Locked thread | Replies: 20423 (Who?), Viewed: 1181431 times.
Page 661 of 817
Space Pony
#16501 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 8:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimGuruGraham
Correct. After the loading screen finishes you don't start inside/on the lot, you start on the sidewalk in front of the lot. Whether you choose to walk onto the active lot or wander off into the neighborhood is entirely up to you. No matter if you're traveling to another lot in the current neighborhood, to another neighborhood, or to a different world entirely, you'll always select a lot as your destination because there is always one active lot.

So when we go to select an inactive lot will we zoom out into neighborhood mode kind of like TS3?
Side note: YAY I'm not the disagree ninja for the longest time I thought I was because a few break outs seemed to happen when I was on the site using my phone and I was never sure if I had accidentally disagreed while scrolling. I've done it with likes on FB.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#16502 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 8:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigues
Their choice of words is so confusing, especially if all "worlds" are connected this time around. Why not just call them towns?

In TS3, was the attached Uni town called a "world"? How about the attached World Adventures places? If so, then we can understand why the connected locations are called Worlds. Though in TS3 we often used the word "world" synonymously with "saved game"

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
#16503 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 8:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by applefeather2
From Sims VIP:
"Since the Sims characters is now driven by DNA, CAS now has a new feature (our favorite): The family genetics. When creating a new Sim you can do that like you always did and start at the beginning or use the new functionality and randomize children of two existing Sims – finally hair color isn’t the only thing that kids inherit from their parents. They actually resemble them. In the same way you can create parents and siblings. Your family actually looks like certain physical features are passed on."
http://simsvip.com/2014/06/15/the-s...erman-magazine/

What?

That's not new, what are they talking about?
Mad Poster
#16504 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 9:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooCooCoo
What?

The part about randomizing children for existing sims is new, at least it wasn't already in the game without mods. I think it also applies to giving parents and siblings to existing sims too.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
#16505 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 9:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblesO
Thank you for adding "nothing new". I don't understand these kind of interviews, such a waste of time. And this Ryan guy... you can't get nothing out of him. There's really no compression between him and our lovely Graham!

Uhm... You know it's a render, right? Everything looks good as a render. Just putting these here...

EA is trying to be sexy...
#16506 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 9:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooCooCoo
What?

It's new compared to TS3 where all kids look like Midwich Cuckoos.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#16507 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 9:19 AM
I am starting to worry there is no progression for inactive households if we need to randomize children for families. I hope it don't mean that.

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Field Researcher
#16508 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 9:29 AM Last edited by kidhedera : 16th Jun 2014 at 12:12 PM. Reason: corrected by Graham
In one of the interviews with Graham he said in reference to rabbitholes/work or whatever that there was some big secret they were holding back for Gamescon so he couldn't talk about it but it was super cool and we were going to love it.
Call me naive and overly optimistic, but I'm hoping that we haven't really had much talk about family/babies/toddlers/children yet because they are holding back another surprise for us.

Something I would really love is if they introduced some kind of relationship between childrens behaviour and the traits they develop. Maybe you get to choose traits, but only from a subset that are related to the way the child has been cared for... perfectionists and bookworms need to have been made to study hard, if you leave a toddler sitting in their own filth instead of potty training them slob becomes an option, that sort of thing.

SO MAYBE they are just waiting to do A RAD presentation telling us all about this AWESOME NEW SYSTEM, with a showcase of how aging works, the new maternity wear situation (we know about that but haven't *seen* it), see some babies and toddlers, and how trait selection works for children and so on.

