Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#26 Old 9th Oct 2005 at 5:37 PM
Hmm... I'd really like to begin meshing, but people are saying this tutorial is out of date. I've downloaded the newest versions of SimPE and Milkshape #D, as well as Wes' plugins. Would I be allright following this tutorial or will I just get hopelessly confused? Is there a more up-to-date hair meshing tutorial if so that anyone knows of?

Thanks

mysticweirdo
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 9th Oct 2005 at 5:59 PM
"Step 5.
The Mesh
Open up your mesh file that you saved (Should be In Your Saved Sims Folder)
Click on the Geometric Data Container
Then click on the file to your right (Copy the filename )"

What file? =S
Forum Resident
#28 Old 12th Oct 2005 at 5:46 AM
I'm editing hair that came with NL (vamp hair) and I am completely stuck on
Click on the file for your hair their will be three ( two if you don't have University) files you have to fix a Adult,Young Adult and a Elder
If your creating a teen,child or toddler Hair Their will be 1 File you have to fix.( For Each Age)
Click The Package button right next to the File Properties.

Onyx Sims is now open!
Test Subject
#29 Old 17th Oct 2005 at 1:05 PM
Ok a bit out of date or not this is the most comprehensivepost I have found, ever. hank you for the links you made my day!

I'm crazy not stupid!
Test Subject
#30 Old 21st Oct 2005 at 5:47 PM
Default Modifying two hair files at once?
Great tutorials. I wouldn't have been able to make my content without them.

Anyway, I made my hair and it turned out great but I am stuck on where I am suppose to modify the afhair and ef hair. (I don't have University yet).

I went ahead and modified the af hair only to see if it would work and it does but in the view hair by age section of Bodyshop the modified hair shows on my elder Sim and not my adult Sim. In the game and in bodyshop preview it shows on my adult Sim? This is all good and fine since this is what I wanted to begin with but for sharing the file I am not sure how to fix it .
I stuck it on Exchange to download it quickly and see if anything changed and it still shows on my adult sim but even in the preview on Exchange it shows the elder Sim with the new hair.

I'd like to modify both files correctly but I havn't figured it out yet so if any more info on how to do this I would really appreciate it.

I move the nodes to the correct file but at that point I don't know when I am suppose to change the eldersim file.

Thanks a bunch!
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#31 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 11:30 AM Last edited by Lunar Eclipse : 26th Oct 2005 at 3:14 PM.
Transparency Issues
I've found a very irritating problem with transparency and was wondering if anyone knows how to fix it.

Before editing the mesh in milkshape the transparent parts looks fine.

But once I finish with my edit and reopen bodyshop (and this happens in-game as well) the edge of the transparent parts of the mesh become rough and cause opaque areas of the mesh to become fully transparent. There is nothing wrong with the alpha textures either.

I'll post a picture example of what I mean.

This is before editing!

This is after. See the strange transparent rough edge? It shows up in grey on the left of the picture but it actually transparent. This rough edge appears around any parts of the hair mesh that use the alpha channels and I do not know what causes it. It ruins things a lot however, and doesn't happen until the mesh has been edited in milkshape.

I've tried turning auto smooth off to see if it made a difference, but it did not. I've been messing with this for hours and I've made no progress.

Someone please help me out!

Nevermind EDIT:
Being the geniASS that I am, I fixed the problem. Milkshape convieniently forgets the opacity settings found in the parts tag of the GMDC. I just had to reinput that and commit. Voila! So yes, NV. <3
Test Subject
#32 Old 2nd Nov 2005 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Revoye
Here's some very helpful links for hair meshing.

http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=43092 (BriAnna’s tutorial)
http://forums.thesimsresource.com/s...ad.php?t=278680 (Big Bad Shar hair meshing tutorial)
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=68472 (Dr Pixel's Hair animation help)
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=74817 (Pinhead's Transparent edges help)

Where to find tools

http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ (Milkshape)
http://sims.ambertation.de/ (SimPE)
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=43503 (Wes_h's Plugin/[gmdc importer])

This is how I learned

(This should belong in the tutorials forum)

I've had a go at the big bad shar hair tutorial and had more success with any of the others, except when i have to import via THE SIMS 2 GMDC in milkshape. I do not have the sims 2 option, yet i thought i had all the plugins and i think i've got wes h's latest plug in, so i'm confused??

