Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#251 Old 15th Dec 2006 at 6:28 PM
i created a custom envcube however it isnt showing up right the original image is showing up as well as the new image this is weird! how do i fix this??
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#252 Old 15th Dec 2006 at 9:04 PM
Wow, that sounds ineresting...
Can you post the package here to see how it is?
Instructor
#253 Old 15th Dec 2006 at 10:39 PM
ToRnado,
yes please, post your package.

Niol, as I already subscibed to ToRnado's thread may look here :D
Yes, it is intresting and useful. Inge and Dr Pixel have some useful info to offer.

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Not actually evil.
#255 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 1:15 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 1st Jun 2007 at 2:10 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Yes, I don't like TXMT, either; btw I never remember if it's TXMT or TMXT...

I remember it by assuming TXMT stands for "texture material", TX - MT, see?
Since its a material property with some parameters that specify some texture stuff (use it or not, which one, blending), so "texture material" works for me.

----------------------
Oops, double posted! Bad CatOfEvilGenius!
(deleting following post and pasting it here...)
----------------------

When you replace a MATD with a different one, the texture reference must always be checked and fixed (if the MATD has a texture reference...). That's why the new MATD obviously keeps the reference to the texture contained in the object it was extracted from.

Honestly, I don't understand why Maxis did it this way. If only they took out the reference to the texture used (and maybe just a few other things), so much of the material property could be reused and shared between objects. I've made several things that all have the same Phong lighting parameters and environment mapping parameters, they only differed in the texture applied. To reuse the material, had to export it, replace it, change the name, change the darn texture reference, fix integrity, bleh. Maybe I'll make a suggestion to Maxis about it thought I doubt they would change it.

---------------------------------------------------

Layperson's Explanation of Some Things the Material Property Does

The material property, as many have said before, controls specularity, diffuse color, emissive color, environment mapping, etc. While these things are familiar to computer graphics people, to the layperson they may be unfamiliar. The Wikipedia links below explain some concepts behind what the material property does. People can just look at the pictures and get it, though I think reading the math would benefit them too. These sorts of PICTURES are what I think would be good to put into "materials for beginnings", along with cook-book how-to instructions (though not all in one giant thread). We have a bunch in this thread already, but they're not collected into a short beginner tutorial. Phong lighting and environment mapping could easily each have their own tutorial. If these already exist, I'll feel silly, someone point them out to me please.

Phong lighting a.k.a Phong reflection model (reflected color and dullness / shininess)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phong_reflection_model

Environment mapping (fake reflection of "stuff around a mirrored object")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_mapping

Emission (Objects that give off their own light, like real life lamps or the sun, are emissive. Setting the emissive color and emissive power controls how an object "lights up an area" or "glows". The white spheres in the image below are emissive.)
http://www.housepixels.com/aoimanua...ing/gi_emis.jpg
Part-time Hermit
#256 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 5:44 AM
Well, somehow the TXMT still needs to know which texture to use, right? So there needs to be a reference to it some place.
Not actually evil.
#257 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
Well, somehow the TXMT still needs to know which texture to use, right? So there needs to be a reference to it some place.

Sure, I'm just not convinced Maxis had to put it in the material. And you don't need one if you're not using a texture (I know, almost everything is textured because that looks nice). Why not have a resource that just says what uses what? For example, it could say this geometry gets that material and that texture. Then you wouldn't need to put the texture reference in the material. Not arguing, it's just my personal preference.

QUESTION:
If you have an object with multiple pieces of geometry, can you / how do you apply a different material to each? If someone already explained this, please give me the post number. Thanks!
Mad Poster
#258 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 7:29 PM
Indeed, there're a few ways Maxis did.

Such texture(s) be referenced in matShad files, txmt files, xml files, or behaviour related files.

txmt files are used as a local filter or controller for how the game presents the material normally locally yet possibly globally.
Part-time Hermit
#259 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 9:27 PM
Quote:
And you don't need one if you're not using a texture

As far as I know, all meshes have a Material Definition even if they don't have a texture. The Material Definition can define the look of an object without a texture, too. If an object doesn't have a working TXMT, it blinks blue in the game.

Quote:
If you have an object with multiple pieces of geometry, can you / how do you apply a different material to each?