But then the 'stories' presentation had zero information about how inactive story progression works at all, so maybe I'm hoping for too much.
Field Researcher
#16509 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge Jones
In TS3, was the attached Uni town called a "world"? How about the attached World Adventures places? If so, then we can understand why the connected locations are called Worlds. Though in TS3 we often used the word "world" synonymously with "saved game"

For WA, my take on "world adventures" was "adventures throughout the world" rather than "between worlds." So, the other areas were part of the same world, they weren't considered separate worlds, just separate areas. I don't know if they were officially called "world" or not but it seems like new terminology for TS4 to me.
Test Subject
DELETED POST
16th Jun 2014 at 11:20 AM
This message has been deleted by [email protected].
Mad Poster
#16510 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 11:21 AM
Tweet from SimsVIP: https://twitter.com/SimsVIP/status/...9597056/photo/1

Image showing the game released for pre-load and when it will be available to install. That is according to EST in the US. SimsVIP said EA will release the install at 9pm PST on Sept. 1st.

Test Subject
#16511 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 11:23 AM
I like how they are managing the neighborhoods. I am willing to wait for a load when traveling between different neighborhood, but it bothers me much having to wait for the loading of a lot which is located in my own neighborhood.

Why can not you make lots active of district are reachable without load?
Instructor
#16512 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by applefeather2
From Sims VIP:
"Since the Sims characters is now driven by DNA, CAS now has a new feature (our favorite): The family genetics. When creating a new Sim you can do that like you always did and start at the beginning or use the new functionality and randomize children of two existing Sims – finally hair color isn’t the only thing that kids inherit from their parents. They actually resemble them. In the same way you can create parents and siblings. Your family actually looks like certain physical features are passed on."
http://simsvip.com/2014/06/15/the-s...erman-magazine/

Graham, would you be able to comment on this further please? I'm just wondering if we'll get at least TS2 type of genetics?

Thank you for answering what you have so far. I'm really liking what I've seen and truly hope we get an in depth genetics system.

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Field Researcher
#16513 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
I like how they are managing the neighborhoods. I am willing to wait for a load when traveling between different neighborhood, but it bothers me much having to wait for the loading of a lot which is located in my own neighborhood.

Why can not you make lots active of district are reachable without load?

Why in 2014 the game engine can’t effortlessly render the five lots in each neighbourhood without loading each one individually seems so restrictive, compared to what they gave us in 2009. It’s basically gives you the following options if you hate loading screens under no circumstances have your active family leave their active lot and adjoining open space Imagine the hassle of trying to rotate between family members who are in different lots all over the world of Willow Creek (each time a loading screen) the other option is never play more than one sim per lot, This is what I did in TS2. Ten years later I have to be limited to that again is this really progress.

Judging from the information we have the neighborhoods have a Sims Medieval feel about them you can only build here on this flat lot as there also seems to be No terrain tools hence no pools or basements and the numbers of floors has been reduced as well. With any luck some of this might change or be revealed as well as cars driveways and garages.
#16514 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgieSimBoy
Why in 2014 the game engine can’t effortlessly render the five lots in each neighbourhood without loading each one individually seems so restrictive,

My theory is that they could, but have chosen not to for the following reason: Assuming each of those lots has their entire family at home, and each family has 8 sims, that is 40 sims now being instantiated and rendered, and possibly even animating. That is 20 more than the amount they decided you can have in your "playing field" at any one time. Ok so suppose there were only 4 sims living at each lot, that makes the 20 - fine. But, one of the lots loaded is your night club. You want it full of people drinking and dancing. Now, do all the sims in those lots walk out of their houses and join you in that night club? What if at least half of them were kids who had already gone to bed? Be a bit of a poor turnout!

No, I can see what they're doing here.

Mad Poster
#16515 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 11:49 AM
I took an image from the mini-videos on The Sims 4 site, the one that shows the neighborhood. I see a sim in the car. Not saying we have vehicles in the base game, it could still be dummy drivers.

Instructor
#16516 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgieSimBoy
Why in 2014 the game engine can’t effortlessly render the five lots in each neighbourhood without loading each one individually seems so restrictive, compared to what they gave us in 2009.

Because the Sims 4 is a 32 bit program. As such it can address only 4 gigs of memory. A 64 bit program, in contrast can address four billion times that memory. With a 32 bit program, memory is an issue. With a 64 bit program it is not. In computing, memory is everything.

