Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jul 2021 at 6:24 PM Last edited by olomaya : 21st Jul 2021 at 12:33 PM.
Default Help Figuring Out Car Animations
I've been trying for the past few days to figure out what I'm doing wrong with this car conversion project. I'm trying to create a version of the Big Lemon that has the same features and interactions of the Fixer Upper S3 Store car. I'm almost certain (though you can never be too sure) that all of my bones are correctly assigned. However, whenever my Sim enters/exits the car or works on the engine, the wheels and doors all slot back back into the original mesh position. When driving, everything looks fine but doing all other interactions/animations is where the problem is.

I've gone into the RSLT file and manually updated the slots but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Anyone have any ideas as to what I'm missing? Do I have to edit the actual animations to match up with the new car size (the S3 store car is significant longer and slimmer than the car I'm using)?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 22nd Jul 2021 at 9:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by olomaya
I've been trying for the past few days to figure out what I'm doing wrong with this car conversion project. I'm trying to create a version of the Big Lemon that has the same features and interactions of the Fixer Upper S3 Store car. I'm almost certain (though you can never be too sure) that all of my bones are correctly assigned. However, whenever my Sim enters/exits the car or works on the engine, the wheels and doors all slot back back into the original mesh position. When driving, everything looks fine but doing all other interactions/animations is where the problem is.

I've gone into the RSLT file and manually updated the slots but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Anyone have any ideas as to what I'm missing? Do I have to edit the actual animations to match up with the new car size (the S3 store car is significant longer and slimmer than the car I'm using)?

Hello @olomaya
I think the dimensions of both vehicles have to be a perfect match with doors and steering wheels lining up.
There are a lot of vehicles to choose from the Fast Lane Stuff Pack or also Into the Future Expansion Pack - perhaps one of them might be a better fit?
Have you considered using the Sims 2 Freetime One Man's Junk Car? I think it might be nearer the size of the Big Lemon.
Wishing you good luck!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 12:13 PM
Thanks Ladysimplayer. I did some experimenting yesterday by cloning the Fixed Up car scaling the mesh up to be larger than the original. The first test worked fine but when I resized it on the Z-axis (making it shorter) then I ran into the same issues of wonkiness. So you're right in that the problem is that of dimensions. The supernatural car and the vintage FLS cars are more compatible but honestly, I find them kind of ugly. But I will do a test with them to see if they work.

I considered the Sims 2 junk car but that would involve having to convert TS2 animations. But at least now I know where the problem lies so I will do some more research this weekend on testing out the FixerUpper animation files in Blender to see if maybe it's a simple(ish) matter of updating the IKtargets to fit the size of the big lemon.