Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Apr 2020 at 4:20 PM Last edited by Bxring : 3rd Apr 2020 at 4:24 PM. Reason: Add more information

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Late Night
Default Camera panning lag
My actual game runs pretty smoothly, with the occasional lag and jump but it's bearable.

When panning the camera around [changing it's direction/view] my game seems to slightly stutter and lag and that's extremely annoying. I've been told it's nothing to do with the game, but the camera. Is there an easy fix for this? I don't have all the expansion packs or stuff packs, but I have a fair load of mods and cc. I'm not sure what my graphics card is, and my game is patch 1.69 with medium graphic settings, but high tree detail. It also occurs when switching spectate from different sims. (meaning when I am playing as sim A, I switch to play as sim B).

(all important information highlighted in bold).

~Bxring~
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#3 Old 5th Apr 2020 at 5:11 AM
So could a rundown of specs for your computer. Video card, etc. Usually a lag or stutter is due to video card rendering, at least in my experience. Turn down graphics a teeny bit (does the tree detail really need to be that high) and see if that helps.

Dead Ringers
Discord: RedBaroness13
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Apr 2020 at 5:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChickenMadam
So could a rundown of specs for your computer. Video card, etc. Usually a lag or stutter is due to video card rendering, at least in my experience. Turn down graphics a teeny bit (does the tree detail really need to be that high) and see if that helps.

I turned down my graphics a bit, the camera panning is happening less, but there's still lagging going on. Any way to fix it completely?

~Bxring~
Undead Molten Llama
#5 Old 7th Apr 2020 at 6:18 PM
Whether you can fix it completely depends on a lot of factors. Like, whether the lag is caused by insufficient hardware or because you're, for instance, playing a giant world with a bunch of trees on it that even a high-spec computer would have some trouble rendering quickly. Or both. Like ChickenMadam said, such lag is usually a result of your video card not being able to keep up with what you're demanding of it as you pan around. If you've turned down your graphics settings as much as you're willing to tolerate, then the next step would be thinning out your world a bit. If the world you're playing in is heavily wooded, for instance, then you might want to go into world editor and remove a percentage of the trees. It really all depends on the situation.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 9th Apr 2020 at 3:57 AM
^^What iCad said. For example; my Twinbrook is laggy as heck. Why? Because it's full of CC, trees, etc etc etc. So I have had to make adjustments for my picture taking, and it's NOT the world I use just to play or build. I use Builder's Island to build - less "stuff" in the world, less lag. Had to remove some of the trees in my bayou in TB to get that particular lot to not lag (after clearing everything else out except the commercial buildings/removing people etc.)

The less strain on your GPU, the less lag you'll have - the less stuff the game has to render (CC, trees, etc) and the less detailed, the less the lag will be.

Dead Ringers
Discord: RedBaroness13
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Apr 2020 at 8:53 PM
I didn't think that trees would cause that much lag, but obviously I was wrong by a long-shot. I'll go into "Edit Town" now and remove some trees and un-used buildings/lots. Thanks for the help! I'll update you on whether it was effective ( which it 99.9% will be ). :D

~Bxring~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Apr 2020 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I noticed you haven't posted a video of the stutter or posted your specs.

A lot of speculations here and trials and errors.

Yeah.. graphics... seriously? Unless you're running a system from 2005 or integrated GPU with lots of mods and ccs, etc... this information is so outdated. TS3 does not require a strong GPU, most people mistaken it because it is a 32-bit application running on huge virtual cache. As I've explained countless times now, a lot of "rendering" has nothing to do with your GPU, but loading textures from the virtual cache. In these instances, if your GPU is set on regular operating mode it will actually "drop" frequency, in order to cool down, while it waits for your disc cache to load those textures.

Stuttering during panning can be "normal" as this is an old 32-bit application doing its best on a modern platform. However, there could be possible problems such as not setting your VRAM parameters correct on new GPUs, so you're caching even more, or you're running out of RAM because you have too many applications open, again swapping virtual OS cache. Or you have some heavy core or script mods doing something.

Either way, you're making everyone guess what is going on because you are not providing your "deviceconfig" log file OR a video which we can see if your stuttering is normal.

Shall I attach a video of it now? As said, it might help.

~Bxring~