Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#1501 Old 4th Mar 2023 at 3:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Yall want this game to be finished in 4 years when it's worked on by (estimate number) of TWELVE DEVELOPERS??? If you want a sooner game, how about you try being apart of that number to see yourself in their shoes. We don't demand/ask standards for movie makers if that was the situation, wouldn't we?

I am not even much of a fan of this so to me it does not really matter when they finish it. I have no demand for it to be finished now. My point is just that it could be done sooner if they skipped some of the things that IMO are not that important, such as being able to adjust a counter or bed width, or whatever. Get a good, solid, basic game done and leave off a few of the bells and whistles for now?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#1502 Old 4th Mar 2023 at 4:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Well, Cities Skylines was done in around two years with between nine and thirteen people. But they probably had a larger budget!
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/12m-s...uilding-success

Yes, and that's how it stayed. Although it is a fun game, it has been stagnant for a long time, it is very similar to the sims 4. It does not go deep and continues to release expansions with the same mechanics. Where are mechanics like politics and everything that should make the game fun once you have a city built? It is also a fact that the game is unplayable without mods that fix the most basic things.
Top Secret Researcher
#1503 Old 6th Mar 2023 at 6:14 PM
That game Paradox Techtonic's been working on: is indeed a life sim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNhV-Gnjdy8

Looks like more info on the 20th.
Mad Poster
#1504 Old 6th Mar 2023 at 6:21 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 6th Mar 2023 at 6:49 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG

Looks a bit generic graphically, but I think this will be the real Sims 3 successor (open world 2.0) that people have been looking for.

That being said, Paradox is great with mods so I do expect full mod integration from Day 1.

Fundamentally, this means that with a different focus (more on open world vs total customization like Project Rene and Paralives), I wonder how EA will respond?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#1505 Old 6th Mar 2023 at 6:29 PM

Oh wow, Rod Humble! That's a blast from the past, but this looks like it could be good.
Forum Resident
#1506 Old 6th Mar 2023 at 7:19 PM

Certainly much more interesting to me than Paralives with its art style is. Can we skip to the 20th already?
Scholar
#1507 Old 7th Mar 2023 at 8:06 AM

That trailer gave me a Sims 3 vibe. Not just because of what looked like an open world, but also the graphics style. I also expect this to release before Paralives, simply because the Paralives team is a small team (10 ppl atm according to their road map page) and they have still a long way to go before Early Access.

What I've seen so far from Paralives though, are quite innovative ideas. The way you can customize everything. Not just colour, but also shape. Like they have shown with the building vid. Their smarter animation system that automatically adapts. So many smart ideas where just one object, like a window, can be transformed in different shapes, sizes etc. Single bed into a double bed. Modular couches that not just change colour, but also cushions etc.

I expect at least that Paralives will have the smarter building system and best catering to the community. Both will probably have great mod support. And Life For You will have plenty of DLC, because Paradox Interactive :p

But I am so happy that we have two arriving competitors now. Who knows, EA might even feel forced to deliver quality this time
Test Subject
#1508 Old 7th Mar 2023 at 3:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl
What I've seen so far from Paralives though, are quite innovative ideas. The way you can customize everything. Not just colour, but also shape. Like they have shown with the building vid. Their smarter animation system that automatically adapts. So many smart ideas where just one object, like a window, can be transformed in different shapes, sizes etc. Single bed into a double bed. Modular couches that not just change colour, but also cushions etc.

Is there an actual video that shows this system?
Scholar
#1509 Old 7th Mar 2023 at 6:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by madoka99

You should visit their website to find examples and read their blogs for most things. The kiss animation shows how kissing height differences works. Now that could be manually made this way, but it also ties into their way of explaining on how they are planning to make their animation smarter so it can adapt this way. This would make a height slider for sims possible while animated interactions would still look natural.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#1510 Old 7th Mar 2023 at 10:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl

Quote: Originally posted by madoka99

Test Subject
#1511 Old 7th Mar 2023 at 11:13 PM
@simsample What I meant was a video of Paras interacting with those highly customizable objects.

@mithrak_nl I've found this video with Paras kissing but those are two different animations, so I'm not so sure if it's really adaptive animation being shown there.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#1512 Old 7th Mar 2023 at 11:45 PM
No, I think they've been very quiet with that; which is one of the things people were grumbling about. Yes we know we can change table height, yes we know we can put things on there, but will the Paras clip with it? That's what we don't know.
Lab Assistant
#1513 Old 9th Mar 2023 at 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannaG

Hmmm, Paradox Interactive...
Vampire: The Masquerade — Bloodlines 2 with Chris Avellone and Brian Mitsoda, now Sims 3 clone with Rod Humble... well, it seems that this publisher has formed its own style of publishing video games.
I will be happy if I am wrong.

Welcome to Sim-Tropico!