Thanks
LIZ
Test Subject
#33 Old 3rd Nov 2005 at 7:41 PM
Hello, I want to learn thanks to your tutorials, but the link for SimPE doesn't work... Anyone has got another link or something where I can get the software? Thank a bunch
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 25th Nov 2005 at 2:46 PM
http://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=133134+

THis is a link to all versions of SimPE...hope this helps someone.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 29th Nov 2005 at 5:21 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!! Ive always wanted to do this and now I can.
Test Subject
#36 Old 8th Dec 2005 at 2:27 AM
omg i cant wait till i get started making big hair!!!!
thank a lot
#37 Old 16th Dec 2005 at 1:26 AM
hola soy de chile ^^!!!
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 26th Dec 2005 at 4:43 PM
Thank you so much for the tutorial, it's great!

I'm stuck at step 5 "Open up your mesh in milkshape using Wes_H's 2.16 plugin"

I downloaded this plugin (2 files I think) awhile ago and put them into c:/program files/milkshape. Is this right? Can anyone give me the link to this plugin so I can be sure I have the right thing. I did search for it but couldn't find anything.

Also once I have the correct plugin how do I use it, how do I open my mesh using it?
Test Subject
#39 Old 30th Dec 2005 at 7:29 PM
hello: I have a problem when creating hairs, when I see with body shoop it
with all the moved vertices, like in ends.I follow with all them step. that it can be?Excuse my ingles but single I speak Castilian
Screenshots
Test Subject
#40 Old 1st Jan 2006 at 1:17 AM Last edited by Penguink : 1st Jan 2006 at 2:19 AM.
I have a question about this part of the step:

Step 5.
The Mesh
Open up your mesh file that you saved (Should be In Your Saved Sims Folder)
Click on the Geometric Data Container
Then click on the file to your right (Copy the filename )
Go up to the Geometric Data Container on the right side
Left click and extract it and paste the filename you copied over the name of the file
save it into your documents.

I don't understand where the "file to the right" is/what it might look like, like someONE.org was saying. Can somebody help me on this if they happen to see this post? D:

[COLOR=Red]"Life is dirty... and it feels very, very good"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Red]~Wang Mu, Children of the Mind[/COLOR]
Test Subject
#41 Old 2nd Jan 2006 at 8:44 PM
Default ilumination problem
Hey all,

First, I'd like to thank SamMoo for the tutorial :D.

I'm trying to make a new hair style and I've got a problem, seems that the ilumination of . The hair is divided in 2 meshes, a ponytail and a fringe. The ponytail is fine, but the fringe has some ilumination artifacts that have nothing to do with the textures. I changed the textures to a flat color so its more obvious.

Does anyone knows what is the problem?
Test Subject
#42 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 4:34 PM
i dont understand step 4, could someone explain it better 2 me please? Or if u could give some pics for it that would help too.

thanks
#43 Old 18th Jan 2006 at 5:36 PM
Hi Guys, well I've just managed to figure things out myself, just!

Here's what step 5 means for those who asked

Alchemist
#44 Old 20th Jan 2006 at 5:16 AM
If you decide to use the new UniMesh plugins for MilkShape, instead of the older 2.16 plugins, with your hair meshing, there are some extra steps that need to be done to avoid problems with animation interactions.
I have described the solutions in the following post: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...2310#post992310
The UniMesh plugin set is more pwerful, and now exposes bone assignments made to animation points that are post-processed somehow by Maxis.

