Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

[UPDATE: Apr-16-24] Apartments & Roommates Fix

by pjsutton Posted 3rd May 2015 at 3:31 PM - Updated 17th Apr 2024 at 4:09 AM by pjsutton : new features!

242 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 202 Feedback Posts, 39 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 6 of 10
Field Researcher
#126 Old 17th Jan 2016 at 5:08 AM
Question, this only works on the lot that are active sim or active household is living in, right?
I can't do it for the lot that is either empty lot or owned by other household (in-active sim/sims)?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#127 Old 17th Jan 2016 at 6:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by csg5vbe3argf
Question, this only works on the lot that are active sim or active household is living in, right?
I can't do it for the lot that is either empty lot or owned by other household (in-active sim/sims)?

Are you asking if inactive lots can be set to have roommates? Yes and no is the answer ... if you switch to an inactive lot, you can then Enable Roommates on that lot, and then switch back to the other lot. It will "remember" your settings as you switch back and forth. If you switch back before any of the roommates appear, I don't believe they will appear.

If you're asking, can you collect rent from roommates on lots that your sim may own ... well, I just decided that I want to try to find out how to do that! So, stay tuned ... maybe!
Field Researcher
#128 Old 17th Jan 2016 at 8:27 AM
Well I was asking both of things that you mentioned in your reply.

1. About this:
Quote: Originally posted by pjsutton
if you switch to an inactive lot, you can then Enable Roommates on that lot, and then switch back to the other lot. It will "remember" your settings as you switch back and forth. If you switch back before any of the roommates appear, I don't believe they will appear.
I was asking if inactive lots can be set to have roommates, without switching the active household, be landlord (collect rent from roommates) and roommates can be tenant?

2. About this:
If you're asking, can you collect rent from roommates on lots that your sim may own ... well, I just decided that I want to try to find out how to do that! So, stay tuned ... maybe!
I was asking if there is way for me to "purchase the additional residential lot", make it able to enable the roommates in that "purchased residential lot", and collect rent from roommates.

Currently, with various mods I have, it let me purchase additional residential rental lots and additional regular residential lots.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#129 Old 17th Jan 2016 at 2:16 PM
Well I was asking both of things that you mentioned in your reply.

1. About this:
I was asking if inactive lots can be set to have roommates, without switching the active household, be landlord (collect rent from roommates) and roommates can be tenant?

2. About this:
I was asking if there is way for me to "purchase the additional residential lot", make it able to enable the roommates in that "purchased residential lot", and collect rent from roommates.

Currently, with various mods I have, it let me purchase additional residential rental lots and additional regular residential lots.

1. Not currently, the way it is coded. But I'd like to be able to do this. So you could function as a "landlord" buying up properties all over town and renting them out.

2. Yes, with NRaas' Story Progression Money mod, you can do this. I think it is a bit confusing, though. Was hoping to see if I could do the same thing without having to use NRaas SP.
Field Researcher
#130 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 2:13 AM
1. Not currently, the way it is coded. But I'd like to be able to do this. So you could function as a "landlord" buying up properties all over town and renting them out.

2. Yes, with NRaas' Story Progression Money mod, you can do this. I think it is a bit confusing, though. Was hoping to see if I could do the same thing without having to use NRaas SP.

1. Oh, ok, cool. Hope you figure out how to do it. If not, it's ok. I know modding is hard. I learned it is hard by trying to create my custom career from scratch, which I gave up during creating it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#131 Old 21st Jul 2016 at 5:09 AM
If anyone is interested in testing a new version of the mod which lets you own properties (NRaas Story Progression Money required) and collect rent for each Sim living there, please send me a PM! Thanks!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#132 Old 27th Jul 2016 at 8:59 PM
Thanks ;)
Field Researcher
#133 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 1:09 AM
Not sure if someone already asked this or not, but for me, I should ask.

I have read the description of this mod and had a question / questions regarding it.

This is what I want / trying to do:
1. Build Apartment (with several floors: each floor has several houses in single Apartment Building) and zone the lot as Apartment
2. Move different families/household (including active family) into the Apartment.
3. Apartment is not owned by anyone / might owned by real estate people / how it is for (same as) real life apartment.
4. each families or households that are live in this Apartment pay rent.
5. etc*

How do I suppose to use or setup to use above stuffs that I wanted to do?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#134 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 2:47 AM
Not sure if someone already asked this or not, but for me, I should ask.