More about Sim-Tropico:

Sim-Tropico_blog
Sim-Tropico_tumblr

Happy simming!
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#1514 Old 10th Mar 2023 at 1:01 AM
Mad Poster
#1515 Old 10th Mar 2023 at 3:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fascisthater
Paralives posted this 3-9-2023: https://store.steampowered.com/news...797824786748035

I do not like them at all. I know some of you do, but I do not.
Scholar
#1516 Old 10th Mar 2023 at 4:53 PM
I kinda agree. I was ok so far with how the parasims looked, but the facial hair looks fake.
Field Researcher
#1517 Old 20th Mar 2023 at 8:22 PM Last edited by kirabook : 21st Mar 2023 at 5:42 PM.
The developer deleted their twitter I think for whatever reason, but a long time ago they posted a detailed explanation on how their procedural animation works with characters and objects. It has to have been a year or so since then. I assume the reason the twitter was deleted was because they now post that kind of information and in-depth explanations on Patreon now.

One of their most recent bug clips show that it is indeed procedural animation. It's a bug so they aren't facing the direction their supposed to, but they will adapt to other paras and objects regardless of height
https://twitter.com/ParalivesGame/s...392282458050560

Realistically, there will probably be some kind of limitation once you start getting ridiculous (like the couch fort). I think most things, like a bunch of clutter sitting on a counter, will work fine. In the past, doing that kind of stuff might've been impossible or too much work. Each position and animation would've needed its own couple of animations handmade by an animator or something. With procedural animation (and procedural generation which I don't think Paralives has a need for), you just need to create a handful of those animations and use math to do the rest. It's really freakin' cool. I see clips and indie devs using it and testing it all the time. The real challenge is just making it look natural and not like a bunch of intricate math trying to figure out how two points meet. (it's too bad my own project doesn't need procedural stuff. But maybe one day. I'd like to try it)
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#1518 Old 27th Mar 2023 at 1:59 AM
Top Secret Researcher
#1519 Old 27th Mar 2023 at 5:21 AM Last edited by 310175 : 27th Mar 2023 at 5:55 AM.
I love that they actually play their game.
Mad Poster
#1520 Old 27th Mar 2023 at 8:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fascisthater
Paralives posted this 3-23-2023: https://store.steampowered.com/news...330936531271643

Seems like a filter post, because we already seen and know we can build as such.

But ut does give some inspiration, as I never thought of building a house with a outdoor gap/space in the center.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Lab Assistant
#1521 Old 30th Mar 2023 at 4:59 PM
Some pictures of food from the Paralives' team!

All of the food look tasty to me and especially from afar. The sandwiches look particulary tasty, but the fruit looks the best in my opinion.

We also need to note that this is all in progress which means that everything will be even better (from meshes to textures).
Top Secret Researcher
#1522 Old 30th Mar 2023 at 5:55 PM
I really like how it looks!
Top Secret Researcher
#1523 Old 6th Apr 2023 at 4:59 PM
Early Mix of Paralives' sound track. Build mode and outside night and day. I really like the atmosphere it conveys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmTzipfBBQw
Inventor
#1524 Old 6th Apr 2023 at 6:17 PM
So far, I like Paralives better than Life By You, mainly because it agrees better with my view of what a Sims-like game should look like. But this is also its problem: so far, it's mainly looks and if this is a race (and at least up to a certain degree it is), they are losing it. Life By You should (and probably will) launch on Sept.12 and Paralives is still only "coming soon", as it has been for a long while. It also has many more unfinished threads, as well as quite a few that have not even been started on yet; I would be surprised if it launches in a year or so. I am prepared to wait - but how many others are? Or buy both? Or all three of them - even if we don't know much about TS5, it will appear as surely as the taxman's bill.
Top Secret Researcher
#1525 Old 6th Apr 2023 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pico22
So far, I like Paralives better than Life By You, mainly because it agrees better with my view of what a Sims-like game should look like. But this is also its problem: so far, it's mainly looks and if this is a race (and at least up to a certain degree it is), they are losing it. Life By You should (and probably will) launch on Sept.12 and Paralives is still only "coming soon", as it has been for a long while. It also has many more unfinished threads, as well as quite a few that have not even been started on yet; I would be surprised if it launches in a year or so. I am prepared to wait - but how many others are? Or buy both? Or all three of them - even if we don't know much about TS5, it will appear as surely as the taxman's bill.

I'm also leaning more towards Paralives, but I also know less about the game play than I know about Life by You's gameplay. I'm perfectly happy to wait and play my Sim3 and Sims2 games. The September 12 date is only an early release and I am just fine to wait until I hear from people what they think. Maybe I'll buy it early or maybe I'll wait for the full release, but that doesn't mean I won't buy Paralives too. I think we are almost conditioned to feel that there is only one option.

I do hope Paralives doesn't throw in the towel just because there is another game out. At the moment, they feel quite different. The less said about whatever mobile game the Sims5 will deteriorate to, the better.
Page 61 of 73