64 bit technology has been around for over a decade. So the Sims 4 will start out using antiquated technology. The reason for this is that EA wants to market to people who have antiquated and obsolete computers. This means that those of us who have faster and more powerful computers do not get the benefit of those faster machines.
Lab Assistant
#16517 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkessler
Ikr!?
And instead of "no comment" when people ask about pools, why don't they just say, "Honestly, we are having issues implementing it. Right now it's really unstable and buggy and we don't want to make any promises because it might not end up in the base game." I would have sooo much respect for them for being honest!

No I don’t think the pools are unstable and buggy. They probably want to put them in the next expansion. It could probably be something like The Bold and the Beautiful Emotional Sims. They will introduce also Jacuzzi, high fashion shows, jewelry shops and caviar making. The traits will be Rich Bitch, loser and spoiled brat.
Lab Assistant
#16518 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhedera
In one of the interviews with Graham he said in reference to rabbitholes/work or whatever that there was some big secret they were holding back for Gamescon

Let's nip this in the bud... at no point have I ever said we're holding information back for this year's Gamescom. I don't want people getting expectations due to something falsely attributed to me.

The secret I mentioned in regard to rabbitholes is something I think is pretty freakin' cool though; if I had my way I'd let players discover it for themselves when the game launched. While there's plenty of information I know you all still want about the game, I always lament that we can't launch a Sims game without every single detail being known beforehand - there's no sense of surprise or discovery by the time it releases. Anyway, it's ultimately not my choice if we share it or not, or when that would happen if we do.

Sims Producer Graham Nardone - Follow me on Twitter @SimGuruGraham
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#16519 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisb40
I am starting to worry there is no progression for inactive households if we need to randomize children for families. I hope it don't mean that.

Scripted story progression isn't all that complicated of a feature, so I wouldn't worry.
I mean with TS3 one single modder (Twallan) managed to revamp whole of TS3's story progression!

Nice job, spotting that car driver! I'm pretty convinced at this point that if usable cars are introduced, sims will just drive to the edge of the hood, and after load appear in the destination hood. So we wouldn't see townies actually 'driving' around the world.
Field Researcher
#16520 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:10 PM
Quote:
Let's nip this in the bud... at no point have I ever said we're holding information back for this year's Gamescom. I don't want people getting expectations due to something falsely attributed to me.

The secret I mentioned in regard to rabbitholes is something I think is pretty freakin' cool though; if I had my way I'd let players discover it for themselves when the game launched. While there's plenty of information I know you all still want about the game, I always lament that we can't launch a Sims game without every single detail being known beforehand - there's no sense of surprise or discovery by the time it releases. Anyway, it's ultimately not my choice if we share it or not, or when that would happen if we do.

Oops! Sorry, I thought you said Gamescon but I clearly misinterpreted. I heard *surprise* and got all excited.
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#16521 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:18 PM
Quote:
The secret I mentioned...

New renders, it's like they are whispering SECRETS!

#16522 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Gamer
Because the Sims 4 is a 32 bit program..

Can I ask how you know that?

Lab Assistant
#16523 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhedera
Oops! Sorry, I thought you said Gamescon but I clearly misinterpreted. I heard *surprise* and got all excited.

No worries

It's easy for misinformation to spread after big expos like these - doing my best to correct things where I see something incorrect.

Sims Producer Graham Nardone - Follow me on Twitter @SimGuruGraham
#16524 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:23 PM
Graham, I don't know if you're ready to address this yet, but as there is an all-new game engine it could leave modders struggling to understand the data, even if we manage to get the files unpacked. Do you think someone on the Sims team might be allowed to help us out a little with information about the file formats if necessary?

Field Researcher
#16525 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:25 PM
Quote:
.... While there's plenty of information I know you all still want about the game, I always lament that we can't launch a Sims game without every single detail being known beforehand - there's no sense of surprise or discovery by the time it releases. Anyway, it's ultimately not my choice if we share it or not, or when that would happen if we do.

I hope that babies/toddlers and family elements aren't left as a surprise by whoever is pulling the strings
Locked thread
Page 661 of 817