I have read the description of this mod and had a question / questions regarding it.

This is what I want / trying to do:
1. Build Apartment (with several floors: each floor has several houses in single Apartment Building) and zone the lot as Apartment
2. Move different families/household (including active family) into the Apartment.
3. Apartment is not owned by anyone / might owned by real estate people / how it is for (same as) real life apartment.
4. each families or households that are live in this Apartment pay rent.
5. etc*

How do I suppose to use or setup to use above stuffs that I wanted to do?

#2 is the tricky part -- it doesn't work like Apartments did in TS2. You can *sort of* do this 2 separate ways, but you'll still only be able to control 1 family:

- Move in your family, then enable Roommate Services from the smart phone. You can choose the number, etc. Then you can use the locked doors and bed assignments to have certain roommates assigned to certain apartments. In this manner, they would split the cost of the rent with you, depending on how many there are.
- You could probably also do something with Master Controller and "Add Roommate" but I haven't played around with that much -- the advantage being if that allowed you to actually CHOOSE the people you wanted in there as roommates.

Now, there is a mod at NRaas, Ani's Apartment Mod, that simulates having mutliple families in the same building and makes them separate, but there are some bugs in there. (and I don't like how inactive families -within the same apartment- with that mod can't have their funds added to, example, when you see them come home from work, the money will be added to the active family, not the correct one. Also, someone told me her mod doesn't work well with University).

For #3, it doesn't matter who it is owned by. If no sim in your town owns the apartment building, the residents still pay the rent - it just doesn't "go" anywhere. If a Sim in your town owned the building, they would get the rent payments when they are made.

Does that clarify for you?
Field Researcher
#135 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 6:12 AM
#2 is the tricky part -- it doesn't work like Apartments did in TS2. You can *sort of* do this 2 separate ways, but you'll still only be able to control 1 family:

- Move in your family, then enable Roommate Services from the smart phone. You can choose the number, etc. Then you can use the locked doors and bed assignments to have certain roommates assigned to certain apartments. In this manner, they would split the cost of the rent with you, depending on how many there are.
- You could probably also do something with Master Controller and "Add Roommate" but I haven't played around with that much -- the advantage being if that allowed you to actually CHOOSE the people you wanted in there as roommates.

Now, there is a mod at NRaas, Ani's Apartment Mod, that simulates having mutliple families in the same building and makes them separate, but there are some bugs in there. (and I don't like how inactive families -within the same apartment- with that mod can't have their funds added to, example, when you see them come home from work, the money will be added to the active family, not the correct one. Also, someone told me her mod doesn't work well with University).

For #3, it doesn't matter who it is owned by. If no sim in your town owns the apartment building, the residents still pay the rent - it just doesn't "go" anywhere. If a Sim in your town owned the building, they would get the rent payments when they are made.

Does that clarify for you?

Yeah, thanks millions.
Lab Assistant
#136 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 3:40 AM
Is this mod compatible with Ani's Apartment mod?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#137 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 5:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mekia02
Is this mod compatible with Ani's Apartment mod?

It should be - however, I would make sure to use my method to disable Roommates - just go to the phone, Real Estate and Travel, and make sure they are disabled (by making sure it says "enabled").

Everything else from her mod should still work the same way :-)
Lab Assistant
#138 Old 25th Aug 2016 at 11:30 PM
Sorry PJ but I've found a problem using this mod when Ani's Apartment Mod is already installed and set up on an inactive household in an existing saved game.

On load-up, the "Active Family" within Ani's mod is fine but the "Inactive Family" start to leave their home lot. Their map tags (using NRaas Tagger) state they are 'Going home' even though technically, they are already at home. They travel to a remote place in the world and then completely disappear. :o The 'Focus' interaction in Master Controller is unable to locate them and it's as if they've been totally annihilated.

Is it possible to fix this or just better not to use these two mods together at all? :-)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#139 Old 25th Aug 2016 at 11:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sarah_Sims
Sorry PJ but I've found a problem using this mod when Ani's Apartment Mod is already installed and set up on an inactive household in an existing saved game.

On load-up, the "Active Family" within Ani's mod is fine but the "Inactive Family" start to leave their home lot. Their map tags (using NRaas Tagger) state they are 'Going home' even though technically, they are already at home. They travel to a remote place in the world and then completely disappear. :o The 'Focus' interaction in Master Controller is unable to locate them and it's as if they've been totally annihilated.