The "BodyChop" and "2.16" plugin versions will remain posted on their threads, but I am no longer going to provide any further support or development work on them.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Test Subject
#45 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 8:28 PM
Angry, Mad and Disapointed
I am outraged!! :mad:
SanMoo, you made the tutorial, right? But I am guessing it's not exactley the best one around here, is it? There are lots of grammatical and spelling errors and I am SO mad because lots of people post their problems and doubts here and you don't even give them the, let's call it: privilege of seeing a post by you answering their questions or at least saying you don't know how to!! Personnaly I can't get past step 4. The part where it says "On the list to the side click the files of the ones you found in step 3" is, at least in my point of view, just NOT understandable. English is not my mother-language, so it's really hard not to read words correctley spelled and placed within the sentence. I would really like to see a post by you in which you apologize for not replying, answer our questions and, for crying out loud, correct the errors!! If many of us spent our precious time reading your tutorial, you WILL spend yours reading and answering our questions! I am aware of the fact that this post is a bit rude, but I just got off the handle!!
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 6th Mar 2006 at 10:28 PM
I GIVE UP! I can't mesh! *sobs*

AKA A_SIMS_ADDICT @S2C >_<
The Flying Spaghetti Monster is REAL

*I'm Retired. But I Hope I'll Be Remember For My Dedication To This Game...."
#47 Old 11th Mar 2006 at 5:26 AM
hi. Im up to step 5 and I don't have a geometric data bin. I'm pretty sure i've followed the tute exactly. anyone know how to find it?
#48 Old 11th Mar 2006 at 1:44 PM Last edited by tiggerypum : 11th Mar 2006 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Merged posts: 1103106, 1103104
what folder do i open to make the hair change colors and shape. (i am using paint on the computer)
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#49 Old 12th Mar 2006 at 12:15 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 12th Mar 2006 at 7:04 AM.
Sorry, I missed some posts in this thread, so here goes:

Everyone, take a look at the faq/infocenter area for information that both helps with troubleshooting and helps explain things more in depth. Also note that no one here, including tutorial writers are paid staff - we're doing what we can to help people learn, including writing new tutorials and info, but it takes time, just as answering questions does.

josebritofino1991 English is not SanMoo's primary language. Many people who are helpful here do not speak English as their first language. So be more aware when you start bashing. Secondly, there is another hair tutorial in this section, and to be honest, editing hair is complex, there are many parts. If you don't know how to edit body meshes, start there to learn the basics, this is not a beginner's project.

MusicSimsFreak Start with a beginner's tutorial in body meshing. This is an advanced tutorial that assumes a base knowledge. Even so, many of us have had meshes that did not turn out right when we first tried! Sometimes we still have problems with them, even with experience.

ajitdweller If you are missing a geometric data container (gdmc) then you missed something in the steps of brianna's tutorial. There's the part where you locate the *4* mesh parts, from the 4 sim files. Then you have to bring them all into a new file, that is your mesh file you'll edit. If you'd not actually done brianna's tutorial start to finish, try that one first.

foxy_roxy Do not spam us with smilies or with messages that aren't about the topic of this tutorial. (I deleted them). You can't do this tutorial with 'paint' alone. If you want to start customizing clothing, I suggest you go to the bodyshop-skinning area here: http://www.modthesims2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20... and learn how to use GIMP (it's a free graphics editor) and you can learn some basics of recoloring, which you can then also do with hair.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 6:25 AM
Default Yay!
I did it! I went back and forth between this tutorial, BriAnna's, and Shar's, and Lunke's picture helped too, and it worked! I'm so happy about it! Here's a picture, so you can see.

Maybe this isn't the easiest tutorial in the world to follow (though I've seen worse) but if you just stick with it, and keep reading all the threads, it can be done. So, thanks, Sanmoo, and thanks Tiggerypum, and thanks everyone!
Screenshots

“Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.”
-unknown
Locked thread | Locked by: tiggerypum Reason: outdated tutorial
Page 2 of 3