question:
How can I see which STBL resource in the .package file belongs to which language after I've made the new slider?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#48 Old 3rd Jan 2010 at 1:43 PM
Theres a list of STBL languages on the STBL page on the wiki.

Test Subject
#49 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 4:43 PM
Is it possible to make a slider for hair? One that allows adjustments to height, width, fullness, length, curl, etc.? If so, this would be an amazing accomplishment. I was pretty good at making content for the Sims 2, but I've never been any good at making game modifications. Any chance a hair slider is possible?
Test Subject
#50 Old 14th Mar 2010 at 9:06 PM Last edited by Alexoin : 14th Mar 2010 at 9:23 PM.
Not sure if it is something I'm doing but whenever I try to open an existing FBLN file (including ones that have just been created by the CAS Slider Template Creator) in the Facial Blend Editor, I get the following error:-
Any ideas?

Gah just found out that the apparent default for editing that kind of file is not the right one, need to change the files extension from .facialblend to .blendunit and open it in one of the other editors.
Page 2 of 3