Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Mar 2021 at 10:47 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Dreaded Squiggly Line Appears on NPC. What should I do?
I am always paranoid about things that could lead to potential corruption. So yes, I definitely do not mix sims from neighborhoods, don't make certain NPCs selectable or interact in a way not intended by the game (I just avoid or block them), don't save lots while someone is on the phone, etc. I have the usual must-have mods to prevent corruption (nounlinkondelte, anticorruption, notownierregen, nodormieregen, etc.). I use the BatBox to delete Gossip regularly and fix any corruption if it appears (thankfully rare for me).

I haven't seen any squiggly lines in a long time until this NPC Dorm Cafeteria Lady. What worries me is that the squiggly lines in the thought cloud are from an NPC Dorm Cafeteria Lady. I am unsure if it's safe to make this NPC Cafeteria Lady selectable then use the BatBox to delete corruption. I used Matilda's HoodChecker to check for an invalid reference but it couldn't find any regarding this particular NPC.

What should I do?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 23rd Mar 2021 at 11:32 AM
Hi Hellken, I believe that is the “good” kind of squiggly line, not the one that means corruption. Check here: https://midgethetree.tumblr.com/pos...bubble-always-a
Field Researcher
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2021 at 6:11 PM
The bubble shows all need icons squished together and is not harmful to your game.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 23rd Mar 2021 at 8:17 PM
She could just be thinknig about a regular object, I have gates that give the squiggly lines when pets think about them. This is nothing dangerous.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 23rd Mar 2021 at 11:44 PM
Yeah, that's harmless. I see this mainly when sims are sweeping up ashes from the ground. It's just where the game gets confused and squashes a bunch of random icons together in a thought bubble.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 24th Mar 2021 at 12:53 AM
Was something blocking the Chef? I know that the squished interest symbols tend to pop up if somethings blocking them and the game doesn't know what it is properly (or if theres a modded item outside the window when they look, but it doesn't seem like that since she's carrying a plate). It shouldn't be a worry unless the inside of the bubble cannot be recognised at all.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Mar 2021 at 6:27 PM Last edited by Hellken : 24th Mar 2021 at 6:40 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by mimipossa
Hi Hellken, I believe that is the “good” kind of squiggly line, not the one that means corruption. Check here: https://midgethetree.tumblr.com/pos...bubble-always-a

Oooh... I had no idea there was a "good" kind of squiggly line. Thanks for the Tumblr article!

Quote:
If the squiggly lines didn’t look like this then it‘s not corruption, it’s a bunch of speech bubble images compressed together. That happens sometimes even in neighborhoods with no corruption and is nothing to worry about.

@mate54 @Ovenhole @CrystalFlame360 I never knew that icons getting squished was even a thing.

@Burnziie Yeah there's a counter in front of the NPC Dormie Cafeteria Lady.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 24th Mar 2021 at 11:16 PM
Like others said, they made us corruption-paranoid but the dreaded squiggly lines don't actually mean unavoidable doom. Sometimes there is no valid icon for the bubble and the "lines" appear, for instance when a sim looks through the window at something that, for whatever reason, doesn't have an appropriate icon (CC, ...). You are keeping your game clean and using the Hoodchecker regularly, you don't have to worry.
Always have a recent back up copy of your hoods available just in case and you're good.