Is it possible to fix this or just better not to use these two mods together at all? :-)

How does Ani's mod usually work in that situation? Because mine does this even without that mod - when you switch active households, anyone who was an NPC roommate "leaves" - but when you go to play that house again, they will "come back". Although sometimes, it is different NPC's.

I know why this happens but I've tried to stop it, but I was unsuccessful... I have a feeling the same thing is going on here.
Lab Assistant
#140 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 12:55 AM
How does Ani's mod usually work in that situation? Because mine does this even without that mod - when you switch active households, anyone who was an NPC roommate "leaves" - but when you go to play that house again, they will "come back". Although sometimes, it is different NPC's.

I know why this happens but I've tried to stop it, but I was unsuccessful... I have a feeling the same thing is going on here.

I don't think Ani's mod uses the NPC roommate system at all. Somehow she disables it. The inactive sims in one of her apartment lots are not considered roommates as far as I know and I've never had any of them leave before. There is an option in her mod to "Stop EA Roommates" but I'm not sure if this is what's doing it even though I've never used the option manually. :-)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#141 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 4:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sarah_Sims
I don't think Ani's mod uses the NPC roommate system at all. Somehow she disables it. The inactive sims in one of her apartment lots are not considered roommates as far as I know and I've never had any of them leave before. There is an option in her mod to "Stop EA Roommates" but I'm not sure if this is what's doing it even though I've never used the option manually. :-)

Hmm I'll have to look into it more. Can you send me a PM here with some more info?? Describe how it used to work and what it's doing now.

She & I have used the same method of disabling roommates...
Lab Assistant
#142 Old 27th Aug 2016 at 3:37 PM
Hmm I'll have to look into it more. Can you send me a PM here with some more info?? Describe how it used to work and what it's doing now.

She & I have used the same method of disabling roommates...

Sorry PJ, didn't see your reply here. Do you still want me to send you a PM or does my response at NRaas answer your question? :-)
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#143 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 4:32 AM
Brilliant <3
Test Subject
#144 Old 11th Oct 2016 at 10:19 AM
Great Mod! I didn't know landlords could only live in an apartment type lot to get payments from tenants in other apartment lots.
Initially my landlord was living in a normal residential lot and I was confused why I wasn't getting any payments/tenant notices even though I owned some rental lots.
Managed to change lot type to apartment to fix this.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#145 Old 13th Oct 2016 at 11:20 AM
Thank you so much for this mod, makes the game so much more realistic and fun!
Top Secret Researcher
#146 Old 12th Nov 2016 at 10:36 PM
Hi, I can't tell you why but it somehow conflicts with Missy's apprenticeship career mods.
https://missyhissysjobcentre.wordpr...-student-board/
I've been wondering why my teenagers couldn't do those anymore but I finally got around to testing and once I took out this one, it worked again. In case you want to look into it.
Scholar
#147 Old 26th Nov 2016 at 7:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
Hi, I can't tell you why but it somehow conflicts with Missy's apprenticeship career mods.
I've been wondering why my teenagers couldn't do those anymore but I finally got around to testing and once I took out this one, it worked again. In case you want to look into it.

I think something else is causing your teens to not be able to do the apprenticeships because I have all of MissyHissy's apprenticeships and pjsutton's mod installed and everything works as it should. My teens are attending their apprenticeship 'jobs' as they should.
Make sure you clear the scriptcache when you install or uninstall any of these mods and try again
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#148 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 3:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rgnrk198
Great Mod! I didn't know landlords could only live in an apartment type lot to get payments from tenants in other apartment lots.
Initially my landlord was living in a normal residential lot and I was confused why I wasn't getting any payments/tenant notices even though I owned some rental lots.
Managed to change lot type to apartment to fix this.

It shouldn't have to be an apartment lot for the landlord to collect the money -- they just have to have a property they owned. Do you have NRaas Story Progression-Money installed? It won't work without that.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#149 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 3:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175

Yes, it shouldn't conflict with any of those, so I have no idea what problem you're having...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#150 Old 3rd Jan 2017 at 11:46 PM
I found (thanks to @desiree101 :-) ) a bug in this preventing bills and rent being collected in a really specific instance ... will upload after testing the fixed version!
Page 6 of 10