Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Mar 2021 at 7:50 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 freezes my laptop
It just happenes for no reason with or without CC. I reseted my laptop completely thinking it was a virus from CC, graphic card issues or other stuff but it wasn't actually. It was coming from The Sims 2 itself. I tested my laptop by using it a couple of days without CC files nor the game and it was completely normal. I kept the backed up CC files on the computer other laptop and it hasn't had any issues. Then I had those files in my computer and didn't have any issues but as soon as I installed The Sims 2 it was starting to freeze. I ran my game with some custom lots and a Pleasantly Thriving but without any CC and I experienced lagging. I wish I knew the issue because I really wish I could play it.

Specs: Win 10, 64x, Intel Graphics card, 8GB RAM
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Mar 2021 at 8:08 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Mar 2021 at 8:25 PM.
Have you done the 4GB patch to increase the amount of RAM your game can use?
Have you done GraphicRules fixes? This can help make the game see the chip properly

What kind of Intel chip do you have (Intel aren't cards, they're integrated chips, so some may have lower performance than a card overall). Most of them are not meant for heavier games, but for less heavy types of applications (which is why laptops meant for gaming and/or heavy tasks rarely don't come with just an Intel card).

Newer Intel chips are in theory powerful enough to deal with TS2, but in practice it depends on your setup. For some people it works, for others not. Either way it's not adviceable to use extremely high settings and lighting hacks and whatnots. Lag or graphic issues is common. Moderate settings and turning off things like shaders, smooth edges, shadows and reflections could help (some settings more than others - depends what you're willing to sacrifice). Turning off background programs is also a good idea, because the fewer programs the laptop has to process, the more computing power the game has.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Mar 2021 at 12:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Have you done the 4GB patch to increase the amount of RAM your game can use?
Have you done GraphicRules fixes? This can help make the game see the chip properly

I did both and nothing changed.

Quote:
What kind of Intel chip do you have (Intel aren't cards, they're integrated chips, so some may have lower performance than a card overall). Most of them are not meant for heavier games, but for less heavy types of applications (which is why laptops meant for gaming and/or heavy tasks rarely don't come with just an Intel card).

Quote:
Newer Intel chips are in theory powerful enough to deal with TS2, but in practice it depends on your setup. For some people it works, for others not. Either way it's not adviceable to use extremely high settings and lighting hacks and whatnots. Lag or graphic issues is common. Moderate settings and turning off things like shaders, smooth edges, shadows and reflections could help (some settings more than others - depends what you're willing to sacrifice). Turning off background programs is also a good idea, because the fewer programs the laptop has to process, the more computing power the game has.

I guess i'll try that but although I'm obessed with high settings and Gunmod's light (but I haven't used it yet as i'm writting this).
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 16th Mar 2021 at 2:23 PM
You will probably need to do dxdiag to find out the chip. 8RAM is on the edge but should be okay.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 16th Mar 2021 at 4:40 PM
Not sure if modern CPUs can be entirely compared to the minimum requirements for TS2 (I don't keep track with CPUs, and it could depend on the setup of the CPU/turbo/etc.) but the minimum requirements are listed as 2.4 GhZ for all the EPs together, and by the looks of it you have 1.6 GhZ, so it's possible the problem could be there somewhere. If it turbos up to 3.40 GHz like internet says it can, then I guess it should work, but the starting point of 1.6 GhZ could be one of the reasons why it's struggling. Just a theory, though. Processors these days are more powerful and probably built somewhat differently than 10+ years back.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Mar 2021 at 2:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Not sure if modern CPUs can be entirely compared to the minimum requirements for TS2 (I don't keep track with CPUs, and it could depend on the setup of the CPU/turbo/etc.) but the minimum requirements are listed as 2.4 GhZ for all the EPs together, and by the looks of it you have 1.6 GhZ, so it's possible the problem could be there somewhere. If it turbos up to 3.40 GHz like internet says it can, then I guess it should work, but the starting point of 1.6 GhZ could be one of the reasons why it's struggling. Just a theory, though. Processors these days are more powerful and probably built somewhat differently than 10+ years back.

I think it definitely doesn't like the newer PC, I tried everything but nothing worked. I had all EPs and SPs + 15GB of CC on my 10 year old 32bit, Win 7, 3RAM PC and it worked like a charm, not a single lag, crash nor freeze. I also didn't have issues for Sims 3 on the modern pc except for the usual lagging and the fact that my laptop is not meant for gaming. I just hope that I won't damage my PC from restarting it too much.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 18th Mar 2021 at 3:00 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 18th Mar 2021 at 3:13 PM.
Lagging with TS3 is also a symptom - and TS3 is known to be tougher on the computer than TS2 is, especially with certain EPs like IP.

You don't by any chance have issues with Win10 not properly updating lately? I've had some problems there, which causes it to for anything between half an hour to an hour from startup (when searching for updates and trying to update) it uses up to 100% of the disk and also sometimes uses a lot of the memory and processor, which sometimes slows the laptop to a crawl (so bad it makes Explorer or whatever programs I'm running unresponsive for several minutes). It's been an issue with the past couple or so Windows updates (and by the looks of the Windows support forums, several people have the same issues). A couple of the update processes will just get stuck at a somewhat high memory use, too. Been trying several things to fix it, but it's kinda stuck in a loop of not updating, so I'm hoping it gets fixed with the next updates.

I had the 100% disk issue at other times too, which was partially fixed by changing the power plan away from the default "balanced" (weird, but it worked - whenever the failed update stops, the disk bumps back down to less than 10%). High disk usage can make programs installed there slow or unresponsive.

You can check if you have it by right-clicking the task bar and choosing "task manager". Wait for a bit until it's responsive and everything shows (it's not as quick as the one in Win7) and then click the second tab. Look for the "Disk" - if it's close to 100% you may have that problem or something similar. Same if the memory or processor use are very high compared to what you have and what you have running when the laptop is idling.

Also check the Windows updates in the settings and see if you have a warning message for a pending update. This could mean that update wasn't successful.