If the meshes in different GMDCs have different names, you can. Then it doesn't really matter if they are in the same GMDC or not, as long as the mesh subset names are named differently.
Not actually evil.
#260 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
As far as I know, all meshes have a Material Definition even if they don't have a texture. The Material Definition can define the look of an object without a texture, too. If an object doesn't have a working TXMT, it blinks blue in the game.

I know. I meant, if you don't use a texture, you don't need a texture reference in your material.

I appreciate you answering questions in this thread, all you senior modders here are so helpful.
Mad Poster
#261 Old 2nd Jun 2007 at 8:11 AM
For setting instructions, may read the early half of this thread or the TS2 wiki or even wikipedia
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#262 Old 2nd Jun 2007 at 9:30 PM
CatOfEvilGenius,
As a recolorer and skinner - there is value (even if things repeat) to having this data individually - it means I can do something individual with my recolor that the base object did not have - I have modified various settings in the matd section to change the look of an object -- to turn a shiny plastic item into a non-shiny one, and so on.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Not actually evil.
#263 Old 2nd Jun 2007 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tiggerypum
CatOfEvilGenius,
As a recolorer and skinner - there is value (even if things repeat) to having this data individually - it means I can do something individual with my recolor that the base object did not have - I have modified various settings in the matd section to change the look of an object -- to turn a shiny plastic item into a non-shiny one, and so on.

Sure, I agree, I had to change a TXMT too in order to get the look I want. The thing is, now I've got it, and want to reuse it. If it were a texture, you can choose to create a new texture, or you can use a pre-existing texture (repository method). I think it would be nice to have that same choice with a lot of the non-reference stuff that's stored in the material. As a programmer, I've seen libraries where the texture and material data structures weren't so tightly coupled and you had that choice.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#264 Old 3rd Jun 2007 at 6:08 AM
Maxis might have such libraries. We do not have the cool software, packages, or organization tools that they do. So what you see as repetitive structure in every object might be a click of a button for them to insert from a library of predefined settings.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Not actually evil.
#265 Old 3rd Jun 2007 at 7:14 AM
Tiggerypum,
Good point. Done griping about modder convenience not being a goal of Maxis file structure design. [runs off to read more about materials]
Mad Poster
#266 Old 3rd Jun 2007 at 8:11 AM
Now, I worry the next repository step on the materials in TS3 or later will be like:
00043003 = stdMatEnvCubeMode
00004980 = reflectionkitchenhighcontrast-envcube
03377823 = StandardMaterial

0049 = material type
0498 = property tab

Lab Assistant
#267 Old 7th Jun 2007 at 1:37 AM
hi,I dont really understand all this is there an easy tutorial to follow, because I done all of that an my bottle does not look like glass it looks pink but not transparent is solid
Lab Assistant
#268 Old 7th Jun 2007 at 1:50 AM
The Blend Mode: part 1

Another very important function of the MATD is to hold information about the blend mode.
Among the other things, the blending lets the user alter the look of the object, adding to the texture transparency, color, brightness, light/shadow patterns and so on.
The blending can be used in conjunction or alternatively to the texture.
In other words, sometimes the texture is referenced into the MATD and the special effects can be added to it; on the contrary, sometimes the rendering of the object isn't based on a texture, but relies only on those special effect.
The typical example is the glass: to render a glass object, there is no need to use a texture: the only things we need to specify are its transparency, and its colour (if any).

The blending mode is activated/deactivated by using the stdMatAlphaBlendMode key; the values accepted by this field (correct me if I'm wrong) should be: none, additive, blend, blendreflective, mask, maskbump.
Every one of the mentioned values instructs the game to look for additional keys into the MATD, in order to collect the needed rendering information.
Obviously, the none means that no blending is to be applied to the object, so there's nothing to talk about.

Let's begin our analysis with one of most frequently used blending mode: blend.
As seen, we can activate it by means of the key: stdMatAlphaBlendMode: blend.
Then, we have to specify some more parameters in order to give our object the look we want it to have.
The most useful parameters are stdMatDiffCoef, stdMatUntexturedDiffAlpha and stdMatDiffCoef.
These three parameters are used to have the so-called "color blend".
Here is the syntax & acceptable values.

Code:
stdMatAlphaBlendMode = blend
stdMatDiffCoef = [0-1],[0-1],[0-1]
-> RGB values for glass colour
Values of 0,0,0 give as a result a dark (but still transparent) glass; 0.5,0,0 give a reddish glass, and so on.

-------------------------
Code:
stdMatUntexturedDiffAlpha = [0-1]
-> glass transparency
A value of 0 means "completely transparent" (beware: it means invisible!), while 1 means "solid".
Typical value for clear window glass is ~0.3

Code:
stdMatEmissiveCoef = [0-1],[0-1],[0-1]
-> RGB values for glass brilliance
The brilliance is the "inner" light that the glass may have. It's not a "light", because it doesn't add light to the room; it's just a bright look.

Experiment by yourself different values for the three parameters and look at the differences. I find very useful, for testing these values, the "window" part of the cheap microwave (obviously, you have to install the CEP in order to recolour it ).

End of part 1

could you please be so kind to clearly or maybe more plain speaking,to an ignorant like me, because I dont get it,I done what you explain here but still, something is wrong,Im missing somenthing,can you please tell me if is there a very easy tutorial to follow on this
MATD thing please, because I really want to do a transparent object,
thanks thanks :lovestruc
Not actually evil.
#269 Old 7th Jun 2007 at 5:15 AM
Soloyo, what values did you use for each of those material parameters? Folks could help more if they knew. Do you have texture enable set to true or false? I assume you're not trying to use any texture, you just want to use the material by itself, so make sure texturing is disabled. If you are trying to use a texture, make sure it has an alpha channel (you can make parts transparent) and when building DXT, use DXT3 or DXT5, so you can see untextured parts through the transparent parts of the texture.
Mad Poster
#270 Old 8th Jun 2007 at 2:00 AM
soloyo,

it sounds a syntactic error in the parameter settings to me. And, I guess it may be easier to upload it to the repair centre and see if someone comes up to help fix and//or provide you any suggested instructions. After all, this is a discussion and research thread.

Lol, you may just export only the txmt file out for modders to check.
Lab Assistant
#271 Old 8th Jun 2007 at 4:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by niol
soloyo,

it sounds a syntactic error in the parameter settings to me. And, I guess it may be easier to upload it to the repair centre and see if someone comes up to help fix and//or provide you any suggested instructions. After all, this is a discussion and research thread.

Lol, you may just export only the txmt file out for modders to check.

I am sorry all these talking to fix this and that I dont really understand is much easy for me to see and example or a tutorial thank you for answering me, I will do more research about this thanks
Lab Assistant
#272 Old 8th Jun 2007 at 4:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
Soloyo, what values did you use for each of those material parameters? Folks could help more if they knew. Do you have texture enable set to true or false? I assume you're not trying to use any texture, you just want to use the material by itself, so make sure texturing is disabled. If you are trying to use a texture, make sure it has an alpha channel (you can make parts transparent) and when building DXT, use DXT3 or DXT5, so you can see untextured parts through the transparent parts of the texture.

I am very sorry but I dont know much about parameters, or anything else, am a person who follow instructions better than discutions, is easy for me to see examples, and i will follow and discover what was wrong but for know I dont know thank for answering but I was especting if someone knew about and easy or easier tutorial to follow, is not something that I really need is just a hobby, thanks
Scholar
#273 Old 8th Jun 2007 at 8:33 AM
Try http://www.thesimsresource.com/down...page6in89items/
Named "Material definition editing" page 6, it gives some basics.

It is quite a challenge to explain in a simple way a very complex and not totaly discovered matter. For sure, when something is understood, no need to follow blindly instructions without knowing what you're doing. So thanks to those who makes hard researches and try to explain them to noob like us :-)

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
Mad Poster
#274 Old 8th Jun 2007 at 5:36 PM
May also check out... this free tutorial for transparency.

mike19's ''NEW'' Object transparency tutorial ''NEW''
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=220244
Lab Assistant
#275 Old 8th Jun 2007 at 9:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by niol
May also check out... this free tutorial for transparency.

mike19's ''NEW'' Object transparency tutorial ''NEW''
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=220244

thanks, I did so a made a vase looking like a glass, thank you for your answer
Page 11 of 12